Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Should be ok then :)

Post is still there... #355...

I have a relatively plain system:

Asus P5N7A-VM mainboard, Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200, Kingston ValueRam Dual Channel 2 GB PC6400, 800 MHz 5 Kit Of 2, SATA hd and one PCI slot occupied with a supported Broadcom based WLAN card.

This is what I use for a clean install:

BIOS: v0407, set SATA to AHCI, USB 2.0 to FullSpeed

Boot loader: EFIv9 or Chameleon 2.0

ACPI fixes: dsdt.aml (post #355)

Decrypter in /Extra: AppleDecrypt.kext or dsmos.kext

Kexts in /Extra: LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext, LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext, LegacyAppleLPC.kext (post #355)

Kexts in /S/L/E: LegacyAppleHDAController.kext, LegacyAppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext, AppleHDA.kext (post #364)

That's all! No need for HDAEnabler, Disabler, NVKush or any of that.

I use a 10.5.6 retail DVD to install:

1. Restore the 10.5.6 retail dvd image to a partition <partition>.

2. Install the boot loader

3. Place dsdt.aml in root of partition or <partition>/Extra depending on boot loader

4. Place kexts in <partition>/Extra

5. Create kextcache: sudo kextcache -m <partition>/Extra/Extensions.mkext <partition>/Extra/Extensions/

6. Place kexts in <partition>/System/Library/Extensions

7. Make sure the kextcache rebuilts: sudo touch <partition>/System/Library/Extensions

8. Reboot, install and repeat for the installed version!

As DiaboliK my system is rock solid, no problems at all. Also work fine, booting without -f is you're done messing with the kexts.

Orange icons should be resolved by LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext as you can find anywhere on insanelymac. If they are still orange, it means it is not loading!

FrodoKenny, I have used this guide. And i have the board running like a charm now. I did have two problems i ran into. First of all the Kexts should be in /Extra/Extensions. Second i was unable to perform step 5. I get an error saying the kexts are not authentic and are skipped.

I did however end up with a fully functional system with CI/QE, so i am very happy :D

Stupid question guys....when I get my box back up and running (and I WILL!!), with the DSDT posted, does the network work out of box? This would work for me since I could move my Netgear GA311 into another box that needs it. Does Bonjour, etc work?

Up and RUNNING!

P5N7A-VM / E7400 / 4GB RAM

Here's my steps:

Initial Setup

-From working mac, installed iPC 10.5.6 (Base system only) on SATA drive using Universal Installer

-Installed OSX86 Essential kexts, Chameleon, Audio kexts per Ufdah's guide

-Copied DiabloK's dual-core DSDT (from 2/16) to drive root

-Delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from System/Library/Extensions/

Drive attached to P5N7A

-Boot in SAFE MODE

-Use Universal Installer to reinstall kexts: OSX86 Essentials AND Audio kexts

-Repair permissions in Disk Utility

-Boot normally

-Delete Disabler.kext to enable sleep

I sometimes get kernel panics on shutdown - seems to happen only if sleep has been used since power-cycle. Everything else is great!

My BIOS GPU memory setting is at 512MB - seems some have issues with this.

A BIG BIG thanks to:

DiabloK

Ufdah

Cave Man (you and I have almost exact setups)

anitanium

Everybody else who participated in this thread - great stuff.

You guys made this install a breeze.. this is the perfect board for a Mac HTPC.

Stupid question guys....when I get my box back up and running (and I WILL!!), with the DSDT posted, does the network work out of box? This would work for me since I could move my Netgear GA311 into another box that needs it. Does Bonjour, etc work?

Network is good to go straight away. Haven't thoroughly tested Bonjour, drive sharing, etc yet, but DHCP networking and iTunes sharing (is this Bonjour?) work perfectly.

me too .. except for the disabler.. with uuid kext i resolved the error 35 in boot.. but no problem on ethernet! and itunes uses the library of vista!!

but i never removed the appleintel cpu power management..

due to diabolik post

New Updated DSDT :

HPET Fixed, So you can have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed w/o a Disabler.

GPU Injection, No need to have NVKush (or any other gpu injector) installed.

All thanks go to Signal64 for all the help.

The 2 core version .aml : Attached File DSDT.aml.zip ( 16.44K ) Number of downloads: 202

then.. if or not I use voodoopower.. I can't comprehend why 2 weeks ago that system booted without disabler and now this get an error in hpet.

boh.. shall I replace applesmbios-27 to original one? (if yes.. what about the ram speed?)

Okay great news! I'm back up and running on my original install!! I used FrodoKenny's DSDT.aml and the kext's he posted, and sure enough, I'm GOOD! Thank you FrodoKenny!

- I finally have the option to "Restart Automatically After Power Failure" in the Energy Saver options!!! (I haven't had this on ANY hackintosh I've built and it's supposed to fix sleep issues)

- NIC is working! Gonna throw the GA311 in my other hack

- Videocard is recognized just as it was before.

- New install drive still doesn't work (I don't care as long as my old install is working)

- I do have the issue where if I shutdown, the fans and power stays on. Was there a resolution to that?

Now to put the machine back together.....wow, good times. Thank you all for your help!

solved last night

also wrote above .. I miss it uh

the only way (with or without openhaltrestart) is to sisable framebuffer at 512 and leave auto!!

finish

Hi there!

Since yesterday, I'm having issues with audio stuttering. It happens with every playback, and makes impossible to watch video or listen any music. I didn't change anyting at all, and it suddenly started to happen.

I checked on activity monitor, and my cpu usage it's only around 8-10%, and the temp's ar ok (40 deg both cores and 30-50 the HD's)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

succes its bin running for a month now

i used the guide provided in the 1st post

im running 10.5.6

used diabolics second dst file , sm bios resolver & nv kush and the kext files from frodo to get the sound working, i also used the universal installer and its standard kext files

oh and I used the 910->810 kext edit the sata controller ID se jested by protocollX

im also using voodoo kernel 9.5 and the voodoo power kext

its a media center in a verry small encloser so i need to keep it cool.

every thing works i want to thank you all.

well oke almoost everything works.

I have 2 minor things that dont work

about this mac works but if i want to see more the app crashes

no biggy i can live with that.

the Second is a realy strange one.

if i open a downloaded Plex.DMG and only plex , ive opened tons of other ones

the kernel panics :unsure:

so i tryed the orginal kernel same thing. so i pulled the plex app from my time machine back up

and it works great , i downloaded a new one same thing kernel panic. real strange but its some ting i can live with 2 :)

hello kandycane

the 1st issue you resolve in bios settings

in CPU.. SET CPUMAXID to disable

no more crashes in system profiler

the 2nd.. could you explain better??

I have 2 x Samsung F1 1TB, a Seagate 750GB and a WD 500GB eSATA drive attached.

Having problems waking from sleep. Restart works. Going into sleep works, and the fans stop. Just can't wake it up again. Tried the things mentioned through out this post (USB off in bios, removed disabler.kext, etc.).

I've managed to get it to hibernate/deep sleep, powered off and powered back on, then resumed from the sleep image, but thats it.

Driving me nuts...

Because the Western Digital drive I have that has no jumpers, works. The Samsung drive I have (which is old), has a jumper for 1.5/3.0 mode (and it's set in 3.0 mode) and does not work, constant reboots. The Samsung works in my other hack and is recognized by the Asus BIOS, just crashes Darwin

is there a way to comprehend what is the recipe to dismiss disabler and have intelcpupm working? I tried everythings.. now the only idea is to downgrade the bios.. to 404.. i put bios all as described in ufdah post. used the precise kext in precise way.. in the right place.

then.. i've the kp

may i have the info on the bios places that are not posted in the famous post??

thanks.. really

Having problems waking from sleep. Restart works. Going into sleep works, and the fans stop. Just can't wake it up again. Tried the things mentioned through out this post (USB off in bios, removed disabler.kext, etc.).

How about setting the vRAM to 256 mb in the BIOS?

FrodoKenny, I have used this guide. And i have the board running like a charm now. I did have two problems i ran into. First of all the Kexts should be in /Extra/Extensions. Second i was unable to perform step 5. I get an error saying the kexts are not authentic and are skipped.

I did however end up with a fully functional system with CI/QE, so i am very happy :shock:

It is almost impossible to zip kexts and unzip them with correct permissions. So you have to repair permissions for those kexts. Make them all owned by root:wheel: sudo chown -R root:wheel <kext>. And set permissions to 755: sudo chmod -R 755 <kext>. That should be enough, but officially only dirs and executables should be 755 and the rest 644.

Okay great news! I'm back up and running on my original install!! I used FrodoKenny's DSDT.aml and the kext's he posted, and sure enough, I'm GOOD! Thank you FrodoKenny!

You're welcome

is there a way to comprehend what is the recipe to dismiss disabler and have intelcpupm working? I tried everythings.. now the only idea is to downgrade the bios.. to 404.. i put bios all as described in ufdah post. used the precise kext in precise way.. in the right place.

then.. i've the kp

may i have the info on the bios places that are not posted in the famous post??

thanks.. really

For AppleIntelCPUPM to work, AppleHPET and AppleRTC must work. Works fine with bios 0407 after that for me. I explained what to do before, so I'll just copy that:

HPET does need modification. What needs to be fixed is method _STA that must return status 0x0F for AppleHPET to load. The DSDT has:

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (OSFL (), Zero))
					{
						If (LEqual (NVID, 0x10DE))
						{
							Return (0x0F)
						}
						Else
						{
							Return (Zero)
						}
					}
					Else
					{
						Return (Zero)
					}
				}

So we can change _STA to always return 0x0F or we can make sure it gets to the right if clause. The first if statements is a check for the OS, and it is true if the OS is Windows XP SP2 or Vista, so that one fails. The second checks for NVIDA and therefore succeeds. I choose to adapt the DSDT to always return the same as in the case of Vista. Do this by adding the following to method OSYS:

before:

If (_OSI ("Windows 2006")) {
		Store (0x15, Local0)
	}

after:

If (_OSI ("Windows 2006"))
	{
		Store (0x15, Local0)
	}

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
	{
		Store (0x15, Local0)
	}

No need for the RTC fix, it will always choose the CSR1 case.

After the CPU and HPET fix, you should be able to boot Leopard without the need for a disabler (IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext or Disabler.kext). My system initialises AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement fine, but I haven't checked if any power management is actually taking place.

So I chose to add the OSI Darwin option to fix HPET.

So I borrowed an 80GB Western Digital HDD, installed 10.5.6 via the guide on my MBP, hooked it up, and it works perfect. Dunno what the hell is wrong with that Samsung drive since that drive works in my other hack. I've since Carbon Copy Cloned that drive to my old install (250GB Western Digital Drive)

seatbelt!!!

use original 10.5.6 if you have 9.6 kernel.. or seatbelt 10.5.5 if obviously you've got 9.5 kernel!!

cross changes cause kp!

OK, got everything working using Ufdah's step by step but with a late 2008 Macbook install DVD, for which I give multiple thanks.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How has anyone gotten dual booting to work with XP? XP won't recognize the SATA ports when I have AHCI enabled. Should I put XP on an ATA disk?

2. Can anyone recommend a firewire card, preferably with the MB pins for the FW port lead on front of my case? I've found this one with the MB FW pins on it:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=3264905

If I'm stuck with a FW card with the external FW port on the inside, there's this solution: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=1457