Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

OK so Ive just started my build and was wondering, am i going to need the boot132 cd and the alu mb dvd's? I am new to this but going recovering from an illness over the next 8 weeks and would love to spend my time playing with this particular setup. Is there a decent place online (irc) where there is an active crowd?

Will start playing tonite but I know ill need some help.

I'm going to try with Chameleon using a disc image install from another machine. Won't have any results till Wednesday though. What I've gathered from this thread is that the 10.5.5 MB restore disc doesn't need any new or altered kexts for this thing to work.

Hey all. So I have some good news....

-Nvidia 9400 works 100% QE/CI. Only tested via DVI so far.

-Ethernet works oob and has proper bonjour/afp sharing support

-firewire works oob

-ahci working oob, but with device id added to ahci kext info you get info in sys profiler (picture below)

-Vanilla kernel works (from macbook restore disc)

-Sleep works and even wakes using usb keyboard on S3.

picture1mz4.png

More info to come soon. Of course you'll need a macbook/macbookpro unibody restore disc as of now.

Thanks to Signal64 for testing this stuff out for the curious crowd. :)

-Stell

Hey stellrola/Signal64,

I got a GA-E7AUM-DS2H, is that the board you've got? I noticed in the above image that you got a GPT install working. I can't get my BIOS to get past "Verifying DMI Pool Data" when I tried using GPT.

Do you have any ideas why this could be? Maybe I need to change the mode in the BIOS from AHCI to RAID?

Also, how's the guide coming? Is it really as easy as using boot 132 cd, then installing totally vanilla disc? I'm currently trying to install by using "open OSInstall.mpkg" methods, with less than complete success...

Many thanks.

mrosxn00b.

I'm currently trying to install by using "open OSInstall.mpkg" methods, with less than complete success...

What do you mean by this? The reason why I ask is because I created an installation using chameleon and "open OSInstall.mpkg" on another hack and plan to drop it in. Is that what you are trying to do? How far have you gotten using this method? I just want to know if it is feasible.

What do you mean by this? The reason why I ask is because I created an installation using chameleon and "open OSInstall.mpkg" on another hack and plan to drop it in. Is that what you are trying to do? How far have you gotten using this method? I just want to know if it is feasible.

Well, I had to use a DSDT.aml file to fix AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, RTC and HPET problems (with PC EFI v9), and make a few changes to it too, I used -newHPET, but that changed the Address Base incorrectly, so I had to manually put that part back to what it was and force a recompile with iasl.

Also, although it's loading the right kexts for the gfx, Core Image says Software and Quartz Extreme says Not Supported. My CPU speed is detected wrong (3.2 Ghz, should be 2.66).

The method is definitely feasible, just hasn't gone as painlessly as I'd have hoped. Think I need to keep trying.

Well, I had to use a DSDT.aml file to fix AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, RTC and HPET problems (with PC EFI v9), and make a few changes to it too, I used -newHPET, but that changed the Address Base incorrectly, so I had to manually put that part back to what it was and force a recompile with iasl.

That's a little bit beyond me. You must be talking about recompiling EFI, if I get you right. I just took the 10.5.5 MB restore image and installed it along with Chameleon on a reformatted HD on my existing hac. That's what I was getting at in my previous post. Did you use 10.5.5 restore and did you install from an existing installation (I'm guessing you did because I wouldn't know how else you could do it as described).

Cheers!

PS. This is to be my second hack. My first took A LOT of finagling to get right (but now I can do it every time). I am expecting to wrangle a little bit with this next one.

That's a little bit beyond me. You must be talking about recompiling EFI, if I get you right. I just took the 10.5.5 MB restore image and installed it along with Chameleon on a reformatted HD on my existing hac. That's what I was getting at in my previous post. Did you use 10.5.5 restore and did you install from an existing installation (I'm guessing you did because I wouldn't know how else you could do it as described).

Cheers!

PS. This is to be my second hack. My first took A LOT of finagling to get right (but now I can do it every time). I am expecting to wrangle a little bit with this next one.

No, nothing to do with recompiling EFI source code, just DSDT stuff. See:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

As to your other two questions, yes and yes.

The approach that Diabolik and I have taken is using the alu macbook as the basis for the install for the 730i boards.

It has the changes for the nvidia support (from Apple mind you) where a current retail dvd doesn't.

It got ugly using a 10.5.5 install when using just some of the new kexts.

When I got access to a new alu macbook (early holiday present) I went for using a disk image from it on these boards.

Diabolik proved you could use the restore disc from the new alu macbook as well.

BOTH methods still required another macbook to get started in making the image or doing the restore disc to a drive.

Adding a smbios enabler, dsmos, pmdisabler, then chameleon + dsdt patch with a new aml and then installing the drive on these boards got it going.

What I'm working on ( with thanks to some very helpful and much more knowledgeable people here and on irc ) is cleaning up the audio using TheKing's guide on both the P5N7A-VM and the Gigabyte and still trying to get the ethernet sleep issue solved on the Gigabyte.

The RTC fix is the only basic change I found you need to make to dsdt to get booting on the Gigabyte. I've been changing the device names to match those on the macbook and adding the audio.

Ultimate goal is to get a bios with DMI info with the dsdt changes to allow you to boot with a boot-132 and use the macbook restore discs.

Without the DSDT fixes in BIOS, a boot-132 method isn't directly possibly without going to using a munky method due to the necessary dsdt fix.

I'm working on two 730i boards with these fixes and goals (ASUS P5N7A-VM and Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H).

It's taking me longer to get through this as I would like.

Ultimate goal is to get a bios with DMI info with the dsdt changes to allow you to boot with a boot-132 and use the macbook restore discs.

Without the DSDT fixes in BIOS, a boot-132 method isn't directly possibly without going to using a munky method due to the necessary dsdt fix.

isn't evi9 + DSDT an option?

And maybe have a look at the "on-klick-patcher" weaksauce12 is working on for the GA DS3L boards. It can easily be extended due plug-ins to work with other boards (afaik).

Kernel Panic almost right away. Method: Boot-123 disc then MBP 10.5.5 system restore disc. I als tried using a .mpkg install from another computer using Chameleon, but I get the same panic. I have not tried patching DSDT and I'm not entirely sure how to install Chameleon with the DSDT patch. I guess that will be my next option as it seems like what I have tried so far has yeilded the same results both times. Anyone with any suggestions.

Kernel Panic almost right away. Method: Boot-123 disc then MBP 10.5.5 system restore disc. I als tried using a .mpkg install from another computer using Chameleon, but I get the same panic. I have not tried patching DSDT and I'm not entirely sure how to install Chameleon with the DSDT patch. I guess that will be my next option as it seems like what I have tried so far has yeilded the same results both times. Anyone with any suggestions.

PC EFI v9 and Chameleon seem to be merging / merged...

Here's the installer:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjgmyimzhtm

After that, you need a DSDT.aml on the root of you drive, here, use mine...

http://www.mediafire.com/?nytqnydytvy

Good luck!

Make sure you have one of the Power Management disablers in the boot-132 extras.

Good luck!

Trying it right now. Following these steps (creating an install from my mini using osinstall.mpkg):

• Install EFI
  • Install 10.5.5 MBP
  • add DSDT to root

Make sure you have one of the Power Management disablers in the boot-132 extras.

I feel like a total noob. Oh wait! I am one.

Okay, shoud I have put that into the extras folder before installing EFI. Guess I'll find out.

I use a q6600

Trying it right now. Following these steps (creating an install from my mini using osinstall.mpkg):
  • Install EFI
  • Install 10.5.5 MBP
  • add DSDT to root

I feel like a total noob. Oh wait! I am one.

Okay, shoud I have put that into the extras folder before installing EFI. Guess I'll find out.

I use a q6600

No, Signal64 is advising for your attempt to get the install working from the DVD (I think, I'm a noob myself!), I'm helping you with the other, OSInstall.mpkg-from-existing-system method.

Your q6600 will likely be fine with my DSDT.aml.

Just remember that my method hasn't worked great so far, and I'm now trying a from-DVD install to see if that improves matters, but as Signal64 mentioned, the only methods that've worked right so far both involved having a unibody mb or mbp.

I believe that the MBP v10.5.5 that I DL'd is the macbook pro restore. Not totally sure however, so maybe I am just spinning my wheels here. I will start over with the following process (though in the past installing PC_EFI before installing the retail disc has worked for me).

So, Ill try the following after if this one doesn't work: 1)Install OS (.mpkg method), 2)Install EFI - swapping out PM disabler from Boot-123. 3)place DSDT.aml in the root directory.

the easy way: (with macbook/macbook pro restore disk)

1. install w/ pacifist to usb drive or seperate partition (from a differnt working install)

2. add in kexts : a decryptor, smbios enabler, gfx injector, cpupm disabler

3a. image that drive/partition with super duper or a similar cloning app.

3b. take the just made clone then image restore that to whatever your final hdd is (preferrably on a usb)

4. install chameleon with dsdt fix to the just restored hdd

5. insert a cpu fixed dsdt.aml in root.

6. attatch that hdd into your 730i mobo then fire it up

7. enjoi

-D-

theres an easier way to do it if you have an actual mb5,1/mbp5,1 also :D

With the following steps I was able to overcome my previous hurdle of the system panicking right away. Now I am in an eternal spinning wheel at boot. I can't get to any boot prompt where I can tell the computer to display the boot process so I'm not entirely sure what it is stuck on. Anyway, I consider this progress. Also, the light on the ethernet jack changed from yellow to green so I know that extensions are loading (forever).

Anyway, this is what I did:

• Installed EFI V9
  • used osintall.mkpg method
  • imported dsdt.aml into root
  • installed intelCPUPMDisabler.kext directly into extensions folder

My theory is that I have a permissions problem.

With the following steps I was able to overcome my previous hurdle of the system panicking right away. Now I am in an eternal spinning wheel at boot. I can't get to any boot prompt where I can tell the computer to display the boot process so I'm not entirely sure what it is stuck on. Anyway, I consider this progress. Also, the light on the ethernet jack changed from yellow to green so I know that extensions are loading (forever).

Anyway, this is what I did:

• Installed EFI V9
  • used osintall.mkpg method
  • imported dsdt.aml into root
  • installed intelCPUPMDisabler.kext directly into extensions folder

My theory is that I have a permissions problem.

Ok, progress for sure.

I didn't need to do anything with CPUPMDisabler stuff, the DSDT.aml should fix the PM stuff. Try:

1. Copy a dsmos.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

2. Delete Dont Steal blah blah.kext.

3. Change you com.apple.Boot.plist so it's got a timeout and add -v by default.

4. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

5. boot with -v -s initially, then mount -uw / (or whatever it says)

6. cd /System/Library/Extensions

7. chown -R 0:0 *

8. Reboot, you should be now where I am, with a system that boots...

or try what DiaboliK suggested.

Good luck.