iATKOS 10.5.5 (Safe to update?)

trancefreak

40 posts in this topic

all these updates that you see in your software updates are safe to install, however when is about to upgrade from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 make sure you do it with backups and with current guides that is in the forum. Even if it safe, is not 100% guarantee that will work updating from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 thought software update.

yep!!!

I've done it here with iAtkos 5i - no problems.

Cheers

AP

You updated from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 with iatkos v 5i? I updated to the other updates, but from .5 to .6 .. I don't know if it's ok.

Anyway, I don't have 10.5.6 update in software update, do you?

I updated from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 successfully :( This on a iatkos 10.5.5 distrib

Did you just update as you do with a Mac!?

I´ve got iatkos 10.5.5 on my AcerAspireOne - working best! But I would like to know for sure that there is not a problem with 10.5.6 - because my grandfather told me: "Boy, never change a running system"!

Thx TommyLeeJones

Did you just update as you do with a Mac!?

Yep ;)

I've tried already but havent had time to figure out why... I did update to 10.5.6 and it works but I lost all of my USB devices - all doesnt work. Anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers

AP

Hm, I don't know. My usb devices worked after the update (gigabyte p35-ds3 MB). I didn't had problems with this, and I dunno how you could fix that.. maybe old kext for usb? :-/

Yep :wacko:

Hm, I don't know. My usb devices worked after the update (gigabyte p35-ds3 MB). I didn't had problems with this, and I dunno how you could fix that.. maybe old kext for usb? :-/

Yeh.. its ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 - I'll try again later.

Cheers

APhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=125&t=140322&qpid=1007616#

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrading iAtkos i5 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 went successfully trough system update, but lost all usb too (strange thing is that both keyboard and mice are usb, and both work fine, but when a pen-drive or something is attached none of them work (fine at 10.5.5))

Any clues on updating with USB support to 10.5.6 using iatkos 10.5.5?

Also have tried to replace updated system.kext with the 10.5.5 version in library/temp and that caused a 'push power button' crash.

Any help? Thanks!!

Upgrading iAtkos i5 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 went successfully trough system update, but lost all usb too (strange thing is that both keyboard and mice are usb, and both work fine, but when a pen-drive or something is attached none of them work (fine at 10.5.5))

Any clues on updating with USB support to 10.5.6 using iatkos 10.5.5?

Also have tried to replace updated system.kext with the 10.5.5 version in library/temp and that caused a 'push power button' crash.

Any help? Thanks!!

I have same problem here.. havent researched yet..

Cheers

AP

Gentlemen, I believe this is what you're looking for:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029

Slice's IOPCIFamily.kext caused a kernel panic on my hack. Be sure to keep a backup of your existing one before trying out his.

Also make sure that kernel and system.kext versions match. You can see version info in System Profiler.

Thanks Beerkex'd, but i have figured out how to make it here.

First time ive installed vodoo kernel and then replacing 10.5.6 system.kext with the system 9.5.kext got me a `press power button` screen with no restore at all.

Second time ive managed to install with the vanilla kernel (no kernel selected) and removepowermanagement, disabler, all sata things and a bunch of other iatkos 5i dvd options and all went just fine, all usb working and time machine was ok.

Updated to 10.5.6 using a downloaded comboupdate from apple, all went just fine this time, got all usbs working and the system is stable atm, but timemachine wont work anymore since the error about not finding the network drive is there and i have no idea on how to fix it (any tips???)

Thanks!

is it possible to update iatkos 5i if you have the chameleon bootloader?

i think i may have this because when i turn on my computer it tells me its chameleon at the top before it boots into the apple logo

im not very knowledgeable on this type of thing, although id love to know if i can update. i dont wanna mess up my hack as i have everything working, right down to quartz extreme.

i need to be certain before i update

AFAIK you cannot update using system update if you are not using vanilla kernel. (am I wrong ppl?)

I've been there before and got my osx crashed.

Maybe you could try to use the update method described by others using all that highly nerdy stuff. Do a search for 10.5.6 update released, is something about DFI or something like it...

AFAIK you cannot update using system update if you are not using vanilla kernel. (am I wrong ppl?)

I've been there before and got my osx crashed.

Maybe you could try to use the update method described by others using all that highly nerdy stuff. Do a search for 10.5.6 update released, is something about DFI or something like it...

i really dont wanna do that because then i KNOW i will mess up

why would iatkos advertise something as "install like a real mac" when actually you cant

unless any1 can nicely help me out by personally telling me what to do with my own machine, i dont think i will upgrade

As stated here:

http://iatkos.wikidot.com/preparing-an-upgradable-system

"It is better to use the stock kernel. If any custom kernel is selected then you will need to replace the System.kext with the one in /Library/Temp after applying the update."

Thats the reason why I reinstalled leopard using no kernel selected, so this scary replace thing wont hit me :D

Good luck!

:D

i updated to 10.5.6 from an iATKOS v5i install on a vanilla kernel with no problems other than loss of usb, however as i have atheros ar5007eg wireless and a GMA 4500m there wasnt that much working that it could break...overall however it seems to be safe as long as this usb dosnt prove to be too hard to restore...

thanks for saving me some time vassalle... slices kext fixed my usb as well... just kexthelper install and reboot then usb was back, which says to me at least 10.5.6 update is safe from iAtkos v5i since even some real macs seem to lose usb, among other things.... ...it is nice to be able to use my external hard drive and see my blackberry again though....

sorry but im still confused guys

telling me to find a thread and not post a link really isnt helping

im not too good with this kinda thing, how do i know if im on vanilla or not? i swear i installed pci efi or watever it was yet when i boot up it says chameleon at the top

what do i do!!! please help me guys my son is waiting to buy ilife 09 but i cant install it unless i have 10.5.6

Sam, this worked for me...but I had to reinstall.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1027096

Anyway, if you are not going to follow http://netkas.org/?p=78 (i didnt...too nerdy 4 me)...its better 2 backup and reinstall.

more info on update here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141093

good luck