Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

perhaps you might have already tried for audio:

1. rename AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to something like AppleHDA.kext-bk so that you can always revert back if need be but this kext has to be either renamed or deleted from the S/L/E

2. then look at post 171 and get the HDAIDT.kext and throw that into your E/E dir.

3. run the kext utility to fix permission and to rebuild the .mkext. reboot and hopefully after reboot, you will have sound.

for the wifi, take a look at post 247 and make sure to use gbit_14zDSDT_audio DSDT file and his IO80211Family

Thanks Ill try those suggestions a little later today. Nice to have specific locations to look.

perhaps you might have already tried for audio:

1. rename AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to something like AppleHDA.kext-bk so that you can always revert back if need be but this kext has to be either renamed or deleted from the S/L/E

2. then look at post 171 and get the HDAIDT.kext and throw that into your E/E dir.

3. run the kext utility to fix permission and to rebuild the .mkext. reboot and hopefully after reboot, you will have sound.

for the wifi, take a look at post 247 and make sure to use gbit_14zDSDT_audio DSDT file and his IO80211Family

The wifi works now. Thanks alot man.

The sound is the last issue. Why cant I get it to work? Im on the A01 bios.

I tried the suggestions. Ill have to try some more.

Ive been using the posted DSDT.aml in this thread and they all seem to work and not break anything else if I switch them around. But the audio never worked.

Im using 10.6.3, 32 bit, A01 bios.

The wifi works now. Thanks alot man.

The sound is the last issue. Why cant I get it to work? Im on the A01 bios.

I tried the suggestions. Ill have to try some more.

Ive been using the posted DSDT.aml in this thread and they all seem to work and not break anything else if I switch them around. But the audio never worked.

Im using 10.6.3, 32 bit, A01 bios.

hey check out post 426, it looks like they updated to 10.6.3 and also had audio issues which they resolved by using applehda kext they attached.

hey check out post 426, it looks like they updated to 10.6.3 and also had audio issues which they resolved by using applehda kext they attached.

Thanks. I tried it. It didnt work. But I am not sure if he is leaving the HDAIDT somewhere or deleting that one too. I tried both ways and still didnt work.

And I realize that I am flooding the last page of this thread and everybody is pointing me to other pages. Ill try on my own. Im still stuck with no sound tho.

But in the mean time I backed up my harddrive, copied it to another test drive and put it in my laptop and started on dual booting with Windows 7. Ill work on my soundless Snow Leo and also boot to my windows 7. Ill figure it out somewhere.

but anybody reading this can still send me a message.

If I get it working Im willing to do a detailed post of my setup not leaving out anything. Believe me I have documented it all.

Leave HDAIDT.kext installed installed its the injector.

Replace the file

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

With the one I posted. Repair permissions and clear caches. And It should work. I'm on A04, but i dont think It will make a diffrence. Also I'm running in 32bit. I didn't test with 64. If you still can't get it to work let me know and I'll pm you the .kext

Can anyone help me. I recently had to install windows and removed osx now im trying to install it back again using the boot 132 method and it installs. I then insert the boot 132 disc click on my harddrive and the apple with the spinning wheel appears and i have left it there for more then 3 hours and the greeting screen doesn't appear could anyone help me?

Could it be that you are running 32 bit? I am running the 64 bit and it works for me

I tried it at lunch. I found the setting I PM'd you about. So I had 64 bit enabled and still it wasnt working. Plus on my previous install, it was 64 bit already and it never worked then either, even after using the recommended 10.6.3 AppleHDA version.

Question, Do I have to get any hardware IDs and put them into the kext Im working with. I never changed anything from that standpoint. I can boot into windows and check stuff. ?

I made some progress. I was able to load the VoodooHDA after trying again. But that sound is crappy. Its crackling. But I think part of my issue was that I had 2 /Extra/Extensions folders. One on my Snow Leopard partition and one in the chameleon boot partition. So I dont know which one was being used and even if, I wasnt always rebuilding the kext cache in both. Currently I have the voodoohda in my S/L/E folder and in the E/E I have the HDAIDT because I tested before removing that file when I noticed the issue of the 2 Extras. So I will try the normal 10.6.2 AppleHDA now and rebuild both my caches and swap that for the voodoo.

AppleHDA didnt work. But I do have a screen shots of whaat happens when I try to load the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.

post-185751-1276072873_thumb.jpg

post-185751-1276072901_thumb.jpg

I made some progress. I was able to load the VoodooHDA after trying again. But that sound is crappy. Its crackling. But I think part of my issue was that I had 2 /Extra/Extensions folders. One on my Snow Leopard partition and one in the chameleon boot partition. So I dont know which one was being used and even if, I wasnt always rebuilding the kext cache in both. Currently I have the voodoohda in my S/L/E folder and in the E/E I have the HDAIDT because I tested before removing that file when I noticed the issue of the 2 Extras. So I will try the normal 10.6.2 AppleHDA now and rebuild both my caches and swap that for the voodoo.

If you guys want to use VoodooHDA with the mcp79 chipset, you'll need slice's latest beta version of voodoohda. All earlier versions have the sound distortion bug.

See here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1483957

for details on setting it up.

That said, AppleHDA should work fine as well, with the proper hdaidt and dsdt patches.

Oh, and as of 10.6.3, with the AppleHDA binary patched with the right codec id for this laptop.

If you guys want to use VoodooHDA with the mcp79 chipset, you'll need slice's latest beta version of voodoohda. All earlier versions have the sound distortion bug.

See here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1483957

for details on setting it up.

That said, AppleHDA should work fine as well, with the proper hdaidt and dsdt patches.

Oh, and as of 10.6.3, with the AppleHDA binary patched with the right codec id for this laptop.

I just tried it and the newer one does play sound perfectly.. But the main mac volume slider doesnt control sound volume. Only the app it seems will let you control it. In youtube for example I cant use my keyboard volume keys but I can slide the slider on the youtube video to lower and raise. At least for me.

I was just starting out last night on trying to find the codec information so I can try to use the AppleHDA versions. Maybe that was my problem. I used what was posted and never tried to find the info on my own laptop. Including anything related to DSDT files. I just used what was posted. But I can say that I have a 99.9 percent working hacktop. including dual booting to windows 7. Used it today multiple times. Im bout ready to order my backlit keyboard and call this project done.

Thanks Bcc9 and everybody that posted replies to my troubled post. I really appreciate it.

Just updated my Dell Studio 14z from Snow Leopard 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. Everything looks like it is working fine. The only problem that I had was with the wireless driver and wireless connection. I fixed this by reinstalling the Broadcom driver a few times then reinstalling the IO80211Family kext with Kext Helper v7. Now I'm up and running smoothly. Good Luck....!!!

Just updated my Dell Studio 14z from Snow Leopard 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. Everything looks like it is working fine. The only problem that I had was with the wireless driver and wireless connection. I fixed this by reinstalling the Broadcom driver a few times then reinstalling the IO80211Family kext with Kext Helper v7. Now I'm up and running smoothly. Good Luck....!!!

I installed Ilife 08 and updated all ilife components showing up in the software update and left the 10.6.4 unchecked, but on my next reboot Im stuck. luckily this was my backup drive.

I installed Ilife 08 and updated all ilife components showing up in the software update and left the 10.6.4 unchecked, but on my next reboot Im stuck. luckily this was my backup drive.

Ahh I found out I somehow accidently updated to 10.6.4. Anyway I was getting a kernel panic on sleepenabler, and then on applehda which 10.6.4 put back on. And then I also had lost wireless. But deleted sleepenabler from my E/E folder and replaced both the kext, for me with voodoohda and the wireless IO80211Family and I was back in business.

Can anyone provide a kext that will enable the DELL VOSTRO 1320 keyboard, with all those functions? Expecially the FN+Up and FN+Down to have more/less brigthness?

Anyway I can't find a kext to allow volume control to work properly. I control it but the volume doesn't change!

Thanks for all.

- Mauro

Can anyone provide a kext that will enable the DELL VOSTRO 1320 keyboard, with all those functions? Expecially the FN+Up and FN+Down to have more/less brigthness?

Anyway I can't find a kext to allow volume control to work properly. I control it but the volume doesn't change!

Thanks for all.

- Mauro

If you are using the voodoohda like me, from a suggestion in this tread. I found that it didnt allow me to adjust the volume from the normal area up top or using the volume buttons on my laptop. Until I got the version B of the 262 driver kext to fix the issue. now Im solid

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=6916

If you are using the voodoohda like me, from a suggestion in this tread. I found that it didnt allow me to adjust the volume from the normal area up top or using the volume buttons on my laptop. Until I got the version B of the 262 driver kext to fix the issue. now Im solid

I'm going to try this kext tomorrow morning.

I'll lett you know. Thanks a lot for your help in the while.

Cheers

Ehi! It worked.. I've installed that kext and the Volume Control works.

Anyway is it normal that in the half of the slicer the volume is completelly off?

Anyway it work! Grat, thanks a lot.

Ehi! It worked.. I've installed that kext and the Volume Control works.

Anyway is it normal that in the half of the slicer the volume is completelly off?

Anyway it work! Grat, thanks a lot.

Yep, i read that it did that, and it did that for me, and now you. cool that it worked for you too.

Yep, i read that it did that, and it did that for me, and now you. cool that it worked for you too.

Thank's a lot dude.

I have another little problem, and maybe you can help me out: as soon as my notebook sleep.. I can't wake up, unless forcing a shutdown. Why this happen? I can't solve it, ... I've used that SleepEnabler but nothing to do...

Any help or ideas?

Thanks.

Thank's a lot dude.

I have another little problem, and maybe you can help me out: as soon as my notebook sleep.. I can't wake up, unless forcing a shutdown. Why this happen? I can't solve it, ... I've used that SleepEnabler but nothing to do...

Any help or ideas?

Thanks.

Have you tried without sleep enabler I don't use it and the laptop sleeps and hibernates nicely.

Has anyone managed to hexedit the applehda for this device, whenever I try or use the one that was posted here I get sound assertion errors and the kext doesn't load.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just got a 14z (C2D 6600, 720p, 320 GB, Bios A01)

and I'm a noob and trying to follow Nightrider's guide.

However, I cannot find the following files:

glitchbit's extensions collection zip file <LI>glitchbit's latest DSDT Second, shall I upgrade it to A04 Bios? or A01 is just fine?

I'm asking for your help!

Can anyone send me an email with simplified guide with files?

Thank you in advance!!!!