VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

MSoK,

Could you update the "vmware-darwin-200" attachment on this post with the updated script?

Thanks Donk!

Thanks for finding the bug and sorry for the problem. The script is supposed to restore but I had a mistake in the uninstall section. Copy and paste the code below to the setup.sh file to fix it.

#!/bin/sh
set -e

echo VMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0
echo ==================================

# Ensure we only use unmodified commands
export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

# Find out what OS we're running under and set relevant path
# Currently supports:
# Darwin - Fusion on Mac OS X
# Linux - works with both hosted products e.g. Server 2.0 and ESX 4.0 Service Console
# VMkernel - work with ESXi 4.0

OS=`uname -s`
if [ "$OS" = 'Darwin' ]; then
VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages'
elif [ "$OS" = 'Linux' ]; then
VMPATH='/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages'
vmware -v
elif [ "$OS" = 'VMkernel' ]; then
vmware -v
else
echo Unknown operating system "$OS"!
fi
echo Running on "$OS" and using "$VMPATH"

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
--install)
	echo Backing up files
	mkdir -p "./backup"
	cp "$VMPATH"/*.pub ./backup
	cp "$VMPATH"/*.sig ./backup
	# Check for darwin.iso as may not be present
	if [ -f "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso ]; then
		cp "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso ./backup
	fi
	cp darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
	cp tools-key.pem "$VMPATH"
		cp tools-key.pub "$VMPATH"
		cd "$VMPATH"
	echo Creating new SHA-1 digests
	for A in *.iso
	do
		echo SHA-1 digest for "$A"			
		openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-key.pem < "$A" > "$A".sig 2> /dev/null
	done
	cd -
;;

--uninstall)
	echo Restoring backup files
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.sig
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pem		
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pub
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso
	cp ./backup/*.pub "$VMPATH"
	cp ./backup/*.sig "$VMPATH"
	if [ -f .backup/darwin.iso ]; then
		cp ./backup/darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
	fi		
	rm -rf ./backup
;;

*)
echo "Usage: $0 {--install|--uninstall}"
echo install   - install darwin.iso and signatures
echo uninstall - restore original signatures
exit 1
esac
echo Finished!

MSoK,

Could you update the "vmware-darwin-200" attachment on this post with the updated script?

Thanks Donk!

Nihilator,

Not my topic, belongs to Donk, besides we have been using a much later version of the Donk's darwin.iso for some time (it does not have the script update), see link below, I have updated the script and posted a link below.

Donk's latest "darwin.iso":

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064

Donk's latest "darwin.iso" with the setup.sh modified:

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/458958206/DonkDarwin310.zip

Finally, we (including Donk) have switched to using Albert's "Unlocker" for Workstation, Player and Fusion rather than Donk's "darwin.iso". However it is still the preferred method for ESXi 4.1(u1). Have a look at my topic link below, it is aimed at Windows users but has all the relevant information for Fusion.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

Cheers,

MSoK.

Hi

Can I make a suggestion? Not sure if it's been made previously...

I come on here once in a while to read the latest updates - the one above about the old Darwin ISO is ironic. I find there is a lot of historical information deep in the previous pages of this thread and it's hard to get everything collated. It doesn't surprise me someone mentions using the Darwin200...

How about a hard-link somewhere on this thread or on the page around the thread frame (the background of the site page) that links to the latest darwin and up-to-date instructions for the base build of OS X Client on ESX 4.1 - a "how to" page which is updated when necessary...

Granted there is invaluable information throughout the 107 pages of this thread but quite a lot of it is repetitive to a degree (partly due to the lack of a central "how to" page) and is entirely dependent on getting the basics right first.

This is meant constructively and not at-all a criticism or show of disrespect for any of the work you all put in to this...

Snapper

Hi

Can I make a suggestion? Not sure if it's been made previously...

I come on here once in a while to read the latest updates - the one above about the old Darwin ISO is ironic. I find there is a lot of historical information deep in the previous pages of this thread and it's hard to get everything collated. It doesn't surprise me someone mentions using the Darwin200...

How about a hard-link somewhere on this thread or on the page around the thread frame (the background of the site page) that links to the latest darwin and up-to-date instructions for the base build of OS X Client on ESX 4.1 - a "how to" page which is updated when necessary...

Granted there is invaluable information throughout the 107 pages of this thread but quite a lot of it is repetitive to a degree (partly due to the lack of a central "how to" page) and is entirely dependent on getting the basics right first.

This is meant constructively and not at-all a criticism or show of disrespect for any of the work you all put in to this...

Snapper

Thanks for the suggestion, I have created a How To for VMware Workstation / Player see the link below, I am sure I can create a similar one for ESXi.

Hello

Many thanks for your response. I found the way, how under MacOSX a "correct" ISO-image can be created from the retail MacOSX installer DVD.

Open the Apple disk utility and select/mark with the retail installer DVD inserted/mounted on the drive area the DVD-Drive itself and not the assigned MacOSX installer DVD volume. It is very important to not select the volume but the DVD-drive itself. Then create from the selected DVD-drive an image in the CD/DVD-Master format (".cdr"). After the image is successfully created, change on the image file the suffix from ".cdr" to ".iso".

Thereafter upload this image file to a VMWare store and connect on the VM configuration the iso-image to the virtual VM CD/DVD-Drive. On starting up the VM selecet at the boot loader prompt by activating the F5-key the MacOSX installer disk. Also enter at the boot loader prompt the command "rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v -f -x rd=disk1s3" and then hit the enter-key. Without this boot-load command the installation will not start correctly and shows the message "still waiting for root device".

best regards, relume

Thanks for the suggestion, I have created a How To for VMware Workstation / Player see the link below, I am sure I can create a similar one for ESXi.

I am thinking we should close this topic down as for everything other than ESX(i) it is better to use the unlocker. Can then start a new topic about ESXi and I will try and find some time to update the tools. As for a static URL for the downloads, I will look into it, but when I hosted on my website the number of hits was more than than my plan allowed, and was subsequently suspended. Suggestions for hosting a file with a static URL welcome. i.e. not MediaFire etc.

Donk,

I have finally tested this script (due to having some free time this weekend). It looks as though: You didn't test the script (below).

This script "still" does not restore the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion").

Your script will backup the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion") to the "backup" folder, but it R-E-F-U-S-E-S to restore it when you execute "./setup.sh --uninstall". The ./setup.sh --uninstall" script runs and restores everything but the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion").

Do you need the Fusion application to test your script? I have it, if you need it. Could you please setup Fusion on a real mac (or a hack) and test your code and figure out why the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion") is not restored?

Thanks for finding the bug and sorry for the problem. The script is supposed to restore but I had a mistake in the uninstall section. Copy and paste the code below to the setup.sh file to fix it.

#!/bin/sh
set -e

echo VMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0
echo ==================================

# Ensure we only use unmodified commands
export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

# Find out what OS we're running under and set relevant path
# Currently supports:
# Darwin - Fusion on Mac OS X
# Linux - works with both hosted products e.g. Server 2.0 and ESX 4.0 Service Console
# VMkernel - work with ESXi 4.0

OS=`uname -s`
if [ "$OS" = 'Darwin' ]; then
VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages'
elif [ "$OS" = 'Linux' ]; then
vmware -v
elif [ "$OS" = 'VMkernel' ]; then
vmware -v
else
echo Unknown operating system "$OS"!
fi
echo Running on "$OS" and using "$VMPATH"

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
--install)
	echo Backing up files
	mkdir -p "./backup"
	cp "$VMPATH"/*.pub ./backup
	cp "$VMPATH"/*.sig ./backup
	if [ -f "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso ]; then
		cp "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso ./backup
	fi
	cp darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
	cp tools-key.pem "$VMPATH"
		cp tools-key.pub "$VMPATH"
		cd "$VMPATH"
	echo Creating new SHA-1 digests
	for A in *.iso
	do
		echo SHA-1 digest for "$A"			
		openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-key.pem < "$A" > "$A".sig 2> /dev/null
	done
	cd -
;;

--uninstall)
	echo Restoring backup files
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.sig
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pem		
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pub
	rm -f "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso
	cp ./backup/*.pub "$VMPATH"
	cp ./backup/*.sig "$VMPATH"
	if [ -f .backup/darwin.iso ]; then
		cp ./backup/darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
	fi		
	rm -rf ./backup
;;

*)
echo "Usage: $0 {--install|--uninstall}"
echo install   - install darwin.iso and signatures
echo uninstall - restore original signatures
exit 1
esac
echo Finished!

MSoK,

The updated "setup.sh" script that you included in the following link is not working:

You will receive the following error while executing the updated "setup.sh" script:

macpro31:~ administrator$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# cd /Users/administrator/Desktop/DonkDarwin310

bash-3.2# ./setup.sh --install

bash: ./setup.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

The fix is to re-paste it in any text editor and re-save the file. I don't know how you copied, pasted and saved it, but its throwing the error (above).

Nihilator,

Not my topic, belongs to Donk, besides we have been using a much later version of the Donk's darwin.iso for some time (it does not have the script update), see link below, I have updated the script and posted a link below.

Donk's latest "darwin.iso":

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064

Finally, we (including Donk) have switched to using Albert's "Unlocker" for Workstation, Player and Fusion rather than Donk's "darwin.iso". However it is still the preferred method for ESXi 4.1(u1). Have a look at my topic link below, it is aimed at Windows users but has all the relevant information for Fusion.

Cheers,

MSoK.

Donk,

I have finally tested this script (due to having some free time this weekend). It looks as though: You didn't test the script (below).

This script "still" does not restore the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion").

Your script will backup the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion") to the "backup" folder, but it R-E-F-U-S-E-S to restore it when you execute "./setup.sh --uninstall". The ./setup.sh --uninstall" script runs and restores everything but the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion").

Do you need the Fusion application to test your script? I have it, if you need it. Could you please setup Fusion on a real mac (or a hack) and test your code and figure out why the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion") is not restored?

Sorry but I don't know what you are doing here and I can't recreate the problem with the script I posted. I have tested it many many times now and it works in every case I use, and on a real Mac and with different versions of Fusion.

1. Are you using sudo or root to run it?

2. Have you upgraded Fusion and then re-run the script? If that is the case you need to know that you must run the uninstall before upgrading Fusion.

Anyway this script is no longer supported except on ESXi as there are better ways to do this now. Honestly the best way forward is probably a clean Fusion install and use the Unlocker rather than this method. It is cleaner and more transparent to the guest.

1) I'm using root to run it

2) I always re-run the script after upgrading Fusion.

Forget it. You don't sound interested.

Sorry but I don't know what you are doing here and I can't recreate the problem with the script I posted. I have tested it many many times now and it works in every case I use, and on a real Mac and with different versions of Fusion.

1. Are you using sudo or root to run it?

2. Have you upgraded Fusion and then re-run the script? If that is the case you need to know that you must run the uninstall before upgrading Fusion.

Anyway this script is no longer supported except on ESXi as there are better ways to do this now. Honestly the best way forward is probably a clean Fusion install and use the Unlocker rather than this method. It is cleaner and more transparent to the guest.

Sorry you don't feel like I am helping but I have tried to re-create the problem and I can't. I can't fix something I can't re-create. However as the damage has been done I was trying to suggest that the best way to fix it and give you a better working system to allow client Mac OS X guests on Fusion. If you actually want a copy of the original darwin.iso & sig please let me know and I will put a copy online for you.

Honestly, this method is old now for everything apart from ESXi where the code cannot be patched in the same way as using Albert's Unlocker. In fact I modified the first post some time back to state that. It may prove useful again if there are fixes needed in boot and/or kernel code but as of now everything will boot with EFO BIOS and unlocked VMware. (Includes Lion). It also works for some new VMware products coming as well.

1) I'm using root to run it

2) I always re-run the script after upgrading Fusion.

Forget it. You don't sound interested.

Nihilator,

A little harsh, Donk's record on this forum speaks for itself, no one has helped with OS X running under VMware more than Donk, the man deserves a little more respect.

Sorry you don't feel like I am helping but I have tried to re-create the problem and I can't. I can't fix something I can't re-create. However as the damage has been done I was trying to suggest that the best way to fix it and give you a better working system to allow client Mac OS X guests on Fusion. If you actually want a copy of the original darwin.iso & sig please let me know and I will put a copy online for you.

Honestly, this method is old now for everything apart from ESXi where the code cannot be patched in the same way as using Albert's Unlocker. In fact I modified the first post some time back to state that. It may prove useful again if there are fixes needed in boot and/or kernel code but as of now everything will boot with EFO BIOS and unlocked VMware. (Includes Lion). It also works for some new VMware products coming as well.

Donk,

"It also works for some new VMware products coming as well". Sounds interesting, give me an update when you can, Cheers MSoK.

Hopefully a quick one for the more seasoned people on here. I get to the OS X initial install boot (10.5 client) and I get a "no entry" sign in the middle of the screen after about 1 min of it booting (still on the grey background boot screen with Apple logo)

I've tried on 2 different hosts - both ESXi 4.1.

Snapper

so this is only for computers with Intel processors?

Any way to run this in vmware with AMD cpu?

I'm just getting kernel panics on boot (retail Snow Leopard), and don't know how you set up other bootloaders to work with vmware.

I guess Chameleon patches things up enough to work with AMD.

I do have AMD-V enabled in Bios.

Currently I'm running a pre-packaged VM with OS X Leopard 32 bit (using FreeBSD as "os"). Which runs very slow.

Hi there,

I've been running a leopard guest server on our ESXi 4.0 server for a while and it worked great, however since updating ESXi to 4.1u1 and patching it with donk's darwin310 I can't get a vanilla 10.5.4 (32bit) guest server to install using the guide from page one which worked like a charm previously with darwin200 on ESXi 4.0.

Is it possible to use that chamellion kernel efi preloader to install a leopard vanilla? When i try it using the standard solutions I get an error (attached). Can anyone help me please.

ESXi server specs:

Old Vostro 400

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB

#vmx file
.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "MOSX 10.5 Server.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "soft"
displayName = "MOSX 10.5 Server"
extendedConfigFile = "MOSX 10.5 Server.vmxf"
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
numvcpus = "2"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "MOSX 10.5 Server.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
guestOS = "darwin"
uuid.location = "56 4d 8b cc 40 f8 76 af-c2 b7 6c d0 08 99 e6 e8"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 8b cc 40 f8 76 af-c2 b7 6c d0 08 99 e6 e8"
vc.uuid = "52 d9 da 45 b2 d2 36 31-cc bd 03 eb 37 c3 74 d6"
svga.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:99:e6:e8"
svga.vramSize = "16777216"
vmci0.id = "144303848"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4dcd29e3-45bc963b-be67-001d09800df0/MOSX 10.5 Server/MOSX 10.5 Server-d64cd1e9.vswp"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "000006fb000408000000e3bdbfebfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "000006fb00010800800022010febfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "000006fb000408000000e3bdbfebfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

post-776427-1305560218_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I've been running a leopard guest server on our ESXi 4.0 server for a while and it worked great, however since updating ESXi to 4.1u1 and patching it with donk's darwin310 I can't get a vanilla 10.5.4 (32bit) guest server to install using the guide from page one which worked like a charm previously with darwin200 on ESXi 4.0.

Is it possible to use that chamellion kernel efi preloader to install a leopard vanilla? When i try it using the standard solutions I get an error (attached). Can anyone help me please.

ESXi server specs:

Old Vostro 400

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB

Sorry I can't help at the moment as I have no access to physical ESXi boxes due to changes to the hardware in our labs. Hopefully somone else can help you out.

Hi there,

ESXi server specs:

Old Vostro 400

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB

Hi...

Looking at your screeshot, seems that Leopard is not finding your hard drive.

Is your hard drive formatted with GUID or MBR? Is IDE or SCSI?

Hi...

Looking at your screeshot, seems that Leopard is not finding your hard drive.

Is your hard drive formatted with GUID or MBR? Is IDE or SCSI?

I was suspecting it was an hdd related error. I haven't had the time to try and remediate the issue. The actual physical hdd that leopard was running on is a WD caviar black 500GB, SATA, MBR partition style with a virtual drive configured as SCSI on LSI Logic SAS controller. I got pretty much the same (slightly different) error when I tried running it on an virtual IDE. I'm going to convert another identical HDD to GPT, shove it in the esxi box and try installing the guest on it see what happens. Have you got any different suggestions Tebi?

If i would like to install Osx on a esxi 4.2 environment, would some one be able to tell me where i should start reading ?

i understood from the first post that it wasnt supported yet, but i guess there should have been enough changes lately so it should ?

Donk or MSoK,

I understand the features of the "Unlocker", but I have some questions about Donk's VMware Mac OS X Guest Package.

I "assumed" that you needed the following lines in every vmx file (regardless of the virtual machine operating system that you are running):

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

I only use Mac OS X and Windows virtual machines. My question is this:

Do I need all the lines (above) in each vmx file?

If I have a Windows virtual machine, I don't need the line "smc.present = "FALSE", do I?

What lines do you need for a Mac OS X virtual machine and what lines do you need for a Windows virtual machine?

BTW:

I run both VMware workstation and VMware Fusion. VMware Fusion I run on both a Hackintosh and a real Mac.

I have a Nehalem-based processor. This is why I have the "monitor.virtual_exec" and "monitor.virtual_mmu" lines in every Mac OS X and Windows virtual machine vmx file.

FYI

New version of Fusion 3.1.3.

I've installed VMware Darwin Tools 3.1.3 in guest OS'es 10.5.8 & 10.6.7.

Then installed existing guestd tools patch with VMsvga2.

Works on both systems.

Host is Wks 7.1.4/Windows 7.64

FYI

New version of Fusion 3.1.3.

I've installed VMware Darwin Tools 3.1.3 in guest OS'es 10.5.8 & 10.6.7.

Then installed existing guestd tools patch with VMsvga2.

Works on both systems.

Host is Wks 7.1.4/Windows 7.64

Zenith432,

Thanks for the heads up.

MSoK.

Hi all,

Newbie here so bear with me. First of all thank you for all your work in getting os x up and running in ESXi.

I am following the .pdf instructions and run into what I think might be a linux issue: I chmod +x the setup.sh file, and when I try ./setup.sh it comes back with 'file not found'. I know the chmod has worked cause the file changes color to green/executable if I issue 'ls'. I tried 'sh setup.sh --install' and I get

setup.sh: set: line 2: illegal option -

This is a fresh install of ESXi 4.1(u1) - the latest on the website - and I have tried 'chmod 777' on all the folders up to where setup.sh is stored in case this was a permissions issue. I still can't directly use './setup.sh' after the above.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi all,

Newbie here so bear with me. First of all thank you for all your work in getting os x up and running in ESXi.

I am following the .pdf instructions and run into what I think might be a linux issue: I chmod +x the setup.sh file, and when I try ./setup.sh it comes back with 'file not found'. I know the chmod has worked cause the file changes color to green/executable if I issue 'ls'. I tried 'sh setup.sh --install' and I get

setup.sh: set: line 2: illegal option -

This is a fresh install of ESXi 4.1(u1) - the latest on the website - and I have tried 'chmod 777' on all the folders up to where setup.sh is stored in case this was a permissions issue. I still can't directly use './setup.sh' after the above.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I am getting that on ESXi as well now. I think it is the CR/LF which may have strayed by accident into the file! I have attached a new one, please see if that helps. Due to changes at work I only have limited access to the ESXi system I use to test this currently, so may be sometime before I can get back to it to test definitely that it solves the problem. You need to rename the uploaded file by removing the txt extension.

setup.sh.txt

Hi Donk,

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

I have tried your file and it now installs as shown in the .pdf. I then created a VM in vSphere and all the 'corrected' lines for os X are already in the .vmx file which is a nice touch. However in starting the console the OS X install DVD is not recognized at all despite being mounted (I have tried both ISO and physical drive). No trace of the darwin kernel loading. I think ESXi might be reverting the code to the freeBSD VM?

I have tried mounting the Darwin ISO (I know this is not standard procedure from reading this thread) and then ESCAPE-F5 swap for the install DVD - this brings me to the apple logo flashing for a second before the VM reboots. I then referred to the boot string on page 85 of this thread and tried again - it seems like the loading from the DVD lasts a bit longer but I get a reboot again.

Has anyone else tried installing with the new file? Is there another step I am missing (I have tried going through the thread but some information seems now outdated)?

Thanks again for all your efforts