Linksys WUSB600N working flawlessly

ziglg

64 posts in this topic

Does anybody have the same problem, that its soooooooo slow??

I need about 5 minutes to load wikipedia... and that isnt normal

i have that problem tooo

its realli slow compared to it on windows ;)

is there anything that can be done?

WUSB600N v2 disconnects immediately from Apple Airport extreme. When attempting to unload the kext I am told that there are anywhere between 4 and 41 instances in memory.

Using RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext 2009-12-30

Has anyone encountered this behavior before?

---------------------------

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p

PC EFI V 10.6

64 bit Snow Leopard 6.2

ATI 4870

• 2 weeks later...
For all WUSB600N V2 users (on 10.6.X may work on other version too):

I got my wlan dongle working with the latest Ralink driver 2.0.1.0 for RT2870. I installed it and edited the info.plist (in this version only one info.plist exists) in RT2870UsbWirelessDriver.kext (you can find it in System/Library/Extensions).

I changed idProduct to 121 in the Linksys - RT2870 - 2 section and left idVendor unchanged at 5943. Saved the file and rebuilt the cache with Kext Utility.

After a restart I had to replug the stick. Imediately the Ralink Wireless Utility popped up and showed all available networks. I'm up and running in my 5GHz wireless N network.

I only had to replug it once. After reboot the stick gets recognized and connects smoothly.

However Ralink Airport Menu doesn't work for me. Maybe there is a user out there which has a solution for this.

I hope I could help some of you out ;)

//EDIT: Maybe some of you have to go to Network Preferences and set up the new network connection. I didn't had to do this on my Hackintosh but my Eee901 needed this :) After this was done the stick was recognized by the ralink utility

Works really great on OS X 10.6.3 using an V2 dongle! Thanks a lot!

If you have Problems: Make sure you use the original IONetworkingFamily.kext!

Didn´t work with my modified version.

Sunny

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with the WUSB600N, I have version 2 and edited the info.plist file as suggested. So now I can see the Ralink Wireless Menu, but can't seem to connect to my wireless network. It sees the networks in range, but everytime I type in my password, it keeps telling me that it's disconnected.

In SysPrefs I can see it as an unplugged ethernet device, I tried adding IP & subnet etc manually and got it to connect to the network once. No internet however. Any suggestions? I'm using an Airport Extreme router with cable internet, WPA2 security.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these about a month ago just for my iphone and while you can't beat the price ($24.99) it seems to be somewhat tempermental. It will work fine for 3-4 days, then one day I'll turn on my computer and it will be installed under USB Controllers along with a much older driver (and of course not working). I just can't seem to lock it in place under Network Adaptors. None of my other USB devices have this problem. Just today I had to do a restart and wait until my computer was up and running before plugging it in. I did originally have to keep plugging it into different USB ports to get it working right on day one, and I'm on my last port so moving it to a different one is not going to help. I also did a complete hard disk wipe and reinstall and it made no difference, so I can't see blaming my computer.

When it is working it works very well and with a huge range. Placing it next to a window I can still get a good signal on my iphone while at my neighbor's house.

I suppose this is yet another example of you get what you pay for, as I hear Apple's Airport works perfecty first time everytime, but last I checked it's also about 4-5 times as expensive.

I have a problem with the WUSB600N, I have version 2 and edited the info.plist file as suggested. So now I can see the Ralink Wireless Menu, but can't seem to connect to my wireless network. It sees the networks in range, but everytime I type in my password, it keeps telling me that it's disconnected.

In SysPrefs I can see it as an unplugged ethernet device, I tried adding IP & subnet etc manually and got it to connect to the network once. No internet however. Any suggestions? I'm using an Airport Extreme router with cable internet, WPA2 security.

Do you have the latest driver from Linksys? Mine is dated 1/18/2010 and it replaces the Ralink driver. It now says the provider is 'Linksys, a division of ....'

• 1 month later...

I've been over this thread a couple times in preparation for doing this procedure as well, and I finally did it, hooray! I'm almost completely satisfied with the result except one problem;

I can't join my own wireless network :/.

Ok, here goes;

I'm on a MacBook Pro, running Snow Leopard 10.6.4

I just got the driver from RALink's site, and the RALink Wireless Utility is Version 3.0.0.0

I followed hrvy's procedure, I only had to change the one single instance of an idProduct to 121, and it was the only Info.plist file in the general area.

I did that, ran sudo kextcache -system-caches, rebooted, and opened Network Utility. As soon as I plugged in my WUSB600N v2 it was recognized by Network Utility, and the RALink Wireless Utility opened.

It automatically joined me to an open access point in the area, and I could browse back to this thread, yay!

Problem:

If I select either my primary access point, or our Guest Network (we have a Time Machine with both Wireless interfaces configured), and click "Connect", the RALink utility crashes! :(

Our Access Point is identified as WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK authentication with TKIP+AES encryption.

A little bit of experimentation has led me to discover;

(1) In the WPS tab, clicking "Disconnect" ultimately does nothing to get me off the unencrypted access point.

(2) The Utility identified a hidden ESSID AP, and upon clicking it and clicking "Connect", asked me to input the ESSID. Not knowing what it was, I clicked cancel.

(3) It seems to crash no matter what kind of network I join. WPA (not WPA2), TKIP, WEP, etc. It seems that the WEP/WPA key input dialog is ultimately what causes the crash.

Does anyone have further insight into this version/combination of problems?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, i've tried this several times and read through this thread a hundred times. It still shows No Devices! I am running OS X 10.6.3 on a Gateway MT6728 (not sure what kind of wireless card is built in) and i have a wusb600n v2. When I run the clear cache command it says -k is no longer used. can anybody help?

• 1 month later...

There is a new version of ralink utility 3.0.0.0 and drivers 3.0.3.0

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

however i have a problem with internet!

I see a device and can connect!

everything looking good but and I cant see www.

Safari raport"Your computer is not connected..."

Any ideas?

in ethernet connection is: connected

but still same problem - no www browsing

ping any site is ok!

Ok, i've tried this several times and read through this thread a hundred times. It still shows No Devices! I am running OS X 10.6.3 on a Gateway MT6728 (not sure what kind of wireless card is built in) and i have a wusb600n v2. When I run the clear cache command it says -k is no longer used. can anybody help?

"-k no longer used" also on my terminal after entering the commands from the previous posts.

I am also having the same problem. I've followed every suggestion in the post and am not able to recognize the Linksys stick.

I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

I have a v2 dongle. Downloaded the drivers off the Ralink site. Edited the line in the .plist file to read "121" instead of "112" or "113" or whichever one was there to begin with. Ran KextUtility, rebooted, tried all the terminal commands listed originally, rebooted, and any combination of these... what happens?

I plug in the dongle. Blue LED lights on the dongle. Ralink wireless utility pops up immediately, says, "No Device!!" which, after a couple seconds, turns to "Disconnected" and the program closes.

In my Network control panel, it shows a USB ethernet device (en2) and says that a cable is unplugged from it.

I've read this thread several times and don't see an answer to this scenario, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Can someone PLEASE help me get my Dellintosh to work???

• 3 months later...

For anyone that cares, I got the dongle (V2) today working perfectly on Snow Leopard (10.6.6) using this guide: http://dossy.org/2009/11/using-a-ciscolink...n-macos-x-10-6/

The trick is to use the 2.0 drivers that the author links to, rather than the newest ralink drivers. Then follow the guide to the letter. When you're done modifying the kext, run kext utility to rebuild caches. reboot, plug stick in. should work perfectly.

• 4 months later...