GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

119 posts in this topic

I can't get firewire to work. The system seems to detect it. In profiler I can see the vendor ID hex value for the firewire bus, etc, however, I can't get it to recognize any firewire devices.

I built this system for use in a home recording studio. Somehow I will need to get the firewire problem solved. Its a must. On the other hand, I'm not all that torn up over it because the onboard firewire is only 400Mbps. I'm more than willing to drop some more $ on an add-n card with 800Mbps interface.

My build:

GA-EP45-UD3P

Q6600

8GB OCZ 1066

NVidia 8600 GT 512

SATA hard drives

SATA optical drives

Water cooling CPU and GPU blocks (very quiet system)

Belkin 802.11g USB

10.5.6 retail OSX install

All interfaces except for firewire work. Dual DVI is flawless with any mixture of monitors. Case front USB and audio work. Wakes from sleep with keyboard or mouse wiggle (fast too).

Though the MB supports NIC teaming I assume OSX does not so I have not even attempted it. I did have some trouble with the jmicron SATA connectors. They seemed flakey at best so I decided to just not use them at all. Fortunately the remaining 6 connectors were just enough.

All in all, I love this MB and Titan water cooling case. It has been a very smooth build. I only wish I could figure out why firewire won't work.

A few questions, if I may:

The 8600GT, what brand and how quiet is it?

I have a 8800GTS which is fairly quiet, I'll probably end up putting a Thermalright HR-03 Plus on it and try to run passively. Would you guess that too would have good dual monitor handling?

When you put your computer in sleep, do the fans still run?

If you do solve the firewire issue, either by new card or driver fix, feel free to inform us! :)

I can't get firewire to work. The system seems to detect it. In profiler I can see the vendor ID hex value for the firewire bus, etc, however, I can't get it to recognize any firewire devices.

I built this system for use in a home recording studio. Somehow I will need to get the firewire problem solved. Its a must. On the other hand, I'm not all that torn up over it because the onboard firewire is only 400Mbps. I'm more than willing to drop some more $ on an add-n card with 800Mbps interface.

My build:

GA-EP45-UD3P

Q6600

8GB OCZ 1066

NVidia 8600 GT 512

SATA hard drives

SATA optical drives

Water cooling CPU and GPU blocks (very quiet system)

Belkin 802.11g USB

10.5.6 retail OSX install

All interfaces except for firewire work. Dual DVI is flawless with any mixture of monitors. Case front USB and audio work. Wakes from sleep with keyboard or mouse wiggle (fast too).

Though the MB supports NIC teaming I assume OSX does not so I have not even attempted it. I did have some trouble with the jmicron SATA connectors. They seemed flakey at best so I decided to just not use them at all. Fortunately the remaining 6 connectors were just enough.

All in all, I love this MB and Titan water cooling case. It has been a very smooth build. I only wish I could figure out why firewire won't work.

I have no problems with my firewire hard drives working? What types of firewire devices are you having issues with? I linked earlier on this thread to all the kexts that I had used...

I have no problems with my firewire hard drives working? What types of firewire devices are you having issues with? I linked earlier on this thread to all the kexts that I had used...

Thanks! I had somehow missed your post in all the noise.

I followed your kext list and... success!

I'm using a MOTU Traveler. That device is powered over the firewire bus in addition to supporting 42 interfaces in all. I plugged it in and was greeted with a dialog message saying Logic had detected new audio interfaces. They're all there. I couldn't be happier with this build at this point.

A few questions, if I may:

The 8600GT, what brand and how quiet is it?

I have a 8800GTS which is fairly quiet, I'll probably end up putting a Thermalright HR-03 Plus on it and try to run passively. Would you guess that too would have good dual monitor handling?

When you put your computer in sleep, do the fans still run?

If you do solve the firewire issue, either by new card or driver fix, feel free to inform us! :)

I would have preferred an EVGA. I just like the company and warranty. I happened to find a dirt cheap PNY 8600 on eBay with 512MB and dual DVI interfaces. I had been considering an 8800 series card only because they are so cheap now on eBay. I finally decided in favor of the 8600 for two reasons. First, it is sufficient for my needs as this is a studio recording rig. Second, it will consume very little power, output very little heat, and therefore introduce minimal noise. I have a GPU water block on it, but I suspect I could have handled this card passively by adding a single air intake fan on the front of my case. Currently I have 2 large slow nearly silent fans on my radiator plus the fan in my power supply. Thats it for noise. I'm not overclocking, again, the point being to keep noise to a minimum.

Well my onboard Ethernet suddenly quit. The only way to get it going is to select 10M halfduplex and I just can't seem to get it back to E100. I'm going to try and get one of the encore cards

Has any one had any success running this board?? I did a search on forum and nothing came up...

Thanks,

Jack

I love this site. Looks like there is a lot of information for new HackinTosh noobs like myself.

I have been running on this board for close to two months now. I love it. Trust me though, no board is perfect, but I would say the best two board manufacturers I have seen for HackinTosh builds have been with Gigabyte and Asus. I personally prefer the Gigabyte. I have the UD3P board and the only challenges I had up front was with patching the sound. My biggest frustration (oddly enough) was the onboard NICs. Although they seemed to work perfectly for browsing the Internet, etc. Problems with bonjour creeped up when trying to play around with my Apple TV. My Apple TV was very difficult to get pulled into iTunes. I then read that there is a problem with the onboard NICs on this MB with Bonjour. It was recommended on the OSX86project.org site to go with the Netgear GA311 Gigabyte PCI NIC which I did. Vwalaaaaaa..... problem solved. The only other frustration I am dealing with is to get System Profiler to recognize my hardware correctly and About this Mac to recognize my Processor which is an E8400 recognized as a 4GHz processor even though it's a 3GHz. I guess I shouldn't complain about that, should I. Also I highly recommending downloading a program like XBench. My system is extremely fast and exceeds the performance of the fastest iMAc 24" model.

BTW, I used the Leopard Retail Install. Purchased a copy of 10.5.6 to support Apple. Much rather spend $130 for a stable, true OS then shell out for Microsoft Vista {censored}!!!!

the method I followed was on the auzigog blog

You can find it here:

http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/

This was an Excellent Guide.

Lessons learned and advice that carried me through the process:

Use an onboard Netgear GA311 (applies if you are working with iTunes and an Apple TV)

Purchase the Economy Pack (Leopard 10.5.6, iLife 09, and iWork 09 - all bundled for $170)

I had purchased them individually.

Purchase and use ONLY SATA hard drives and DVD drives

There are some specific bios settings to make sure that are in place. The guide above explains this.

My setup:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Memory: Corsair XMS2 - 8GB - setup at the moment as 800MHz

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo - E8400

GFX: evga nVidia GForce 9400GT - Dual Display is working amazingly well!!!!!

DVD: Samsung 22X SATA drive

HD: Hitachi 500GB - (Western Digital Blue Series works well - the iMacs use the Western Digital drives)

Bluetooth: Use a Zoom Bluetooth dongle along with a Rocketfish Bluetooth Mouse (purchased at Best Buy) Awesome Mouse that blows away the Mighty Mouse.

Sony OptiArc - BluRay DVD drive recognized well by the Hackintosh, but unfortunately at the moment 10.5.6 will not play commercial DVDs - only Windows Vista/XP will work with this.

Case - Thermaltake v9 - Amazing Case - just purchased.

The motherboard is the heart of this system along with the processor and I have to say that I have been extremely happy with it. The only problem remaining is getting System Profiler to work which I would LOVE to resolve if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thats bizarre.

Do you have smbiosresolver.kext installed?

I ask because that resolved the UUID error in the console for me and also fixed System Profiler so that it would display correct info. These were the last 2 issues I was having and now makes my machine as close to 100% Mac compatible as I think it can get.

I went ahead and added another 4 gigs ram to the system for a total of 8. Maybe I should check system sleep sometime.

Perhaps its worth checking into smbiosresolver (if you haven't ) for the audio/system sleep issue?

Broken,

Thx so much for the bit of information you just shared.

I have a close setup to you and my HackinTosh has been working very well... I do find the sound ouput to be rather loud. I have to turn my volume down around 50%.

I am also having the same UUID problems.

Where can i find the kext for the SMBios fix.

I believe that will also correct my System Profiler problem. I dont think auzigog wrapped that up in his UD3P package.

BTW, I also followed his guide and after working with it for a couple of days was able to get my system up and running. GREAT guide to follow for a retail install. I use 10.5.6.

Thanks again.

kmj1268

Retail Install 10.5.6 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | Intel Pentium Dual Core e8400 @ 4GHz (OCd) | 8 Gigabytes Corsair XMS2 800 DDR2 Ram | EVGA Geforce 9400 GT | Hitachi 500 GB Hard drive | Samung 22x DVDRW | Thermaltake v9 case and 450 watt OCZ StealthStream PSU

Anyone running into any gigabit ethernet issues?

Both Nics on my UD3P work fine, but gigabit ethernet isn't nearly as fast as it should. For the most part reading from or writing to my Windows Home server machine I can only manage about 35 megabytes a sec. Sometimes it briefly shoots up to 50 or 60, but then drops back to 25 to 35 megs/sec.

Same machine with Vista manages 65 megs+ or better.

Is this just a 10.5.6 issue or just poor performance dealing with SMB in general?

I had to abandon my onboard NICs and install a Netgear GA311 as recommended in the OSX86project.org site for the 10.5.6 compatibility guide. This card was recommended in the network NICs section at the end.

Since then, my problems with Apple TV have been resolved. I have noticed a difference. The card is a very popular NIC card that can be picked up for around $25. Staples, Wal*Mart, BestBuy, and MicroCenter carry it. I imagine it can easily be picked up online as well.

Hope this helps...

• 2 weeks later...

can someone post the bios configs for this motherboard?

i'm booted iPC final in verbose mode and i always get 'still waiting for root device' error and can't even enter the setup interface..

Someone experienced the same issue?

I already changed the IDE DVD from master to slave and slave to master but still no luck,,

this DVD drive works because i've already installed other times with it.

please post your bios configs..

thanks

I would also like to know the BIOS settings that people are using. I've done alot of trial and error with this board and after following the RETAIL install guide mentioned here:

http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/

I am up and running with all the lastest updates installed.

My only problems are these:

Shutdown/Restart do not work completely requiring a forced power off.

Internal SATA Hard Drives have option to eject them - how do I get rid of that?

I still have to use the bootloader method from the CD from that guide. I cannot get any bootloader that I install to the drive itself to run no matter what I do.

Here is my configuration:

GA-EP45-UD3P

Q9550

8GB GSKILL 6400

ATI HD4870 Asus Black Knight

x2 64GB SSD Drives -> Connected to JMicron Controllers (Purple) (This is where I installed OSX for one drive will install Windows 7 on the other)

x5 Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives -> Connected to ICH10R Controller (Yellow) I will have a few software RAIDs setup via OSX in RAID 1 for data redundancy

SATA optical drive -> Connected to ICH10R (Yellow)

At this point I suspect that it's because of my odd configuration (Main drives on JMicron controllers) that I cannot boot from normal bootloaders. I'm going to try a few kexts from cwall's package to see if that fixes the shutdown problems.

• 2 weeks later...
x2 64GB SSD Drives -> Connected to JMicron Controllers (Purple) (This is where I installed OSX for one drive will install Windows 7 on the other)

....(Main drives on JMicron controllers) that I cannot boot from normal bootloaders.

This is exactly the problem.

Save yourself a lot of unnecessary hassle and just use the normal SATA ports 0 and 1, which work fine for an OSX install on this hardware.

Does anyone have problems with their clock going out of sync? My clock is 3s/minute slow. Anyone else?

Sounds like the old problem with 45nm CPUs and an older kernel, like from an earlier version of Kalyway or another distro. If you're using a 'distro' install of OSX, update it to something installing 10.5.6.

• 2 weeks later...

I would wait a little while to do the 10.5.7 update - it killed my sound! The devices is still showing (0x1458A102), but no available devices in "System Profiler". Any ideas? It doesn't look like it changed any of the audio kexts...

I would wait a little while to do the 10.5.7 update - it killed my sound! The devices is still showing (0x1458A102), but no available devices in "System Profiler". Any ideas? It doesn't look like it changed any of the audio kexts...

Reapply whichever audio patch you used initially.

Reapply whichever audio patch you used initially.

As much as i would like for that to be the case, i was loading AppleHDA.kext from /Extras anyway, so the correct version was loading. Went back and tried your approach to changing the AppleHDA.kext in the /S/L/E folder and sam results... So, same version loads no matter what. macgirl also posted in another thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=127819&view=findpost&p=1155116):

HDAenabler needs edit to work on 10.5.7

actual HDAenabler info.plist says:

CODE

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>6.9.9</string>

need to say:

CODE

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>7.9.9</string>

• 2 weeks later...

hmm...i nevr had to edit my hdakext....i just backed up my extensions folder from 10.5.6, updated to 10.5.7 using standalone installer 442mb, then reboot twice. Sound dint work, so i copied my hda kext from my 10.5.6 extensions folder back in and it worked for me...

I'm on UD3P vanilla, chameleon 2

I edited /Extras/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext to 7.9.9 as suggested.

Made sure permissions were root:wheel/755, just in case.

Removed and rebuilt /Extra/Extensions.mkext

My audio still isn't working. I also was using LegacyHDAController.kext and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext. It prevents all of the error messages.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I had to revert to previous AppleHDA.kext

SAVE a backup of this /S/L/E kext before updating to 10.5.7

or you can find an 889a patched kext online that was working before 10.5.7

I am still using the legacy kexts, and I did keep HDAEnabler modified to say 7.9.9

My audio is recognized again, and I still don't get the stupid error messages in the console log that you get without the legacy kexts.

• 2 weeks later...
Has any one had any success running this board?? I did a search on forum and nothing came up...

Thanks,

Jack

I'm having a pretty good experience with this board but the only problem is that the sound is quite fiddly to get working (I still haven't managed after about 3 days!!) But EVERYthing else runs perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What kind of PSU do you have? It could be a power issue: crappy PSU or no EPS cable.

I know what i did :) I connected E-SATA2 cable to PCI-E2 connector and then tried to turn on my pc and my WD Raptor 150GB(10K RPM) burned :( {censored}!!!

Ah, okay, now it's clear. I won't blame you since I burned an IDE HDD with a Molex not connected deep enough, but you must have been tired that day! :)

About the EP45-UD3P, I noticed that I can't wake it up from sleep after a whole night. It won't work, but it does for a shorter period of time, even two or three hours.

And when using reset button, it reboots every two seconds until you shut the power supply button down.