OS X Live: Developers' Private Discussion

REVENGE

136 posts in this topic

ZOMG I did it. I have it working! Will post instructions soon.

Basically what I did was follow the modbin approach, modifying an exisiting install of 10.5.4, and then put it in a dmg, and follow Hagar and Rammjet in setting up boot-132 and using Darwin loader to load the dmg as the rootfs(ro).

There are still some bugs, and if anyone's managed to perfect the modbin approach, plz pm me

hi guys got some good news almost there i have a fully working kalyway leopard 10.5.2 live usb 6.09 gig though its fully upgradeable, i have a couple more bugs to work out but so far ive booted right from the usb, now since its fully operational with read and write should be able to just make some extra driver packages for different computers and kernels for boot time ive only tried it so far on my pc witch is the 945 chipset i have an acer here to im going to test it on, then i will go out and try it on different computers and internet cafe`s, ps im posting this right now running off the usb cool, so what i did is put the kalyway install on usb plus the live so at boot time u can either run the install or just push F8 and run the full operational live session boot time is about 40 seconds to desktop and i used the darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132

Snapshot_2008_11_03_01_10_50.tiff

Snapshot_2008_11_03_01_14_40.tiff

ok so ive been running os x now for about 2hrs off the usb doesnt seem to have any problems restarted twice boot up time the same shut down works fine i tried another way to to see if it would work and it did u can have r kalyway dvd and r live usb u can boot from r install dvd and still press F8 and boot to r live usb if u want to save room on r usb im using a 16 gig kingston so i have lots of room to put the install and the live session all on one but u can also just put r live session and boot dvd F8 and it goes right to r live usb but its alot nicer just booting the live usb ive tried pretty much all apps works fine tried installing also works fine, noticed the internet was working faster of the usb page loading was almost instant anyways got to get some shut eye PS tried on acer laptop worked fine just the normal probs like sound tried it at internet cafe and it booted a little bit longer boot time but it booted fine about 15 seconds more to load probly just the specs of the comp mem alot lower then mine well going to sleep for a bit

So i guess the difference between what JJ and I did is pretty substantial. What I've got is a non persistent live dvd/usbboot, that uses a disk image as the root device, and can be supplied drivers via initrd. It appears what you've got is a normal install on a usb disk. Both are useful in their ownway.

Btw, The dmg method is very similar to what imageboot will be in SL. maybe we can tweak it to do that?

grottyscreenierp6.th.jpg

Wow, nice work ;) What did you use as a base, Install DVD or modbin DVD? What did you remove? What I did was I attempted to create one based on the modbin DVD, with most of the apps and everything intact but I couldn't get it down past around 3 gigs.

Um...i'm kinda stuck, but almost there with something we can make nice.

The livedvd boots and gets to the loginscreen, but i can't login because looks like the directoryservice user files in /var/db/dslocal have to be read-write. If i put them in the ramdisk to make them read-write, ds can't find them or the root user and dies. Any ideas on how to solve this? I'm hoping that if we can get around that hurdle, ~pcwiz and Moc should be able to deploy their detection suite on this setup, and we can add in other things as well. note that because i'm using boot-132, drivers can also be provided via initrd.

right, that's what the modbin instructions suggest and that's what i just tried, good thought. Didn't work tho. I'm thinking this is something todo with the nature of the contents of dslocal. I noticed that Modbin's RamDisk bin actually copies a directory's contents, so perhaps this is failing to copy??

Anyone have this working? perhaps share a piece?

Penguin(and others): I've hashed out how the boot-132 live dvd will work, and have it mostly working...

What I would really appreciate is if you can replicate my method and try to build this thing on your own, so we can compare results and get an idea of how bugs can be ironed out of the main distro. After that we can formalize the generation of the livedvd, and play with drivers.

So...what you need to do to build a modbin-hagar-spartango dvd/usb stick(its identical to the dvd, the distro is still readonly, just easier to debug and fix):

target media = either usb stick or dvd

0. Prepare a FRESH installation of leopard on a drive, and enable root user and root autologin. You may want to clean up the install some, but the modbin guide will help with that. Note target media should not be this drive.

1. Install boot-132 and the associated boot files to the target media. Include an initrd with your system's drivers and such. Include IOHDIXController.kext[modify it and ALL of its plugins to say root instead of network-root]. Enable permissions on the target.

2. Place kernel (mach_kernel), .fseventsd , .Spotlight-V100, .Trashes from your installation onto the target media.

3. Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the target media. Place it in [media]/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

4. Do the same for /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. Copy it to /System/Library/ on the target media.

CHECK: Your target media should still be pretty empty, you haven't put the os pieces there yet.

5. Follow modbin's guide on how to prepare an osx live dvd, operating on your FRESH install: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear . BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. When your done with that, use disk utility to create a READ-WRITE disk image of the drive you did that to.

6. Convert that disk image to compressed, and save the output to the target media's /.

7. Edit Boot.plist to have:

-v rp=file:///LIVE.dmg

in kernel arguments.

8. Fix the permissions on everything if necessary.

9. Reboot and boot from target Media.

I apologize if these instructions are a bit odd... we're still bleeding edge and i assume you have done some of these thing before...i'll pub better ones later.

Penguin(and others): I've hashed out how the boot-132 live dvd will work, and have it mostly working...

What I would really appreciate is if you can replicate my method and try to build this thing on your own, so we can compare results and get an idea of how bugs can be ironed out of the main distro. After that we can formalize the generation of the livedvd, and play with drivers.

So...what you need to do to build a modbin-hagar-spartango dvd/usb stick(its identical to the dvd, the distro is still readonly, just easier to debug and fix):

target media = either usb stick or dvd

0. Prepare a FRESH installation of leopard on a drive, and enable root user and root autologin. You may want to clean up the install some, but the modbin guide will help with that. Note target media should not be this drive.

1. Install boot-132 and the associated boot files to the target media. Include an initrd with your system's drivers and such. Include IOHDIXController.kext[modify it and ALL of its plugins to say root instead of network-root]. Enable permissions on the target.

2. Place kernel (mach_kernel), .fseventsd , .Spotlight-V100, .Trashes from your installation onto the target media.

3. Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the target media. Place it in [media]/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

4. Do the same for /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. Copy it to /System/Library/ on the target media.

CHECK: Your target media should still be pretty empty, you haven't put the os pieces there yet.

5. Follow modbin's guide on how to prepare an osx live dvd, operating on your FRESH install: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear . BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. When your done with that, use disk utility to create a READ-WRITE disk image of the drive you did that to.

6. Convert that disk image to compressed, and save the output to the target media's /.

7. Edit Boot.plist to have:

-v rp=file:///LIVE.dmg

in kernel arguments.

8. Fix the permissions on everything if necessary.

9. Reboot and boot from target Media.

I apologize if these instructions are a bit odd... we're still bleeding edge and i assume you have done some of these thing before...i'll pub better ones later.

ok, i get what your saying for the most part. i'll try, and see what i get, but i can't put this full time yet, got school {censored} going on lately so this will be on the backburner for now, but around thanksgiving, i'll be able to get more accomplished!

thanks for the guide

~Penguin

Nice! now do you remember how you got there & if so can you post a clear outline/guide so it can be replicated/verified/tested? I'll admit I haven't lifted a finger on this, but a working desktop environment would make it all a lot more interesting.. screenshots even?

Yeah, I've got everything down I think. Its really just a modbin livedvd in a nice small compressed image boot setup...

I need to actually put this on a DVD though, i've been using Boot-132 on usb up til now. And though my instructions are kinda solid, I think there will be bugs...The modbin DVD method is...tricky--I don't think I deviated from it, but following it was *interesting*. I'm gonna see if i can get an install script going, as I think that might be better than doing all this manually(that was my source of trouble up until now, human fail). Meh, should be good though. I'll post screens and instructions soon...a bit busy with life.