Atheros AR5007EG

shine-away

32 posts in this topic

this toturial got my ethernet working but unfortunately not my wifi. it just keeps scaning and nothing pops up .

I am using an EEE pc 900 and am running into the same issue. My computer paniced until I ran repair disk permissions. But airport won't find networks and neither will Kismac.

I'm newbie in Hackintosh world.

I've installed iDeneb OSX 10.5.7 in my Acer 2920Z almost successful. Everything work fine but the Atheros 5007EG wifi card. After trying all solutions around with no success, I use the kext package from Kext.com at the link below:

http://www.kexts.com/view/236-atherosar5007eg.html

The Wifi now can see the card and turns on but trying KisMAC 319 could not find out any net work. Finally, I delete the Extensions.mkext file in the System/Library/ folder and restart. Bingo, run KisMAC and I can see the network now to connect.

The Wifi works fine until I reboot. After reboot, I could not find the Wifi network again. Finally, I found out that if I reboot, I need to delete theExtensions.mkext file and restart the computer then I can scan the WIFI network using KisMAC and can connect to. Can anyone help to find out the reason?

One more interesting thing I found out is the Extensions.mkext file that Leopard 10.5.7 rebuilds is exactly having the same date and size of the one that I deleted. I guess it should be rebuild base on some backup file which is put somewhere by Leopard. I don't know where to find the backup file as well as don't know if I found out that backupExtensions.mkext file and also delete it if Leopard can rebuild the Extensions.mkext file or not.

I hope someone can help to look at this and we can find out the solution to help the Atheros 5007EG can work with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm newbie in Hackintosh world.

I've installed iDeneb OSX 10.5.7 in my Acer 2920Z almost successful. Everything work fine but the Atheros 5007EG wifi card. After trying all solutions around with no success, I use the kext package from Kext.com at the link below:

http://www.kexts.com/view/236-atherosar5007eg.html

The Wifi now can see the card and turns on but trying KisMAC 319 could not find out any net work. Finally, I delete the Extensions.mkext file in the System/Library/ folder and restart. Bingo, run KisMAC and I can see the network now to connect.

The Wifi works fine until I reboot. After reboot, I could not find the Wifi network again. Finally, I found out that if I reboot, I need to delete theExtensions.mkext file and restart the computer then I can scan the WIFI network using KisMAC and can connect to. Can anyone help to find out the reason?

One more interesting thing I found out is the Extensions.mkext file that Leopard 10.5.7 rebuilds is exactly having the same date and size of the one that I deleted. I guess it should be rebuild base on some backup file which is put somewhere by Leopard. I don't know where to find the backup file as well as don't know if I found out that backupExtensions.mkext file and also delete it if Leopard can rebuild the Extensions.mkext file or not.

I hope someone can help to look at this and we can find out the solution to help the Atheros 5007EG can work with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

hi Chipvn,

I installed the driver you mentioned, and my AR5007EG shows as an airport, but i cannot turn it on,when i scan wifi with KisMAC,i got a kernel panic,my OS is snow leopard 10.6.3.

is there any solution!?! thx!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Just sharing my story.

Acer Extensa 5220

Kaly 5.2.2 - upgrading to 10.5.5 to try this fix.

I could not get it to work, no matter what I did. Weeks of trial and error got me nowhere. Following this guide, the next guys guide, and so on.

I have decided to buy a new wifi adaptor for my computer, one that is known to work.

Good luck to you all!

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: This method really isn't practical, it's been a year since I was using this laptop. It's all to do with the HAL being newer/older than the atheros driver supports, so rebranding the card probably won't work. If I still had a laptop with a ar5007, I would order a new airport compatible wireless card and switch the ar5007 with that, one such as a Dell Wireless 1397 will work nicely with the broadcom driver posted in this category.

------------------------ Read the above, before trying this guide.

Hey guys, I have only recently joined the Hackintosh race by installing OS X on my Acer Aspire 5310, which comes with an AR5007EG card, which as we all know is not fully supported by OS X. This is an updated method which should get your AR5007EG card to work 80%, but it uses more updated kexts than oldmaclover's guide.

Here is my guide/attempt at getting the AR5007 to work 80% in Mac OS X 10.5.6:

My Install

I have done a clean install of iDeneb V1.4, 10.5.6. On the iDeneb install DVD I also included the AR5007 Patch and Atheros Wifi Patch, these are located Network patches group.

Patching your kexts

First of all you will need to download the following updated kexts; IONetworkingFamily.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOPCMCIA.kext, these are located at the bottom of this post.

Next use Kexthelper to install them, it's best to do these all in one go. Once done quit kexthelper.

Now download the IO80211Family.kext at the bottom of this post and install it using kexthelper again.

Once installed, open up the Disk Utility application and Repair your Disk Permissions.

When the permissions have been repaired restart your computer.

You should find that a new symbol has popped up on your menu bar. You may need to open System Preferences >> Network and click apply at the bottom for Airport to turn on.

Once Airport is on fully, click the airport icon on the menu bar and it should try to scan, no networks right? So airport needs help to find networks, this is where KisMAC comes in to help.

Download KisMAC trunk r319 and open it up, open the Preference Pane and click on the drivers tab, select the driver called "Apple Airport Extreme, passive mode", click the "Add" button. Close the Preferences Pane and click Start Scan. It may ask you for your password, if so type it in and click OK.

It should now find networks, if it does Quit KisMAC, click on the Airport icon and connect to your network, you can now surf the web and check for updates, etc.

If you don't find networks you may need to reboot your computer, but make sure you turn Airport off before you do so. If you still can't find networks look at the Errors Guide.

You may encounter some errors when you shutdown your machine and start it up again when you need to use it, below is a guide to help.

Errors Guide:

~ KisMAC's spindle just spins and doesn't find anything. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ KisMAC's spindle spins only for half the scan and then goes really slow. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ KisMAC's spindle doesn't spin at all. (TO FIX: Turn Airport off and restart your computer)

~ I get a kernel panic at boot. (TO FIX: Use these kernel flags "-v -f" it should now startup, if not post a reply)

And thats how I got my AR5007EG to work in OS X. Sometimes I have to restart and shutdown in all different patterns until KisMAC runs normally.

Attachments:

hey i installed the kents and now when i try to start up mac, it jst stays at the apple logo, help me please

• 1 year later...

ok guys and girls... im running ideneb 1.6 (10.5.8) nice clean install no probs on samsung nc10

ethernet works fine,

sound works fine

cant get anything other than 800x600 even though ive got correct intel GMA950 kext

Atheros wifi wont work with all different combos ive tried.. im not prepared to downgrade and {censored} about with kernel crashes and constant reboots.. its just not worth the trouble i mean there are other options..

I was gona buy an external usb wifi but my atheros card works great on xp (im dual booting with chameleon 2) BUT bluetooth is working great out of the box with ideneb 1.6 sooooo

Ive just paired my 3G wifi capable phone and im surfing the net over bluetooth which will do just fine for me I recon!! dont have to buy anything and keeps things nice and simple! I havnt worked out how to get wifi from my phone through bluetooth to my nc10 yet but its good to go on my gprs for now!

ok guys and girls... im running ideneb 1.6 (10.5.8) nice clean install no probs on samsung nc10

ethernet works fine,

sound works fine

cant get anything other than 800x600 even though ive got correct intel GMA950 kext

Atheros wifi wont work with all different combos ive tried.. im not prepared to downgrade and {censored} about with kernel crashes and constant reboots.. its just not worth the trouble i mean there are other options..

I was gona buy an external usb wifi but my atheros card works great on xp (im dual booting with chameleon 2) BUT bluetooth is working great out of the box with ideneb 1.6 sooooo

Ive just paired my 3G wifi capable phone and im surfing the net over bluetooth which will do just fine for me I recon!! dont have to buy anything and keeps things nice and simple! I havnt worked out how to get wifi from my phone through bluetooth to my nc10 yet but its good to go on my gprs for now!