Linksys WUSB600N working flawlessly

ziglg

64 posts in this topic

I got the WUSB600N working with the instructions pretty much as given. I downloaded the 12/4/2008 version of the USB 2870 driver and did the mods. Everything worked (There was the en2 thing that thought it was an unplugged ethernet cable for a while).

Problem: If I walk away from my mac for a while (usually hours), the thing disconnects. I have my Dual G5 (10.5.6) set NOT to sleep, so it isn't a wake from sleep issue. I thought I found the magic touch by disabling hard drive spin down. It stayed connected for 24 hours but that was beginner's luck. I started having the problem again. The only thing going to sleep now is the display and I haven't disabled that. It is hard to believe that would be related. On the other hand, every time it disconnects, I've been away long enough for the display to have fallen asleep. Hmmm.

When the thing disconnects, the green light is gone and the wireless utility has slowed to a crawl (spinning beachball at every mouse click). I usually have to quit, unplug/plug, and start over logging in with my WPA2 passphrase. Sometimes it will pick up my saved profile and auto login, sometime not. The thing seems to start up randomly with 2.4G, 5G, or both. I select 5G or both b/c I am logging onto a Linksys WRT600N router at 5Ghz. I have the router set with that double bandwidth thing (don't remember what it is called) at 5Ghz and normal with WEP at 2.4Ghz. The 2.4Ghz stuff (other 802.11g PCs, wireless 802.11b print server) stay connected fine so it probably isn't the router. The Dual G5 with the WUSB600N is my only 5Ghz client.

I wonder if it works better on Intel Macs. I have a Mac Mini I can try later.

Disturbing: Recently I get kernel panics when I get the disconnect, either while the Wireless Util is still crawling or after I have tried to restart it. Strange how the behavior changes with time. I thought only Windows {censored} gets corrupted like that.

Any help will be appreciated. I have emailed Ralink. Thanks. - Paul

• 1 month later...

Its Apr 7th. I just bought a new Linksys WUSB600N. After following the instructions posted, the wireless is working perfectly. I do have to say, I did notice the wireless dropped a few times, which when the controls were closed. I am not entirely sure if it had anything to do with it, but I am leaving the controls on while my machine is updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Doing a new install using Grub-DFE & Retail DVD of 10.5.6.

I tried the method in the original post using this DRIVER (top one on the Ralink page) dated 03/10/2009.

It failed to work giving me a "Extension not installed properly" message.

Removed everything and reinstalled this time I didn't modify anything or clear extensions. Just rebooted.

Worked perfect when I plugged it in.

Looking thru the info.plist files you suggest modifying I see the mods are already there and there are two listings for Linksys.

Linksys 2870 1 & Linksys 2870 2 with the mods showing under item 2.

Just to second this, the latest Ralink driver seems to work fine without modifications.

Doing a new install using Grub-DFE & Retail DVD of 10.5.6.

I tried the method in the original post using this DRIVER (top one on the Ralink page) dated 03/10/2009.

It failed to work giving me a "Extension not installed properly" message.

Removed everything and reinstalled this time I didn't modify anything or clear extensions. Just rebooted.

Worked perfect when I plugged it in.

Looking thru the info.plist files you suggest modifying I see the mods are already there and there are two listings for Linksys.

Linksys 2870 1 & Linksys 2870 2 with the mods showing under item 2.

UPDATE: The newest version of the RALink drivers already include support for this wifi USB dongle!

If you try to modify them as instructed in this guide it will not work. Just install them normally and it will work!

got this working on my sweet pink hackentosh. Check it out!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159629

• 1 month later...

Can someone post the WUSB600N kexts here?

I tried the tutorial but it still show no device detected.

Also, why does the leds (Power and Link/Act) on my WUSB600N are much dimmer when I am on mac, compared to when I am on pc? It is cause there is not enough power?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys. I just picked up one of these tonight and it is a Ver 2 unit. I cannot get it to work. The new Product ID is 0x0079. I punched these numbers into my kext and am currently not having any luck. I'll probably return this unit this week and figure out which other USB unit to try out.

suggestions on which USB dongle to buy? Its going to be connecting to an Airport Extreme. Seems like these supported adapters are starting to get old.

@brxxthe

I also just picked up the wusb600n v2 which did not work with the above configuration. I have made progress editing the kext to at least get it recognized by OS X (the blue led lights up, it does the connecting/disconnected thing). I changed the strings to match the numbers. Plagiarizing a little from ziglg, this is what I did:

1. Install this Ralink driver in OS X.

2. Use TextEdit (free software built into OS X that can edit plist files) and edit the following file: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

4. Search for "Linksys" change the integer line below from 112 to 121:

<integer>121</integer>

5. Close and save the file

6. open: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/Info.plist

Again, search for Linksys and change the integer line from 0x0071 to 0x0079:

<integer>0x0079</integer>

run any maintenance and reboot and that should get you to where I am - where the lights are on, but nobody's home.

What I'm unable to do is get the ralink software to recognize the device and make it scan for new networks and connect. I think I need to edit the software, but I don't have any experience with this kind of work.

There is another thread here where someone edited the software to work with the 2870 v1, so I am hopeful that this can be done - I just don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

Jak

• 2 months later...

My new Alfa AWUS050NH is also equipped with v.2 of the Ralink 2870. The CD only contained drivers for Panther, Tiger and Leo. The Leo driver is not working in Snow Leo. The current driver 2.0.0.0 Ralink offers on their website contains a package for Snow Leo, but that one only appears to be for the 2870 v.1.

Anyway, I just got my Alfa AWUS050NH with the 2870 v.2 working in Snow Leo 10.6.1 by taking the Snow Leo RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from Ralink's installer from their website (2.0.0.0) and adding the info.plist from the Leo RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from the CD for the Alfa AWUS050NH v.2. I attached the modded kext.

If the Linksys also uses the same 2870 v.2 there is a chance you get it working. Apply the kext with your favorite kext tool (in Snow Leo I use kext helper b7). You don't even necessarily have to restart; usually it is enough to just wait a minute until the kext is loaded and the diode flashes on the adapter. Then go into System Preferences/ Network and confirm the new network interface, then Apply.

I also confirm aqua-mac's Airport-like app for Ralink 2870 working with v.2 once the kext is loaded.

For those who have probs with disconnects: if you are running on WPA-PSK, try to connect via AES instead TKIP, or vice versa. I have made good experiences with flipping the encryption mode.

Please give some feedback if this driver works for your Ralink 2870 v.2 in Snow Leo.

RT2870_v.2_SnowLeo_USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried everything here and it won't work for me.

I have 10.5.8

I downloaded the drivers from the Ralink website. The first one I downloaded doesn't even have the second info.plist file (the one in the Resources folder) and the other driver I tried doesn't even have a Resources folder.

I also don't understand the terminal comands to use...

Please help!

• 4 weeks later...

For all WUSB600N V2 users (on 10.6.X may work on other version too):

I got my wlan dongle working with the latest Ralink driver 2.0.1.0 for RT2870. I installed it and edited the info.plist (in this version only one info.plist exists) in RT2870UsbWirelessDriver.kext (you can find it in System/Library/Extensions).

I changed idProduct to 121 in the Linksys - RT2870 - 2 section and left idVendor unchanged at 5943. Saved the file and rebuilt the cache with Kext Utility.

After a restart I had to replug the stick. Imediately the Ralink Wireless Utility popped up and showed all available networks. I'm up and running in my 5GHz wireless N network.

I only had to replug it once. After reboot the stick gets recognized and connects smoothly.

However Ralink Airport Menu doesn't work for me. Maybe there is a user out there which has a solution for this.

I hope I could help some of you out :D

//EDIT: Maybe some of you have to go to Network Preferences and set up the new network connection. I didn't had to do this on my Hackintosh but my Eee901 needed this ;) After this was done the stick was recognized by the ralink utility

Just posting to confirm that this worked fine! After the plist mod a quick reboot and the Railink utility popped up once I installed the dongle. This is with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a quad core hackintosh.

A big thanks to all who've shared their knowledge on this thread, and kudos to Ralink for making a native driver for OS X :) . If only other third party manufacturers were so enlightened ;) .

btw, I also played around with the "aqua" equivalent preferences pane as described here, but found it killed my connections and had to reinstall the driver to get back to normal again. Not sure if that's just something I'm doing wrong or what. TBH, the Ralink utility that gets installed with the driver is actually very good and infromative - it just doesn't look very mac-like...

I got my wlan dongle working with the latest Ralink driver 2.0.1.0 for RT2870. I installed it and edited the info.plist (in this version only one info.plist exists) in RT2870UsbWirelessDriver.kext (you can find it in System/Library/Extensions).

I changed idProduct to 121 in the Linksys - RT2870 - 2 section and left idVendor unchanged at 5943. Saved the file and rebuilt the cache with Kext Utility.

After a restart I had to replug the stick. Imediately the Ralink Wireless Utility popped up and showed all available networks. I'm up and running in my 5GHz wireless N network.

I only had to replug it once. After reboot the stick gets recognized and connects smoothly.

However Ralink Airport Menu doesn't work for me. Maybe there is a user out there which has a solution for this.

I hope I could help some of you out ;)

:) Thanks, I used these setting to have my WUSB600N V.2 working great. Very easy to do. Working with IPC 10.5.6. Railink Wireless Utility starts on Boot and immediatley connects to my Home Network. :D

Hey guys, just picked up a wusb600n tonight, download the RALINK RT2870, did the mods, rebooted and when I opened the usb program it says No Device!!!

Help anyone? Totally at loss here.

oh yeah, forgot to add, running ipc 10.5.6

you downloaded the latest driver 2.0.1.0 from ralink for rt2870 chipset, did the correct mod to the correct kext in the s/l/e dir and rebuilt the cache?

so i also tried another method, because i read in above posts that the latest kext does not need to be modded, so i deleted the kext, installed it again, didn't mod it, rebooted, plugged in the usb, but i'm still getting the No Device!! message, any help would be great as I'd really like internet on this thing!

I don't want to be rude but I ask you to read the whole thread properly. This thread is only 3 pages long and the solution to your problem is quoted on the third and initially posted on the second page ...

However I assume that you have a WUSB600N V2. Is that right?

:P Thanks, I used these setting to have my WUSB600N V.2 working great. Very easy to do. Working with IPC 10.5.6. Railink Wireless Utility starts on Boot and immediatley connects to my Home Network. :)

Now working with IPC 10.5.8. The only problems i have experienced are while on Automatic settings in Network it sometimes says it has a manually assigned IP (which it shoud not) and it says the DNS is 255.255.0.0 with a wierd IP. Seems to be an actual glitch with Loepard I have read on some Mac forums. Anyways I just used Manual settings with a high IP and No problems.

IPC has given new life to the Old Dell.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to be rude but I ask you to read the whole thread properly. This thread is only 3 pages long and the solution to your problem is quoted on the third and initially posted on the second page ...

However I assume that you have a WUSB600N V2. Is that right?

Hi, I'm new around here.

Having the same trouble:

Have been using WUSB600N V1 for more than 6 months. Very satisfying.

Now the children destroyed it, bought a new one, V2!

Nothing works.

Tried all the above. Except: I don't know what is meant by "clear the cache". So I didn't.

Macbookpro (Intel) (airportantenna is broken), 10.4.11

Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i have a macBook G4 with OS 10.4.11, i bought WUSB600N V2 and tried the guide in the first post. but when i run USBwirelessutility i get "No device".

i also tried this with no luck:

any ideas??

also in system preferences i have DWL G-122

thx