Hacked BIOS EEE PC 900HA

98 posts in this topic

What is "folder tools"? I'm trying to find bootloader.pkg, c'mon don't leave us hangin!

Just unzip "DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0.zip", you will get a folder called "DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0" with a subfolder: "Sessions" and "Tools". Now browse the subfolder "Tools", inside the folder you will find "Bootloader.pkg" file.

Thank you, I came here to post exactly that, the Tools folder is found in the DSDT patcher GUI's files, when extracted.

So, a summary is in order for the 900HA:

* Buy a Dell 1390 or other compatible Wireless Mini PCIe adapter and replace it with the internal one. Just do it! You will void your warranty but it will save you a lot of frustration.

* Mod the BIOS with the links found in page 2 of this thread. Manher's post has a working link at the time of this writing.

* Install iDeneb 1.3 following this guide. (Works for the 900ha just as well as the 1000h). Ignore the BIOS part as you've already done that.

At this point, your 900HA will be working perfectly under Mac OS 10.5.5. However, there is a standby issue with XP using the modded bios (it won't come back from standby or hibernate). If you continue to use Windows XP via dual boot and you want to fix this issue, just revert to any non-modded BIOS from the Asus site *AFTER* you do the following:

* Download the GUI DSDT Patcher here.

* Run the Bootloader.pkg file in the 'Tools' folder after you extracted the above

* Run the Patcher, select the OSX partition on the right and make sure "Apply" is checked on the right.

Remember to reset BIOS settings such as turning off LAN in onboard devices and Boot Booster. My wireless didn't work until I turned off Boot Booster.

Sleep Display does work (this is turning off the LCD screen only). Also, for OSX beginners, under System Preferences, "desktop and screen saver", you can assign Sleep Display to a "hot corner" so you can turn the display off by moving a mouse to a corner of your choosing, if you wish.

Thank you all very much!

The '08 iWork and iLife suites will work, but not the '09 versions because they require 10.5.6, and don't know if anyone here has successfully updated. (if you have care to post a guide :thumbsup_anim:?)

Also, how is the battery life under osx compared to xp or windows 7?

The '08 iWork and iLife suites will work, but not the '09 versions because they require 10.5.6, and don't know if anyone here has successfully updated. (if you have care to post a guide :rolleyes: ?)

Also, how is the battery life under osx compared to xp or windows 7?

I have 10.5.6 and iwork on my 900ha. Read my last post.

I'm happy to report that my 900HA is fully functional. I followed the above guide works perfectly!

Problems

- Built-in wireless not working (dell 1390 ordered!)

- Lan

- During install the system got stuck in the welcome loop. This was because of the non-working network cards. Bypassed the problems using a lower graphics mode at start up. graphicsmode="640x480x16"

Notes:

Will post full review after the Dell wifi card is installed.

I ran Xbench right after install, yielding an average score of 44.5

I did the DST patch and reverted back to an official Asus bios. Everything good!

Maybe it will improve when i do all the fixes. Will keep everyone posted!

I had it all working perfectly (with the exception of networking) so I ran the DSDT patcher and stupidly updated to the newly released version 601 bios.

I must have stuffed up the DSDT patching cos OS X refused to boot. :(

No problem I thought, but when I went to roll back the bios to the hacked version 305 I got a nasty surprise... Apparently any bios prior to 601 is now deemed 'too old' and it won't let you flash it.

After a quick google I think I have may found a way around it, involving using an older version of the bios flashing utility (which is what I think the new bios updates) on a usb boot disk. I probably won't have a fiddle with it until my Dell 1390 card arrives next week.

So just a heads up for all those who are considering flashing their bios to the new version.

• 2 weeks later...
I had it all working perfectly (with the exception of networking) so I ran the DSDT patcher and stupidly updated to the newly released version 601 bios.

I must have stuffed up the DSDT patching cos OS X refused to boot. :whistle:

No problem I thought, but when I went to roll back the bios to the hacked version 305 I got a nasty surprise... Apparently any bios prior to 601 is now deemed 'too old' and it won't let you flash it.

After a quick google I think I have may found a way around it, involving using an older version of the bios flashing utility (which is what I think the new bios updates) on a usb boot disk. I probably won't have a fiddle with it until my Dell 1390 card arrives next week.

So just a heads up for all those who are considering flashing their bios to the new version.

Sigh. I did the stupid 601 upgrade too. Now my battery life is reduced. Please tell me how to downgrade to the older version.

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO DOWNGRADE BIOS

Here is the fastest method I found.

1. Get a USB Drive and format it using HP format utility to make it bootable

2. get afudos (google)

3. get desired rom file

4. copy afudos and rom file onto formatted USB drive

5. Reboot with usb drive

6. At C promt enter "afudos /iromname /pbnc /n" romname is the name of your rom file

7. You're done

References:

Formating USB drive: http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

Using AFUDOS

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-248339_12_0.html

Post by vagtagtd (last post)

Good luck

Hi All,

Nice to see the community working away on this. Joined this forum since I've just ordered myself a 900HA, it should be here tomorrow!

A couple of questions:

Can this process be done with a retail version of Leopard or do i have to download one of the iDeneb versions, is there something unique about those distro's that the 900HA is using?

Also, when using the dsdt patch on the boot drive and reverting the 900HA back to the original bios, are you still able to use power management as normal in OSX? Meaning, can you close the lid to sleep the computer, etc etc.?

Thanks!

i've been using osx on my 900ha for about a week.

System details

-ideneb 1.3 with the modded 305.

-dual booting with ubuntu

-using grub to boot osx

Working

- 98% everything!!!

- Wifi (replaced with dell 1390)

Not Working

- LAN

- Native function keys

- Video mirror, use extended monitor instead

- Audio input

Usage Experience

After a few re-installs and tweaking i am happy to report that Ideneb 1.3 10.5.5 on the 900ha is totally usable everyday.

I've installed iwork 08, ilife08, and mac office 08. Everything works well and properly. Applications are just as speedy as xp. I found working and using osx to be a relatively pain free experience.

Web browsing is amazingly quick, esp with firefox. Use THESE tips to make your firefox FASTER on any system. Network speed with the dell 1390 is great. Singal strength is great everywhere. No dropping, disconnects etc. Internet download is able to maintain over 450 kb/s (500 kb/s service through router)

Batterylife is about 3.5 hours with system running at 100% and brightness at 60%. Can improve battery life through GenericCPUPMControl. You'll have to find the setting that works best for you. Either longer battery life with slower preformance or vice versa.

ANNOYANCES!

- fuction keys. They wont work, you can use Spark but FN is not read by osx and will not work like xp or linux. Brightness works likes its supposed to, but you will not get an onscreen display.Having said that, fuction keys arent that important to me. I can adjust the brightness, thats all I care about. For audio, i use use the system tray.

- Audio. Have to use audiee, and the limitations of this methods are obvious. For those of those wondering: you'll have to use audiee to switch between headphone jack and internal speakers. If you plug in headphones, it will not automatically switch. Again not a big problem for me, just change it using the system tray icon.

Conclusions

I'm happy with my install. Its easy to use and problems are minimal and manageable. I use it daily and am happy with the overall performance and usefullness. Yes there are minor issues, but how else can you get a 8.9 inch macbookfor about 350 bucks!

About DSDT

I havent bothered with it since i've ditched windows. I am running the modified 305 bios. I dont see a need to upgrade to a newerversion. Ubuntu 8.10 and OSX work well so i have no complaints.

For those who are thinking about installing osx, go right ahead you won't be dissapointed. I hope my experiences can help you out. PM for specific questions.

DV

• 3 weeks later...
Problems

- During install the system got stuck in the welcome loop. This was because of the non-working network cards. Bypassed the problems using a lower graphics mode at start up. graphicsmode="640x480x16"

"Solution:

1. Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the “boot:” prompt and wait for the prompt “:/ root#” to appear

2. Mount the file system by typing “mount -uw /” (without quotes) at the “:/ root#” prompt.

3. Change the root password by typing “passwd root” at the “:/ root#” prompt and then typing in a new root password and retyping it again as requested.

4. Create the .AppleSetupDone file by typing “touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone” (without quotes) at the “:/ root#” prompt

5. Boot the system by typing “exit” (without quotes) at the “:/ root#” prompt.

6. In the OS X Login screen: enter “root” as Name and for Password, the root password chosen previously, and the system logs you in as System Administrator.

You can add any user afterwards…" - Alboak Magualak

System update kernel paniced half way through.

I used the delta update when i was in safe mode.

I reinstalled some io kexts to fix the keyboard and trackpad.

Do you think you could post a how-to for the rest of us?

Oh...and if anyone wants to skip the update and just go straight to 10.5.6, ideneb 1.4 works well and with the same instructions at ipis that were linked to on page 3.

I second!

I am fascinated by everything going on here. I have a 900HA and I'm very interested in trying OSX on my laptop before making the jump and possibly buying a macbook.

I read about a dsdt patcher that makes it so you don't have to modify your bios. I just don't know what steps go in which order if you do dsdt!!!

I need a guide that will hold my hand a bit more along the way since this will be my first time!

Also do I need a retail copy of leopard or can I use a DVDR to perform these steps for now?

The dsdt patcher that was linked to on page 3 is part of a very well-written and comprehensive guide.

To summarize what the patcher: it's only used after you have installed osx. You need the modified bios (I think it's linked to on page 1 or 2) to install osx, but after it's installed then you run the patcher to go back to a normal bios.

If you don't have a modified bios when you install osx, it won't boot.

If you go back to a normal bios without the patcher then osx won't boot.

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO DOWNGRADE BIOS

Here is the fastest method I found.

1. Get a USB Drive and format it using HP format utility to make it bootable

2. get afudos (google)

3. get desired rom file

4. copy afudos and rom file onto formatted USB drive

5. Reboot with usb drive

6. At C promt enter "afudos /iromname /pbnc /n" romname is the name of your rom file

7. You're done

References:

Formating USB drive: http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

Using AFUDOS

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-248339_12_0.html

Post by vagtagtd (last post)

Good luck

Just an addendum to this: In my case, only version 2.19 of Afudos would let me downgrade my 900HA. Any other version reported a checksum error or the "bios is older than current" message and halted, depending on whether I tried to use the force parameter.

With 2.19, I just used the /i, with no other parameters needed.

Applied the DSDT patch after that, rebooted to XP and upgraded back to the latest bios and everything's working fine.

I would have left it at the hacked bios, but I found XP was having problems coming out of sleep. Any bios newer than the hacked one solved that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking everywhere, I have 2 questions.

I'm currently running xp/OSX.

I want to install windows 7 instead of xp. When I do so my bootloader will be overwritten, How can I fix this so I can dual boot again?

Also, I have my dell 1390 wireless card and I've been looking for a tutorial on how to upgrade the card on my 900HA and I can't find one. I really don't want to to exploring on my baby!

Anyone have a link?

thanks again,

--Germwise

So i figured out whats wrong with wifi.

It seems that the bios automatically disables wifi and only if I enter bios and turn it on, save changes and THEN boot onto OSX does it see it.

How did everyone else solve this problem.

Lastly like I said i'm completely new to mac, is there a good site to really get you started on mac functionality besides apple.com?

It seems that the bios automatically disables wifi and only if I enter bios and turn it on, save changes and THEN boot onto OSX does it see it.

Lastly like I said i'm completely new to mac, is there a good site to really get you started on mac functionality besides apple.com?

This site has a tutorial that claims to have working ethernet for the 900a: http://eeemac.blogspot.com/2009/03/install...a-901-1000.html (look toward the bottom of the post for the ethernet bit).

If anyone wants to try this on the HA and see if it works (i don't see why it wouldn't) go ahead. I'll try it eventually but don't have any real urgency in doing so.

Where did you buy the wireless card from?