iATKOS 10.5.5 (Safe to update?)

trancefreak

40 posts in this topic

hi,

i've try serveral time to update from iAtkos 5i to 10.5.6 ,

one time with voodoo kernel and i tough it work until i repair disk permission,,,

the others time with vanilla without any problem except that i've lost time

machine ( network problem ) so if you have any solutions ...

and i'm not sure that it's about the upgrade, but i've had some probleme with network, some auto ip assignation and no connection ( or it's my router , no matter for the time )

one more thing, i'm french and i've some little translation problem with iatkos

half is in french, the other part in english, not very nice.. so if you have a solution

i've try a french patch for iatkos 1 ( found on the web ) but the package is full of kext

so i suppose that it make some problems ( after install it work very well but when

i've repairing permission, i've got a boot problem and have to reinsall everything)

thanks for helping

oh... and i've selected stock acpi modification in iatkos install, should i do something to update this to 10.5.6 or nothing ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, same here. I installed initially with a custom kernel, then re-installed (after I read everything they said) with just the stock kernel. I can confirm that I upgraded my iAtkos 5i install on my HP Pavilion DV9231CA from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 just 2 hours ago, and it works perfectly (rather, just the same as it did prior to the update... not everything worked on my HP from the start.. but I expected some issues with audio out, mic in, etc...)

But the update completed and worked just fine. Rebooted, back in to OS-X and the update applied and running as smoothly as it was prior to the update.

As stated here:

http://iatkos.wikidot.com/preparing-an-upgradable-system

"It is better to use the stock kernel. If any custom kernel is selected then you will need to replace the System.kext with the one in /Library/Temp after applying the update."

Thats the reason why I reinstalled leopard using no kernel selected, so this scary replace thing wont hit me :)

Good luck!

:(

• 2 weeks later...

iAtkos V5i on Emachines T5048 - Updated from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 fine using ToH 9.2.0 Kernal and PC EFI bootloader also had x86 acpi checked.

note: after it restarted the first time it did not boot it just restarted again then i rebooted with -f -v and everything works as it did before.

p.s. i never got usb even before the update and my network card will work for a couple hours then stop it will say im still connected but it will just not work, also had that issue before the update.

Specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines...7-32081796.html

• 1 month later...
iAtkos V5i on Emachines T5048 - Updated from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 fine using ToH 9.2.0 Kernal and PC EFI bootloader also had x86 acpi checked.

note: after it restarted the first time it did not boot it just restarted again then i rebooted with -f -v and everything works as it did before.

p.s. i never got usb even before the update and my network card will work for a couple hours then stop it will say im still connected but it will just not work, also had that issue before the update.

Specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines...7-32081796.html

Good news, i am going to update to 10.5.6 tonight. Hope all works.

:)

I'm planning on doing this too.

I have 10.5.5 iatkos with a pentium 4 processor, voodoo kernel installed. chameleon boot loader etc.

exactly what do I have to back up before installing this update? I looked in the /Library/Temp file and there is no 'system' file . . . so any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

2 tell you the truth, guys, I gotta warn you. Now I'm using iAtkos v5i and the thing is that once i tried to update via software update and it crashed the mainframe of my hackintosh. So frankly speaking i did some search on the stuff.

INITIAL: verify if your installation matches the list given on iAtkos site - the safe upgrade list. if not - you DEFINITELY are to have the crash of your OS. you can have a try but i promise you you'll have to reinstall anyways according to the restrictions listed there. Second warning - the list DOESN'T completely work for ALL PCs (in my case the OS just wouldn't install with original system kernel. Actually it did but faced me with the power btn img every time i loaded by any means known so far)

First - SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD:

If you go on the official apple site you'll find out that the size of the update they are offering in downloads there and in the software update onboard is just the same so first off i advise you to download it from the official site. Why? Simply you won't like downloading 370mb again on your next try (as i do now, lol) cuz your system doesn't save the dmg itself so that you can reah it but just on afterdownload unpacks and installs. but in our case the hackintosh thing does tend to crash so you're wise if you have the dmg the next time you reinstall.

Second - SYSTEM BACKUP:

archieve the stable system before installing the update, not only the adored files because you won't like reinstalling and selecting the patches, just have the right version. I guess if you are runnin mac on your pc, you just have to have windows installed on other partition. if so - just zip the contents of your mac drive (where the OS is installed) into an archieve without or with fast compression (in my case it took 17 minutes). If your eyes went like o.O then you have to find and install MacDrive (latest version) for your Windows platform if you can't see your Mac disk from Windows.

If you have another HFS+ partition - just use your timemachine to back up. Further on after the crash (if it happens) you can restore the system by loading from iAtkos v5i and selecting Time machine restore from utilities menu.

same case here: You can use the dvd^^^^^^^^^^^ to load from and create the hard drive image of the Mac drive. if you don't have another partition you can mount from your iAtkos DVD (that means the partition MUST be Apple HFS whatsoever) then this case won't work for you and you'll have to manually zip or rar the files from Windows.

Third - UPGRADE

there's nothing special i can advise here but the listed things in the former posts on the thread.

Fourth - REPAIR/REINSTALL

if something crashed but the system loads - you're half lucky. If it loads and everything works - you're super lucky. If id doesn't load - you're normal ))) haha. Don't reinstall first off. Try to copy the custom system.kext from your MacDrive:/Library/Temp 2 System/Extentions folder (back up the 10.5.6 updated system.kext 4 cases when you find out it wasn't it's fault). And then perform the permissions restore. If that doesn't work - try to search the Internet (what you should have done before even thinking of an upgrade lol). If nothing helpes - go to windows, manually Shift+Del (!NO FORMATTING - you want to save the HFS+ drive mapping!) all the files from your Mac drive and copy those from the archieve (if you ever had the patience to do archieve beforehand). OR timemachine your disk. OR unpack your dmg image of the disk on the prematurely formatted partition via iAtkos disk utility. Or reinstall :pirate2:

Fifth - ENJOY or FORGET IT FOREVER

anyways this Hackintosh is nothing but a waste of spare time for those who have nothing to do )) That means you ARE ready to perform those steps or you wouldn't have read this anyways )))

Cheers toy all of you from the HackMac users from Russia, have fun!)

I got iATKOS 10.5.5 because it said you can get the newest updates. Is this true?. I don't really want to update if it's going to F up my install

In my case, the bluetooth dongle, tracking pad and keyboard stopped functioning. I was able to interact with the laptop only with USB keyboard and USB mouse. I'm back to 10.5.5, but wish I was able to install the newer version. Any thoughts?

This is a dumb question, but I don't know if I'm finding the correct answer.

I can't recall which kernel I used to install my OSX86. In the System Profiler under System Software, it says I'm using Darwin 9.5.0. Is this the "vanilla" kernel?

I ask because I've tried to update before, but it failed. I was able to restore with Time Machine, luckily. If this is NOT the vanilla kernel, then I will reinstall.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gentlemans, I am using a iAtkos i5 10.5.5. And I see that there was released an update 10.5.7

Right now I am going to update. Last time I updated to 10.5.6 only my sound got down. And I must reinstall my hackintosh because I am new there :)

Hope now I update successful.

P.S. Sorry for my english but I am from Bulgaria :(

hello again, updated successful. 2 problems, wifi does not work, but I fix it :)

And again the same problem with the sound. My laptop is Dell studio 1535. If anyone can help me fix my sound card, I will be the happiest man on earth with 10.5.7 hakintosh fully workin' :( Chears

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)