Atheros AR5007EG

shine-away

32 posts in this topic

EDIT: This method really isn't practical, it's been a year since I was using this laptop. It's all to do with the HAL being newer/older than the atheros driver supports, so rebranding the card probably won't work. If I still had a laptop with a ar5007, I would order a new airport compatible wireless card and switch the ar5007 with that, one such as a Dell Wireless 1397 will work nicely with the broadcom driver posted in this category.

------------------------ Read the above, before trying this guide.

Hey guys, I have only recently joined the Hackintosh race by installing OS X on my Acer Aspire 5310, which comes with an AR5007EG card, which as we all know is not fully supported by OS X. This is an updated method which should get your AR5007EG card to work 80%, but it uses more updated kexts than oldmaclover's guide.

Here is my guide/attempt at getting the AR5007 to work 80% in Mac OS X 10.5.6:

My Install

I have done a clean install of iDeneb V1.4, 10.5.6. On the iDeneb install DVD I also included the AR5007 Patch and Atheros Wifi Patch, these are located Network patches group.

Patching your kexts

First of all you will need to download the following updated kexts; IONetworkingFamily.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOPCMCIA.kext, these are located at the bottom of this post.

Next use Kexthelper to install them, it's best to do these all in one go. Once done quit kexthelper.

Now download the IO80211Family.kext at the bottom of this post and install it using kexthelper again.

Once installed, open up the Disk Utility application and Repair your Disk Permissions.

When the permissions have been repaired restart your computer.

You should find that a new symbol has popped up on your menu bar. You may need to open System Preferences >> Network and click apply at the bottom for Airport to turn on.

Once Airport is on fully, click the airport icon on the menu bar and it should try to scan, no networks right? So airport needs help to find networks, this is where KisMAC comes in to help.

Download KisMAC trunk r319 and open it up, open the Preference Pane and click on the drivers tab, select the driver called "Apple Airport Extreme, passive mode", click the "Add" button. Close the Preferences Pane and click Start Scan. It may ask you for your password, if so type it in and click OK.

It should now find networks, if it does Quit KisMAC, click on the Airport icon and connect to your network, you can now surf the web and check for updates, etc.

If you don't find networks you may need to reboot your computer, but make sure you turn Airport off before you do so. If you still can't find networks look at the Errors Guide.

You may encounter some errors when you shutdown your machine and start it up again when you need to use it, below is a guide to help.

Errors Guide:

~ KisMAC's spindle just spins and doesn't find anything. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ KisMAC's spindle spins only for half the scan and then goes really slow. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ KisMAC's spindle doesn't spin at all. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ I get a kernel panic at boot. (TO FIX: Use these kernel flags "-v -f" it should now startup, if not post a reply)

And thats how I got my AR5007EG to work in OS X. Sometimes I have to restart and shutdown in all different patterns until KisMAC runs normally.

Attachments:

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext.zip

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Hi,

first of all, thank u for sharing your information with us.

I try and now my hackintosh no longer reboot:/

It says, that "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI" is missing and it waits for root device.

How can I repair it?

Thanx

Micha

• 3 months later...
Sorry but iDeneb is only supported due to it's mach kernel and the ACPI kexts it installs. I tryed my guide using iAtkos and I got kernel panics on boot.

Thanxs for that tidbit... :( but i have a question, does it work with ideneb 10.5.8? (lite edition) i dont want to poo up my install, since im lucky to have gotten this far ;) thank you in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the error guide, totally needed that, first thread i see it explained!.

NOTE: I'm on 10.5.5, Samsung R510, in windows vista wifi is detected as an AR5007EG ven:dev is 168c:001c , in system profiler it has 168c:7131.

Used the XxX 10.5.5 distro, vanilla kernell, Ichx by dune chipset patch, NVdarwin 256(Geforce 9200m gs).

For my marvell yukon ethernet card I installed a ionetworkingfamily.kext from another source(did a search on google for my card)

For my AR5007 wifi card I installed IO80211family.kext v.2.1.2

Further I installed some kexts for my sound and battery, but I don't think it's relevant.

I think I have the airport 2008-004 update.

O, and I can set my wifi to always on/always off/or same as last boot in my bios.(my setting:always on)

This is how I get it working, and if my airport isn't off I just turn it off and shutdown(if I use restart it doesn't work sometimes)

Airport is off, no kernell panics, airport card detected.

To make it work:

1. Turn airport on, reboot

2. After reboot start kismac and search.

3. You will see networks, quit kismac.

4. Join network with airport (enter network password if prompted)

5. Enjoy!

hope this helps

BTW @ echimal, do you have 10.5.8? Because I used an Ar5007 guide with my 10.5.8 setup and I got the same error. I couldn't restore it, and reinstalled whole leopard 10.5.5. I think this tutorial works best with 10.5.6 or below?

EDIT: Now it works turn airport on-use kismac, so without the rebooting. Think it works if you turn airport off everything before you shutdown/reboot/logoff and it worked that time.

EDIT2: mm the way described in my first edit doesn't work every time. O and btw I'm dualbooting OSX and Vista(OSX is active partition)

IO80211Family_kext_v.2.1.2.zip

this still hasn't worked for me... did it work for everyone else ?

It works(sometimes) for me.

I use 10.5.5 but edited version.plist to 10.5.6 for ilife 09 and safari 4.03.

What is your OSX version? because this didn't work for me when i had 10.5.8.

i got kernal panic and the -v -f solution did not work.... great now im going to have to reinstall... again....

Yea I also got a kernal panic and these solutions didn't work. I just a clean install then followed these instructions. It is this that caused the kernal panic. Reinstall time again! Woop!!

• 3 months later...
Hey guys, I have only recently joined the Hackintosh race by installing OS X on my Acer Aspire 5310, which comes with an AR5007EG card, which as we all know is not fully supported by OS X. This is an updated method which should get your AR5007EG card to work 80%, but it uses more updated kexts than oldmaclover's guide.

My Install

I have done a clean install of iDeneb V1.4, 10.5.6. On the iDeneb install DVD I also included the AR5007 Patch and Atheros Wifi Patch, these are located Network patches group.

Patching your kexts

First of all you will need to download the following updated kexts; IONetworkingFamily.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOPCMCIA.kext, these are located at the bottom of this post.

Next use Kexthelper to install them, it's best to do these all in one go. Once done quit kexthelper.

Now download the IO80211Family.kext at the bottom of this post and install it using kexthelper again.

Once installed, open up the Disk Utility application and Repair your Disk Permissions.

You should find that a new symbol has popped up on your menu bar. You may need to open System Preferences >> Network and click apply at the bottom for Airport to turn on.

Once Airport is on fully, click the airport icon on the menu bar and it should try to scan, no networks right? So airport needs help to find networks, this is where KisMAC comes in to help.

Download KisMAC trunk r319 and open it up, open the Preference Pane and click on the drivers tab, select the driver called "Apple Airport Extreme, passive mode", click the "Add" button. Close the Preferences Pane and click Start Scan. It may ask you for your password, if so type it in and click OK.

It should now find networks, if it does Quit KisMAC, click on the Airport icon and connect to your network, you can now surf the web and check for updates, etc.

If you don't find networks you may need to reboot your computer, but make sure you turn Airport off before you do so. If you still can't find networks look at the Errors Guide.

You may encounter some errors when you shutdown your machine and start it up again when you need to use it, below is a guide to help.

Errors Guide:

~ KisMAC's spindle just spins and doesn't find anything. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ KisMAC's spindle spins only for half the scan and then goes really slow. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ KisMAC's spindle doesn't spin at all. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ I get a kernel panic at boot. (TO FIX: Use these kernel flags "-v -f" it should now startup, if not post a reply)

And thats how I got my AR5007EG to work in OS X. Sometimes I have to restart and shutdown in all different patterns until KisMAC runs normally.

Attachments:

My Computer fails to boot!!!

My computer says, "Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.ApplePCPIPCI." It also says, "Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style."

I already tryed -v -f

PLEASE HELP!!!

:D:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

find the original kexts of the ones you installed on your dvd and copy to desktop. then boot your machine with -s option. on command prompt type

/sbin/mount -uw /

for each kext type

sudo cp /Users/yourusername/Desktop/kextname.kext /System/Library/Extensions

reboot. boot with -f -v

pray!

Next time before you install kexts get "osx68 tools" and backup your extensions.

if it doesn't boot to command line with -s then i guess you are screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

My Install

Patching your kexts

Errors Guide:

Attachments:

Could this work with my installation?

iAtkos v7

mycardinfo.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am still not finding any networks. I have rebooted the machine with AirPort off. After doing this, when it rebooted, it paniced, and so I had to use the -f -v switch. Booted fine, turned AirPort back on, then ran KisMAC. Still just scanning with no networks.

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I am using an EEE pc 900 and am running into the same issue. My computer paniced until I ran repair disk permissions. But airport won't find networks and neither will Kismac.

I am still not finding any networks. I have rebooted the machine with AirPort off. After doing this, when it rebooted, it paniced, and so I had to use the -f -v switch. Booted fine, turned AirPort back on, then ran KisMAC. Still just scanning with no networks.

Any suggestions?

im using an eeepc 900 as well, with iPC 10.5.6 installed, i installed the IO80211Family.kext and am booting up fine with no kernel panics.

The AR5007EG is recognised as an airport.

i search for networks in Kismac, THEY COME UP

i close kismac, click on airport in the corner, NETWORKS COME UP!!!

i sign in using my WPA2 and IT WORKS

I LOVE YOU PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh.

be careful if you want to install iopcifamily.kext & IOPCMCIA.kext,

once i download the two files from another forum, i got a kernel panic

my OS is ideneb 10.5.8, it seems there's many bugs with this distro

good luck!

PS: my PC is Toshiba L310, both LAN&WLAN don't work

Marvel Yukon 88e8040t & ar5007eg

• 2 months later...