PCGenUSBEHCI for latest AppleUSBPlatform (V327.4.0)

72 posts in this topic

hi

on my laptop i get no usb2 at all ...

if i do lspci i see no ehci controller only 4 uhci...

but i know its usb2 capable...

in all os i tried even xp with drivers from original support cd ..

do you think its a kind of bios issue?

Hi,

Whats the difference between your project and Slice's project? Which is newer?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029#

That's a good question, I don't know which is newer and I don't have his sources for IOUSBFamily to compare it.

So nobody tried it?

is it better then the usual vanilla kext?

Since it uses hard BIOS reset for the USB2 driver, yes.

hi

on my laptop i get no usb2 at all ...

if i do lspci i see no ehci controller only 4 uhci...

but i know its usb2 capable...

in all os i tried even xp with drivers from original support cd ..

do you think its a kind of bios issue?

I would flash the BIOS with the correct updated version, if available, from your motherboards vendor.

If it is a problem with the BIOS, it should then be solved...

I'm interested to know if this usb driver supports sleep better than the current one? On my machine using the old driver, my usb hard drive throw errors when resuming about not being unmounted properly and that data loss could have occurred.

I haven't changed anything in the sleep support area, Apple stock code there...

I would say try it for yourself and please report if it is still so.

That's a good question, I don't know which is newer and I don't have his sources for IOUSBFamily to compare it.

Since it uses hard BIOS reset for the USB2 driver, yes.

I would flash the BIOS with the correct updated version, if available, from your motherboards vendor.

If it is a problem with the BIOS, it should then be solved...

I haven't changed anything in the sleep support area, Apple stock code there...

I would say try it for yourself and please report if it is still so.

Andy,

Could you please give us a high level description of the changes.. how is it any better that the vanilla USB driver ?

right it uses hard bios reset... but what does this bring to the picture ? speed ? compatibility ? stability ?

Thanks,

Ok you are doing an excelent work.

When upgrading to 10.5.5 my system wouldnt recognize a usb unless it was pluged at boot...

Now if i plug in a usb device with the OS already running it will be properly detected and will mount flawlessly.

Thank you for your work and if you need any help testing other things you do that can be used on AMD just give me a call (PM).

Hugo

Ok you are doing an excelent work.

When upgrading to 10.5.5 my system wouldnt recognize a usb unless it was pluged at boot...

Now if i plug in a usb device with the OS already running it will be properly detected and will mount flawlessly.

Thank you for your work and if you need any help testing other things you do that can be used on AMD just give me a call (PM).

Hugo

OK, I will, I do stuff for both AMD and Intel so...

I'm glad it works great :)

Gonna try this one on my boot-132 disc and see if it solves my problem ... :unsure:

Bedankt.

graag gedaan

OK in stalled on all my hackintoshes, perform better the hot plug and play!

Nice one!

Yeah, I know, also performs better data streams.

Tested that with a Mass Storage Class USB flash disk.

Goes full rate...

Well i just deleted appleusbehci kext and used kext helper to install this and as soon as i did my card reader which i had plugged in a few minutes before which wasnt recognized yet instantly popped up and was recognized. Thanks alot because before if i unplugged my usb mouse or keyboard and plugged them back in i would have to reboot in order for them to work again.

Virus backdoor trojans,,, whoever it was that made that comment should have his ip banned from these forums, idiot.....

Thanks andy, great work. ;-)

Going to check this out on my next re-install, as I`m in a "if it aint broke don`t fix it" situation atm. Probably be in 2 weeks or so due to a hardware change around also.

Can any1 verify success with using the Apple Aluminum keyboard, firmware updated (whatever that did) - cos mine will work from boot in the same usb port it was in at the time of install, change the port and I get nothing. Tho I seem to remember plugging it in the "correct" port whilst on the login screen seems to work too.

Other issue I have is it moans about power if I use a usb flash drive over 1g. I`ve tried with the keyboard plugged straight to the mobo and on a powered usb hub without success with a 8g and 2g drive.

Flash drives straight to the pc seem to work/eject/reconnect fine. Can`t verify any speeds.

My sources here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029

I think there are no big differences except may be indefinite "powerState" - one of the problem of sleep support.

How did you resolve such issue?

if (_myPolicyMaker && (_myPolicyMaker->_myPowerState == kIOUSBHubPowerStateLowPower))

My laptop (a Toshiba P105-S9339) uses the Intel 945M chipset. The USB 2.0 doesn't work without using this kext or Slice's version because the BIOS doesn't release the controller or whatever. However, when I use these kexts my mouse becomes very choppy almost like the CPU is doing a bunch of extra work. If I boot with cpus=1 then it seems to work okay. But if I use the stock Apple kexts (and forgo USB 2.0) then I can use both cores just fine.

Any idea why the USB 2.0 kext would cause so much extra lag/CPU work with both cores enabled?

Are you sure it isn't because of some other thing being handled by the second cpu?

Mac OS X tends to share the work, if more than one CPU....

Well i just deleted appleusbehci kext and used kext helper to install this and as soon as i did my card reader which i had plugged in a few minutes before which wasnt recognized yet instantly popped up and was recognized. Thanks alot because before if i unplugged my usb mouse or keyboard and plugged them back in i would have to reboot in order for them to work again.

Virus backdoor trojans,,, whoever it was that made that comment should have his ip banned from these forums, idiot.....

Thanks andy, great work. ;-)

No problem :rolleyes:

Thanks for this, fixed USB even without a restart. Before this no USB devices showed unless they were available at boot time. You are AMAZING!!!! :D

Thanks alot for the credit, I've done some hard work on it all too (All my kexts, drivers, etc...) and I enjoy sharing so...

Greetz & thx

Thanks alot for the credit, I've done some hard work on it all too (All my kexts, drivers, etc...) and I enjoy sharing so...

Greetz & thx

Hi Andy, I appreciate all your help for the cause.

I've been playing with this (PCGenUSBEHCI.kext) for the past day, and it seems that my USB problems return after each restart. However, I install your kext again and it picks up USB devices again. Any ideas why this would be? I'm stumped!

I'm fairly new to this, but a possible workaround in my case would be to somehow reinstall your kext automatically on boot, but this is far from ideal.

Thanks

Hi Andy, I appreciate all your help for the cause.

I've been playing with this (PCGenUSBEHCI.kext) for the past day, and it seems that my USB problems return after each restart. However, I install your kext again and it picks up USB devices again. Any ideas why this would be? I'm stumped!

I'm fairly new to this, but a possible workaround in my case would be to somehow reinstall your kext automatically on boot, but this is far from ideal.

Thanks

Yes, you can do so with a script, look under /System/Library/StartupDaemons.

Make a script like that one, or use /etc/rc.common with a cp -Rf command after an rm -Rf command.

Not ideal, but the latter would work like a charm.

Yes, you can do so with a script, look under /System/Library/StartupDaemons.

Make a script like that one, or use /etc/rc.common with a cp -Rf command after an rm -Rf command.

Not ideal, but the latter would work like a charm.

Thanks for your help. I edited rc.common, but this didn't seem to work. I don't know why?? I added the following lines:

rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

cp -Rf /System/Library/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Instead I created the following applescript which is called from login items on my user account.

do shell script "rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext" password "YOURPASSWORD" with administrator privileges

do shell script "cp -Rf /System/Library/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/" with administrator privileges

As you can see, I have a backup of pcgenusbehci in /system/library which is copied into extensions on login. This seems to work, at least a lot better than before. Sometimes it takes unplug, plugin to kick the usb into action, but apart from that is ok.

thanks again

will this work with a custom bios like insyde bios? because my usb2 doesn't work with me.. my specs is on my signature..

maybe, maybe not, it depends on the BIOS.

test it but make sure you have a backup of the old AppleUSBEHCI.kext in case it doesn't work.

With all of the tests I've done this far, it works great, don't know about insyde BIOS though...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working some more on this project and now I have a fully built IOUSBFamily with all its plugins.

I'll be releasing the diffs + binaries soon.

Someone once said it couldn't be done but it can be, Apple left some errors in the standard sources, I corrected them.

The result is that my tests have shown it to now do the full transfer rate, just like a Mac would...

Just like I promised, the new IOUSBFamily.kext with all of its plugins and sources in diff...

Enjoy.