Any good guide to OC an Opteron 165?

macgirl

27 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie, well at least at overclocking area, so I have this new Opteron 165 and my friend (he works at AMD) gave me the proc and said it is very overclockable.

The opteron is basicly the same as an Athlon 64 (in this case an X2). There are many online guides to A64 oc'ing

this 1 seems to be very detailed

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=151373

and this 1 is probibly easier to folow

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=58

Its probibly best u read a few differant guides before u start if u are new to overclocking

your results may vary depending on ur motherboard, ram, PSU and also cooling

Good Luck

I was able to OC to 3.6Ghz, and Mac OS X did not present any problem at all, but if I boot to Win XP it reboots automactically just before the welcome screen appears, Of course I just tested some sets, I think with a faster memory I could reach 3.6Ghz without a glitch, Now 2.2Ghz on Win XP very stable.

Yes, very stable, and I tested with several applications running also.

Maybe a re-installation of Windows XP is the key, but it gives me a headache only to think about re-installing everything else.

Yes, very stable, and I tested with several applications running also.

Maybe a re-installation of Windows XP is the key, but it gives me a headache only to think about re-installing everything else.

there is a driver on the amd website for athlon x2 processors, and dual cores.

you will want to install that in order to achieve higher stability with a windows.

aswell, 3.6 is not stable on a system that isnt water cooled.

i will tell you taht right off the bat.

if you go to xtremesystems.org, i think the highest aircooled overclock is somewhere near 3.1 ish.

3.6 is far far too high to be stable.

in order to be able to verify stability, it's recommended that you run two Prime95 torture tests at the same time.

one with small FFT setting on one cpu. and one with large FFT setting on the other cpu (you can set the affinity within the program)

small fft's are cpu only.

large fft's are ram + cpu test combo.

chances are your ram is what is holding you back, because if your cpu is sending out the cpuid upon boot (where it says the name of the processor) then it should be in a semi-stable state.

are you running a ram divider?

remember. without a divider, your ram is running parallel to the FSB speed. so there is no way of getting my ram to run 283, when it is a value ram. and make sure you have your HTT Mulitplier set to x3

your FSB is multiplied by your HTT multi, and the result should always be under 1000mhz.

if you run 200mhz fsb, your htt can be 5x

if you run 250, it can be 4x

if you run 283, like me, it can be 3x

now.. you CAN run a higher htt, but that causes severe instability as the hypertransport speed of the amd's does not support anything that much higher over 1000

i ran a divider so that ram would run at 212 mhz, (effectively 424 due to DDR) instead of 283.

theres a trick for purchasing ram. since your computer is factory equipped, or recommended to use PC3200, which is 200/400 mhz, and you are upping the speed. you can actually gain some stability by goign with a higher rated ram, like a PC3700.

the timings might be a little less tight, but ive come to the realization that the ram speed has more of an effect on the computers memory bandwidth scores than timings would... good timings are just a bit of a bonus in my eyes.

also, you'll want to make sure you give your ram maybe .1 more volts than stock

there is a driver on the amd website for athlon x2 processors, and dual cores.

you will want to install that in order to achieve higher stability with a windows.

aswell, 3.6 is not stable on a system that isnt water cooled.

i will tell you taht right off the bat.

if you go to xtremesystems.org, i think the highest aircooled overclock is somewhere near 3.1 ish.

3.6 is far far too high to be stable.

in order to be able to verify stability, it's recommended that you run two Prime95 torture tests at the same time.

I wrote a dumb thing, it was 2.6 not 3.6 (finger error) :)

i ran a divider so that ram would run at 212 mhz, (effectively 424 due to DDR) instead of 283

Well my BIOS does not have RAM divider, instead it uses auto and manual clock, choices are 233, 200, 166, 133 and 100 Mhz so at 245Mhz I choose 166Mhz for RAM and for 266 and 289Mhz I choose 133Mhz for RAM.

I wrote a dumb thing, it was 2.6 not 3.6 (finger error) :)

Well my BIOS does not have RAM divider, instead it uses auto and manual clock, choices are 233, 200, 166, 133 and 100 Mhz so at 245Mhz I choose 166Mhz for RAM and for 266 and 289Mhz I choose 133Mhz for RAM.

you have a smelly board :D

lol j/k.

2.6 is about the natural standard for overclocking this particular processor.

did you write down the stepping (like a serial number) on the integrated heat spreader on the chip at all? or do you remember it (like the nerd i am) ?

0547 is almost as good as 0530

the stepping is relevant to the year/week the chip was manufactured, as they re-make the silicone every week and work around the clock, churning them out until the weekend. when they come back from their measly 2 days off, they make a new batch of silicone. every batch has minute differences that can either add or subtract from the silicone's stability in terms of voltage ceilings and core speeds.

2005, week 30 is supposedly the best one, which i have.

2005, week 47 is almost as good, and sometimes better (depending on the setup each person seems to use).

the good thing about these chips is that they don't suffer from the cold bug, where the chip actually fails to perform once it hits a certain drop in degrees that it actually freezes up and doesnt provide enough operating heat. some steppings have it, some dont.

again, due to the retaining of voltage and stability attributed to the added/subtracted chemicals.

all o145's - 175's are wonderful overclockers for the price, so 2.6 is what you should be happy with.

2.8 would make my day though.

I´ve an Opteron 146 clocked to 2500 on an abit a8v with 2x512 mb MDT Modules...Its cooled with an arctic freezer 64, a huge, cheap but efficient cooler...

But i use to let him run in 2200....

to get more stable system, you can set your ram voltage up to 2,8V, but imho don´t go higher, the ram will became warm, and may give u issues..;(

afaik, your clockspeed of the ram, is the divider...

cu,

codo

i once clocked a venice up to 2900..but to get this power, i needed to put the heatspreader away....but so i was able to oc her air cooled..::) this was damn fast...

i don´t use to oc my cpu, just to know what they can do...so, maybee i can get the opteron up to 3000, too..but for this i have to put the HS away, and i don´t wanna do this again, until i really need this power..next thing will be faster ram, imho this brings more speed in my system...

so long,

codo

2500 is a terrible overclock - my 3500+ Venice clocks higher than that, totally stable.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to get one of these puppies soon but its looking quite doubtful with all the money concerns I'm having right now...

LOL, thats not a smart thing to say, any overclock is a good one.. Remember the speed it came at, it may have been picked to run at that speed coz it would not survive that long any higher, after all who nows the silicon better you or AMD

i'd say go for a 500 - 700 mhz overclock with the Opty / X2 or A64 this way you have more chance of it surviving longer... dont want her to blow do ya.

if you got some decent Cooling, other than Air then id say go further...

My X2 has been so stable at 2.5ghz on stock voltz ive left it at that.

Dont have to go 1:1 with CPU:Mem Raitio with the A64's like it was best to with the ol Athlon XP-M's these took a performance hit when running async.

But, Have Fun..

OC'in "once bitten, forever smitten."

I've been running my 3500+ @ 2.64GHz since I got the thing and its totally stable and showing no signs of collapse - even with the voltage being like 1.625 (BIOS - in actuality, its more like 1.575).

Either way, it shall soon be replaced by an Opty 165 hopefully. Lets see how dealing with Bank of America about getting a lower interest rate goes later on today...

I'm a newbie, well at least at overclocking area, so I have this new Opteron 165 and my friend (he works at AMD) gave me the proc and said it is very overclockable.

Seen your system, you could help me to have SSE3, because I can have only SSE2 running Opteron170. Also could you write us the OC settings what did you use on CPU and memory?

Well my setting is 267 Mhz for the processor, I use 133Mhz for the memory and HT is 3X

Sometimes I set 250 Mhz for the processor, 166Mhz memory set and HT to 4x.

I increaseed the Proc's voltage to 1.375.

For the SSE3 it is not recognized in native mode with 10.4.6.

Well my setting is 267 Mhz for the processor, I use 133Mhz for the memory and HT is 3X

Sometimes I set 250 Mhz for the processor, 166Mhz memory set and HT to 4x.

I increaseed the Proc's voltage to 1.375.

For the SSE3 it is not recognized in native mode with 10.4.6.

Thank you for reply.

For your convenience, I uploaded a small windows utility which helps to find a correct fsb/multiplier ratio.

Here: http://rapidshare.de/files/21638890/a64_me...helper.zip.html

My settings:

Cpu:270/9x @1.325v memory 150@2,5volts HTT:4x with DFI board

If you set your memory to 133 you can go up to 290 on CPU fsb @1,4 volts .

Anyways thank you for specifying how you use SSE3, because was a enigma for me..:)

Update: Cpu 280/10x @1,350v memory 140/2,5v HTT:3 = 2,8Ghz on Opteron170

hey Macgirl, decent setup..

do your pci slots show up? And did the audio work right off bat?

PCI slots in Win XP are shown and working, I have no probs with audio either in Mac OS and Win XP (any of the 3 cards I had installed, well 2 soundcard and the external usb sound)

my 3200 venice runs at 3.2 on air! but i hav a hyper 6 so its "high end air" i run it at 2.6 cuase then i can turn the fan down :thumbsdown_anim:

Same cooler here, also I modified a Vantec IceberQ ( not Pro!) Vga cooler for chipset cooling...I think is the best solution for chipset cooling since I have 2 pcie slots SLI, and the chipset is between them, also is flat enough to do not be in videocard's way...