Dell Inspiron 1318 got it working

pcguy

180 posts in this topic

Ok... i being able to fix the battery meter on my inspiron, the only issues i have right now are, the headphones/mic/sleep problems; other than that its running fine, i'm updating directly from apple except for the 10.5.5 Airport Extreme Critical Update, because it disable the wifi; btw i installed iAtkos v.5i on my 1318 with the ACPI 86x enabled on the customization menu, because if i install the os with the Stock ACPI the installer cant detect the keyboard and trackpad. You can install the AHCI driver for intel SATA but it must be enabled first on the BIOS. Other than that i need to wait a few minutes for the display to show because the 5/20 minutes Power adapter unplug/plug trick didnt work, but i solve it thought the hotcorner sleep trick once the display came back. thanks everyone here for their hints, they were very useful :|:yoji:

it can hybernate through this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.phpshow...mp;#entry970993

I ended up reformat and reinstall my Dell 1318 with iATKOS version 4i. I selected AHCI driver, Intel Speedstep, 9.4 kernel, ACPI and the new Intel X3100. It booted faster and didn't take too long to wake it up with the SleepDisplay trick. I noticed in About this Mac under Graphics info. ROM Revision said OpenGL Engine activated via EFI String.

SpeedStep is working now. It shows the clock speed on the top bar and you can set it as Auto or your own custom clock speed. This new version is great and things seem to work much better than the old one. I'm going to try version 5i to see if there is any improvements over the 4i version. As of now, my web cam does not work but it did work with the old version.

For anyone trying to get this to work, make sure you choose AHCI or SATA driver. This option is available in iATKOS 4i. I chose AHCI because I was able to get XP to work under this mode. If you turn off AHCI in the BIOS, then choose SATA driver (Intel ICH). I'm happy now to get it running better than it was before. It was a hit and miss with the old version trying to wake up the display. My time to wake up the display was 5 min 44 seconds when doing the installation. Yours may vary.

If you have a better way to make it run better, please post all your tweaks and updates here. Thanks to everyone who contributed your effort to make this installation easier for others. Your effort is greatly appreciated! Keep up the good work.

I tried out iATKOS version 5i yesterday. Got it working but I had to switch to AHCI mode in BIOS in order for the DVD to go through the install. To get Windows XP working again, I had to switch back to turn off AHCI. Then go back to OS X and install the latest Intel ICH8-9 SATA driver.

One thing it did fix was the webcam problem I had with version 4i. In 5i webcam, bluetooth, wireless, video, usb and everything else works except network card. There are a lot more options in 5i when customizing your installation. My next thing is to get the sleep and hibernation to work. Please post your problems/solutions here regarding to this newer version of iATKOS.

I've tried to install iATKOS 5i at least 20 times by now and only once I got into Leopard blue desktop with icons. I had to boot the laptop with output switched to external monitor connected and then it worked.

But it doesn't work anymore.

I have tried to reinstall many times since then and I get stuck at different points, depending on what I check in the installer. I get to the black and white stripes, mDNSresponeder/sandbox error, freeze at Darwin Kernel line...

Can anyone post what options they have checked and unchecked in the Installer? What Kernel, Bootloader, Decrypter, SMBios, ACPI, VGA...? I am completely lost at this moment. :)

- Also, do you use any switches (-v -f -x) when booting from iATKOS 5i CD?

- Any switches to boot from HD after installation?

- Do you have anything disabled in BIOS (network card)? Do you use SATA or AHCI?

I have Inspiron 1318 with Intel X1300 graphics and Core 2 Duo 2GHz.

Thanks.

I've tried to install iATKOS 5i at least 20 times by now and only once I got into Leopard blue desktop with icons. I had to boot the laptop with output switched to external monitor connected and then it worked.

But it doesn't work anymore.

I have tried to reinstall many times since then and I get stuck at different points, depending on what I check in the installer. I get to the black and white stripes, mDNSresponeder/sandbox error, freeze at Darwin Kernel line...

Can anyone post what options they have checked and unchecked in the Installer? What Kernel, Bootloader, Decrypter, SMBios, ACPI, VGA...? I am completely lost at this moment. :thumbsup_anim:

- Also, do you use any switches (-v -f -x) when booting from iATKOS 5i CD?

- Any switches to boot from HD after installation?

- Do you have anything disabled in BIOS (network card)? Do you use SATA or AHCI?

I have Inspiron 1318 with Intel X1300 graphics and Core 2 Duo 2GHz.

Thanks.

Here is what I selected and it worked just fine for me. The one thing you have to remember is the display will goes black after the 1st restart. I waited for 5 min 44 seconds and got the screen back on. If you going to run XP as dual boot then turn off AHCI in BIOS. Follow this below:

Boot Loader: PC EFI V9 (I also tried Chameleon and that worked too)

X86 Patches

Decrypter: dsmos

SMBIOS Drivers

SMBIOS Enabler (I don't use)

SMBIOS for X86: AppleSMBIOS Netkas

Kernel: 9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo

ACPI: x86 ACPI

Disabler.kext: Yes (check box)

OHR: Yes (optional, this works with or without)

Drivers:

Intel: X3100

EFI String for Intel

System:

SATA/IDE:

Intel SATA (or choose Intel AHCI SATA if you have your BIOS in AHCI mode). Remember booting Windows XP will need to turn off AHCI.

Speedstep: Intel Speedstep a

Laptop Battery: Yes

NTFS 3G (optional, if you want to write to NTFS drives then check this box

Network: None needed. For wireless to work, use the driver in this post and repair permission.

That's it. This is a great installation CD because it has many more options to select from. So far I can only use iATKOS. Other versions do not work. So fix the display problem, sound, wireless and your laptop is good to go.

Updated my iatkos v5i to 10.5.6 official update and audio its gone,wifi can be reinstalled from dell post installer; any ideas?

Use HDA Patcher version 1.6 and the codec dump in this thread. Drop that on the HDA patcher and you should get your sound back.

Here is what I selected and it worked just fine for me. The one thing you have to remember is the display will goes black after the 1st restart. I waited for 5 min 44 seconds and got the screen back on. If you going to run XP as dual boot then turn off AHCI in BIOS. Follow this below:

Boot Loader: PC EFI V9 (I also tried Chameleon and that worked too)

X86 Patches

Decrypter: dsmos

SMBIOS Drivers

SMBIOS Enabler (I don't use)

SMBIOS for X86: AppleSMBIOS Netkas

Kernel: 9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo

ACPI: x86 ACPI

Disabler.kext: Yes (check box)

OHR: Yes (optional, this work with or without)

Drivers:

Intel: X3100

EFI String for Intel

System:

SATA/IDE:

Intel SATA (or choose Intel AHCI SATA if you have your BIOS in AHCI mode). Remember booting Windows XP will need to turn off AHCI.

Speedstep: Intel Speedstep a

Laptop Battery: Yes

NTFS 3G (optional, if you want to write to NTFS drives then check this box

Network: None needed. For wireless to work, use the driver in this post and repair permission.

That's it. This is a great installation CD because it has many more options to select from. So far I can only use iATKOS. Other versions do not work. So fix the display problem, sound, wireless and your laptop is good to go.

Hello Pcguy, thank you for all your help. i've just installed iatkos 5i using the same options as you. everything is working fine so far. i just chose sleepdisplay on the upper right hand corner in the system preferences. now i need to fix the sound and wireless problem. can you please tell me how i fix them. i have a dell 1395 wireless. can you please send me the drivers i need. i really appreciate your help. thank you.

Does anyone's screen just remailn black regardless of what they do??

that has been covered in this thread. Unplug the power on boot, wait for over 5 minutes (for the screen to autoshut off) and then plug the power back in and move the mouse.

that has been covered in this thread. Unplug the power on boot, wait for over 5 minutes (for the screen to autoshut off) and then plug the power back in and move the mouse.

Yeah, see that certainly falls under the category of "whatever they do".

Me and a buddy of mine have tried this exhaustively, with the same laptop.

thnks for trying to help tho.

Are you using iAtkOS?

Does the system seem to be booting to the login screen?

Have you checked the system logs?

The machine won't sleep so maybe yours is entering sleep somehow (which will cause a kernel panic and leave the screen black).

I too am trying to get this to work on a Dell 1318.

What happened to me is that after unplugging, leaving for 5 mins then plugging back in, the touchpad would not wake it up but when I plugged in a USB mouse, it did wake up and the install moved onto the next screen telling me that it did not recognise my keyboard.

I suspect that you, like me have installed with the stock ACPI option and it did not recognise your trackpad so it did not wake it up. I am going to try and re-install with the x86 ACPI option instead of the stock ACPI option as detailed earlier in this thread and see if I can get any further.

I too am trying to get this to work on a Dell 1318.

What happened to me is that after unplugging, leaving for 5 mins then plugging back in, the touchpad would not wake it up but when I plugged in a USB mouse, it did wake up and the install moved onto the next screen telling me that it did not recognise my keyboard.

I suspect that you, like me have installed with the stock ACPI option and it did not recognise your trackpad so it did not wake it up. I am going to try and re-install with the x86 ACPI option instead of the stock ACPI option as detailed earlier in this thread and see if I can get any further.

OK, I got this to install and recognise my keyboard and trackpad and the sleep trick worked a treat during the install allowing me to complete the install and use Mac OS X but now after a reboot, the sleep trick doesnt work at all, the laptop is completely locked up and nothing I have tried wakes it up. I guess a bit more reading is required to see if I can dig into the logs and see what is happening?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here can report if the OS system detect any express card/expansion inserted? if not; could be solved via driver fix/kext or something? Tnx in advance!

Update;

Well my system recognized a Kyocera wireless PC card, it works just perfect!

Hello Pcguy, thank you for all your help. i've just installed iatkos 5i using the same options as you. everything is working fine so far. i just chose sleepdisplay on the upper right hand corner in the system preferences. now i need to fix the sound and wireless problem. can you please tell me how i fix them. i have a dell 1395 wireless. can you please send me the drivers i need. i really appreciate your help. thank you.

See this thread in the beginning to fix sound and wireless problems. You'll need HDA Patcher 1.6, the extracted Codec in this thread and the updated wireless driver. Copy the wireless driver to the extensions folder and repair the permission. I assume that you know how to copy and repair file permissions. If not, please learn the basic Mac stuff first. Hope that helps!

Hi, I had just installed succesfully iAtkOS 5i on my Dell 1318 yesterday. I'm completly new at Mac.

I had the black screen issue, but i followed the pcguy guide and solved it :(

but now i got the wifi and audio issue..and i don't know hot to solve it, and i really need it.

i tried the IO80211Family.kext install, but nothing happened.. i guess i'm not doing it right, but i don't know what i'm missing for! also tried the HDA Patcher with pcguy's code, but only i get was "Detected unsopported SigmaTel Codec" message on the AppleHDAPatcher screen.

btw, i installed Dell Laptop Post-Install soft, and it got worse.. video aceleration and ps/2 not working.

I don't know what else to do, please help me!

I really need my wifi working as soon as posible!

thanks.

ps: excuse me for my english, not my native languaje x)

Ok, i just left osx86 behind..

i got the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945abg, and there's no stable drivers yet. i tried to install the unestable one, and system crashed everytime..

and i'm not able to work under an os without wifi capabilities

so, i just gotta wait iwidarwin team develop stable drivers, and try again.. or get a usb or express-card wifi, but i can't buy one by now.. so, i will wait for a driver-miracle.

thnaks anyway, specially to pcguy, that helped me just writing his experience with his inspiron 1318 (the same i got)

;)

bye!

Gaptone, take time to read the thread furthermore; maybe the driver issue that you encounter have been solved on a previous post. Anyways try deleting the drivers and reinstalling from dell post installer, the problematic drivers (kext) are on /system/Library/SystemConfiguration/ & Mac os x/library/extensions...Hope it works for you, GL! :rolleyes:

For those of you who are having trouble with the display, please make sure you DON'T PULL THE POWER PLUG TOO EARLY right after the screen goes blank. Give it an extra 10 or 20 seconds to finish up what it was doing. This will save you time and frustration. And also if 5 minutes 40 seconds waiting time does not work for you try something longer like 6 minutes. I have a user who was not able to get installed right and finally was able to get it going simply with longer waiting time and waited 20 seconds before pulling the power plug.

Well, I'm onto my next project to set up my Dell Vostro 220 desktop. I'd like to have a permanent Mac OS without mutiple OSes in the same drive. So the best way to do that is to use a desktop PC with two hard drives. One will run Windows OS and the other will run Mac and it's easy to switch between the two with the F12 key for Dell system.

One lesson I learned through all this is if the installation process fails, try a different install version. Be patient, learn some new Mac commands and as always post your fixes and whatever else may help other users.

I got my problem solved with the error message "Before you begin There is no keyboard connected to your computer. Please connect your keyboard". Just re-partitionate your hard drive and divide it into 3 or 4 different partitions with the first partition formatted in Mac extended (journaled) and the second partition to be formatted the same as a back-up image for your main Mac partition. The rest of partitions can be formatted as MS-DOS or NTFS for Windows XP and DATA.

I spent 2 days experiencing the installation Mac ATKOS v5i on my Dell 1318 with Pcguy's great tips and have learned a lot from him. Thanks again, Pcguy. Golden rules to follow:

1. Start installation with the DVD iATKOS v5i

2. Divide your hard drive into 3 partitions or more. As for Mac installation, format it in Mac extended journaled by using DISK UTILITY when boots up with Mac iATKOS v5i. Spare 2 partitions for this type of format.

3. Follow exactly the detailed list of what components to be chosen in Customize mode provided by Pcguy. Do not choose NTFS-3G as it will pop up an annoying message when you plug in the portable USB hard drive.

4. When it comes to first restart, remember to unplug the power core as soon as the screen goes blank for 5 minutes 40 seconds and plug it back again. The screen will reappear with the options to choose which country you are in and so on.

5. When it comes to the registration, press Ctrl + Q or Alt + Q to trigger a drop-down window for which you choose Skip to pass the registration. Next screen will ask you to enter your name and password. Do not forget your username and password as you need to authenticate when you want to install software into Mac.

6. Solve the problem with sleep display: download the Sleep Display, unzip and drag it to desktop, open Applications, then drag Sleep Display into the window. Go to Setting Preferences, click Desktop & Screen Saver icon. In the new pop-up window, click the button 'Hot Corners...', choose one of the four options: top left corner, bottom left corner, top right corner or bottom right corner to switch it to Sleep Display as per your convenience with the touch pad.

7. Solve the wireless problem: Download the updated file IO80211Family.kext.zip uploaded on the first page of this thread by Pcguy. Open the folder Applications/System/Library/Extensions. Drag the IO80211Family.kext.zip to the desktop, unzip it and drag it into the abovementioned folder. Next, open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal if you don't know where it is located), type Pcguy's commands:

sudo su (enter password you inserted previously)

CD /system/libraby/extensions

chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext (press ENTER key)

chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext (press ENTER key)

If you are lazy, then just drag the file in the folder Application/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext after each command you type in Terminal and press Enter key (remember to give a space before you drag the file into the cursor right after each command you type. Reboot your laptop and your wireless problem is solved.

8. Sound issue: download AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 as per Pcguy's link and the file 'dell1318codec.txt', then drag the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 to the desktop (unzipped one), after that drag the 'dell1318codec.txt' onto the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 on the desktop. Finally wait until it is successfully patched. Enjoy the sound back on. :-)

9. Use Disk Utility to back up the successful Mac partition on the second partition on your hard drive:

Open Disk Utility, click on the existing hard drive, click 'Restore' tag. Now drag the successful Mac partition you have just installed into the Source field, drag the second 'Mac extended journaled' partition into Destination field. Click Restore and wait until the process is completed.

10. Bravo. you now can experience further installation or exploration on your existing Mac partition. Don't worry if it cracks. You still a backup image to restore it back to the original state.

HAPPY HACKINTOSH!!!

Ok, i just left osx86 behind..

i got the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945abg, and there's no stable drivers yet. i tried to install the unestable one, and system crashed everytime..

and i'm not able to work under an os without wifi capabilities

so, i just gotta wait iwidarwin team develop stable drivers, and try again.. or get a usb or express-card wifi, but i can't buy one by now.. so, i will wait for a driver-miracle.

thnaks anyway, specially to pcguy, that helped me just writing his experience with his inspiron 1318 (the same i got)

:D

bye!

Your best option is to purchase a new Dell wireless card. Installing the wireless card is easy. Just remove the cover in the back, take the old card off then plug in the new one. Search for Dell 1390 wireless card on Ebay. It will work with the current driver. Forget the Intel Pro wireless. Even if you can get it to work, it's not very stable. Spend $17 on Ebay and get yourself the 100% working card. The instruction for installing a new wireless card from Dell is here http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:2MtMGA...t=firefox-a#104