WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

This post is just here as an archive of the original first post. The download links are still in the first post.

Compatible with 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. 10.2 and below are not supported and 10.3 might not work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just built an installer so anybody can use the WUSB54GC with their OSX computer. Seems to work perfectly. It's attached to the bottom of this post. It's all you need to download for versions 1 to 2! So versions prior to 3 just need to download the third file, the first two can be ignored.

UPDATE: Good news for those with version 3 of this adapter. I've made an installer for this new version. Please post if there is an issue with this installer, as it has been reported that a manual installation of kexts using the application OSX86Tools is needed, but this may not be true for everyone. Uploaded on 4/19/09. Anyone with versions prior to 3 (white adapters) should still use the original setup package.

----------------------------------------OLD METHOD----------------------------------------------

After weeks of frustration with Prasys' driver and utility causing kernel panics and generally acting up under 10.5, I've found the best solution possible at this time. The basic idea is to install the official ralink stuff, but then replace the drivers with the slightly modified versions that are attached. Use OSX86Tools to install the kexts. I haven't experienced a kernel panic since I started using this driver...

1. Download and install the driver and utility from Ralink

2. At this point there will be the official RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext and RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext installed. Delete them from System/Library/Extensions.

3. Download attached ZIP file

4. Download and launch OSX86Tools and use it to install the two kexts once they've been extracted from the ZIP file

5. Restart the computer

6. It should start the new USBWirelessUtility and detect your WUSB54GC. Search and join your network. If you connect but you still can't load a web page, check under the Network pane in System Preferences to make sure the card has been added as a network interface

Note: If the utility says NO DEVICE!!!!!! it may just need you to replug the adapter. In this case I recommend using OSX86Tools to write a -f boot flag to com.apple.boot.plist

Note 2: Please reply back to report success or issues.

Links:

Ralink's 3-10-09 release of the RT2870 drivers and utility

Google OSx86Tools (InsanelyMac doesn't support links to its site for some reason)

For the last 2 days i am trying to install this wireless card on my laptop with mac 10.5.6. i tried all the drivers and methods. now it shows no device in the utillity. Can you supply me the correct links for the card the latest and working ones.

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter:

Product ID: 0x0073

Vendor ID: 0x1737 (Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Inst.)

Version: 2.00

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Location ID: 0xfd300000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

this shows in the system profiler.

thanks in advance

Disclaimer: The WUSB54GC is a different product than the WUSB54GCS (the one with speedbooster), so if you're buying one based on this driver you should make sure it's the standard model. All current versions, 1-3, are supported. 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) has been reported working.

For_WUSB54GC_Version_1.zip

For_WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3.zip

Directions:

Move the two .app files (USBWirelessUtility and AwakeRalinkUI) to the Applications folder. Then install KextHelper or Kext Installer or OSx86Tools to properly install the two kexts (RT2870.kext and RT73.kext). You may have to open up System Profiler, click on "Network" and hit apply for the card to connect. Remember that you also much use the "USBWirelessUtility" application to set up your connection and that you must start that every time you restart your computer. I recommend right clicking on its dock icon and checking "Open at Login". If you have any problems don't hesitate to ask for help.

I'm going to put up a donation link soon, so please consider a small donation when that happens.

If those kext installation apps don't support your computer (ie, you have a PPC (G3, G4, G5) or are running 10.4), you can follow these instructions:

Put the kext file(s) in /System/Library/Extensions/

Open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities) and set right permissions on kext by entering

sudo chmod -R 755 nameof.kext
  sudo chown -R  root:wheel nameof.kext
  sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Delete extensions.mkext in /System/Library/

Repair permissions with Disk Utility and reboot

--------------------------------------

Ignore these, they are from the old methods. Their instructions can be found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1192097

Thx everything worked flawless

• 3 weeks later...

After about 36 hours of trying to get my zd1211b based home made cantenna to work on Mac 0SX 10.5.6 I gave up and realized it was time to buy a new usb wi-fi device. I read all the posts about different USB wi-fi adapters. I decided based on your post that the Linksys WUSB54GC was the right choice.

I was right.

No hassles, installed kexts with kext helper and wholla, Internet.

I currently am running XxX OSX 10.5.6 on a Asus P5GC-1333 MX with a Core2Duo 2.6 GHZ processor and 2 gigs of ram.

Much praise and respect.

Taking the time (and it was a lot of time) to make a Hackintosh / Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit / Ubuntu 9.1 system is now worth it.

Now the only shame is that I won't be reading this forum much anymore.

Well, until I decide to put OSX on one of my two other PCs.

Cheers,

DJElvis

• 2 weeks later...

I really think I need serious help here.

Just bought a Linkys-Cisco WUSB54GC (Ver 3) the black model and followed all the steps and installed the drivers in page 1 and still doesnt work. I have reformatted and did another clean install and still failed. I tried installing this driver Linksys_WUSB54GC_Complete_Setup_v1_3_3.0.mpkg.zip and it installed successfully. Then I rebooted and it still shows "No device" under the USBwirelessutility. Even the System Profiler showed nothing under the "Network" however it did detect the dongle under "USB".

I'm running on Kalyway 10.5.2 and had tried for the past 18 hours figuring out how to solve this. Am I missing anything?

From System Profiler under "USB"

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Manufacturer: Linksysm

Product ID: 0x0075

Serial Number: 00

Vendor ID: 0x1737

I'm getting a little frustrated and I really wanna get this work. Any kind soul out there willing to help or private message me on the detailed steps? Please???

I really think I need serious help here.

Just bought a Linkys-Cisco WUSB54GC (Ver 3) the black model and followed all the steps and installed the drivers in page 1 and still doesnt work. I have reformatted and did another clean install and still failed. I tried installing this driver Linksys_WUSB54GC_Complete_Setup_v1_3_3.0.mpkg.zip and it installed successfully. Then I rebooted and it still shows "No device" under the USBwirelessutility. Even the System Profiler showed nothing under the "Network" however it did detect the dongle under "USB".

I'm running on Kalyway 10.5.2 and had tried for the past 18 hours figuring out how to solve this. Am I missing anything?

From System Profiler under "USB"

Bus Power (mA): 500

Manufacturer: Linksysm

Product ID: 0x0075

Serial Number: 00

Vendor ID: 0x1737

I'm getting a little frustrated and I really wanna get this work. Any kind soul out there willing to help or private message me on the detailed steps? Please???

Sorry for the long wait, I got the notification Monday morning but didn't have the time to reply. Anyway, I see why your device isn't working so I updated the kext. You shouldn't have used the "complete package" because it's old and some people had problems with it. The downloads at the top of the OP are what you're supposed to use. So go there and use "For_WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3_updated.zip". Thanks for sharing your PID and VID!

Sorry for the long wait, I got the notification Monday morning but didn't have the time to reply. Anyway, I see why your device isn't working so I updated the kext. You shouldn't have used the "complete package" because it's old and some people had problems with it. The downloads at the top of the OP are what you're supposed to use. So go there and use "For_WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3_updated.zip". Thanks for sharing your PID and VID!

Thanks alot Warstrong...I'll update you on the status.

Thanks again

Thanks alot Warstrong...I'll update you on the status.

Thanks again

For anyone else reading this, he tried the one I updated and it didn't work for him even though he did everything right. It didn't work, though. So I just added more to it and I'm hoping this one will work... It's in the first post now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Warstrong,

I have an old iMac Power PC G4 - 800Mhz/256mb/60gig system that I upgraded to Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Tiger). I figured out how to change the Info.plist file to add the Linksys WUSB54GC v1 wireless adapter and got it working. This was using the Ralink driver package version 1.2.4.0 dated 12/04/2008.

There is now a new version at the Ralink website put up on 10/30/2009 and is version 1.3.0.0. I have downloaded this new version and installed it on my system. Before I add the Linksys device info to Info.plist I can open the Ralink Wireless Utility and it says "No Device!!". Then I add the information for my linksys device to Info.plist and fix the ownership and permissions. This part I am pretty sure I know how to do. Then I reboot and log on. I then plug in my Linksys device and I get the message: "The application Ralink Wireless Utility quit unexpectedly." I click on report and this is some of what is written:

Command: WirelessUtility

Path: /Applications/Ralink Wireless Utility/WirelessUtility.app/Contents/MaxOS/WirelessUtility

Parent: WindowServer [61]

Version: 2.0.0.0 (2.0.0.0)

PID: 159

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BREAKPOINT (0x0006)

Code[0]: 0x00000001

Code[1]: 0x92c11490

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 com.apple.Foundation 0x92c11490 _NSRaiseError + 264

1 com.apple.Foundation 0x92cc2858 -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInFunction:file:lineNumber:description:] + 96

etc...

I have tried many times and I still get the same message. I have edited the Info.plist with vi, TextApp, and with TextWrangler. I still get the same error message. Do you have any ideas why this is happening?

Perplexed!

I've tried installing both the version 1 and version 2 & 3 kext's and when I installed both of them together, I got NO DEVICE, when installing just 2 & 3 I get NO DEVICE, and when installing just 1 it unexpectedly quits on me. I'm using 10.6.2 and the System Profile see's it in USB and this is the info it gives me:

Product ID: 0x0020

Vendor ID: 0x131b1

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

Location ID: 0xfa100000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300

• 3 weeks later...

easy.. tryin to get my linksys WUSB54GC to work on my mac... everythin looks fine...

the usb wireless utility says connected. (but still doesnt receive packets :/)

the system/network says connected (tried with DHCP, DHCP manual, manual...)

but no internet... really starts to pisses me off ;)

any ideas?? a few other had that problem but no solution were posted

Good news guys- I've finally gotten around to updating the drivers! Hopefully Snow Leopard issues have been resolved. I used the newest versions available from Ralink and added the new PID/VID from Ratz1, although I assumed he meant the familiar 13b1 and not the unknown 131b1.

hi, i'm running snow leopard 10.6.2, I tried with both the snow leopard packages, I tried doing the drag applications, library, and system to root, but it wouldn't let me, it just said “Applications” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X. so i then tried putting everything in their respective folders manually, and installed the kext with kext helper b7. restarted, but the ralink wireless utility still says no device. so thats my situation, any help would be wonderful! thanks

hi, i'm running snow leopard 10.6.2, I tried with both the snow leopard packages, I tried doing the drag applications, library, and system to root, but it wouldn't let me, it just said “Applications” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X. so i then tried putting everything in their respective folders manually, and installed the kext with kext helper b7. restarted, but the ralink wireless utility still says no device. so thats my situation, any help would be wonderful! thanks

Can you please go to the Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info -> USB (under Hardware), then choose the USB device that looks to be your adapter, and post the Product ID and Vendor ID? That would really help in finding out what's wrong, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Warstrong

my os is 10.6.1, I have install the v2 and v3 but can't get it to work but my wusb54gc has a light on it, it's never light up before. that's a little bit improve but WirelessUltility still say no device. I have tried write a -f but the same. I have try the version you give for Jake Up but this time the wusb54gc not light up! I'm nearly give up and may be try to buy another wireless usb, do you know which kind run out of the box Warstrong or at least can be recognize and run after patch.

product id : 0x0020

vendor id : 0x13b1

version: 0.01

seepd: up to 480 mb/sec

manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

location id:0xfd100000

current available (mA): 500

current required (mA): 300

Warstrong

my os is 10.6.1, I have install the v2 and v3 but can't get it to work but my wusb54gc has a light on it, it's never light up before. that's a little bit improve but WirelessUltility still say no device. I have tried write a -f but the same. I have try the version you give for Jake Up but this time the wusb54gc not light up! I'm nearly give up and may be try to buy another wireless usb, do you know which kind run out of the box Warstrong or at least can be recognize and run after patch.

product id : 0x0020

vendor id : 0x13b1

version: 0.01

seepd: up to 480 mb/sec

manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

location id:0xfd100000

current available (mA): 500

current required (mA): 300

Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with the drivers now... maybe Snow Leopard (10.6) just isn't compatible with them? Sorry, I think it's time to get a new adapter :( I don't know what to suggest though. The ones that are marketed to work with Macs out of the box are usually more expensive, unfortunately.

Warstrong I google and I find another way to get the wusb54gc work! You should add this method beside your method so you could help other people

Download the attachment from this link - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=6102

Put the attached kext in your /System/Library/Extensions folder and authorize it to copy over the old kext when the window pops up.

type the following in a terminal window:

sudo -s (enter your password)

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

cd /System/Library

rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extenions.kextcache

sudo diskutil repairPermissions / wait to 100% then

reboot

all credit go for Skyper, one of member of this forum