Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I've made a Chameleon Boot CD for this board with all the extensions+boot.plist+dsdt.aml....I have not tried this yet, I didn't have a need for it since I already had OS X installed when I switched to this board. I'd love for people to see if they can do retail installs without having another mac/hack...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mwznzihzfnd/P5N7A-VM.iso

When the bootloader asks you for rescan, press ENTER.

Go to boot options (f8), Swap for retail disc, then press ESC to rescan drive. When the name of the DVD appears, press ENTER.

Hello everyone,

I just purchased this board for a HTPC build I'm doing. Thanks to everyone who has been working on this board, there a lot of good info here. Is it possible to run Apple Software Update safely using the method described here? I'd like to make this install as tinker-free as I can, since it will be more tucked away than my desktop hackintosh.

ehy man!!

I return with a request.. ok.. I've a head of stone!!

I've published my recent good progress with the other mcp79 .. hte zotac.

I return because I have only usb keyb/mouse.. but in the other mobo I have good usb hi speed.

then.. searching and searching.. I got the developer apple apsl code of last IOUSBFamily and in the main cpp projet of USBEHCI i found that!

--- snip ---

In regards to modifying apple usb for ehci handoff, it's already been done.

Original Thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28559

Updated with 10.5.6 flavors:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117029

Go down to the "DISCUSSION THREAD STARTS BELOW:" part of the original topic to see the basic mod done for handoff.

I personally don't mess with these at all and just turn off legacy usb. I prefer to keep things as vanilla as possible and that works. As suggested at one point you can also enable "High Speed" instead of "Full Speed" which in essence disables EHCI (USB 2.0) speeds as well (not my fav solution either).

What I would rather see is a kext that can load up, handle the handoff, then load appleusb (or just exits and let the apple usb load on it's own). DFE does something similar with his NullCPUPowerManagement where it can take priority over the power managment kext or let it load based on a boot flag. That would be more useful for other boards as well.

Ok I'll try tomorrow.

Andy Vandick also report that chameleon v2 in the docs has an important section that tell how managing those usb ownership with boot options.

then. . is so nice that there are so much possibilities

Can you specify your cloning procedure? I'm getting a new boot drive and want to just clone my old one if possible.

I've used both Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner with success. I've cloned from within the OSx86 machine and also by pulling the drive and using a Macbook. You may need to use Universal Installer to reinstall Chameleon (and set boot timeout and native resolution, if desired) onto the new drive. But you shouldn't need to reinstall any kexts.

Misc notes:

When I was testing out the various kexts, voodoo vs vanilla, etc, I made three partitions. The first partition was the one where I installed using the retail 10.5.6 DVD and the Ufdah instructions (with our modifications, of course, since the base instructions lead to the hang at the Apple logo screen). Once I got a working installation, I cloned to the second partition (third partition was for media, downloads, etc). I could then screw around with the 2nd partition. If I ever hosed it, then I could just clone the first partition onto the second from within the OSx86 machine. However, I couldn't clone from the 2nd partition to the 1st one within the OSx86 machine (b/c wiping out the first partition prevents boot up since the bootloader is also wiped out). I had to pull the drive, connect to another Mac, clone from partition2 to partition 1, use Uinstaller to fix the first partition, then put the drive back into the OSx86 machine). Sorry for long-winded answer. Just wanted to make sure other beginners didn't run into the same problems that I did.

I've used both Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner with success. I've cloned from within the OSx86 machine and also by pulling the drive and using a Macbook. You may need to use Universal Installer to reinstall Chameleon (and set boot timeout and native resolution, if desired) onto the new drive. But you shouldn't need to reinstall any kexts.

OK, thanks much. So this should work:

1. Use CCC to clone the original drive to the new drive.

2. Run Universal Installer to set the system parameters, but none of the kexts.

3. Boot from the drive and all should be good.

Sound right?

Sound right?

Yup

I confirm that thanks to chameleon option

EHCIacquire=Yes

I boot with legacy, usb hi speed and have all usb funcions and drive. It's a very good progress.

Now the only Important thing and goal..I think .. is to have the sound working good!!

Hy Diabolik. I'm here to do the point.

this week I tried to repeat for the 'n' time the setup from scratch. this time I ì'd like if it's the last :(

I've collected 3 kind of dsdt.. without them the system wo'nt start. . they are absolutely needed to boot fine.

the 1st is your.. the other are posted after your.. anitanium and don't remember.

in my bios i left all as described in the post with the photos of bios settings.. but usb is in hi-speed.. and with the boot.plist parameter (chameleon option) EHCIacquire=Yes I have USB drive on finder and no problem mounting and dismounting..

other change is the MAXCPUID=Disabled because mcp79a cause a crash on system profiler if it's enabled.. in many posts of invidia forum people suggest to disable.. and my system profiler now is working fine.

I've respected the filosophy to put the hand as minimum as possible to S/L/E.. and I left in E/E as much mod as poss.

in E/E they are: Appledecrypter, legacylpc, legacyappleahciport, legacyioahciblockstorage, openhaltrestart, disabler

and in s/l/e they are: applehda, legacyapplehdacontroller, legacyapplehdaplatformdriver, voodoopower

ok. the situation is that with all of 3 dsdt I can't boot without a disabler or without removing the applecpupowermanagement

only with the anv kernel 9.6 (1.4) i boot fine.. it's a joke because 3 weeks ago (in my post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1133504 of this topic) I had other problem but not that.. so what's changed? bah

I don't want to go backward.. then I can leave disabler in that folder.. and voodoopower tell me that cpu is working balanced..

but :to use without disabler I must remove voodoopower?

other question.. with or without the legacyLPC in E/E I have a boot verbose without errors about LPC.. is it really needed?

in the end.. my system won't stop.. I mean.. if I sto it go in sleep mode.. but I don't know how to resume.. If I press a key or the power button.. I have no response from the system.. so how do you?

and the shutdown is not working.. the system shutdown fine but the system fan is runnig quickly!

I think there are other little issues.. but those are important. I'm asking to the members who have the same problem as me.. and how they've been fixed.

ps. i tried to build voodoohda.. but the sound is bad.. is early to use it with that motherboard.

bye

Sound right?

Well, this did not work. In fact, a complete install did not work. I did everything the same for my 750 gb drive that does work with a new 1.5 TB Seagate drive and even used the same SATA port. With both methods I get three lines on boot, something about HFS+ on one of them. I didn't even see the 5 second countdown. So I put the 750 gb drive back in and it boots just fine. Might there be a problem with 1.5 TB drives? The drive itself tests out fine.

Well, this did not work. In fact, a complete install did not work. I did everything the same for my 750 gb drive that does work with a new 1.5 TB Seagate drive and even used the same SATA port. With both methods I get three lines on boot, something about HFS+ on one of them. I didn't even see the 5 second countdown. So I put the 750 gb drive back in and it boots just fine. Might there be a problem with 1.5 TB drives? The drive itself tests out fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "both methods" (Super Duper and CCC? Two different options within CCC?). In any case, did you also install PC_EFI Chameleon using UInstaller? Without that, settings won't do you any good (and hence lead to HFS+ error, I think). That's my first guess. Next guess is formatting of the new drive (needs to be Extended/Journaled, GUID). Last guess would be to update the firmware on the Seagate 1.5TB (I have zero experience here - I just remember reading about issues with those drives a few months ago).

Ugggh, I had it working perfect till I decided to update my BIOS to 0512. I can't boot my former install (dunno if this is BIOS related tho, lots of weird "Can't start startup item" errors) and I can't install from DVD or by the method posted here.

DVD - Well tried booting with a Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot disc to retail disc (req'd kext's/dsdt.aml on it). It gets past the first part and when it goes to the next part, the PC reboots automatically. I have zero idea why it's doing this!! There's no warning in verbose mode, it goes through the .mkext motions (tried -f, etc.) then just reboots when it hits the next part.

The same thing happens on a new drive that I installed Leopard on from my OS X (as per the tutorial). BTW, I have AHCI enabled and all the same settings I previously had. Tried resetting the CMOS and for some reason, it would not reset.

I'm so dejected :rolleyes:

Ugggh, I had it working perfect till I decided to update my BIOS to 0512. I can't boot my former install (dunno if this is BIOS related tho, lots of weird "Can't start startup item" errors) and I can't install from DVD or by the method posted here.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Did you try reverting the BIOS to whatever version you were using previously (0404?)? EZFlash (or whatever it's called to load firmware from a flash drive) works really well to upgrade or downgrade. I've been running 0407 (maybe 0404; I'm not at home) with good results. And if you did try reverting BIOS and you still can't boot with your old, good installation, then that's pretty scary. I'd be sure to avoid all BIOS updates unless there's something I absolutely needed.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Did you try reverting the BIOS to whatever version you were using previously (0404?)? EZFlash (or whatever it's called to load firmware from a flash drive) works really well to upgrade or downgrade. I've been running 0407 (maybe 0404; I'm not at home) with good results. And if you did try reverting BIOS and you still can't boot with your old, good installation, then that's pretty scary. I'd be sure to avoid all BIOS updates unless there's something I absolutely needed.

Great point, I did not try to revert. I'm going to download that BIOS now and try it. I'll report back. Thanks!

So no go on downgrading....let me explain the chain of events

- I installed SimplifyMedia (didn't reboot - this could be a problem, don't know)

- I updated the BIOS to 0512

- I was then unable to boot

- It hangs at "boot-cache avoidance" along with a bunch of other errors (I can take a picture)

- Installed Mac OS X from my MacBook Pro onto another hard drive and attempted to boot with my Chameleon 2.0 RC1 USB key (the same one I've been using for 2 weeks successfully with this mobo) and after it goes through the first part of the Verbose boot (mkext stuff), it immediately reboots before ANY Darwin text comes up.

- Downgraded the BIOS 0404

- Same exact reboot

- Tried installing a fresh install via a Chameleon Boot CD (has the DSDT.aml, and extensions - DSMOS.kext, Disabler.kext, IntelCPUMDisabler.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext))

- Machine reboots at the same Darwin boot process.

- Tried installing a fresh install via a Boot 132 CD (with req'd kexts - SMBIOSResolver.kext, DSMOS.kext, Disabler.kext, IntelCPUMDisabler.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext)

- Machine reboots at the same Darwin boot process.

BIOS settings are as per guide....I am really at a loss for what could be wrong. I had this working, that's what pisses me off the most.

BTW, the only thing I haven't tried is booting in safe mode. I've tried with -F to no avail. Also have taken out my firewire card, network card and reset the CMOS. Nothing has changed the problem. Maybe I need to RMA this board? I hope someone here can help me with this reboot issue....thanks guys for all of your help

So no go on downgrading....let me explain the chain of events ...

First off, try booting into safe mode. Also try going into BIOS and resetting to factory defaults (maybe there's some weird carryover from 0512 that's not getting reset after downgrading). Then adjust the BIOS settings to match the tutorial (although I haven't been able to get it to sleep if I set iGPU frame buffer to 512MB).

I also didn't see you try installing simply per the guide. It's not clear to me if you've ever had a successful install using your Chameleon boot CD (and I'm not aware of any good installs using Boot-132).

RE bad mobo (unlikely??): Do you have a Windows CD or Linux CD that you can boot from (no install - just test to see if the mobo boots).

woa!

(although I haven't been able to get it to sleep if I set iGPU frame buffer to 512MB).

is that interesting.

so exactly you mean that increase framebuffer memory will affect sleep?

I did try installing as per the guide. I installed OS X via a SATA to USB adapter on another hard drive using my MacBook Pro. No go, it just reboots. Also, even after I downgraded from 0512, I reset the CMOS. I'm going to try Vista/Ubuntu tonight and report back.

I'm not sure what you mean by "both methods" (Super Duper and CCC? Two different options within CCC?).

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I did (1) CCC then used UI to put Chameleon onto the drive. (2) A fresh install using Ufdah's method. Both gave the same error.

In any case, did you also install PC_EFI Chameleon using UInstaller? Without that, settings won't do you any good (and hence lead to HFS+ error, I think). That's my first guess.

Yes, I did that.

Next guess is formatting of the new drive (needs to be Extended/Journaled, GUID).

Yes, did that, too.

Last guess would be to update the firmware on the Seagate 1.5TB (I have zero experience here - I just remember reading about issues with those drives a few months ago).

That firmware issue was resolved several months ago and this drive does not come from that production run, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that. I have initialized it and can read/write to the drive by FW or USB so I think it's in good shape.

I'm loading up on work this week so I probably won't be able to get back to it for a couple of weeks, but if you think of anything else I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.