Hacked BIOS EEE PC 900HA

98 posts in this topic

Dear Mcsenerd, I also have eee pc 900HA and I have upgraded the bios to 0305.

I have tried to download the modded bios: http://rapidshare.com/files/169519104/900H...S-0305.rar.html but there was an error "The limit is reached", could you upload the modded bios for me?

Can I use the instructions in this site: http://www.maceee.com/how-to-mac-os-x-1054...1-1000h-27.html to setup the mac osx for my 900HA? If not, could you please provide me step-by-step instructions how to install and where I can get all the required files?

Your help will be much appreciated, because I am really a newbie on this mac osx installation things.

Looking forward to your respond. Thanks.

Yeah that link wasn't copied completely, what you need to do is go to the second link, then search that topic for 900ha. You will see a link to download. As always, do this cautiously as it can brick your eeepc. So do it if you want, but I think you can still install without it.

Hey all-

A modded BIOS is a perfectly good way to go, don't get me wrong.

I personally recommend the DSDT override method though. You get the same exact results, but can make changes whenever your hardware changes (new RAM, etc...). Also, you don't need to flash your BIOS.

MI

Hey all-

I personally recommend the DSDT override method though. You get the same exact results, but can make changes whenever your hardware changes (new RAM, etc...). Also, you don't need to flash your BIOS.

MI

I totally agree with that...but I never got the DSDT.aml file that I built working correctly. I captured mine in the terminal of the Mac OS X disc itself. Do you have instructions on how to do it under Ubuntu?

Okay So I had a perfect install but then was toying with things to get the Atheros card in my 900ha to detect networks. I was unable to do it:

So here are things to avoid:

installed Ideneb 1.3

Then tried installing voodoo kernel

Installed the I080211 .kext file, i don't think that is the exact name

Edit my Network preferences kext file to change device to en1

Put in boot flag -f

Used kismet to activate networking..

All in all it did not work. I got to the point where it detected the card, but it would never show networks.

I am officially giving up and buying a dell 1390 card.

Anyone have luck on getting the 900HA wireless to work without some weird hack that you have to do every time you turnoff your computer.

Oh yeah, power management, turning off and all worked flawlessly the only issue was the wifi, and I am assuming the ethernet is bunk too.

Yeah that link wasn't copied completely, what you need to do is go to the second link, then search that topic for 900ha. You will see a link to download. As always, do this cautiously as it can brick your eeepc. So do it if you want, but I think you can still install without it.

Limmer, I already followed your second link, the link to the bios was not broken but rapidshare had limit the download. This is the error message:

ERROR

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

So anyone who had successfully downloaded the file, could you share it with me? Thanks

Hey all-

MI

I am really newbie on this hack things, if it is better to use DSDT override, could you upload your harddisk's image, if you can't, could you post step-by-step instructions in newbie's terms (including the locations to download all required files)? Is your 900ha has a dual boot os (xp and osx)?

In the case of mcsenerd, is it possible that his power management didn't work because he is using 0305 bios, different from you that using 0203 bios?

Thanks.

Limmer, I already followed your second link, the link to the bios was not broken but rapidshare had limit the download. This is the error message:

ERROR

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

So anyone who had successfully downloaded the file, could you share it with me? Thanks

I am really newbie on this hack things, if it is better to use DSDT override, could you upload your harddisk's image, if you can't, could you post step-by-step instructions in newbie's terms (including the locations to download all required files)? Is your 900ha has a dual boot os (xp and osx)?

In the case of mcsenerd, is it possible that his power management didn't work because he is using 0305 bios, different from you that using 0203 bios?

Thanks.

Hi,

I downloaded the modded Bios of the link, but as I flashed my bios my eeePC wouldn't boot anymore. I took me two days to get it back working and only after i switched back the 2GB Ram module to the original 1GB (which, I believe it was the problem) and got the eeePC do the auto flash rescue (boot w/ usb stick with the 0306 bios named as 900HA.ROM - and I had to do it without batteries). Anyway, too problematic, so I would recommend you to try the DSDT override method first. And, please, If you find a very simple How To Guide, let me know because I'm very newbie in console commands and Hex editing.

But, in case you want to give it a try on the Modded Bios method here's a nw link to the file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/172998982/900H...305MOD.rar.html

This is the same file uploaded on the previous link. It will only stand for 10 downloads, so please, anyone who downloaded share it later.

WARNING AGAIN - I had problems with this bios and Im not certain if it was the method I used to flash it (Alt f2), the memory module or if the Bios is corrupted.

Hi,

I downloaded the modded Bios of the link, but as I flashed my bios my eeePC wouldn't boot anymore. I took me two days to get it back working and only after i switched back the 2GB Ram module to the original 1GB (which, I believe it was the problem) and got the eeePC do the auto flash rescue (boot w/ usb stick with the 0306 bios named as 900HA.ROM - and I had to do it without batteries). Anyway, too problematic, so I would recommend you to try the DSDT override method first. And, please, If you find a very simple How To Guide, let me know because I'm very newbie in console commands and Hex editing.

But, in case you want to give it a try on the Modded Bios method here's a nw link to the file.

This is the same file uploaded on the previous link. It will only stand for 10 downloads, so please, anyone who downloaded share it later.

WARNING AGAIN - I had problems with this bios and Im not certain if it was the method I used to flash it (Alt f2), the memory module or if the Bios is corrupted.

Thank you! I downloaded and flashed using the alt+f2 method, and everything worked. You must have gotten unlucky. There is definitely nothing wrong with the file.

I haven't had a chance to test osx completely yet... beyond that it at least now boots after flashing this bios!

I've uploaded the bios to mediafire as a mirror: download link

Hi,

Thanks a lot V. Max, I have downloaded the file. To make the modded bios accessible for everyone without any limit, I have uploaded the file to my own server, this is the link: http://www.jaringweb.net/download/900HA-ASUS-0305MOD.rar

Regarding to your problem, I am sure it is because you had upgraded the memory to 2 GB, the modded bios only working with a default 1 GB memory installed. This is the reason why Movingmage suggested us to use DSDT override method. But, because there's no DSDT override "for dummies" yet, I am considering to use the modded bios method.

I have found a very clear "how to" instructions with modded bios for eee pc :

http://www.maceee.com/how-to-mac-os-x-1054...1-1000h-27.html

Thanks a lot V. Max, I have downloaded the file. To make the modded bios accessible for everyone without any limit, I have uploaded the file to my own server, this is the link: http://www.jaringweb.net/download/900HA-ASUS-0305MOD.rar

Regarding to your problem, I am sure it is because you had upgraded the memory to 2 GB, the modded bios only working with a default 1 GB memory installed. This is the reason why Movingmage suggested us to use DSDT override method. But, because there's no DSDT override "for dummies" yet, I am considering to use the modded bios method.

I have found a very clear "how to" instructions with modded bios for eee pc :

http://www.maceee.com/how-to-mac-os-x-1054...1-1000h-27.html

:D I'm running 2GB of ram and that modded bios works just fine for me.

Ok. I have my second 900HA working now!!! Very, very stable

-Sound, speakers/headphones - Audiee (No mic Input), used to set Fn keys to adjust volume

-Webcam works natively in iChat/Photobooth

-QE/CI/1024x600 w/ fn key brightness control- Modded GMA950/framebuffer kexts, and then displayconfigx to set the res once (not the GMA950.pkg installer, that one seems to cause artifacting)

-Sleep/Wake/Shutdown/Restart/Clamshell sleep - All work, need the clamshell kext, but nothing speecial for sleep

-Replaced my wifi pcie card with a broadcom card. Works with no special drivers.

-Vanilla kernel

I used PCEFI V9 With DSDT override (which incorporates chameleon), and 0203 BIOS (this is NOT a modded bios). I used fassl's patcher. I read out the bios's DSDT tables through Ubuntu (this is the only way I have had success), pulled it out of the file with a hex editor and then manually fed it into the patcher.

I think iDeneb 10.5.5 is the only installer that will boot this machine with an un-modded bios.

I needed different, custom made dsdt.aml files for each of my 900HAs.

yay!

-MI

What broadcom card did you put in? I tried putting in a BCM94321MC and it isn't getting recognized. Apparently the bios only allows certain hardware on the mini-pcie slot so only certain cards work. This BCM94321MC worked fine in my EEE 901. And also, did you have any clearance issues with your broadcom card? there are a lot of surface mount parts underneath the wifi card that are getting in the way. The stock wifi card only has components on the top side. The BCM94321MC has components on both sides, so it wont sit flush with the standoffs. I put electrical tape on the back to avoid a short.

I'm going to PM this to you too, incase you dont check this thread.

Thanks!

What broadcom card did you put in? I tried putting in a BCM94321MC and it isn't getting recognized. Apparently the bios only allows certain hardware on the mini-pcie slot so only certain cards work. This BCM94321MC worked fine in my EEE 901. And also, did you have any clearance issues with your broadcom card? there are a lot of surface mount parts underneath the wifi card that are getting in the way. The stock wifi card only has components on the top side. The BCM94321MC has components on both sides, so it wont sit flush with the standoffs. I put electrical tape on the back to avoid a short.

I'm going to PM this to you too, incase you dont check this thread.

Thanks!

I just realized I had WLAN disabled in the bios :dev:

After I already swapped cards back and full reassembled. I don't have the patience to try again right now.

Skitals,

Thanks for posting your experience. As soon as I read your confirmation that the bios was a good one I gave another try changing the Memory to the 1GB module during the flash process (Im back to the 2gb working smooth). Everything worked perfect! Now i'm booting the OSX in my eee.

Manher, Thanks for the guide!!!!

Skitals,

Thanks for posting your experience. As soon as I read your confirmation that the bios was a good one I gave another try changing the Memory to the 1GB module during the flash process (Im back to the 2gb working smooth). Everything worked perfect! Now i'm booting the OSX in my eee.

Manher, Thanks for the guide!!!!

You're welcome V. Max. BTW, do you use the standard wifi Atheros AR5007EG? If yes, did it working with the installed osx using Ralink driver?

I have tried installed the Ralink driver based on the guide instructions, but when I went to System Preferences -> Network, there was no ethernet connector detected.

FYI, I had enabled the WLAN in BIOS and the wifi led was also on.

I have done the install and uninstall process of the Ralink driver for several times, but the result still the same, the System Preferences -> Network didn't detect any ethernet connector.

If there's anyone that had successfully installed Ralink driver on their 900ha, please let me know, your help will much appreciated.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to post for a while. I've been preoccupied with end of semester finals.

My 900ha is currently running leopard 10.5.6.

Working-

touchpad & keyboard- after reinstalling the drivers with the msi wind driver pack

950gma- with 10.5.5 drivers pkg (brightness works without patching)

shutdown and reboot

speedstep- with superhai's kext

sound- with audieee

external ralink wireless adapter

webcam

sd card reader

volume keys- with proxi

Not working

wifi- io802.11family.kext allows detection but causes kernel panics at bootup

touchpad gestures- two finger scroll works

Other notes:

running bios 306 with dsdt patch.

• 2 weeks later...
I got a 1390 Dell Wireless card for my 900HA, and it works perfectly in XP except it won't wake up from sleep or hibernate. I did install the 305 Mod bios so I'm not sure if that is responsible or the 1390.

Anyone else experiencing this in XP?

I had the same problem. After flashing back to an unmodded bios, standby and hibernate worked again, so its most likely the modded bios at fault. Anyone have a fix?

Thanks.

Sleep works with OSX. However, my display won't sleep. I can't get my monitor to turn off using the power/energy settings. I even downloaded a program called Sleep Display and that won't turn off my display either. It does turn off when I close the screen and turns right back on when I open it again.

Does anyone have this issue also?

I found this GUI DSDT patcher here:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48

If I run this and apply it, I'll be able to flash a normal bios back onto my 900ha? Also, please someone chime in about the sleep display issue!

I ran the patcher then flashed back to standard bios, and Leopard wouldn't boot. Not sure I did something wrong, anyone else have a different result?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I selected Apply DSDT Patch to my Leopard partition and set the operating system to Darwin/OSX.

One step that you had skipped Neoddr089, you must install bootloader.pkg (in folder Tools) first before you run the DSDTPatcher. Just try again, it works for me... ;)

Now, everything perfects! There's no problem with Win XP standby mode anymore... :D

And the best thing of this patch is I can flash the original and updated bios from Asus website without worrying that it will caused my OSX can't load... yiipeee... thanks a lot g-funkster!

BTW, regarding the Atheros wifi (I thought it's the same with Ralink, which is not), it's not supported by OSX, so I had changed the wifi with Dell 1390 like anybody else here.. :) and it's really works great, out of the box... Now I have a fully function OSX Leopard with 9 inch display and a very low budget of course... :)