10.5.6: NO DSDT Required!

~pcwiz

40 posts in this topic

Working great now, without dsdt but with powermanagement disabler cause voodoo can't stop the new one.

Yup, my system respond more faster without DSDT, everything I have is from 10.5.6 combo, the only thing I changed was the AppleHDA.kext :)

I've read on leo4all.com that it's not needed ig you are using voodoo kernel, and the cases that do require it are those who are using Intel GMA900 GPU.

http://leo4all.com/2008/12/17/dsdt-is-it-needed-for-1056/

GMA900 does not require the use of DSDT when running 10.5.6 and nobody with GMA900 has ever had any issues without DSDT.

bhast2 at leo4all knows nothing.

I updated my system w/o DSDT patch, but I got a KP. After replaced older appleRTC.kext from 10.5.5, now it's working.

...means that DSDT patching is usefull for some hardware ...

(did you try a clean install, just to know if there were no other reason, cause Netkas sais somewhere that restoring RTC .kext wouln't run ?)

thank

fred

Well, i own a Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C with iAtkos 5i plain vanila. My main problem was making my Gigabyte 9600GT to work which i did. I decided to upgrade to 10.5.6 and did it without any change, actually i deleted DSDT too and nothing happened. Everything works well except for a shutdown and restart problem which was in 10.5.5 too so its not the reason for this.

I was thinking of installing any of the patched ACPI kexts so maybe reboot and shutdown might work again... what do you think about?

I deleted DSDT, using Vanilla Kernel from the 10.5.6 combo update and PC-EFI 9 and works pretty good here!!! in fact, after I deleted DSDT, the system respond more quickly in shutdown and restarting.

See configuration in signature, vanilla kernel, chameleon DFE plus efi V8; upgraded to 10.5.6 ok without DSDT.

After the upgrade there are some small problems but solvable one is insoluble: Firewire is missing.

The solution to detect it again is: new chameleon plus efi v9 + DSDT patch.

DSDT is not necessary for the update to 10.5.6, but without the firewire is missing.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas & Happy new year to all

See configuration in signature, vanilla kernel, chameleon DFE plus efi V8; upgraded to 10.5.6 ok without DSDT.

After the upgrade there are some small problems but solvable one is insoluble: Firewire is missing.

The solution to detect it again is: new chameleon plus efi v9 + DSDT patch.

DSDT is not necessary for the update to 10.5.6, but without the firewire is missing.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas & Happy new year to all

I can see the firewire in System Profiler without DSTS (specs in signature). Does this mean that it works or it's just a joke of my System Profiler?

Merry Christmas to all :(!

OSX won't boot if I pull out DSDT.aml - after displaying the bootloader countdown it runs until the mac framework message, then it just sits there, there's no kernel panic or anything. Even single user mode doesn't work.

But I can still boot in XP and put it back using MacDrive.

I ran DSDTPatcher before upgrading to 10.5.6.

Catch 22:

If you run DSDTPatcher with DSDT.aml already present in the root folder (for example after a BIOS upgrade or to add something) DSDT.aml will be loaded in memory, and you're patching the one that's already patched!

A lot of exciting things are happening in this field and sooner or later you will want to patch your DSDT again.

Here's how to patch it again under OSX:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry952524

....but first you need an unmodified DSDT.dsl.

Here's how to extract and decompile DSDT.aml (to get DSDT.dsl - the file you need to patch) from an AMI motherboard BIOS file - in Windows:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=804822

Here's a new DSDT patching swiss army knife type tool that runs under Windows and requires .NET 3.5.

It's more compatible with Award BIOS:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=142434

My mobo has AMI BIOS and so far I haven't been able to get this tool to extract the DSDT from my BIOS file or patch the one I've extracted manually.

/edit - as of version 0.2 beta the above patcher works with AMI BIOS as well. I've used it to extract and patch my DSDT and it works.

Its official: no DSDT patch required for 10.5.6 :) Just update like you normally would and its usually good

I have no idea if I need the DSDT patch, but the normal update does not work for me. Each time, it has hosed my system :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=143976&hl=

So folks, disregard this fellow's sunny outlook on this. It may work, but it does not for some people. And when it does not, it means a painful rebuild lasting hours. Now if I could only make hibernate work on this laptop, I would not want this upgrade.