MacDrive 6 and partitions

ZildjianKX

13 posts in this topic

If you have one hard drive that is partitioned into NTFS and HFS+, can MacDrive see the HFS+ partition when running windows from the NTFS partition on the same drive?

The reason I ask is this is my setup and I can't seem to get it to see the HFS+ partition, yet it sees external HFS+ drives fine. Anyone have any suggestions, or is it not suppose to?

I thought I heard about people using MacDrive 6 on MacBooks using Boot Camp.

From the Apple Boot Camp install directions

Select either NTFS or FAT:

NTFS--Provides better reliability and security.

Note: If you format the partition using the NTFS file system, you will not be able to write or save files to the Windows volume from Mac OS X.

FAT--Provides better compatibility.

Allows you to read and write files on the Windows partition you created from Mac OS X. This option is available only if the Windows partition you created in Step 2 is 32 GB or smaller.

Don't know if this helps any?

It doesn't seem to say that you can see the files on the Mac either way. Not sure if the way it is set up affects the way MacDrive works or not but maybe they will have an update to give the ability to read and write from either OS? I have never used MacDrive and am not sure if any of this is useful but figured I would post anyways.

If you're using Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% that's the problem. Specifically the problem seems to be that the sptd.sys driver is incompatible with macdrive. If you're using daemon347 you can just delete the sptd.sys file and both will work. If you're using daemon tools 4 or alcohol you need to uninstall them and delete the sptd.sys file because they require the file to work. Check out the following links:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t6992-how-...n-tools-v4.html

and

http://www2.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t6828-my-...th-sptdsys.html

This second link is useful even if you're using alcohol 120%.

Funny, because I can see mine, and I'm playing music off it right now through iTunes on my XP partition.

funny coz I cant see it :thumbsdown_anim: and I dont see sptd.sys file either in system32/drivers and search didnt find it either.

Could it be because my drive doesnt have a letter? I cant even assign it one (the mac drive 10GB AF partition)

Edit: I updated my MacDrive to 6.1 and it appeared in My computer :) as F: drive

I just started using boot camp today and I'm really impressed. This Mac Book Pro 2.0ghz may be the fastest windows machine in my office. I've got mac drive 6 and it does recognize the partition on the mac. Thing you need to look out for is to make sure the drive letter XP assigns to you mac partition is not in conflict with some other drive on your machine (or your network). It its ultimate wisdom, Windoze will just make the drives invisible if this happens. Right click on My Computer and go to "manage" there is a disk manager program in there that lets you change the drive letter of your mac partition. Change it to something that is unused and your mac drive should show up right away. Worked for me.

If you're using Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% that's the problem. Specifically the problem seems to be that the sptd.sys driver is incompatible with macdrive. If you're using daemon347 you can just delete the sptd.sys file and both will work. If you're using daemon tools 4 or alcohol you need to uninstall them and delete the sptd.sys file because they require the file to work. Check out the following links:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t6992-how-...n-tools-v4.html

and

http://www2.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t6828-my-...th-sptdsys.html

This second link is useful even if you're using alcohol 120%.

This post fixed my problem perfectly.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It's great being able to access my HFS+ partition finally... especially since I don't have ethernet drivers in OS X and it takes forever to transfer files via wifi, so now I can boot windows and transfer large files on the OS X partition.

I talked to someone at Media Four (makers of MacDrive) last week about this.

If a single drive is patitioned NTFS & HFS+ MacDrive can only see the HFS+ partition in a "boot camp" environment.

On my Dell I have a 100GB drive that is 50% NTFS & 50% HFS+. I also have a 2nd drive that is 40GB that is HFS+

MacDrive (v6.080) cannot see the HFS+ partition that is on the same HDD as the NTFS partition. However it can see the HFS+ partition on the 2nd drive and works beautifully. I even installed an FTP server for XP and the root directory is on the HFS+ partition, and there are no problems.

The person from Media Four assured me that in a Boot Camp environment that MacDrive *does* see the HFS+ partition that is on the same drive.

I explained that I was running the hacked OSX on a desktop in order to learn the OS before I get a MacBook Pro and downloaded the demo of MacDrive. I was concerned because a MacBook only has 1 HDD, and I needed to be able to see the HFS+ partition. She assured me that on a MacBook Pro running Boot Camp that I would be able to, but cannot in my current setup.

Also, like 2 days after we traded emails, MediFour released MacDrive 6.1 and there was some mention in the release about some enhancements for Boot Camp users or something.

So, *maybe* 6.080 can't see the 2nd partition in my setup and 6.1 will be able to, or maybe it's the same deal, I don't know. But in any case, there you have it.

Brain21

• 2 weeks later...
This post fixed my problem perfectly.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It's great being able to access my HFS+ partition finally... especially since I don't have ethernet drivers in OS X and it takes forever to transfer files via wifi, so now I can boot windows and transfer large files on the OS X partition.

Brain, according to his post - it sounds that zildjian is running a hacked version of Mac OS X for intel. And his is working. I can't confirm if this will actually work - im still cleaning up my computer (unfortunately i have both daemon tools and alcohol 120%...)

is there a freeware alternative to mac drive by any chance?

There is no freeware that i know of. I do know that there is software you can buy, which i think is actually made by the same company as macdrive. My suggestion is that bay of pirates everyone is talking about...

If you want to buy it, Macdrive is a formidable product. I would suggest the purchase of it if it will work on your system without problems.

Update: cleaned out daemon tools and alcohol 120%, rebooted, and voila!!!

Macdrive shows me my macintosh partition!!! It even labels it a drive letter already. Simply amazing. This resolves one of my last qualms about Mac. Now, I am going to format to FAT32 so that I may access files freely on both partitions. I recommend fat32 to those who have word files, etc that they want to access. simply brilliant.