WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

So unfortunately it is still not working for me. I tried both packages just to be thorough, and I still get "NO DEVICE!" even after unplugging and replugging the dongle. Any other ideas?

You know you have to reboot, right? You also should remove the RT73/RT2870 kext(s) if you have tried the other methods prior to this latest one.

Looking around the Net I see a few Ubuntu threads that mentions this device as a WUSB54GCS rather than a WUSB54GC. That would explain the new Device ID with same Vendor ID. I figured people would be aware of the difference but I was wrong. Anyway, hopefully you can return this to the store and get the regular WUSB54GC. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm truly, truly amazed.

To make a long story short, I just got a very cheap Core Duo MacBook (10.6.1) that had, among other things, the Wireless being almost completely non-functional. I was hesitant to install a new card (the top case has some damage near the surface, and I was afraid opening up the case would only make it worse), so I decided to try Warstrong's drivers with a brand new WUSB54GC-CA version 3 (which according to what I've read, has an RT2501, which is apparently similar to the RT73).

I originally tried the drivers marked for WUSB54GC v3, with the drivers for the RT2870, which I installed manually using his steps. It didn't work (USBWirelessUtility reported "Device Not Found"). I then tried reinstalling both the version 3 drivers and the version 1/2 drivers using Kext Helper. A few minutes later, the system detected the drivers and the device, and for now they work well. I haven't yet encountered the rebooting issue.

For anyone currently running Snow Leopard, I can confirm in my limited testing that these drivers do work in 10.6.1, at least under my limited testing with my home network (Linksys WRT54G with WPA2).

Thank you Warstrong, for all of your efforts.

I'm truly, truly amazed.

To make a long story short, I just got a very cheap Core Duo MacBook (10.6.1) that had, among other things, the Wireless being almost completely non-functional. I was hesitant to install a new card (the top case has some damage near the surface, and I was afraid opening up the case would only make it worse), so I decided to try Warstrong's drivers with a brand new WUSB54GC-CA version 3 (which according to what I've read, has an RT2501, which is apparently similar to the RT73).

I originally tried the drivers marked for WUSB54GC v3, with the drivers for the RT2870, which I installed manually using his steps. It didn't work (USBWirelessUtility reported "Device Not Found"). I then tried reinstalling both the version 3 drivers and the version 1/2 drivers using Kext Helper. A few minutes later, the system detected the drivers and the device, and for now they work well. I haven't yet encountered the rebooting issue.

For anyone currently running Snow Leopard, I can confirm in my limited testing that these drivers do work in 10.6.1, at least under my limited testing with my home network (Linksys WRT54G with WPA2).

Thank you Warstrong, for all of your efforts.

Thanks for the details, rampancy. I wasn't sure it was compatible with 10.6. Glad to hear all these success stories.

Thanks for the details, rampancy. I wasn't sure it was compatible with 10.6. Glad to hear all these success stories.

I'm pretty sure that for people on 32-bit CPUs like the older Core Duos, and for people who are using 10.6 on non-Hackintoshes, the drivers should work fine since I assume that they're 32-bit (for now, Snow Leopard boots into the 32-bit kernel by default on all compatible Apple hardware except on the Xserve). For people booting the 64-bit kernel on Snow Leopard, I'd expect that they wouldn't work.

Again, thanks for all of your hard work. I hope you're friend in the abusive relationship is doing better now.

FYI, I've not encountered the reboot issue so far - the drivers and the device both work between reboots without having to unplug and replug the device. Bravo!

Edit: I have noticed that this device gets surprisingly warm very quickly...has anyone noticed this too?

Just wanted to say thanks, got mine working with the Version 3 drivers (tried the others first)

My card is silver in color and registers as

Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter:

Product ID: 0x0020

Vendor ID: 0x13b1

Version: 0.01

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

Location ID: 0xfd600000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300

Works perfectly.

Thanks!

Kyle

I'm pretty sure that for people on 32-bit CPUs like the older Core Duos, and for people who are using 10.6 on non-Hackintoshes, the drivers should work fine since I assume that they're 32-bit (for now, Snow Leopard boots into the 32-bit kernel by default on all compatible Apple hardware except on the Xserve). For people booting the 64-bit kernel on Snow Leopard, I'd expect that they wouldn't work.

Again, thanks for all of your hard work. I hope you're friend in the abusive relationship is doing better now.

FYI, I've not encountered the reboot issue so far - the drivers and the device both work between reboots without having to unplug and replug the device. Bravo!

Edit: I have noticed that this device gets surprisingly warm very quickly...has anyone noticed this too?

Yeah, mine get hot after a little bit of use (I have two, one WUSB54GC and one WUSB54GCS). Not a real problem. :(

Yeah, mine get hot after a little bit of use (I have two, one WUSB54GC and one WUSB54GCS). Not a real problem. :(

These drivers also work on the WUSB54GCS? I thought that used some proprietary technology from Linksys which could be supported only by Linksys.

Warstrong, THANK YOU for doing this. The online community needs more people like you.

I'm trying to install on a machine with 10.4.11. None of the Kext Installers will work, so I tried using your manual method, but when I go into Terminal and type in:

sudo chmod -R 755 RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

it requests my password, then tells me:

chmod: RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext: No such file or directory

So I'm doing something wrong... I'm hoping it's stupid and simple. :)

Thanks for the help!

...and you're hoping right :( You have to either specify the location of RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext with "CD /location/of/file.kext" or by dragging the kext with Finder instead of typing out the file name/location.

Warstrong, THANK YOU for doing this. The online community needs more people like you.

I'm trying to install on a machine with 10.4.11. None of the Kext Installers will work, so I tried using your manual method, but when I go into Terminal and type in:

sudo chmod -R 755 RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

it requests my password, then tells me:

chmod: RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext: No such file or directory

So I'm doing something wrong... I'm hoping it's stupid and simple. :(

Thanks for the help!

...and you're hoping right :rolleyes: You have to either specify the location of RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext with "CD /location/of/file.kext" or by dragging the kext with Finder instead of typing out the file name/location.

Brilliant - worked great. As you can tell, this type of thing isn't my strength. :rolleyes:

One more stupid question which may or may not be related. Everything seems to be set up and in the Wireless Utility it says I've connected to my AirPort network (which I know works, because I'm using it on my laptop). But when I open Safari or Firefox, they tell me I'm not connected to the internet. And I'm not sure what to do. Is there something I need to reset?

Brilliant - worked great. As you can tell, this type of thing isn't my strength. :rolleyes:

One more stupid question which may or may not be related. Everything seems to be set up and in the Wireless Utility it says I've connected to my AirPort network (which I know works, because I'm using it on my laptop). But when I open Safari or Firefox, they tell me I'm not connected to the internet. And I'm not sure what to do. Is there something I need to reset?

Maybe you need to go into System Preferences -> Network? It probably hasn't recognized the card as a network device yet. Make sure you activate it and hit "Apply".

Maybe you need to go into System Preferences -> Network? It probably hasn't recognized the card as a network device yet. Make sure you activate it and hit "Apply".

I'm sure you're right but after searching around in System Preferences I'm not sure how to activate the card. What am I looking for in that menu?

I'm sure you're right but after searching around in System Preferences I'm not sure how to activate the card. What am I looking for in that menu?

Just open up the System Preferences application and click on the Network button. From there, you'll see a list of internet adapters. The WUSB54GC will probably show up as "en0". Click on the one that looks like it's the WUSB54GC and tell me what it says under "Status".

Just open up the System Preferences application and click on the Network button. From there, you'll see a list of internet adapters. The WUSB54GC will probably show up as "en0". Click on the one that looks like it's the WUSB54GC and tell me what it says under "Status".

It doesn't look like that's appearing. 'Ethernet Adaptor (en1)' and 'Internal Modem' are my only options. Wireless Utility is still showing me as connected.

It doesn't look like that's appearing. 'Ethernet Adaptor (en1)' and 'Internal Modem' are my only options. Wireless Utility is still showing me as connected.

Hmmm... "Ethernet Adapter (en1)" seems like it might be the WUSB54GC... what's its status? Have you tried rebooting?

Hmmm... "Ethernet Adapter (en1)" seems like it might be the WUSB54GC... what's its status? Have you tried rebooting?

I've rebooted several times, so I don't think that's the issue. The status on en1 is:

'Ethernet Adaptor (en1) is currently active. Ethernet Adaptor (en1) has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.'

I've rebooted several times, so I don't think that's the issue. The status on en1 is:

'Ethernet Adaptor (en1) is currently active. Ethernet Adaptor (en1) has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.'

Okay, so "Ethernet Adapter (en1)" is the WUSB54GC. Seems like you need to enter the information in manually. Click on the "Configure" drop-down menu and select "Manually". Set it up like this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.203

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Good luck :thumbsup_anim:

Okay, so "Ethernet Adapter (en1)" is the WUSB54GC. Seems like you need to enter the information in manually. Click on the "Configure" drop-down menu and select "Manually". Set it up like this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.203

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Good luck ;)

One step closer. My network window now says I'm connected to the internet but still no luck actually loading webpages. I rebooted everything, reset Safari, etc.

I'll make this my last question either way - Warstrong, you've gone way above and beyond anything I had a right to expect answering my questions. Thank you, so much.

One step closer. My network window now says I'm connected to the internet but still no luck actually loading webpages. I rebooted everything, reset Safari, etc.

I'll make this my last question either way - Warstrong, you've gone way above and beyond anything I had a right to expect answering my questions. Thank you, so much.

that's strange... I'm not sure what's wrong at this point, but maybe you need to click on the gear at the bottom of the adapter list and click "Set Service Order..." from the drop-down menu. Then move en1 to the top of the list. Good luck... if that doesn't work I'll try to think of what else the problem could be. Don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Happened to be at a garage sale and found an AirPort Extreme for $10, so that solved my problem. Alas, I never got the WUSB54GC to work, even after moving it to the top of my list and disabling all other drivers.

Nevertheless I appreciate the help, Warstrong. Good luck to everyone else.