BootCamp Success! (Pics Included)

GrimmReaver

11 posts in this topic

Well, I've haven't been a member here until a few minutes ago, but I've been learning a lot from the forums and the guides. So here is the short story of my success with boot camp on a MacBook Pro:

I was pretty siked when I read the announcement form Apple about BootCamp, and so were many others. I decided right away that I wanted to put it on my brothers spanking new MacBook Pro that he just got two weeks ago. There was that "brand new Mac" smell in the house for a week!

Unfortunately, I didn't have Windows XP +SP2, so I had to slipstream it, which came out perfectly. I used :Paul Thurott's Windows XP SP2 slipstreaming guide ,it was fool proof, and worked fine.

I then proceeded with firmware update, which was a bit tricky. I held down the power button after reboot, and it didn't start the firmware update. After a few unlucky tries my brother figured out a technique where you had to wait for the white hibernation light to flash once or twice before you let go of the power button. It worked!

Next, I started the BootCamp Assistant, and followed the instructions. I burned the Mac Drivers, a step that took a few minutes.

Finally, it asked me to partition the drive, and I selected the 5 gb option, because my brother has an 80 gig external drive, so he could use it to store apps on it, instead of using the internal drive.

Now all that was left was to reboot the machine and pop in my newly slipstreamed Windows XP boot disc. It began like any normal Windows installation (believe me, I've done a boat load) as you can see here:

DSCN0242-full.jpg

And here are a few more Windows installation pics

DSCN0244-full.jpg

DSCN0258-full.jpg

I can't even begin to describe how perked I was when I saw this:

DSCN0251-full.jpg

Its a bit blurry, but that's because my hands were shaking from excitement :)

And here it is, Windows on Mac! Officially!

DSCN0267-full.jpg

Here I'm installing the Mac drivers.

As soon as the drivers were on it, the sound and internet were working. If you are doing the same on a MacBook Pro, don't freak out when your mouse (or pad) seems to freeze. Its installing the USB and pad drivers. You won't be able to use the Camera or Bluetooth.

Well, I hope you guys enjoy this, and may it help you. Please post your own success stories!

Its like what everyone has been saying - its slightly faster than it running on a normal PC. But if you think about it again, it’s mainly due to the fact that the MacBook Pro has the Duo chip, which at the moment isn’t available to other PCs.

Also, it’s my little brother's laptop, so I'm eating my heart out like anyone else :)

moksha: I know what you are talking about. But as we speak, I am almost sure there are no Laptops or Desktops with the core duo in them. I know that Dell will begin selling some models starting next week.

Edit: I am not saying I know everything. I am pretty sure that there are no models that are being sold now with the core duo. I know that some retail stores sell the core duo separately. But I can be wrong.

yeah man, im loving the boot camp. its quite amazing how fast windows runs if you only run games.

thats what i do; strictly games, no web, music, movies, nothin. i have the comfort of osx for that. its quite amazing how relaxed i am whn i browse the web in osx, then if i hop on firefox in mozilla i tense up, knowing im at high risk.

congrats about your success!

moksha: I know what you are talking about. But as we speak, I am almost sure there are no Laptops or Desktops with the core duo in them. I know that Dell will begin selling some models starting next week.

Actually there are plenty of Core Duo notebooks available for immediate purchase. Here's a search at Circuit City which shows around 12 models available: Circuit City. A search at CompUSA yields similar results: CompUSA.