30" LCD Displays

12 posts in this topic

So, after browsing various sites for a good 30" value, mainly ebay, i've came across some interesting deals that however only ship to US (im from Europe).

The 30" HP3065 is pretty much the best deal according to geizhals.at (price hunter/comparison dedicated site) going for around €1100 (~ $1526 US).

The HP has some good reviews from various hardware testing sites and is considered "best buy" in the class.

Anyway, on ebay there were also some korean OEM display makers with cheap offers ($550US) but i woudln't know wheter they are scam artists or not.

Anyone has any experience dealing with korean/chinese sellers of displays? If you can recommend a good deal (= not a scam) please post some info here and share your experince with the far east traders.

For now 22" DELL 2005FPW is what i am stuck with.

So, after browsing various sites for a good 30" value, mainly ebay, i've came across some interesting deals that however only ship to US (im from Europe).

The 30" HP3065 is pretty much the best deal according to geizhals.at (price hunter/comparison dedicated site) going for around €1100 (~ $1526 US).

The HP has some good reviews from various hardware testing sites and is considered "best buy" in the class.

Anyway, on ebay there were also some korean OEM display makers with cheap offers ($550US) but i woudln't know wheter they are scam artists or not.

Anyone has any experience dealing with korean/chinese sellers of displays? If you can recommend a good deal (= not a scam) please post some info here and share your experince with the far east traders.

For now 22" DELL 2005FPW is what i am stuck with.

You should really take a look at http://www.prad.de

The right choice of monitor heavily depends on what you're planing to use it for.

PRAD offers comprehensive testing and different buyers guides for gaming, entertainment, office work and design.

The real problem with the large amount of review-sites is that most of them test only some devices - and comparing reviews of different sites dowsn't work well. Especially not when the site's sponsor is an electronic discounter ;-)

--

sheep

You should really take a look at http://www.prad.de

The right choice of monitor heavily depends on what you're planing to use it for.

PRAD offers comprehensive testing and different buyers guides for gaming, entertainment, office work and design.

The real problem with the large amount of review-sites is that most of them test only some devices - and comparing reviews of different sites dowsn't work well. Especially not when the site's sponsor is an electronic discounter ;-)

--

sheep

Wow, prad.de really is comprehensive guide for displays, bajilion manufacturers and models.

Thanks!

As for review sites, they are more like guidelines anyway. I read the tests, conclusions, then another test at some other site, then combine it with newegg customer ratings/evaluations and in the end i think that sums up to a pretty neutral and objective picture of what the item is worth.

I think the other part of the 30" discussion should a be consideration of going with dual 24" panels instead of a single 30". I have been running dual panels for years because you can always get two smaller panels much less than a larger and together you will get more pixels too. The basic economics strongly favors dual panels.

However, my brother has been running a single 24" Dell panel and using it is really a nice experience, so I am starting to think about that instead. I would add here that 30" panels are still overpriced, the "sweet spot" appears to be at 24". Don't blow money now either, the economic problems have just begun. I have been looking at this 24" Samsung T240HD at NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001280

Samsung T240HD doubles as an HDTV monitor, an important feature for long term use or resale, but I believe the price at NewEgg is a little high the moment. I believe that prices will drop significantly in January and that these Samsung T240HD were on sale at NewEgg a few weeks ago too. While ended up sending two Dell 20" panels back for LCD problems (and these supposed to the same high quality LCD panes that Apple used), I have been very happy with my five Samsung Panels despite some relatively minor issues that Samsung fixed.

Wow, prad.de really is comprehensive guide for displays, bajilion manufacturers and models.

Thanks!

Yes, http://prad.de looks like I great site, I am bookmarking it for future study.

Thanks, Sheeplover...

samusng 305t ftw

That looks good too Kiko.

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 305T Black 30"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001098

But of course note that you can almost buy three 24" panels for that price of $999, which looks like a fair price, but I suspect you could do a lot better by waiting a few weeks and shopping around. Expect another wave of US financial collapse to begin as soon as the bad holiday retail sales numbers hit the press in January. Retailers will be desperate to unload excess inventory.

im actually considering to downgrade and use multiple 24's myself. 30 is just too big

I am not surprised, I have yet to use a 24" intensively but my first impression is that one is enough workspace for me.

The other thing that I think needs to be considered here is Spaces. I am using it constantly and programed a mouse button to active it. Spaces changes the way monitor space can be organized at a fundamental level and I am becoming less interested in dual panels (and more interested in a single 24").

Nothing else even comes close

Close to what???

No offense, but everyone has its own demands to a display and everyone sees through his own eyes.

I.e. the most important specs to me are the color space and if the monitor calibrates well and if it works within the UGRA-specs. Second is the resolution and the size. It is of absolutely no importance to me which frame rates can be displayed without smear because I can't work so fast that this happens ;-) At least not yet ...

For someone who plays games or wants to watch video, the specifications should be different. If a gamer would sit in front of my screens that are calibrated for prepress work he might not like it at all - he would feel like everything seems to light, to warm and a bit yellow. For me, this calibration shows me 95% of the color I get when my work comes out of the press. So, perfect for me - {censored} for someone else.

And if it is to big, to small or just right depends on the work you do, on the workspace you own (distance to the screen) and your very personal affectations.

You tell me what you like to do with your screen then I can recommend you some models - but absolutely never will there be a screen that rocks them all.

Therefore I recommended prad.de/prad.com - it is the only source I found so far that tests a large range of display under the same conditions. And they proofed right for me - the Samsung 226BW with the S-Panel calibrates very well and is the hell of a deal for it's $250. But for gamers ... I don't know if I would recommend it ;-)

im actually considering to downgrade and use multiple 24's myself. 30 is just too big

I used to work with a 30" cinema-display for 2 years and now I sit in front of 2x 22". For me these seem ridiculous small. I liked the 30" although it was a bit to tall. For me, a 28" with the resolution of the 30" would be exakt the right size. Right now I'm highly interessted in a NEC LCD2690WUXi although the resolution is to low. Maybe the new year brings us some new screens :(