Dell Inspiron 1318 got it working

pcguy

180 posts in this topic

I tried installing with iPC 10.5.6 but it wouldn't work. It was a version I downloaded about a month ago. Showed the Apple logo, then gave me an error message. It had worked perfectly on my girlfriend's Inspiron E1405. Is there a newer version of the 10.5.6 edition that you're trying?

I tried installing with iPC 10.5.6 but it wouldn't work. It was a version I downloaded about a month ago. Showed the Apple logo, then gave me an error message. It had worked perfectly on my girlfriend's Inspiron E1405. Is there a newer version of the 10.5.6 edition that you're trying?

This version is PPF5. I think you need to install it without selecting the X3100 driver first. I have a link to this guy who was able to get his Inspiron 1525 working so you may want to give that a try.

http://macyourpc.com/2009/03/10/dell-inspi...tosh-ipc-guide/

Universal PPF5 is the iPC 10.5.6 version I tried, but it wouldn't even let me into the installation prompts. It froze with an error message when it was trying to boot. Showed the Apple logo for a split second and then the freeze. I tried to mess around with BIOS settings, but that didn't do anything. Have you gotten it to work successfully with the Dell 1318?

Universal PPF5 is the iPC 10.5.6 version I tried, but it wouldn't even let me into the installation prompts. It froze with an error message when it was trying to boot. Showed the Apple logo for a split second and then the freeze. I tried to mess around with BIOS settings, but that didn't do anything. Have you gotten it to work successfully with the Dell 1318?

Have you tried "cpus=1" at the prompt? I gave my brother the laptop so I don't have it to try installing OSX again. He'll be back, however, at the end of May. So I am going to try in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone here tried installing using Retail Mac OS?

If yes, can you post all the kexts you used. I believe most of them should be similiar to xps m1330 that are on Wingrunr21's thread. Can you post which ones differ? And what kext to use for video or will installing just the DSTD.aml will be sufficient?

I have a Dell 1318 with Triple Boot of Mac Os X 10.5.7 (iAtkos 5i) / Windows 7 RC1 and Ubuntu. Now with OS X the only problem I have right now is getting the Sound working properly. For some reason it doesn't want to accept the kext I put in and replaces it with its normal one. And also the microphone built in doesn't want to work and the ethernet cable with is ID 14e4, 1713 doesn't work either. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Dabluest's DSDT trick worked great! Thanks man. This solved all my shutdown / restart problems. And also no more wallpaper issues either.

One problem I had was that when I tried to move the dsdt.aml file to the root, it wouldn't let, saying "This file cannot be replaced" because it is invisible. Using one of his earlier posts, I went through Terminal to let me show all hidden files, found the 'invisible' dsdt.aml file in the root, deleted it, and then replaced it with Dabluest's aml. Voila.

Anyone tried updating to 10.5.7? I hear it helps the battery last longer.

Kunal2139, Glad to hear video fix worked for you.

In regards to 10.5.7, it works fine for the most part (there are a few things that will need to be fixed/deleted after you upgrade though), except for hot plugging for USB storage devices (still trying to nail this one down). As far as better battery life, I haven't fully tested yet, but I only heard this working for netbook (Atom) users.

• 2 weeks later...

What steps do I need to take to prep my hard drive for installation? I have gparted livecd for partitioning - but it unfortunately doesn't let me partition hfs+.

Currently the installer disk utility doesn't even detect my hard drive. It attempts to gather disk information then just gives up. I've tried with my BIOS set to both ATA and AHCI.

Thanks!!!

What steps do I need to take to prep my hard drive for installation? I have gparted livecd for partitioning - but it unfortunately doesn't let me partition hfs+.

Currently the installer disk utility doesn't even detect my hard drive. It attempts to gather disk information then just gives up. I've tried with my BIOS set to both ATA and AHCI.

Thanks!!!

Are you trying to do a dual boot? You can use Windows command prompts itself to partition the hard drive. I used Vista. The first post in this thread has a great guide on it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39253

Good luck.

Are you trying to do a dual boot? You can use Windows command prompts itself to partition the hard drive.

Thanks for the link - no dice though =(. Same problem - the disk utility isn't showing my hard drive.

When I run the -v command I notice it has the error along the lines of unable to mount disk0s1/disk0s2. That explains why I can see the hard drive in the system profiler but not the disk utility. I opened a terminal and tried to mount manually but wasn't able to. Hrmm.

My install's being very strange. It worked fine for the last few weeks. Now everytime I try to boot in, it gets the Apple boot logo and the wheel turns forever, it just doesn't get into the OS.

Anyone have that issue?

Also, has anyone tried retail Leopard with the Boot 132 CD? Seems like it would be the cleanest install.

Thanks!

My install's being very strange. It worked fine for the last few weeks. Now everytime I try to boot in, it gets the Apple boot logo and the wheel turns forever, it just doesn't get into the OS.

Anyone have that issue?

Also, has anyone tried retail Leopard with the Boot 132 CD? Seems like it would be the cleanest install.

Thanks!

Are you running the latest update of Leopard? At what point is it hanging when you boot using verbose mode? I was on 10.5.7 and had no problems except for issues with USB mounting, which led me back to 10.5.6. Other than that i've had no problems with either version.

Are you running the latest update of Leopard? At what point is it hanging when you boot using verbose mode? I was on 10.5.7 and had no problems except for issues with USB mounting, which led me back to 10.5.6. Other than that i've had no problems with either version.

I'm on 10.5.6, still no go getting into the OS. I had USB mounting issues on 10.5.6 too. Maybe I haven't used the right USB installer package. But if I connect a USB drive to my laptop while I'm in the OS, it doesn't mount. If I start up the computer with the USB drive already plugged in, then it'll show up. Very weird. Are you on retail or iAtkos?

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Booting at the boot prompt with -v flag, what's the last line say after it hangs? Coincidentally, I had a similar problem earlier today after upgrading back to 10.5.7 (endless spinning wheel at the boot screen) I tracked mine down to the Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext (forgot about that one) and ApplePS2Nub.kext (or something like that) inside AppleACPIPlatform.kext. We'll need to know at what point it's hanging on your system in order to help further.

Also, look at this thread on some possible answers to your USB mounting problems (it's helped me in the past).

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I'm currently running on iAtkos 10.5.4 upgraded to 10.5.7 (USB mounting working flawlessly! Yay.)

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Booting at the boot prompt with -v flag, what's the last line say after it hangs? Coincidentally, I had a similar problem earlier today after upgrading back to 10.5.7 (endless spinning wheel at the boot screen) I tracked mine down to the Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext (forgot about that one) and ApplePS2Nub.kext (or something like that) inside AppleACPIPlatform.kext. We'll need to know at what point it's hanging on your system in order to help further.

Also, look at this thread on some possible answers to your USB mounting problems (it's helped me in the past).

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I'm currently running on iAtkos 10.5.4 upgraded to 10.5.7 (USB mounting working flawlessly! Yay.)

Sweet thanks! After I deleted the DontStealMacOS.kext, it's been letting me into the OS fine. I even upgraded to 10.5.7 and everything seems to be working fine besides the USB mounting issue. What did you do to get that to work? The pkg installer on the thread you linked didn't work for me.

Well I had went back to 10.5.6 where USB auto mounting was working and then decided to try updating with the combo updater, unlike last time when I just used Software Update. After fixing my boot issues, I had USB mounting working, but prior to that, back in 10.5.6, I had deleted the IOUSBMAssStorageClass.kext, in hopes that the newly installed one from 10.5.7 would work like it was supposed to.

If you'd like, I uploaded my kexts if you want to see if they'll fix your USB problem. Just delete the 2 files in your extensions folder (back them up first though) then use kexthelper to add mine. Reboot and see if you can hotplug your USB devices.

Well I had went back to 10.5.6 where USB auto mounting was working and then decided to try updating with the combo updater, unlike last time when I just used Software Update. After fixing my boot issues, I had USB mounting working, but prior to that, back in 10.5.6, I had deleted the IOUSBMAssStorageClass.kext, in hopes that the newly installed one from 10.5.7 would work like it was supposed to.

If you'd like, I uploaded my kexts if you want to see if they'll fix your USB problem. Just delete the 2 files in your extensions folder (back them up first though) then use kexthelper to add mine. Reboot and see if you can hotplug your USB devices.

Thanks for posting the kexts! Unfortunately they didn't work for me. But that thread you linked helped a lot. Problem was that my system.kext was version 9.7.0 and my kernel version was 9.5.0 so they weren't matching. I just googled for a voodoo 9.5.0 system.kext and installed that using kext helper and voila, USB mounting works. All good now!

Go into setup options and boot in verbose mode, worked for me. Froze otherwise.

Now if I knew all the options to pick.... been awhile since I've had to installed (hd died after a year so taking the opportunity to see if new discs address any issues I had (Sleep and headphone output not muting the speakers)).

EEK, trying this a second time (going to follow that 1525 guide) and getting the kernel panic now. STRANGE! will report back when i figure out how to really fix it.

Hey everyone, after reinstalling windows whilst waiting for my 1395 wifi card to arrive, I've tried reinstalling iatkos 5i...

And I get to:

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00402EB5): "ACPI: AcpiOsFree"@/Volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/iokit/Kernel/IOLib.cpp:724

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

<a full backtrace is in here>

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable module sin backtrace (with dependencies):

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4)@0x2e2d5000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0)@0x2e2eb000

and then it crashes after it tells me the kernel version..

Tried with multiple different flags, -x, -v, -f, cpus=1, cpus=2, and combinations of all of them :[

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the issue again where I can't boot into Leopard anymore. I get to the screen with the Apple logo and it tries to boot forever, but never gets anywhere. I booted with the -v flag and it hung on a command about vmnet - which I think is related to VMWare Fusion. I went through my Windows side and deleted VMWare but it still gives me the same problem. Any ideas? Anyone experienced this? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Someone is claiming they have the ethernet working on the 1318.

See post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178676

Checked the link. I'm a little skeptical, but if you have the iAtkos v7 disc you can extract files from it with the program Pacifist.

Let us know.

In other news, I've recently added a new dsdt.aml that'll help with those having sleep issues with the latest 10.5.8 update. It was compiled with the "newHPET" option so that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement will load without panicking. The only drawback is that, on my system, I lose USB unless I remove the AppleHPET.kext, which then causes AppleIntelCPUPM to kernel panic again. I'm still working on trying to resolve this, but if anyone's feeling adventurous, feel free to give it go here.

Edit: Loss of USB now fixed (see above thread).

• 2 weeks later...
Checked the link. I'm a little skeptical, but if you have the iAtkos v7 disc you can extract files from it with the program Pacifist.

Let us know.

In other news, I've recently added a new dsdt.aml that'll help with those having sleep issues with the latest 10.5.8 update. It was compiled with the "newHPET" option so that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement will load without panicking. The only drawback is that, on my system, I lose USB unless I remove the AppleHPET.kext, which then causes AppleIntelCPUPM to kernel panic again. I'm still working on trying to resolve this, but if anyone's feeling adventurous, feel free to give it go here.

Chameleon seems to always mess up my install. I installed everything, upgraded to 10.5.8, then installed Chameleon 2.0 RC 1 and the system loops infiinitely at the Apple boot screen.

-x, -s, nothing gets me in. Any ideas? I don't mind not installing Chameleon, but then I won't have USB since your fix for that involves Chameleon.

Let us know.

Attached are the Broadcom network drivers off the iAtkos v7 disc if anyone wants to try...

Broadcom_iAtkosv7.zip