Is new mac mini upgradable?

16 posts in this topic

I was hoping to get a mac mini when "the upgraded ones came out". Well here they are. And the prices indicate apple still has their heads in the cloud. I configured a dell inspiron 530 with identical specs as the baseline mac mini...

Dell $279

Mac Mini $599

Not to mention the dell has a 3x bigger hard drive. But hey, if I ever want to get myself a mac I will have to learn to accept the prices. Anyway, in an effort to spare my wallet, I was wondering whether the mac can be opened and upgraded?

Thx,

Mark

OK is that a regular Dell desktop, or the Studio Hybrid? Because obviously a regular desktop is gonna be cheaper.

When you compare it to the Studio Hybrid, the Mini is actually better value. The Mac Mini costs more because it's so frikkin tiny. So does the Studio Hybrid. (Comparison not done by me, YMMV) This is a better comparison IMO.

1236094141345.png

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, it can be opened up and upgraded - there are two DDR3 Sodimm slots, and you can replace the hard drive. You use a putty knife. It's slightly tricky but totally do-able.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I was referring to the ugly, cheap looking inspirons. Still, the specs could be better for the price, even though it is so small. But then again you could argue that it's more expensive because you pay for a better OS...

But I'm glad that it's upgradable, means I can save money with the RAM and such. I "chatted" with an apple expert on their website. The guy told me that no component of the mac mini is upgradable. I guess they're paid to suck the most money that they can out of you :thumbsdown_anim: .

BTW that chart you found is outdated.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I was referring to the ugly, cheap looking inspirons. Still, the specs could be better for the price, even though it is so small. But then again you could argue that it's more expensive because you pay for a better OS....
Exactly.
But I'm glad that it's upgradable, means I can save money with the RAM and such. I "chatted" with an apple expert on their website. The guy told me that no component of the mac mini is upgradable. I guess they're paid to suck the most money that they can out of you :thumbsdown_anim:
Oh yeah. Apple try sucker you out of all your cash. I know a guy who's really rich, and bought a Mac. They sold him so much more! iWork, Office, MobileMe, RAM upgrades (at Apple prices etc etc.

Anyway, they say it's impossible to upgrade. This is because it's not as like the Macbook with a little latch for the RAM and hard drive, most people wouldn't dare pry open a Mini to upgrade it - but it can be done quite easily.

BTW that chart you found is outdated.
Thanks.

Don't you void the warranty of the Mac Mini by opening it yourself?

I too think Apple could do a better job pricing their products... but I don't think at this point in time, they need price match the competition. I seem to be spending quite a sizable chunk of cash less in software and I certainly don't waste as much time troubleshooting my Mac. While Windows systems are cheaper on the front end, Macs can save you money on the back end... though I am still not convinced it is a complete wash, it is something to contemplate when considering their comparative value.

You have to factor in the price of the software, also, though. The presence of Leopard and iLife make the Mini seem like at least moderate value for money. Also, the Mini's case is a work of art. I upgraded the memory on my older model after the warranty period was over, so I don't know about the warranty but Synaesthesia is correct.

I thought in the past that the Mac-Mini was not upgradable, or at least not easy to do it. Correct me if I am wrong? ;)

It isn't designed for end-user upgrades...

Mac mini user's guide:

Do Not Make Repairs Yourself

Your Mac mini doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts. Do not attempt to open your

Mac mini. If your Mac mini needs service, consult the service and support information

that came with your computer for instructions about how to contact an Apple

Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service.

If you open your Mac mini or install items, you risk damaging your equipment, and

such damage isn’t covered by the limited warranty on your Mac mini.

But since when has that stopped people.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought in the past that the Mac-Mini was not upgradable, or at least not easy to do it. Correct me if I am wrong? ;)

The hard drive ram and processor can all be replaced. With the latest model ifixet have also found a way to replace the optical drive with a second hard drive (google for ifixit 1tb mini to find thier kit and guide).

I haven't had one open myself but from what I can gather opening it isn't too hard if you have the right tools and good instructions.

I think the Mac Mini is overpriced for what you get. Sure, the design is great and so is the OS, but at the end of the day there are PCs which cost less and have better (or more powerful) hardware. Not to mention most PCs come with keyboard and mouse, and the Mac Mini does not (which adds to its cost). In terms of upgradability, a PC is way more customizable. The same cannot be said about the Mac Mini or most Macs for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you void the warranty of the Mac Mini by opening it yourself?

void big time, but then u don't have to pay the hilarious prices

I haven't had one open myself but from what I can gather opening it isn't too hard if you have the right tools and good instructions.

it's really easy if you don't have shaky hands, all you need is a putty knife

I think the Mac Mini is overpriced for what you get. Sure, the design is great and so is the OS, but at the end of the day there are PCs which cost less and have better (or more powerful) hardware. Not to mention most PCs come with keyboard and mouse, and the Mac Mini does not (which adds to its cost). In terms of upgradability, a PC is way more customizable. The same cannot be said about the Mac Mini or most Macs for that matter.

De gustibus non est disputandum

:)

If I replace the hard drive on the Mini, can I install OS X using my system restore discs (from a mini or imac), or does the install on the new hard drive need to come from a retail version of OS X? The Mini will be brand new, so I don't have any data to backup. I just want to get one, pull the HD and replace with something bigger. All of the tutorials online don't seem to specify the process of reinstalling OS X. Do I need to have the old drive tethered to the mini when I boot it with the new, blank drive installed, or can I just boot it with my restore disc and then rock and roll?

Thanks

If I replace the hard drive on the Mini, can I install OS X using my system restore discs (from a mini or imac), or does the install on the new hard drive need to come from a retail version of OS X? The Mini will be brand new, so I don't have any data to backup. I just want to get one, pull the HD and replace with something bigger. All of the tutorials online don't seem to specify the process of reinstalling OS X. Do I need to have the old drive tethered to the mini when I boot it with the new, blank drive installed, or can I just boot it with my restore disc and then rock and roll?

Thanks

Nah... there isn't anything funky. You'll be good to go with just the new drive and can install the OS from either a backup source or the disc that came with your mini.

Nah... there isn't anything funky. You'll be good to go with just the new drive and can install the OS from either a backup source or the disc that came with your mini.

Ok cool. Do you know if the system restore discs are computer specific, i.e. my imac and the mini restore discs? I have a few apple computers at home so I don't know what's what (not sure if the discs are actually labeled).

Thanks again,

Mike

<edit>

Sorry, but just to clarify, would I install the blank drive into the mini, then boot the mini with the restore discs and from there select the option to partition and install the OS, or should i hook the new drive up via external encosure to an existing computer, like my iMac, boot the iMac with the restore discs, and then install the OS on the blank external drive? Then swap the external drive with the one in the Mini?

Also, can anyone recommend a good drive for this purpose, or just whatever 2.5" SATA laptop drives are in favor on Newegg?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, New Egg should have what you want. 2.5" sata drives are what the mini takes. I upgraded the wife's laptop with WD 200gb 7200rpm for not much money.

A short note on pricing. While you don't get a keyboard or mouse with a mini, you do get a wireless N draft card and bluetooth along with a firewire 800 jack. Not too many PC's come with those out of the box.