MAC BOOK PRO CLONE

DrX_UaCaRi

15 posts in this topic

So as requested, and as i think this is may be a nice step to make Os X fully compatible with standard machine.

I will post my experience, this topic is a research purpose topic and i know people may ask why i didn't finish the OSX live project first :P , Let's say i've been very busy, and I don't like to be receive legal notifications :P ... because if there is a lot of people here that's are students, home users, etc... Let's just says there are some people who are professional and can't risk their company to that kind of things. I'm not sure to know how far this discovery can go and i will just say that is may better to save this page when it exist :dev: .

First who is the so called MacBook Pro clone??????????????????????????

Parckard Bell EasyNote V7812

Here the main specification of the machine (Sorry for french but the Machine seem to be sold only here)

Technologie Mobile Intel® Centrino® Duo

- Processeur Intel® Core™ Duo T2300 (Mémoire cache / Bus : 2 Mo / 667 Mhz)

- Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11 a/b/g)

SYSTEME D’EXPLOITATION

Microsoft® Windows® XP Edition Familiale

ECRAN

Type / Taille : Matrice active TFT / 15,4’’ Diamond View

Résolution : WXGA (1280 x 800 pixels)

MEMOIRE VIVE

Taille : 1024 Mo

Type : DDR 2

STOCKAGE

Disque dur : 100 Go*

Lecteur 4 en 1 : MMC / SD / MS / MS Pro

Graveur de DVD Dual : DVD+R9 : 2.4x ;

Mode DVD+R/RW : 8x / 4x / 8x ;

Mode DVD-R/RW : 8x / 4x / 8x

SON

Contrôleur son 16 bits stéréo : intégré

Hauts-parleurs : 2 enceintes

VIDEO

Carte vidéo : ATI Radeon X1600 HyperMemory

Mémoire vidéo : Prise en charge de 128 à 512 Mo

Sortie Télévision : Oui – S/Video

Port IEEE 1394 : 1

COMMUNICATION

Bluetooth : Class 2, v1.2

Carte mini-PCI : 802.11 a/b/g

Modem / fax : 56 Kbps V92

Port réseau : 10/100 Mbps

DIVERS

Batterie : li-ion (6 cellules)

Dimension (L x P x H) en mm : 355 x 250 x 28-33

Poids : 2.9 Kg

Ports, connexions : 1 port VGA, 1 sortie casque, 1 entrée micro, 4 ports USB 2.0, 1 port Express Card S54

Microphone : Intégré

Souris : TouchPad

Clavier : 87 touches

SACOCHE

Vendue séparément

* Dont 8 Go alloués au système de restauration. Cet espace peut être libéré en créant un DVD à l’aide de l’utilitaire « Master DVD Creator » fourni.

« Celeron, Celeron Inside, Centrino, Centrino logo, Core Inside, Intel, Intel logo, Intel Core, Intel Inside, Intel Inside logo, Intel SpeedStep, Intel Viiv, Intel Xeon, Itanium, Itanium Inside, Pentium et Pentium Inside sont des marques déposées ou enregistrées d'Intel Corporation ou de ses filiales, aux Etats-Unis et dans d'autres pays. » .

This is from Packard Bell French site (please no post about Pacbard not selling in Us etc....)

As an attachement a report form Nero info Tool if someone know a good app who can report more info just tell with links:

Config_V7812.TXT

This Notebook is not mine, it's a special command from one of my client. He wants a great laptop who can run Os X. I've told him that this may be potentially illegal, etc.... It's says i've bought a 99 Tiger Package, i've use only 70 so i think this is not a big deal of using an alternate version of tiger.

So the quest was this : finding a laptop that can almost perfectly match the MBP.

First machine choosen was the Asus A6JA-Q017H (here is the spec)

II've bought that machine (eposition model but had to sent it back beacause of some Damm dead pixel and since the machine doesn't exist anymore.......I didn't know if the Bios was EFI) It's was very hard to find beacuse it's was a special offer of a departement store with great spec webcam etc... but it was out of stock... and it disapear form catalog now.

So since i was disapointed by that i was shearching another machine with MBP matching spec. with low price.

SO i found a Fujistu-Siemens Amilo (here)

It was cheap and the spec was little diferent but not too much so i paid 50€ to reserve it and wait to go with my client the next morming to buy it.

When we arrive at the Store i've show Him the 3 machine i was thinking of : Acer for 1499 euros, Packard Bell for 1399 euros and Fujistu for 1199 euros.

The Dilema was huge since it's quite impossible to figure what machine will work. I already know that Wifi mau be a problem but since that client use ethernet network it was not a big issue. This main purpose of the machine is to play with Ilife 06 :P .

The Acer had a bluetooth funny phone Z2114283G.jpg

So i ask the vendor to power up the machine to make my final choice: the acer and the Packard bell power up , the fujistu not so the guy try i've try the machine was burn, and i've notice i was heavy with no battery,

So the choice beacame between the ACER and Packard Bell.

It's hard to understand that Packard seem to be always the wrong choice.? but the Graphic was great (in shop i was told that the Acer get 512 mb hypermemory and the PB 128 mb (a bios update gave me the 512 :P but i will explain that later).

So i tought why not the PB, since it's cheaper and seem to be closer to the MBP.

So as a real Computer Addict, What the first thing i've made oppenning the box?

I' ve read the manual in 5 sec, saw there was no Recovery disk, and the only cd was an Aol promo subsciption cd. So i've remenbered that you need to create the restore disc as your own. So i 've powered the machine enter the bios of course (and first saw there is something unsual with that bios but i was not aware about the discovery i've made later) saw that it's load very fast. I need to fullfill a lot a form from crosoft and PB, need to bypass norton configatution, metaboli, config, skype, msn, encarta, word (Easy setup they says) and Made the recovery Disc. As soon that disc was finished i reboot on the disc and test it. It was seem to work so i tought Let's party begin..........

So next step was opening the machine. Why? because i love to void warranty, and love to see what inside.

Here some photo about inside the devil troath in the next post.

IMPORTANT ADVICE DO NOT TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN, I'M MIGHT BE CRAZY BUT I'M KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

dscn09244fr.th.jpg

Front view and my two Assistants.

dscn09253yl.th.jpg

Rear view

dscn09548gf.th.jpgdscn09555gx.th.jpgdscn09564zg.th.jpgdscn09577uq.th.jpg

Sides views

dscn09605xv.th.jpg

Eco Bouton (Hardware Power management of the proc)

dscn09263br.th.jpg

Battery

dscn09278hm.th.jpg

HDD disasembling

dscn09282wr.th.jpg

HDD case, in fact the purpose of the picture is to find what is the rainbow connector, it's was always unplug but it's may be used for something

dscn09296zs.th.jpg

In fact PB is nice because opening the comp is very easy. May be is due to the fact they have lot of problems in the past and the thecnical staff wanted a machine that can be opened fast :P

dscn09330oq.th.jpg

General view

dscn09361mi.th.jpg

RAM slots

dscn09372iq.th.jpg

RAM modules 2x512Mb

dscn09386nr.th.jpg

RAM empty slots

dscn09394ir.th.jpg

Wifi mini pci card (Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)

dscn09431az.th.jpg

Nice discovery 2 minipci slots !!!

dscn09448pa.th.jpg

EFI bios chip or TPM chip? can someone confirm that ?

dscn09453kz.th.jpgdscn09465ht.th.jpg

Fan sytem for procesor, graphic card, and chipset

dscn09475dh.th.jpg

The mains cores

dscn09496is.th.jpg

ATI x1600 chipset

dscn09507jy.th.jpg

Intel Mobile 945PM Express Chipset I think the Intel ICH7-M South Bridge is hidden by the plastic somewhere but i don't open it too much :P

dscn09514ne.th.jpgdscn09537ot.th.jpg

Core duo 2300

dscn09528gu.th.jpg

Socket

Conclusion of that part is the laptop is quite easy to open and make some upgrade like HDD, RAM, PROCESSOR, Wifi card and and feature with the other mini pci slot, so this is great

You can find more info on that machine here sorry it's french but understandable:

http://support.packardbell.com/fr/mypc/?PibItemNr=PB51M00002

It's may be worng something like for the DVD-RW drive wich they say it's liteon but in fact it's Phillips.

Stay tuned for the next Part the EFI BIOS

Edited by Hagar

Does this laptop support EFI? If so perhaps you should considering flashing the MacBookPro's EFI-ROM on it.

i thing i already mess up too much the warranty, but why not and yes the laptop is EFI

Who says this machine supports EFI ? Couldn't find any proof of that. Even on the packard bell support site you can download BIOS updates and no EFI updates.

BIOS and EFI are not the same, but they intend to do the same.

To ask the obvious question, if this notebook is EFI, then I wonder how THEY got windows booting on it? (Makes me wonder if Packard Bell should have won that competition :-)) Seriously though, they must have some sort of patch that isn't the xonmac.

PS. I also love how in French, Microsoft Windows is listed as the System d'Exploitation.

It's been several days that i'm working on the EFI article but it's something huge and with not too much doc so far, so i don't like to post incomplete info

so here the proof of evidence of the EFI

http://www.area86.info/efi.mp4

and

dscn09229yp.th.jpg

If you have still doubts : http://www.insydeh2o.com/faq/

For the Windows question just read the Insyde Faq and Doc, The Use something called CSM to make windows work. I hope to finish my article about EFI in the next hours..

Edited by Hagar

Who says this machine supports EFI ? Couldn't find any proof of that. Even on the packard bell support site you can download BIOS updates and no EFI updates.

BIOS and EFI are not the same, but they intend to do the same.

I've never quite understood why it is that on a forum wholly dependant on the goodwill and voluntary efforts of others, some are so quick to demand "proof", or denigrate another by demanding "Who says".

In any case, if "proof" were needed on your part, then a quick perusal at this page:

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/ind...e&pn=PB51M00002

would turn up a download link for a "BIOS" update that will in turn create a bootable CD. Just a quick browse thru the files on that CD and Insyde's name pops up.

I made an ISO image of the CD, it is approx 7.3 megs in size, in case anybody lacking XP wants to take a look at it. I don't know if a file that large can be uploaded to the forum, but I'll follow whatever anyone more knowledgeable suggests.

It's very encouraging to know now that a near-clone *with* efi is out there.

• 1 month later...

Hi, just edited a bit so the images show as thumbnails.

iirc this machine went a long way towards booting OS X with EFI, a tale I followed with excitement on IRC. perhaps DrX might have time to finish the story here some time?