Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Glitchbit,

I replaced my voodoobattery with the one in your kext folder, and used kext utility on it. Nothing changed. If I could only get this autodimming function to work, I'd be happy. The only reason it's really important is battery life, since the standard battery just doesn't have a long life on OSX.

Also, I was wondering which screen you have. Could that be effecting my autodimming, if you have the standard def screen, and I have the HD 1600x900 version? Is there something in your DSDT for that?

Everything is running pretty sweet on my 14z with SL. I just picked up a Magic Mouse last night at the Apple Store and it works great. I like it because it is very thin and the touch surface is a nice addition. (The Apple Store dude asked me "Which Mac do you have?"...Long story short, I lied...)

But, I have a few niggles that I just wanted some feedback on as to whether others have the same issues:

1. Bluetooth slow to reenable after wake up from sleep.
  2. Audio level at ZERO when I power on. Move the slider up and audio works.
  3. Sleep and screen saver are still hit and miss. Sometimes OK, sometimes doesn't engage.
  4. Trackpad is very squirrely. Typically, it acts more like a tablet than a trackpad. Using multiple swipes to move the cursor completely across the screen does not work because the second swipe just puts the cursor back on the screen at about where I touched the trackpad (like a tablet). Also seems ultrafast and sensitive. Could I be using the wrong trackpad kext? What are you using?

Of course, the usual suspect of popping audio, but apparently we just have to live with that.

Any feedback or opinions are appreciated.

Glitchbit,

I replaced my voodoobattery with the one in your kext folder, and used kext utility on it. Nothing changed. If I could only get this autodimming function to work, I'd be happy. The only reason it's really important is battery life, since the standard battery just doesn't have a long life on OSX.

Also, I was wondering which screen you have. Could that be effecting my autodimming, if you have the standard def screen, and I have the HD 1600x900 version? Is there something in your DSDT for that?

I have the 1600x900 LCD and autodimming has never worked on mine.

I have the 1600x900 LCD and autodimming has never worked on mine.

I'm guessing we need a different DSDT for the 1600x900 display. I have a potential fix, but I haven't been able to try it because I can't get the code to compile. I'm missing something on how to do that.

BTW, I'm using the Magic mouse myself. I like it as well. Even works well in Windows 7, once you install the driver. Only complaint is I usually have to connect it after a reboot to Windows.

I'm guessing we need a different DSDT for the 1600x900 display. I have a potential fix, but I haven't been able to try it because I can't get the code to compile. I'm missing something on how to do that.

BTW, I'm using the Magic mouse myself. I like it as well. Even works well in Windows 7, once you install the driver. Only complaint is I usually have to connect it after a reboot to Windows.

There is a driver for the Magic Mouse and Windows 7 now? When you say you have to connect it after a reboot, you mean because you have a dual boot (OSX/Windows) or there is some anomaly that requires you to reconnect to Windows 7 everytime?

I'm running the 1600x900 screen so it is not specific to the DSDT, whatever your problem is I am pretty sure you are looking in the wrong places. I wish I knew what is different about your setup vs mine, because I know I hate hearing that something works for User X yet the same files don't work for me as expected. But I am telling you its got to be related to something else, maybe another OS or your bios setup or version is doing something weird, I dunno.

Only other thing I can say is that I always install osx using SnowOSX v3.6, but I am trying to remember, was it you that said that disc did not work for you?

Of course they say if you use a distro like that people here won't "support" you lol.

I decompiled your DSDT.aml file, and then tried to recompile it with iASLme. The following errors showed up in the log, and of course no DSDT.aml file was generated.

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20100304 [Mar  9 2010] with Fix Integer bug
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2010 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

Non-ASCII character [0x80] found in line 31, file offset 0x3F1
Non-ASCII character [0xA4] found in line 31, file offset 0x3F2
Non-ASCII character [0xD9] found in line 33, file offset 0x41A
Non-ASCII character [0xA4] found in line 33, file offset 0x41B
4 non-ASCII characters found in input source text, could be a binary file

The associated code with those lines:

DefinitionBlock ("/DSDT.aml", "DSDT", 1, "DELL  ", "CL09	", 0x06040000)
{
External (WMI0)
External (\_SB_.PCI0.IXVE.IGPU.
ħ)
External (\_SB_.PCI0.IXVE.IGPU.
٤`)

Obviously some of that code is non-asci. Question is, what was it supposed to be?

hmm.. that is odd I had problems decompiling someones dsdt file here in the past myself.. not sure why mine would have the same issue.

Also I am not certain what bootloader I using, whatever bootloader comes on the SnowOSX v3.6 disc is what I am currently using. I have not spent any time upgrading it.

There is a driver for the Magic Mouse and Windows 7 now? When you say you have to connect it after a reboot, you mean because you have a dual boot (OSX/Windows) or there is some anomaly that requires you to reconnect to Windows 7 everytime?

I'm not sure why, but bluetooth is just buggy. Not every single time, but many times when I reboot, Windows 7 thinks it is connected via bluetooth to the mouse, but it the cursor won't do anything. I haven't fooled around with it too much, so there may be an easy fix. The drivers are out there if you do quick google search. Basically, Apple developed the drivers because of Boot Camp, and then someone extracted the drivers from Apple's code, so it really is meant for a dual boot environment, but Apple wasn't quite thinking along the lines of how we dual boot. :)

I'm not sure why, but bluetooth is just buggy. Not every single time, but many times when I reboot, Windows 7 thinks it is connected via bluetooth to the mouse, but it the cursor won't do anything. I haven't fooled around with it too much, so there may be an easy fix. The drivers are out there if you do quick google search. Basically, Apple developed the drivers because of Boot Camp, and then someone extracted the drivers from Apple's code, so it really is meant for a dual boot environment, but Apple wasn't quite thinking along the lines of how we dual boot. :)

I picked up a Magic Mouse last week, and was using it on my 14z just fine. This weekend, I found the "drivers" for Windows, and tried them on my Latitude Z600 w/BT. The mouse works perfectly, even the touch scrolling. The other gestures don't, but I don't care. So far, it has worked everytime for me.

Thanks...

• Like 1

I'm running the 1600x900 screen so it is not specific to the DSDT, whatever your problem is I am pretty sure you are looking in the wrong places.

Okay, screen was the only other difference I could think of. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I need to eliminate what we have in common to see what we don't. It could still be fixed by the DSDT, but until I can figure out how to compile, I'm dead in the water on that issue. I don't think it's working for some others either, so it's still something I want to try and fix.

Only other thing I can say is that I always install osx using SnowOSX v3.6, but I am trying to remember, was it you that said that disc did not work for you?

I didn't say that loader wouldn't work for me. I haven't actually tried that one, but the method I used worked fine for me. Everything else is working. I don't really want to try reinstalling everything to eliminate one minor problem.

Also I am not certain what bootloader I using, whatever bootloader comes on the SnowOSX v3.6 disc is what I am currently using. I have not spent any time upgrading it.

I have a feeling that is where the difference lies. I'm using the latest Chameleon RC5. You may be using a PC EFI release.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using one of these two loaders, which one, I am not sure

- PC EFI 9.4 - boot-9-4 by Netkas

or

- PC EFI 10.5 - Chameleon 2 RC3 (r658) PC EFI 10.5 by Netkas

is PC EFI 10.5 derived from chameleon? All I know is that I can enable themes for the chameleon bootloader if I want, and I did for awhile, but have reverted back to the normal darwin terminal screen.

Step-by-Step Install Guide:
  • This is a very basic step-by-step install guide specifically for the Dell 14z. The 14z runs OS X great! I'm using it as my primary OS on my 14z right now, I actually prefer the 14z over the current gen macbooks because of the 14z's higher-res screen and HDMI output! The 14z works without a hitch, the only minor issues are that the brightness of the screen can not be adjusted and the speakers have the occasional "pop".I hope this guide will help those struggling get their 14z up and running OS X! If anyone has any tips or corrections you think should be made to this guide, feel free to reply in this thread!

• You do not need an external DVD drive for this install so long as you have access to another machine running OS X. This guide assumes you are using a retail image/disc and that you want to run just OS X on your machine - no windows.
  • Special thanks to glitchbit for all his hard work on perfecting the DSDT for the 14z along with his collection of extensions.
  • As with any guide, I am not responsible for any damage you may cause by following this blah blah.

Requirements:

Lingo:

• SLE = System\Library\Extensions
  • EE = Extra\Extensions

Procedure:

1. Follow Lifehacker's "Install Snow Leopard on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required" guide to set up your Snow Leopard Install disc to a bootable pendrive with the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard.pkg tool. You must use a computer already running OS X to do this (real mac or a hackintosh). Basically all your doing is formatting the pendrive with GUID, ripping your install disc to the pendrive and then installing their "magic" package to the pendrive
  2. Boot your laptop and remember to press F12 and select to boot from pendrive once you're ready to install.
  3. Format your destination drive as Mac OS X (Journaled) with Disk Utility
  4. Install OS X with desired customizations (i suggest installing only the base system not the printer drivers etc to save HD space).
  5. Restart and press F12 and select to boot from the USB Pendrive again, once the pendrive boots press the right arrow key on the keyboard to change from "Mac os Install DVD" to "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you named the harddrive). In essence your using the pendrive to boot the harddrive since you haven't installed a bootloader yet). Run through first boot registration etc.
  6. Install ChamelionRC2.0_v3 with the installer
  7. Delete AppleHDA.kext from SLE
  8. Right click IOnetworking.kext in SLE and click "show package contents" and then go to Contents\Plugins and delete AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
  9. Copy the extensions from glitchbit's Extensions-2-4-Aps2.zip to EE
  10. Copy glitchbit's latest DSDT.aml to \Extras
  11. Run KextUtility to fix permissions in SLE and EE
  12. Update system software to 10.6.2 via the Update Software option by clicking the apple in the top left
  13. Shut Down and on boot up, enter the following boot commands when in Chameleon "-v -f"
  14. If all is good you should be booting into a fresh OS X Install with the dock on the bottom of the screen

Not sure if anyone else has tried these steps, but for me, sadly, they did not work.

First, there might be a couple of typos in the above instructions. Should "IONetworking.kext" be "IONetworkingFamily.kext"? There was no IONetworking.kext in my SLE folder. Also, should "\Extras" be "\Extra"?

So, after the initial install, I was able to boot and run through the first boot registration, etc. Interestingly, my keyboard and touchpad did not work. I had to use a USB mouse and keyboard.

I installed Chamelion RC4v3, and did not reboot as instructed, but continued with the steps, as instructed.

Before installing 10.6.2 update, I rebooted. (was this the fatal mistake?)

Upon reboot, I was unable to boot into my OSX install. I get the pretty Chamelion screen with the green lizard, and the nice Apple symbol, the circular thingy goes round and round, then I get a not-so-pretty circle with a slash through it (I'm guessing that symbolizes a fatal error?).

I tried booting with -x, but same fatal error symbol.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Could Chamelion have loaded a bunch of incompatible kexts or does it not do that?

I'll try again, but considering the steps are pretty basic, I don't see where I could have gone wrong.

I'm actually having the same problem as lancorp.

I booted in verbose mode, and when it hangs it keeps repeating:

"Still waiting for root device"

The message before that varies depending on if I boot into -s or -x, or if have ethernet plugged in. However, in every instance I notice messages indicating that it fails to load kexts from com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I'm actually having the same problem as lancorp.

I booted in verbose mode, and when it hangs it keeps repeating:

"Still waiting for root device"

The message before that varies depending on if I boot into -s or -x, or if have ethernet plugged in. However, in every instance I notice messages indicating that it fails to load kexts from com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

FWIW, mine says the same thing when booting in verbose mode...just keeps repeating the message "Still waiting for root device" every minute or so...and I also noticed a bunch of AHCI port messages.

Let me start by saying I didn't follow the guide and I only use glichbits DSDT(Not file pack). But Still waiting for root device means It cant find your harddrive. First make sure your bios is set AHCI not ATA under sata operation. The only file I have in extra is IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. And that's just so the HDD shows up as Internal. The Nvidia chipset uses the MacOs drivers without modification unlike some Intel shows up as Generic, but still boot. Maybe you could write down a string of one of the AHCI errors and we could figure what might be wrong.

You might remove any file files in /Extra relating to AHCIPort injectors or ATAPort Injectors. I can boot with only fakesmc.kext, and VoodooPS2. With basic functionally.

Let me start by saying I didn't follow the guide and I only use glichbits DSDT(Not file pack). But Still waiting for root device means It cant find your harddrive. First make sure your bios is set AHCI not ATA under sata operation. The only file I have in extra is IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. And that's just so the HDD shows up as Internal. The Nvidia chipset uses the MacOs drivers without modification unlike some Intel shows up as Generic, but still boot. Maybe you could write down a string of one of the AHCI errors and we could figure what might be wrong.

You might remove any file files in /Extra relating to AHCIPort injectors or ATAPort Injectors. I can boot with only fakesmc.kext, and VoodooPS2. With basic functionally.

westep23,

Thanks for the help. Currently, I have relegated myself to cloning my existing drive to an eSATA connected HD, then installing that HD into another 14z, then running Chamelion from my USB flash drive. That seems to work and is faster than reinstalling from scratch, at this point.

As I have more 14z's to "hackintize", when time permits, I will try a fresh install again, using both the "guide" and your tips. Thank you!

What's everyone doing about 10.6.3 update? Anyone tried installing it on their 14z? Results?

Thanks!

I did the upgrade. Afterwards you have to revert to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext, otherwise sound will not work. Also, before upgrading, uninstall SleepEnabler.kext. There is a version that works with 10.6.3, however, I do not seem to need it after the upgrade. Others have reported similar results. It may have to do with which bootloader you have.

The only thing not working is Voodoobattery for me. I've just been too lazy to see if there is a new one out.

I did the upgrade. Afterwards you have to revert to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext, otherwise sound will not work. Also, before upgrading, uninstall SleepEnabler.kext. There is a version that works with 10.6.3, however, I do not seem to need it after the upgrade. Others have reported similar results. It may have to do with which bootloader you have.

The only thing not working is Voodoobattery for me. I've just been too lazy to see if there is a new one out.

I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Hey guys, been away from the board for a while. I'll edit the guide with the corrections pointed out. I wanted to have something up for those stuck at a certain point of the install, I typed the guide out fast to get it up asap

Same results with 10.6.3 only need to revert AppleHDA.kext and remove Sleepenabler (I think was unneeded anyway's) Sleep still works. My VoodooBattery still working matter of fact I think I'm using the same since 10.6.0. Or maybe the latest from superhai's website. 32bit havn't test 64bit on 10.6.3.

Just a update on AppleHDA looks like apple removed a lot of functionally in driver. For alot ALC codecs. So we never may be able to go past 10.6.2 Kext. From what read they made It less universal to IntelHDA spec. I do know for sure as of right now I'm not going to be able to just add a few lines to the injector like for the 10.6.2 update.

i reinstalled everything and upgraded to 10.6.3 but i don't have the applehda.kext from 10.6.2. Could someone point me to this or post it so i can download it.

Thanky

Same results with 10.6.3 only need to revert AppleHDA.kext and remove Sleepenabler (I think was unneeded anyway's) Sleep still works. My VoodooBattery still working matter of fact I think I'm using the same since 10.6.0. Or maybe the latest from superhai's website. 32bit havn't test 64bit on 10.6.3.

Just a update on AppleHDA looks like apple removed a lot of functionally in driver. For alot ALC codecs. So we never may be able to go past 10.6.2 Kext. From what read they made It less universal to IntelHDA spec. I do know for sure as of right now I'm not going to be able to just add a few lines to the injector like for the 10.6.2 update.

I think i found the audio file i needed. After some searching. Lastly is I was reading back though the thread and the scroll feature with the trackpad. But i have tried all that i could find. Could anyone help me with this. I have the glitchbit install kexts installed.

I'm running the 1600x900 screen so it is not specific to the DSDT, whatever your problem is I am pretty sure you are looking in the wrong places. I wish I knew what is different about your setup vs mine, because I know I hate hearing that something works for User X yet the same files don't work for me as expected. But I am telling you its got to be related to something else, maybe another OS or your bios setup or version is doing something weird, I dunno.

Of course they say if you use a distro like that people here won't "support" you lol.

hmm.. that is odd I had problems decompiling someones dsdt file here in the past myself.. not sure why mine would have the same issue.

I am having the same problem with the display not dimming when on battery or being able to set the brightness at all. It is kind of weird since every other function button works. Is it at all possible for you to post your dsdt.dsl to have a look at. I am getting decompiler errors when I decompile it and try to compile it again or at least what is supposed to be on line 31.

Oh I did install from a Vanilla snow leopard instead of a distro though. I wonder what the difference is?

Ok I tried the Chameleon 10.5 loader still the same If anyone has the brightness buttons working could you please post your com.apple.Boot.plist.

OK I know its bad to reply to myself but I got the screen brightness buttons working. But I am not really sure how I used them in the Bios to dim the screen and after the next reboot they worked inside of OSX with both pcefi 10.5 and the latest chameleon.