915G/GMA900 mobo, P4 w/ SSE3...is it worth it?

18 posts in this topic

So I've excessively studied the HCL and was about to check eBay for some items.

My virtual shopping cart contains:

- Asus P5GD1-VM with the Intel 915G and GMA 900 chipset

- Some SSE3 capable P4, not sure about its clock frequency yet, my wallet decides.

Does somebody (cyrana?) actually own these parts with OSx86 running?

Is it worth it (e.g. reliability) and could it substitute an ordinary XP workstation? I'm not a gamer at all, I just want to do everyday stuff like surfing, office jobs and here and then some programming?

I'd be glad to get some responses :P

(Pssst...I think I'll order the parts anyway, ha! :( )

I'd say don't spend the money to just run OS X. If you're upgrading a slow system, it is worth it, though. The problem (to me) is that there is no guarantee we'll ever see another update, etc.

However, it is very useable, to me. All my PPC apps run just fine and at a very acceptable speed. But, for all we know when more universal binaries come out (from commercial vendors), they'll require say 10.4.2 or something that isn't available on the current developer platform.

However, if you're just a geek at heart, it is all pretty fun at least. :(

I'd say don't spend the money to just run OS X.  If you're upgrading a slow system, it is worth it, though.  The problem (to me) is that there is no guarantee we'll ever see another update, etc.

Fo shizzle. Thought so myself. "Hey, if it doesn't work out the way you wanted it to or if you're not satisfied...you still got a nice upgrade." But I must admit that the itchy feeling I had in my fingers while grabbing the mouse and pointing at the "Buy Now!"-button originates from the fact that I want to try it badly.

However, it is very useable, to me.  All my PPC apps run just fine and at a very acceptable speed.  But, for all we know when more universal binaries come out (from commercial vendors), they'll require say 10.4.2 or something that isn't available on the current developer platform.

...yet! :wacko:

However, if you're just a geek at heart, it is all pretty fun at least. :)

Hehe, yeah, but I'd say rather nosey than geeky...plus my girlfriend will hate me if I tell her the purpose for the new parts "I just had to buy!" ;) Unfortunately I have very basic OSX experience and practically very little C/C++ knowledge although I think this is something I could cure as a computer science student :P

The thing is, Apple has no reason to release updates to the Developer Platform... They just need something people can compile and test on, and it works great for that. :D But I hope there is something before 10.5.

Good luck, it is at least fun I think. :D My fiance doesn't mind that I'm a geek. hehe

- Some SSE3 capable P4, not sure about its clock frequency yet, my wallet decides.

Here's another MB to consider, the Foxconn 915G7MC-ES - extremely OSX86-friendly:

Foxconn 915G7MC-ES

Notice how this page says it has:

Audio Integrated, 5.1 channel AC'97 (Realtek)

LAN Integrated Fast Ethernet (10/100) controller (Realtek)

IEEE-1394 2; 1 x 6-pin in rear I/O area + 1 front via internal header; 1394a

I'm pretty sure all 3 of these would be supported "out of the box" in OSX86 - which is something even the Intel boards can't claim!

so if i buy this board an all. will everthing work? can you use alias maya? does 3d hardware accelaration fully work? does 3d games work, just curious wont be using for gaming. will the DVD player work? will flash work in the browser? i see the gma 900 is 128mb which is more than decent. osx is so much of a better os than windows. although i will still run a windows box for apps such as zbrush, flash apps, psp, xbox apps and all. windows library of apps is vast, i would never leave it, but for basic use i want osx. i cant afford a real osx box. i dont care about updates either. i just want a 99.9% working os, is this possible with the right x86 hardware? also i read something in the legal blabbering in the beginning about it being a time limit on the use of the software. does this have a timebomb like Vista, does the os expire after time?

Does somebody (cyrana?) actually own these parts with OSx86 running?

Is it worth it (e.g. reliability) and could it substitute an ordinary XP workstation? I'm not a gamer at all, I just want to do everyday stuff like surfing, office jobs and here and then some programming?

I'd be glad to get some responses :)

(Pssst...I think I'll order the parts anyway, ha! ;) )

I actually tried this motherboard and ended up returning it. While my experience with Asus is generally excellent, not so with this motherboard. Firstly it has no overclocking features re FSB and secondly it is very fussy about how IDE drives are mounted and no matter how installed always very slow to boot BIOS. It is also micro atx which may or may not be important to you. Suggest you try the MSI 915G COMBO - FR (see my post at http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=1747). everything works and it is very fast.

Good luck.

The thing is, Apple has no reason to release updates to the Developer Platform...  They just need something people can compile and test on, and it works great for that. :)  But I hope there is something before 10.5.

Good luck, it is at least fun I think. ;)  My fiance doesn't mind that I'm a geek. hehe

Apple has released 10.4.2 x86 to Developer......

Just we don't have it !!!!

Lestat, how do you find the speed of your system? I have the same parts as you i.e:

Intel D915GEVL

Prescott 650 3.4ghz

512mbx4 Corsair 533mhz ddr2

Samsung Spinpoint 200gb Sata Drive

Pioneer DVR110BK

Antec Sonata II Case

Unfortunately no DVI as I got the wrong card (Reverse pin-out) can't send it back either as I bent the retaining bracket to get it to fit ATX case :)

I am using the Phenix image only patched with the Xplode Oah750 file and booting the install straight from the DVD. I don't get hardly any crashes.

i installed with xplode method, pear ppc tehn vmware then native to second hd, THNE i removed the hd and installed it in a 915 gag , evberything runs ok, BUT i have a gma900 but no core or quartz, i already have unpatcher Maxuss patch and installed coregraphics from teh one suposedly unpatched, i can cghangfe resolutions and all things but it says

Core Not Supported

Quarts Not sdupported

Please help!!!"!!

Aberracus

Lestat, how do you find the speed of your system? I have the same parts as you i.e:

Intel D915GEVL

Prescott 650 3.4ghz

Pioneer DVR110BK

Antec Sonata II Case

Unfortunately no DVI as I got the wrong card (Reverse pin-out) can't send it back either as I bent the retaining bracket to get it to fit ATX case  :mellow:

I am using the Phenix image only patched with the Xplode Oah750 file and booting the install straight from the DVD. I don't get hardly any crashes.

Intel D915GEVL

Prescott 650 3.4ghz

Pioneer DVR110BK

Antec Sonata II Case

Unfortunately no DVI as I got the wrong card (Reverse pin-out) can't send it back either as I bent the retaining bracket to get it to fit ATX case  :P

there is a certain kext file you must delete fo qayrtz to work on a 915. i dont know which file it is, do a search youll find it.

it seems totally worth it to me. If nothing else you've got a tiger system for under $200. Hell, worse comes to worst you can always just sell the parts later to recoup some of the investment or (gasp) install some other os on it. you can barely get a g3 for $200, and when you start talking about their being no updates...

Intel D915GEVL

Prescott 650 3.4ghz

Pioneer DVR110BK

Antec Sonata II Case

Unfortunately no DVI as I got the wrong card (Reverse pin-out) can't send it back either as I bent the retaining bracket to get it to fit ATX case  :unsure:

Well You have a faster CPU than me....

I feel my system is pretty faster than my iBook G4 800..

and have no problem (PPC apps.. etc..)

I am very satisfied with mine..

but I hope more PPC apps come out...

i installed with xplode method, pear ppc tehn vmware then native to second hd, THNE i removed the hd and installed it in a 915 gag , evberything runs ok, BUT i have a gma900 but no core or quartz, i already have unpatcher Maxuss patch and installed coregraphics from teh one suposedly unpatched, i can cghangfe resolutions and all things but it says

Core Not Supported

Quarts Not sdupported

Please help!!!"!!

Aberracus

I think you should install natively... not using dd, vmware.

just patch xplode's oah750 patch then try native install..

maybe you can use QE...