WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

Thanks for your reply!

Oh, and i've got another problem too. When i put the stick in the laptop and boot iAtkos, it hangs at a blue screen (not a windows blue screen, just a nice color of blue :)). The screen appears after the apple logo.

Then i shut the laptop down by holding the power button, take out the stick and boot again. Then it boots just normal.

Any solutions for this?

Thanks for your reply!

Oh, and i've got another problem too. When i put the stick in the laptop and boot iAtkos, it hangs at a blue screen (not a windows blue screen, just a nice color of blue :(). The screen appears after the apple logo.

Then i shut the laptop down by holding the power button, take out the stick and boot again. Then it boots just normal.

Any solutions for this?

Not that I know of, sorry. Did that suggestion actually work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I tried your installation method but it didn't work for me on SL 10.6.0

I'm using a kakewalk install of OSX86.

I have the version 1 model.

I downloaded your files and kext utility. Copied the folders, and installed the kext. Repaired permissions with disk utility. Restarted., opened the ralink wireless utility... nothing.

The usb appears at the usb on system profiler, but not on the network tab.

I tried with version 2-3 just in case... nothing.

Reinstalled again version 1, nothing...

Tried to install the kext with OSXTools but it doesn't let me open the kext...

Here's the info that appears on the system profiler

Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter:

Product ID: 0x0020

Vendor ID: 0x13b1

Version: 0.01

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

Location ID: 0xfa300000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300

Any help is appreciated... thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First thank you for posting all this info.

I have not yet gotten my WUSB54GC-RM to work.

I am on a regular Mac iMac G4 OS 4.11. The info on my (black usb wifi) is: version 1.01 Bus Power 500 Speed up to 12 Mb Manufacturer RaLink Product ID: 0x0077 Serial Number 1.0 Vendor ID: 0x1737

I followed your instructions, I used the WUSB54GC Version 2-3 - Tiger folder and manually copied everything into it's proper place then ran the permission etc. per your instructions. In the Extension folder there is only one file for the usb stick "RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext" is that correct?

I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

First thank you for posting all this info.

I have not yet gotten my WUSB54GC-RM to work.

I am on a regular Mac iMac G4 OS 4.11. The info on my (black usb wifi) is: version 1.01 Bus Power 500 Speed up to 12 Mb Manufacturer RaLink Product ID: 0x0077 Serial Number 1.0 Vendor ID: 0x1737

I followed your instructions, I used the WUSB54GC Version 2-3 - Tiger folder and manually copied everything into it's proper place then ran the permission etc. per your instructions. In the Extension folder there is only one file for the usb stick "RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext" is that correct?

I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry, I probably can't help you ;) Still a mystery to me... But...

Did you use an kext installation application, like Kext Installer B7? Other than that, vendor & product ID's are correct... Wish I knew why this is happening to some and not to others :)

Sorry, I probably can't help you :( Still a mystery to me... But...

Did you use an kext installation application, like Kext Installer B7? Other than that, vendor & product ID's are correct... Wish I knew why this is happening to some and not to others :(

I tried to install KEXT B7 but the error message is :Can't be install on your system

Is there another KEXT installer that works on a PPC 10.411?

UPDATE:

From within the terminal I attempted to load the kext and got this error message, am I using the wrong version?

sudo kextload -t RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

Password:

kernel extension RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext has problems:

Missing dependencies:

{

"com.apple.kpi.iokit" =

"A valid compatible version of this dependency cannot be found"

"com.apple.kpi.libkern" =

"com.apple.kpi.mach" =

"com.apple.kpi.bsd" =

"com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily" =

"com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" =

}

Warnings:

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

}

I've tried everything, nothing seems to work. I want to install driver and utility on an iBook with OS 10.3. I followed instructions, rebooted and then...nothing. I see the WUSB54GC as an USB device, not as a network device. Just the ethernet connection. My WUSB54GC has no version number so I assumed it's version 1. Tried 2 and 3 as well but no luck. I used Terminal to install the kext file, placed the directory with files in the library/frameworks directory and the utility in programs.

What am I doing wrong? In System Profile and System Preferences only my ethernet shows up. Searched this thread but can't find anything usefull. So if anybody has a hint, please let me know!

Thanks!

J

I have managed to load the 2 kext via the terminal, that is RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext and the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext but in the System Profile under extensions only the RT2870 is listed. The dongle has no light flashing. I know the dongle works because I tried it on a PC and there was no issue.

So why am I able to load via the terminal the kext(s) without error but only one is listed in the extensions? Yes I have touched the folder via terminal, deleted the Extensions.mkext and fixed preferences and rebooted... nothing zip?

DO I need both?

(I have version 3 of the WUSB54GC/black)

Thanks!

kernel extension RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext has problems:

Missing dependencies:

{

"com.apple.kpi.iokit" =

"com.apple.kpi.libkern" =

"com.apple.kpi.mach" =

"com.apple.kpi.bsd" =

"com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily" =

"com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" =

}

Warnings:

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

}

[/indent]

It seems that your "RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext" has dependency issues. Your version is 2.0.1, if I download the latest version 3.0.0 from Ralink it can be loaded fine without errors but I can't get the dongle to light-up. So if you or someone could tell me what I need to edit in the info.plist of the 3.0 version I think it will work. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if this procedure will work with the WUSB54G (no "C") which is more like a wired unit rather than a dongle?

Been trying all weekend, using a couple of different methods I've found online to get this thing to work on my old Sawtooth, with no luck.

I still have not gotten a working WUSB54GC but here is the curious thing... although my G4 iMac is running Tiger 10.4.11 (dongle v3) the only RT2870 driver that makes it light up is the Panther 10.3 v3. On reboot it lights up and when I tried to connect and or Activate with the Ralink app I get a total system crash. The crash log denotes unsolved dependencies with the RT2870 driver.

Has anyone solved the system crash issue with the Ralink application?

Thanks!

Finally I got my WUSB54GC (v3, that's the black dongle) working. I have a iMac G4 (PPC) 10.41. The package that "Warstrong" provided simply did not work for me, the V3 Tiger package had dependency issues with the RT2780 driver and would not load so... I went to the Ralink site and downloaded the newest driver package, RT2780. It comes with a nice installer and I installed it. For me it still didn't work until I edited the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext. What I did was make a copy of RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext and saved it to my desktop and edited its info.plist file with Text Editor. What needs to be done is to add this:

<key>Linksys - RT2870 - 3</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2870USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RT2870USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>119</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5943</integer>

</dict>

That magic number is "119" which is specific to dongle V3.

I added this new entry after the "Linksys - RT2870 - 2" entry.

I saved the file (info.plist) and dropped it (RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext) on the Extensions folder (you will be asked for your password and if you really want to replace this file, yes you do).

Now you have to set the permissions exactly like *Warstrong* has stated at the beginning of this post. Reboot and enjoy. Hope this helps. Additionally I have experienced the signal being dropped (annoying and probably due to being in the basement and the router two floors away) I just replug in the dongle and it finds the signal again.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally I got my WUSB54GC (v3, that's the black dongle) working. I have a iMac G4 (PPC) 10.41. The package that "Warstrong" provided simply did not work for me, the V3 Tiger package had dependency issues with the RT2780 driver and would not load so... I went to the Ralink site and downloaded the newest driver package, RT2780. It comes with a nice installer and I installed it. For me it still didn't work until I edited the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext. What I did was make a copy of RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext and saved it to my desktop and edited its info.plist file with Text Editor. What needs to be done is to add this:

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>119</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5943</integer>

</dict>

That magic number is "119" which is specific to dongle V3.

I added this new entry after the "Linksys - RT2870 - 2" entry.

I saved the file (info.plist) and dropped it (RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext) on the Extensions folder (you will be asked for your password and if you really want to replace this file, yes you do).

Now you have to set the permissions exactly like *Warstrong* has stated at the beginning of this post. Reboot and enjoy. Hope this helps. Additionally I have experienced the signal being dropped (annoying and probably due to being in the basement and the router two floors away) I just replug in the dongle and it finds the signal again.

Wow, never would've thought you needed to do it yourself! Congrats on getting your adapter working! Adding this to the OP now :)

I'm unsuccessful :(

I've been working on it for around 5 hours. Trying to get my 1st gen ( i think it's first gen) wusb54gc working under snow leopard 10.6.3. It already works in windows 7 on the same computer.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, as I followed the guide on the first page...so, I created a short film showing what I did (and hopefully where I went wrong). No matter what I do, the light never comes on, and no device is found using the software.

Would someone mind taking a look and helping me out? I'd be forever indebted!

I'm unsuccessful :D

I've been working on it for around 5 hours. Trying to get my 1st gen ( i think it's first gen) wusb54gc working under snow leopard 10.6.3. It already works in windows 7 on the same computer.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, as I followed the guide on the first page...so, I created a short film showing what I did (and hopefully where I went wrong). No matter what I do, the light never comes on, and no device is found using the software.

Would someone mind taking a look and helping me out? I'd be forever indebted!

Nice visual aid!

*if* all your permissions were set correctly, the only thing that comes to my mind is the info.plist (that is part of the content) of your chosen "kext" does not reference your particular model of WUSB54GC. That was my case and I had to edited the plist list to include my "version 3 of the dongle". I personally don't know what your hex number is. Try one of the other versions if you're not sure if yours is 1st generation.

I'm fairly certain it's the first version, as I bought it like 5 years ago before there was a third version.

And could you explain what exactly needs to be edited within the plist?

Edit:

I modified the info.plist based on my device and vendor ID in system profiler.

I cleared extension cache and checked permissions with osx86tools.

Rebooted with -f and -v, and could see the RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext being loaded.

In OSX there is still no light on on the WUSB54GC, and the wireless Utility application still tells me "No Device!!"

I've tried restarting a few times, and tried the device in different USB ports.

I'm running 10.6.3 with an i5 and a p55m-ud2 mobo, running a vanilla kernel.

:)

Edit x2:

I figured that maybe running in 64 bit mode was messing things up, but switching to 32 bit didn't help.

Also, while I see RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext being loaded in the text during bootup, if I go to system profiler and click on extensions, I don't see RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext...odd... can anyone confirm that their RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext shows up under extensions in system profiler?

What you need to add is the specific *idProduct* for your v1 dongle.

My dongle is V3 and I added this to the info.plist, the important idProduct number being "119"

The idVendor does not need to be changed.

--------------------------------------

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>119</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5943</integer>

</dict>

--------------------------------

In the System Profile (on your Mac under usb devices) you will find something like this (remember my version is v3):

version 1.01 Bus Power 500

Speed up to 12 Mb

Manufacturer RaLink

Product ID: 0x0077

Serial Number 1.0

Vendor ID: 0x1737

My Product ID is 0x0077, this translates to "119"

You need to find out what your Product ID is, then translates it and add a plist entry like I did only with your specific idProduct entry.

This will help you translate:

http://www.statman.info/conversions/hexadecimal.html

Good Luck.

Hm. I did that, but still it doesn't work.

I notice that if I go to system profiler, under extensions, i don't see the RT73USBWirelessDriver kext listed. Do you see that one (or the corresponding one for the v3 dongle?)

Hm. I did that, but still it doesn't work.

I notice that if I go to system profiler, under extensions, i don't see the RT73USBWirelessDriver kext listed. Do you see that one (or the corresponding one for the v3 dongle?)

Sorry I'm late!

Looks like you need to be using the RT2500 kext, not the RT2870, but that's just from memory. Try doing what Utapez did a few posts above, but use the RT2500 (or 2501) instead, and copy in the WUSB54GC entries from my RT2500 kext. Good luck and nice job with the video!