Soft Update 10.5.5

gteles

13 posts in this topic

Logic is a 32bit application now, and OS X already has been able to run complete 64 bit processes since 10.5.0.

In addition to this, you would need your plugins to be also 64bit.

And even so, probably you won't get any significant speed boost in cpu usage. On the other hand, if you work with huge sample libraries 64 bits is a urgently needed feature.

Btw...do you know your 8 gb ram are sitted doing nothing in your system at the moment? lol

Logic 8.0.2 isn't able to adress more than about 3.2gb ram...in fact it doesn't work 100% stable once you pass the 2gb mark used in its own process.

The point is EXS24 is useless in a modern sampling enviroment.

If you need tons of ram is because you want to use advanced sample libraries like vienna or EWQLS, and EXS24 has zero support for the scripting needed by those kind of libraries, so is completly useles.

Logic is a 32bit application now, and OS X already has been able to run complete 64 bit processes since 10.5.0.

In addition to this, you would need your plugins to be also 64bit.

And even so, probably you won't get any significant speed boost in cpu usage. On the other hand, if you work with huge sample libraries 64 bits is a urgently needed feature.

Btw...do you know your 8 gb ram are sitted doing nothing in your system at the moment? lol

Logic 8.0.2 isn't able to adress more than about 3.2gb ram...in fact it doesn't work 100% stable once you pass the 2gb mark used in its own process.

VooD, if you are using stand alone apps in addition to Logic, you can easily max out 8gb of RAM. I am using Logic, BFD2, Kontakt 2 and PLAY engine at the same time. Routing audio back to Logic with Soundflower, MIDI to apps using built in OSX internal routing. Even so some AU plugins as VSL uses RAM outside Logic in a very smart way, so 8 GB for me it to little but my MoBo can´t handle more.

Yep, I know that, but I really hate having to setup every external application each time I load a project, and I would also really miss offline bouncing.

Lets hope logic finally goes 64bit. That would (in addition to allow more sample space) solve many stability problems some people is suffering. People using several ram intensive plugins often get complete crashes in logic cause logic itself allows to continue loading sample data in .au plugins even when you are already at the 3.2 gb limit for its process.

• 1 month later...
About the 8 GB. I know that, should i sell 4 GB?

NO!! wait! Apple is going to sell Snow Leopard 64bit the next january 2009, so apple computers will support lot more ram... so keep it.

gteles, if you've got a 64-bit CPU, Leopard will run in 64-bit mode, so you should already be getting a performance boost. As far as 64-bit Applications goes, I don't think Logic is 64-bit yet, but don't quote me on it...

maybe yes, because apple did not worked in developing a better operating system, snow leopard will be exactly the same as Leopard except for the running process, so i think that it should be lot more faster, but we have to wait for the release..