Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

10.5.2 wont' work

you wont' be able to boot

try and find the ipc 10.5.6 install disk

that'll get you 10.5.6 installed right away

it worked for me

then i used a 10.5.6 retail disk image and installed onto the hard drive (directly from OSX)

10.5.2 wont' work

you wont' be able to boot

try and find the ipc 10.5.6 install disk

that'll get you 10.5.6 installed right away

it worked for me

then i used a 10.5.6 retail disk image and installed onto the hard drive (directly from OSX)

OK, thanks. Can you tell me if the 10.5.6 retail Installer DVD will work? If so, I'll pick up a copy today.

Thanks

I can tell you that I used the 10.5.4 retail. then I've upg with combo.

Yeah I did the same. I have an Original Retail 10.5.4 and updated wih the combo. But be careful not downloading the combo file linked in Ufdah's guide; that one is only from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 and it won't work with 10.5.4. You will need this one .

Cheers!

T.

Hopefully a quick question. Anyone have a recommendation so I can connect wirelessly - is a USB dongle my best bet and if so what are people using? Looking around it seems the WG111 may be a good option but wanted to check before buying one.

Thanks

Hopefully a quick question. Anyone have a recommendation so I can connect wirelessly - is a USB dongle my best bet and if so what are people using? Looking around it seems the WG111 may be a good option but wanted to check before buying one.

Thanks

LAN connectivity it's been proved, so your best option is getting a client bridge (most of AP can run in Client Bridge). If you have an old router at home, you could try setting that router in client bridge mode (if it supports it). I have an old linksys with dd-wrt firmware, and it's working flawlessly.

T.

Thanks

I had a Linksys WUSB-G working. You will need the RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext too. For some reason I had to unplug/re-plug to get it to work. There was a point that it worked perfectly, but as you might have read pages back, I sometime rush at things without documenting what I did. Not the best way to figure things out.

Oh, I seem to recall that you need a specific version of the WUSB too. I can't recall at the moment. Look around as this is a cheap dongle option that works, even if to just some degree.

hy diabolik

1 question

in the 1st post the link to dsdt point to one that hasn't gpu injection? is true?

so I tried to do experiences with dsdt (and the ssdt of anothertopic) but now restoring the one linked in the 1st topics 1st it say IGPU specify family matching fails.. and then it break into a kp saying that there is an error in CPUPM

my experience about override ov dsdt+ssdt was a disaster because I've a lot of acpi errors at boot.

then I come back to yours

thanks! wow

but.. uh oh. are you using Disabler?

before you wrote (and these recent days) I din't use disabler.. and I didn't have the problem of the cpupm until I've changed something! uff. I made a mess. And the very strangeness is that today the only way to start w/out having a freeze at boot or a kp is to boot with anvkernel 9.6 v1.4.. unbelivable!!! :o

I read again and again the entire topoc.. but I'm scared to downgrade to voodoo kernel or 9.5 kernel.. I prefer to use the last! OK:

now I clean the S/L/E and the E/E to regular osx setup.. and after I put Your good stuff.

and .. Shall I remove voodoousbehci/appledecrypter/openhaltrestart? and your HDA must be with your disabler into the E/E?

thanks! wow

but.. uh oh. are you using Disabler?

before you wrote (and these recent days) I din't use disabler.. and I didn't have the problem of the cpupm until I've changed something! uff. I made a mess. And the very strangeness is that today the only way to start w/out having a freeze at boot or a kp is to boot with anvkernel 9.6 v1.4.. unbelivable!!! :o

I read again and again the entire topoc.. but I'm scared to downgrade to voodoo kernel or 9.5 kernel.. I prefer to use the last! OK:

now I clean the S/L/E and the E/E to regular osx setup.. and after I put Your good stuff.

and .. Shall I remove voodoousbehci/appledecrypter/openhaltrestart? and your HDA must be with your disabler into the E/E?

disabler is only used for userupstreamclient.kext. no need for openhaltrestart. need appledecrypt only if you have vanilla kernel.

my applehda goes into s/l/e

-D-

Thanks Eastwind and Tharbat. Looked into this in more detail after posting the question and came up with the same idea as Tharbat as I have an older router that I'm sure I can connect with. Also found out about the homeplug system which looks like it would also be a good alternative.

Thanks again

Bummer. I'm having problems. I installed using a 10.5.6 retail Installer DVD according to Ufdah's post (except I skipped step 3 for the 10.5.6 Updater). I set my BIOS settings to match his in his screen shots. The computer starts to boot, but gets stuck on the grey screen with the darker gray Apple. Any suggestions would be great. I'm using a Q8200 quad core cpu if that matters. I have not installed any other files or kexts, other than those in Ufdah's post.

I'm using a SATA hard drive on port5. All other ports (SATA and IDE) are unused.

I also get some kind of Express Gate error when I first turn on the computer.

TIA

OK, rebooted in -v mode and it hangs. here are the last several lines

Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet

calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)

Copyright © blah, blah, blah

The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

And then it just sits there...

===========================================

Update

Score!

OK, got it installed by doing two things differently. First, I did the install from my MacBook Pro and not my other hackintosh. Second, I used a Leopard 10.5.1 retail Installer DVD. I used the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext from Ufdah's post, and the updated DSDT.aml from Diabolik's post (I assume this is for dual-core?). After boot I was presented with an alert from OS X that the AppleHDA.kext was improperly installed and cannot be used. Any solution to this? I also updated with NVKush and I have CI and QE working just fine. My Apple System Profiler doesn't read the machine, the cpu info is wrong, but it otherwise seems to be working.

I really need to get digital audio optical working as this is going to be my Plex home theater box.

Thanks to all for getting the details on this. It is very, very nice.

im running w/ these, its what i've listed HERE w/ an included modded applehda for digital out and the dsdt has gpu and audio injection.

USE THESE KEXTS + DSDT

-D-

Diabolik - Is the DSDT that you now have support a quad core cpu? I saw your other post with mention of this support, but I am uncertain what you mean by editing it to support four cores?

Thanks

Bummer. I'm having problems. I installed using a 10.5.6 retail Installer DVD according to Ufdah's post (except I skipped step 3 for the 10.5.6 Updater). I set my BIOS settings to match his in his screen shots. The computer starts to boot, but gets stuck on the grey screen with the darker gray Apple. Any suggestions would be great. I'm using a Q8200 quad core cpu if that matters. I have not installed any other files or kexts, other than those in Ufdah's post.

I'm using a SATA hard drive on port5. All other ports (SATA and IDE) are unused.

I also get some kind of Express Gate error when I first turn on the computer.

TIA

OK, rebooted in -v mode and it hangs. here are the last several lines

Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet

calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)

Copyright © blah, blah, blah

The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

And then it just sits there...

===========================================

Update

Score!

OK, got it installed by doing two things differently. First, I did the install from my MacBook Pro and not my other hackintosh. Second, I used a Leopard 10.5.1 retail Installer DVD. I used the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext from Ufdah's post, and the updated DSDT.aml from Diabolik's post (I assume this is for dual-core?). After boot I was presented with an alert from OS X that the AppleHDA.kext was improperly installed and cannot be used. Any solution to this? I also updated with NVKush and I have CI and QE working just fine. My Apple System Profiler doesn't read the machine, the cpu info is wrong, but it otherwise seems to be working.

I really need to get digital audio optical working as this is going to be my Plex home theater box.

Thanks to all for getting the details on this. It is very, very nice.

I saw the exact same hang as you. I've installed with the retail 10.5.6 DVD a few times but found I always need to boot into safe mode, then reinstall the kexts (Ufdah's step 4). Then repair permissions to fix HDA kext error. Boots fine with no flags.

Anitanium posted a modified version of the 2/16/09 DiaboliK DSDT for 4 cores here (post 295):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...416&st=280#

Digital audio optical works fine for me. Sleep, however, does not. I think I tried all the suggestions in this thread up until early March. Haven't had time to re-investigate (I'm just starting to read the more recent posts).

For Express Gate, there should be BIOS setting to turn it off.

Diabolik - Is the DSDT that you now have support a quad core cpu? I saw your other post with mention of this support, but I am uncertain what you mean by editing it to support four cores?

Thanks

that one in that link does not.

-D-

OK, something is not right. I rebooted and the computer stalled on the grey screen. I did another installation of the OS, updated to 10.5.6, everything the same as before. Put in the quad-core DSDT file onto root, installed nvkush and had QE and CI, repaired permissions, then tried to reboot, but again stalling on the grey screen. What gives? I'm not sure why it boots fine once, but not twice? I have tried both the SATA bus and IDE bus with successful boot, but only once. A reboot fails. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--------------

Update:

I just did a third install exactly the same with the SATA drive again, except I did not install nvkush. It booted fine, and did a verbose reboot and here are the last few lines:

Apr 18 22:32:49 HTPC sandbox-comilerd[17]: error durin gstep in read (SQL logic error or missing database), restarting cache

Apr 18 22:32:49 HTPC sandbox-comilerd[17]: Error finalizing statement during restart: database disk image is malformed (11)

Apr 18 22:32:50 HTPC /usr/sbin/ocspd[77]: starting

And it stalls.

OK, something is not right. I rebooted and the computer stalled on the grey screen. I did another installation of the OS, updated to 10.5.6, everything the same as before. Put in the quad-core DSDT file onto root, installed nvkush and had QE and CI, repaired permissions, then tried to reboot, but again stalling on the grey screen. What gives? I'm not sure why it boots fine once, but not twice? I have tried both the SATA bus and IDE bus with successful boot, but only once. A reboot fails. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--------------

Update:

I just did a third install exactly the same with the SATA drive again, except I did not install nvkush. It booted fine, and did a verbose reboot and here are the last few lines:

Apr 18 22:32:49 HTPC sandbox-comilerd[17]: error durin gstep in read (SQL logic error or missing database), restarting cache

Apr 18 22:32:49 HTPC sandbox-comilerd[17]: Error finalizing statement during restart: database disk image is malformed (11)

Apr 18 22:32:50 HTPC /usr/sbin/ocspd[77]: starting

And it stalls.

Did you boot into safe mode (-x) and reinstall the kexts? If you use the anitanium/DiaboliK quad core DSDT, then you don't need NVKush.

Well, I've tried everything to get sleep to work: downgraded BIOS to 0407; removed disabler.kext; disabled legacy USB; installed Voodoo kernel and SMBIOSresolver (with disabler.kext, boot -f); toggled through all the different power s1/s3 options in BIOS; and every combo of above. Sleep still doesn't work correctly. Voodoo seems to have some weirdness so I'm just going back to a clone of my vanilla install. Worked great except for sleep (which is quite problematic for an HTPC).

If anyone with a similar setup (particularly same CPU Yorkfield family) has sleep working, I'd appreciate any tips. I assume the root cause is my CPU and something not optimized in the DSDT. Thanks

Retail 10.5.6 DVD installation, 2/28/09 anitanium DSDT (based on 2/16 DiaboliK)

Setup: Antec NSK2480, Asus P5N7A-VM (0407/0504), Q9400, Scythe Mini Ninja, 4GB G.Skill DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15), iGPU only (empty PCI's), LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD GGC-H20L; Onkyo TX606, Samsung DLP

OK, I'm in business. Thanks for the help from those who got me through this, especially fcol313. Here's what I did:

My install is basically Ufdah's posting:

1. Used my Mac Mini to install from a retail 10.5.6 Installer DVD using Universal Installer onto a 750 gb Samsung SATA drive connected by USB2 (Universal Drive Adapter).

2. Use UI to install kexts, Chameleon, set default display (1920x1080), boot time to 5 sec, and install the two custom kexts for audio.

3. Copy over DiaboliK/anitanium's quad-core DSDT.aml, which does not require the nvkush install from Ufdah's post.

4. Delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

5. Shut down the Mac Mini (no cache update appeared) and put the drive into the Asus P5N7A-VM box.

6. Boot in safe mode.

7. Reinstall essential kexts and the two audio kexts from Ufdah's post using the Universal Installer, then did a Repair Permissions with Disk Utility.

8. Reboot, boot caches were built.

9. Set to never sleep the computer.

10. Seems to be stable with audio and Core Imaging and Quartz Extreme.

I'll be testing it with my home theater set up (Sanyo 1080p projector, Onkyo 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound system, all centered around Plex and Blu-ray rips) and see how it goes.

Thanks again to all that helped!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

(Old info from original post preserved here only for context of the help posts that follow it)

Did you boot into safe mode (-x) and reinstall the kexts? If you use the anitanium/DiaboliK quad core DSDT, then you don't need NVKush.

OK - thanks very much, you've got me in the right direction, but I'm not there yet. I can now reboot in safe mode only (well, once anyway), but it will not boot into "full" mode. I was able to reinstall the two kexts from Ufdah's post (followed by a Repair Permissions with Disk Utility), but I still get hung up unless I do a safe boot. Of course, this isn't good because I don't have CI and QE, both of which are necessary for Plex.

I do have quad core support, though.

I'm going to try another reboot. Wish me luck... :)

Any other suggestions?

===========================

Update 1. I have rebooted several times in safe mode, but cannot boot in normal mode - it hangs on the grey Apple screen. When I boot in verbose mode, the last three lines are:

HTPC ntpdate[71]: can't find host time.apple.com

HTPC ntpdate[71]: no services can be used, exiting

HTPC /usr/sbin/ocspd[81]: starting

Then it stalls. Could this be a network issue (hardware or software)? I'm going to disable the time acquisition from Apple in System Preferences Date and Time pane to see if that does anything.

My install is basically Ufdah's posting:

1. Used my Mac Minin to install from a retail 10.5.6 Installer DVD using Universal Installer

2. Use UI to install kexts, Chameleon, set default display, boot time to 5 sec, and install the two custom kexts for audio.

3. Copy over 4-core DSDT.aml

4. Delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

5. Shut down the Mac Mini (no cache update appeared) and put the drive into the Asus box

6. Boot in safe mode.

7. Reinstall the two audio kexts, then did a Repair Permissions with Disk Utility

8. Reboot

===========================

Update 2. The disabling of getting system time from Apple had no effect. It still hangs on starting ocspd. This seems to suggest a network issue of some kind? Of course, it could be that ocspd starts find and that the hang is on the next step (whatever that might be).

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

OK - thanks very much, you've got me in the right direction, but I'm not there yet. I can now reboot in safe mode only (well, once anyway), but it will not boot into "full" mode. I was able to reinstall the two kexts from Ufdah's post (followed by a Repair Permissions with Disk Utility), but I still get hung up unless I do a safe boot. Of course, this isn't good because I don't have CI and QE, both of which are necessary for Plex.

I do have quad core support, though.

I'm going to try another reboot. Wish me luck... :)

Any other suggestions?

In safe mode, you need to use UI to reinstall the essential kexts, too.

In safe mode, you need to use UI to reinstall the essential kexts, too.

Alright - that seems to have done the trick. Thanks very, very much! Next test will be its ability to do optical, then I'm set. Analog audio works, so I'm pretty sure I'm good to go. I'll edit my post above for those who might have similar problems.

damn

with yours I have the same errors.

the decision

bought a esata pen drive 32gb 1 month ago.. I repeat all the procedure from scratch.. in that pen

is very quickly!!

see you tomorrow

thanks

(ps can you soggest me a way to use itunes library created with a vista+itunes on another ntfs partition and attach it into itunes osx library?)

(ps can you soggest me a way to use itunes library created with a vista+itunes on another ntfs partition and attach it into itunes osx library?)

Follow that guide. It's ment to share it through the network, but it works with bootcamp.

You will probaby need macDrive and/or paragon NTFS to read and write no OS partitions

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...070424081346722

T.