Dell Inspiron 1318 got it working

pcguy

180 posts in this topic

Chameleon seems to always mess up my install. I installed everything, upgraded to 10.5.8, then installed Chameleon 2.0 RC 1 and the system loops infiinitely at the Apple boot screen.

-x, -s, nothing gets me in. Any ideas? I don't mind not installing Chameleon, but then I won't have USB since your fix for that involves Chameleon.

Attached are the Broadcom network drivers off the iAtkos v7 disc if anyone wants to try...

Not sure what's going on with your system and Chameleon 2, but if verbose mode doesn't help in pinpointing the problem, then try installing a Disabler.kext (if you can) and see if it blocks any troublesome kexts. If all else fails and you still need a bootloader with dsdt support, I believe pcefi_v9 has that support, although it is based on the older Chameleon 1.0.12.

Hope you can solve the problem. Also, I've attached the disabler that I use when needed, if it helps.

P.S. If you're just trying to get sleep working again in 10.5.8 I suggest using the SleepEnabler.kext created by Pista7 in this thread.

Disabler.kext.zip

Not sure what's going on with your system and Chameleon 2, but if verbose mode doesn't help in pinpointing the problem, then try installing a Disabler.kext (if you can) and see if it blocks any troublesome kexts. If all else fails and you still need a bootloader with dsdt support, I believe pcefi_v9 has that support, although it is based on the older Chameleon 1.0.12.

Hope you can solve the problem. Also, I've attached the disabler that I use when needed, if it helps.

P.S. If you're just trying to get sleep working again in 10.5.8 I suggest using the SleepEnabler.kext created by Pista7 in this thread.

Disabler.kext.zip

Thanks for that info. I remember choosing Disabler when installing off iAtkos 10.5.5 disc. Should I install it again? I'm afraid to install Chameleon again if it fails and causes me to reinstall yet again.

I'm currently working okay off PCEFIv9, but sadly no luck on the USB mounting. :(

Hi,

Can you send me step by step on how to install on a Inpiron 1318? I have tried over and over and I can not get it to work. I want it to dual boot with Vista. I have iATKOS 10.5.4. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

dktani55@sbcglobal.net

I tried several versions KalyWay, iDeneb, Leo4All and could not get Leo installed. Frustrated, I tried again with iATKOS 10.5.4 and got it to boot. (UPDATE, you can use the newest version iATKOS ver 5i which is 10.5.5) Then choose the default with SATA driver selected and Intel GMA3100 video driver. After a reboot, the display went blank here is what you need to do:

__Wait for 20 seconds before pulling the power plug. (Let the system finish up what it is doing. Pulling the plug too soon may not get the display to come back)

__Wait like 5 minutes 40 seconds or 6 minutes to plug it back in.

and voila, the display came back. Now I'm working on getting the sound driver updated and the SleepDisplay app installed to wake the video up.

f someone out there having the problem installing Leo, try iATKOS 10.5.4 and my method; you should be able to install it on Dell Inspiron 1318.

UPDATE:

Use this video driver x3100 updated from hackslash to get your video driver working properly. The one on iATKOS won't function correctly sometimes.

Now you can get rid of the Hot Corner. Stop monkeying around with SleepDisplay. Download this Screen Sleeper Solution and install it. That's it. Credit goes to Nawcom. Thanks. :)

Hi,

Can you send me step by step on how to install on a Inpiron 1318? I have tried over and over and I can not get it to work. I want it to dual boot with Vista. I have iATKOS 10.5.4. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

dktani55@sbcglobal.net

I ended up reformat and reinstall my Dell 1318 with iATKOS version 4i. I selected AHCI driver, Intel Speedstep, 9.4 kernel, ACPI and the new Intel X3100. It booted faster and didn't take too long to wake it up with the SleepDisplay trick. I noticed in About this Mac under Graphics info. ROM Revision said OpenGL Engine activated via EFI String.

SpeedStep is working now. It shows the clock speed on the top bar and you can set it as Auto or your own custom clock speed. This new version is great and things seem to work much better than the old one. I'm going to try version 5i to see if there is any improvements over the 4i version. As of now, my web cam does not work but it did work with the old version.

For anyone trying to get this to work, make sure you choose AHCI or SATA driver. This option is available in iATKOS 4i. I chose AHCI because I was able to get XP to work under this mode. If you turn off AHCI in the BIOS, then choose SATA driver (Intel ICH). I'm happy now to get it running better than it was before. It was a hit and miss with the old version trying to wake up the display. My time to wake up the display was 5 min 44 seconds when doing the installation. Yours may vary.

If you have a better way to make it run better, please post all your tweaks and updates here. Thanks to everyone who contributed your effort to make this installation easier for others. Your effort is greatly appreciated! Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much PCGuy for your descriptive settings, fixes, etc. They got MacOS working on my dell inspiron 1318 beautifully. I'm experiencing one problem. Not a huge one but something I would like to get working....

The problem I'm experiencing is my network card (wired ethernet) does not function. Wifi works fine but ethernet doesn't. In system preferences > network it tells me the cable is unplugged; however, I know it's plugged in and has signal because the lights of the network card itself are lit up. According to the dell website, my laptop should have a broadcom 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller.....

Is there a fix for this or something I need to do to get it working?

I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks So Much!

• 1 month later...

Dabluest:

I couldnt get your graphics fix to work. Ive started to get a little confused in this thread as to what OS version everyone is on. I used iAtkos 4i 10.5.4. In customize I'm selecting:

9.4 Kernel

ACPI

Sata

Intel X3100

AppleSmbios Netkas

I use the monitor out trick to get through install. Once on the desktop everyone thing seems fine. So the first thing I try to do is:

First you'll need to make sure you have a DSDT compatible bootloader installed; I'm currently using Chameleon 2.0RC1

Secondly, install all of the kexts from the Slashack Video drivers found on the first post in this thread, MINUS the Natit.kext.

Finally, place the dsdt.aml from the attached .zip at the root of your hard drive (the root, if you didn't know, is where your Application, Library, System, etc. Folders are located).

Repair permissions if you must and reboot.

First off. I cant figure out how to install a newer bootloader than the one installed with iAtkos. Its Darwin v5.0.132. Is that compatible with bootloader?

I went ahead and did the second step. I used osx86 tools to install the kexts. Then I moved the dsdt.aml to the root of the drive and fixed permissions. Reboot and startup back to black screen. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's retail. Installed as soon as Snow Leopard was released. Unfortunately, it wasn't an easy process and many nights I cried myself to sleep after having my butt kicked fooling with it. Assistance from many talented people and countless updated kexts, bootloaders, etc. later, I'm up and running stable on 10.6.2.

One of these days, when I have some free time, I'll have to start from scratch and make a proper guide to those in need.

In the meantime, as long as you have a working backup, don't be afraid to just dive in and give it a whirl. :rolleyes:

Screen%20shot%202009-11-12%20at%203.03.33%20AM.jpg

ok its easy to install osx snow on 1318 just boot whit superhai dell installer and after put snow retail

http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

10.6 v4

after install boot whit cd superhai

create folder extra on root

in extra folder put dsdt.aml

smbios.plist

com. apple.boot.plist

and create a extensions folder in folder extra and put kextExtensions.zip

Archive.zip

after install cameleon

and reboot

• 4 weeks later...

Pcguy you are the freaking man!!!!!!!!!

I followed your guide to the T and everything worked perfect.

Thank you very much for helping all of us here.

ATM i have the sleep display trick going because i could not install the x3100 updated from hackslash.

If you could PM me as to how to install these kext i would really applicate it.

I tried everything and it causes the system not to boot at all.

I am happy with the sleep display for the time being but eventually would like to get it working perfect.

Thanks again man, you are the shiznit. lol :wacko:

EDIT: I got everything working using the updated fix for the startup sleep problem.

I also used the iDeneb.Combo.Upgrade.KIT.dmg (google is your friend) to upgrade to 10.5.7 and now have 5 hrs battery life!!!

• 3 weeks later...
ok its easy to install osx snow on 1318 just boot whit superhai dell installer and after put snow retail

http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

10.6 v4

after install boot whit cd superhai

create folder extra on root

in extra folder put dsdt.aml

smbios.plist

com. apple.boot.plist

and create a extensions folder in folder extra and put kextExtensions.zip

Archive.zip

after install cameleon

and reboot

thanx for your easy guide! Will sound work? And; do i need superhai 10.6 v4 iso OR SL 10.6 v4 iso?

Thanx again!

ok for sound just install voodoo hda whit kexkt helper

10,6 v4 iso

Thanx; installed SL but install did not finish properly...FAILED because drive not bootable... Still SL works after installing XP's files + Chameleon but: wifi and track pad/keyboard not working. Also sound not working.

@ XP1700: any idea?

@ All: any idea? :)

@ Dabluest: can you post your Extra-folder?

THANX!

Thanx; installed SL but install did not finish properly...FAILED because drive not bootable... Still SL works after installing XP's files + Chameleon but: wifi and track pad/keyboard not working. Also sound not working.

@ XP1700: any idea?

@ All: any idea? :rolleyes:

@ Dabluest: can you post your Extra-folder?

THANX!

Extra: Extra Folder Extensions

Audio: Audio Files

Keyboard/Trackpad: TP & KB Files

Wifi: Try the fix here, which is what I used to get wifi working. I have since gone the route of updating my card to appear as a stock Airport Extreme card, to no longer rely on this fix.

Hope this helps.

Wifi: Try the fix here, which is what I used to get wifi working. I have since gone the route of updating my card to appear as a stock Airport Extreme card, to no longer rely on this fix.

Hope this helps.

Thanx Dabluest! But: SleepEnabler causes KP... Will try again without SleepEnabler, also XP's setup already had sleep working just fine.

Thanx Dabluest! But: SleepEnabler causes KP... Will try again without SleepEnabler, also XP's setup already had sleep working just fine.

Yeah sorry about that. I forgot that version of SleepEnabler is for 10.6.2 only. All the other kexts should work fine on 10.6.0/.1

Got 10.6.1 running just fine on my girl's 1318! Only sound left to fix.

Solved trackpad/keyboard issue by adding kext from superhai dell installer 10.6v4 to Extra/Extenions (VoodooPS2 did not work for me...)

Solved Wifi issue by modifying original IO80211Family.kext wiith parts of the kext posted on page 1.

Will post all kext's + short guide tomorrow!

Thanx to XP and Dabluest for the help.

Yeah sorry about that. I forgot that version of SleepEnabler is for 10.6.2 only. All the other kexts should work fine on 10.6.0/.1

No prob. :) thanx. Did you encounter any problems when updating to 10.6.2?

About your Kexts posted: what-fore are AppleRTC and AppleACPIPS2Nub from your Extensions folder?

• 1 month later...

Hope this helps.

Hey Dabluest, do you mind posting your com.apple.boot.plist / dsdt.aml files?

I tried installing Snow Retail following XP's instructions. Did it through USB. Install went okay for a while, then FAILED saying that it couldn't use my partition as a startup disk. Regardless, it still let me enter the OS which was nice.

But then the problems started. I managed to get everything up and running, but the video res won't change. And I also noticed XP's com.apple.boot file has a built-in command to boot 32-bit, and saw on your signature that you're 64-bit Vanilla.

We would love a guide if/when you have the time! Thanks!

Also for DUAL BOOTERS--------

if anyone is trying to do a dual boot like me, you need to PATCH two files on the snow retail disk so it will allow you to install Snow properly onto an MBR partition. Meaning you have to either make a copy of the disc with the new files or restore it to a USB flash drive. Instructions are here:

And necessary files are attached...

1. Replace OSInstall.mpkg in /Volumes/Mac OS Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages

2. Replace OSInstall to /Volumes/Mac OS Install DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A

OSInstall_SLeo.zip

Hey Dabluest, do you mind posting your com.apple.boot.plist / dsdt.aml files?

I tried installing Snow Retail following XP's instructions. Did it through USB. Install went okay for a while, then FAILED saying that it couldn't use my partition as a startup disk. Regardless, it still let me enter the OS which was nice.

But then the problems started. I managed to get everything up and running, but the video res won't change. And I also noticed XP's com.apple.boot file has a built-in command to boot 32-bit, and saw on your signature that you're 64-bit Vanilla.

We would love a guide if/when you have the time! Thanks!

Hi,

I do definitely need to start on that guide like I said, just forgot about it. Give me some more time and I'll wipe my drive and start from scratch.

As for your needs now, I've attached numerous files from my current install if it'll help (cleaned up my Extra/Extensions folder a bit, but note that the SleepEnabler is for 10.6.2 only).

The bootloader I'm currently using is Prasys' PC_EFI 10.6 mod. I'm also back with the 32bit kernel, since the new graphics drivers that Apple added in 10.6.2 for 64bit compatibility, have a problem with sleep. See my thread here for more info. Just remove the "arch=i386" flag from Boot.plist to boot into 64bit mode.

Also ran across a fix last month for the problem of the occasional black/gray screen on boot, which happens on some X3100 graphics on OS X. Just replace (backup first) the "DisplayProductID-717" file located at: /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e. Now whenever OS X can't read your graphics EDID, which causes the black or grey screen, it will use this display override with the correct EDID and your display will be correct (though your wallpaper may be different the first time, which is an easy fix).

Credit goes to users CharredPC & errandwolfe for the fix. Also note this fix may no longer be necessary with the fix from Meklort rolled into Prasys' modded bootloader.

Let me know if I can help any further.

FILES:

SL_Files

DisplayProductID-717

has there been any successful vanilla installs on the 13

Well a lot of us are running our hacks with the vanilla kernel, which is about as "vanilla" as you're going to get without running on an actual mac. You'll still need to add some hackintosh specific kexts in order to have a working install.