Secret Info Collected, Or Video Problem?

16 posts in this topic

The jist. I'm seeing coded patterns in my screenshots. A solid block of color, zoomed in and I can see a repeating pattern. Someone else tell me if they're seeing this.

Open an image editor, I'm using Teal.

Create a.. say, 500x500 image, fill with cyan, select the center 250x250, crop. save image.

Now take a screen shot of just that window (command+control+shift+4 then space to screenshot just one window, then click the color image) Create a new image from that paste. Again, select the center 250x250, crop, save.

Compare the two, they're different!

I then did the same thing on a friend's powerbook. He gets no noticable "patterns" when the same procedure is followed.

Are we seeing a pattern from the screenshot because Apple has screenshots embeded with some kind of data or just because we dont have official drivers?

Try it, post if you see it or not and what you are using to get video support so I can see if it's throughtout the OS, or just the generic video drivers.

Attached. Left is straight save from Teal, Right is screenshot.

post-1137-1125280719.png

mmm... are you expecting us to see anything in that thumbnail?

When I save that on my PC and zoom in, I can see a great different in the direct save, versus the screenshot. If other people are having it, it could be that the screenshots are bad from poor video support, if screenshots depend on video cards, or that apple has laced the screenshots from the Dev OS with some kind of identifying information.

When I save that on my PC and zoom in, I can see a great different in the direct save, versus the screenshot.  If other people are having it, it could be that the screenshots are bad from poor video support, if screenshots depend on video cards, or that apple has laced the screenshots from the Dev OS with some kind of identifying information.

I highly doubt the latter. I have this and have seen it around as well. Could be the video drivers, color scheme, I'm not real sure.

Screenshots floating around of the PPC beta of Tiger had the same pattern. I think I recall the Panther beta having the same type of pattern too. I am guessing it is your IP address encoded into the image. Makes it easy to track people breaking their NDA.

Explain why non beta releases do not have the pattern overlay on screenshots? If you think its a "driver" issues, well, you just keep thinking that...

It may not be an IP address, but it could be any number of identifiable pieces of information.

Fact is, betas seem to have grainy screenshots, and release versions do not.

Explain why non beta releases do not have the pattern overlay on screenshots? If you think its a "driver" issues, well, you just keep thinking that...

It may not be an IP address, but it could be any number of identifiable pieces of information.

Fact is, betas seem to have grainy screenshots, and release versions do not.

Try running the image in vmware and take a screenshot, and see if its there.

More Info »

Thread from March 2005: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=2...ise#post2455899

PPC Screenshot: http://img191.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img191&ima...ailtypes5vq.jpg

@joelogic

I don't have the means to test this. My guess is it will also have grain in the screenshots.

I propose everyone take a screenshot of the login screen, or something similarly consistent. My theory is every screenshot will have a different grain pattern, but multiple screenshots from the same person will have a consistent pattern.

More Info »

Thread from March 2005: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=2...ise#post2455899

PPC Screenshot: http://img191.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img191&ima...ailtypes5vq.jpg

@joelogic

I don't have the means to test this. My guess is it will also have grain in the screenshots.

I propose everyone take a screenshot of the login screen, or something similarly consistent. My theory is every screenshot will have a different grain pattern, but multiple screenshots from the same person will have a consistent pattern.

LOL will someone load this up in vmware and test the screenshot in XP so we can bury this?

• 5 months later...