[How To] Fix 10.5.5 Update Problems

mmxsaro

35 posts in this topic

Hey guys, for anyone who screwed up the 10.5.5 update (either via Software Update or forgot to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) don't fret. You can remove the problematic extension by booting off your OSX installation media (in my case, Kalyway 10.5.2) and using the Terminal console (under Utilities). This will drop you directly onto the root drive of OSX and allow you to do some modifications.

The next step is to find where your OSX is installed and modify whatever is needed. In my case, it was /Volumes/OSX/. Your volume name may differ. You can figure out what it is by typing "df" at the console and get a list of hard drives with their mount points.

Type in the following (by substituting <OSX> with your volume's name):

# rm -rf /Volumes/<OSX>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Next step is to repair the drive's permissions. Quit the Terminal console entirely, and go to Disk Utility under Utilities. From there, find your OSX drive and click on "Repair Disk Permissions". It'll take a few minutes. Once the repair is complete, time to reboot.

At the boot prompt, type in the following: "-x -v -f"

After a few minutes, OSX should start up in Safe Boot and allow you to login. In my attempt, the desktop and top bar did not appear. Launching any available application in the dock started up the top bar in my case, so I was able to use Spotlight and launch Terminal. Now, we're going to redo the 10.5.5 update. Hopefully you saved it somewhere reachable, such as your desktop.

First, let's start by running the following command in a Terminal window (thanks to mmgm for reminding me about the sudo -s command):

# sudo -s

# while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

While this is running in the background, let's go ahead and launch the Disk Utility. Now, we're going to mount the MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg (or the Combo or Delta update file). Go to File -> Open and find your .dmg file. It should successfully mount it.

Next step is to launch another Terminal window. This time, we're going to start the 10.5.5 update package. In the console, type:

# cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS \X 10.5.5\ Update/

(HINT: or type "cd /Volumes/Mac <tab key> for it to autocomplete).

You should be in the mounted .DMG file's contents. You can go ahead and type:

# open MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg

The 10.5.5 update application should begin. Within moments, you'll notice your desktop reappear and everything seem like it's back to normal. Once the installation is finished, don't reboot! We still have one more step to do.

Go to the Terminal window where we had the "while sleep 1..." command running (it was deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for us). Press CTRL + C to terminate the command. Using this window, it's time to go to the InstallAtStartup directory and do a minor modification. Type:

# pico /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Look for the following string: "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"

If you find it, rename it to: "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

If you cannot find it, don't worry. I didn't find it in my file, so it's not mandatory. I added this step for precautionary reasons.

At this point, you can go ahead and modify or reinstall any .kexts your system needs. If you aren't sure what to do in this step, cross your fingers.

Ok, time to reboot. Once OSX starts to load, you'll notice that it reboots right away after showing a black screen. Don't panic, this is normal. Your computer will restart once again. OSX should finally load at this point, and everything should be back to normal.

Tested on:

Kalyway 10.5.2 (base) -> 10.5.3 (Kalyway update) -> 10.5.4 (Software Update)

Asus P5K-VM, BFGTech 8800 GT OC

P5K-VM users will need to reinstall audio drivers after the 10.5.5 update.

Thanks to netkas.org. I hope this guide helps someone out. :P

This is for anyone who is getting the "No HPETs available" during OSX bootup.

A noobs question: I have a "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" in the extension's folder I did not rename it to dsmos and the sys is working perfectly and by the way I have the dsmos.kext in the same folder, can you shade some light on that please?

thx for this very usefull post

A noobs question: I have a "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" in the extension's folder I did not rename it to dsmos and the sys is working perfectly and by the way I have the dsmos.kext in the same folder, can you shade some light on that please?

thx for this very usefull post

Hmm, I'm not an expert when it comes to the kexts, but perhaps it's simply not loaded... no idea, sorry. :\

You're welcome for the post. :(

Hey mmxsaro, can this same method be used to go from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 before I try 10.5.5 (again keeping in mind I've hosed my system already 6 times this week)?

The original document I sourced, found on netkas.org, was made to upgrade 10.5.2 to 10.5.3. Since we managed to upgrade 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 with the same instructions, I don't see why it wouldn't work for 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 (or just directly skip to 10.5.5). So yeah, give it a try and let me know how it works out.

Is there a way to install 10.5.5 delta update from Install DVD because I can't logon even in safe mode. When I boot with "-x -v -f" loginwindow.app reports errors. I tried in terminal to use open but when booted with Install DVD open command doesn't work.

EDITED.... SOLVED

I installed OS X on another partition and from there I reinstalled 10.5.5 update to my original partition.

my hackintosh : intelD101GGC 2GB RAm ... intel P4 3.0 Ghz .. n all ..

OS X : Leopard 10.5 ToH kernel RC2

problems :

1: Software Update ->

Kernel Panic : grey screen press power button for several seconds ......

I Think "AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext" not removed ..................................

2: Method Provided Above :

Tried with changing dmsos.kext n not changing it ...

After i restart i goes on a reboot looop in my case ...... it was 19Times. :o

I've tried it for 8 times ... with the steps provied on netkas .. insanelymac :( but im sad :(

--------------------------------------

ne help wud be appreciable ...

--------------------------------------

sorry for bad english :)

Here's an alternative method, in case anyone's interested in trying it. You do so at your own risk, etc, I may well have made some mistakes on the way. -_-

1: boot the install DVD & remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as above to allow you to boot.

2: make sure you have chameleon installed, if not, get it from: http://tinyurl.com/5m66sf and install it to your os x drive

3: download "lifeboat 13" from http://www.mediafire.com/?mz2jwzwdzdy

4: in terminal type: sudo mv /boot /boot_old

5: unzip the contents of lifeboat 13 & drop the folder "Extra" and the file "boot" onto the root of your harddrive

'

6: reboot & run the downloaded update again.

What this does is place a decryptor & a disabler in /Extra/Extensions and a boot file that will load them on your harddrive. This in turn will help update-proof your system.

If you already have chameleon installed, it is possible to shorten the whole process by putting the contents of lifeboat13 on a usb stick or similar accessible device and copy the files onto the root of your harddrive from terminal whilst booted from the DVD, ideally moving /boot somewhere safe in case of need.

All the above is derivative of the work of others and is to be used at your own risk. If you don't understand it fully, or any step fails, try something else.

Chameleon is by Zef, boot-132 is by DFE, the kexts are by their various authors whom I fail to remember (if it's yours & there is an issue, please PM me)

Hey. Thank you for the very useful guide, but you forgot a very important little step, which led me to forget it, and left me with an unbootable system (not even after booting from the install disk and following your instructions).

You should sudo -s before the sleep loop.

What I did to get out the mess I was stuck in, which might be useful for other people, is this:

Boot from the install disk

Launch Disk Utility and mount the update .dmg

Launch Terminal and run something like this (substitute Hackintosh for the name of your partition)

cd /Volumes/Hackintosh
./usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.5.5\ Update/MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg -target ./

Its gonna tell you it failed running the postinstall script, but after repairing permissions just to be safe, you should (might?) have a bootable system. I guess the postinstall script is there for a reason, so run the installer once again according to the guide, this time remembering the sudo -s, and everything should be great.

I hope I've helped someone.

I failed updating 10.5.5 too in the first attempt without executed sudo -s before executed the loop.

I tried #11 post method to let the system boot up but failed.

Then I tried #10 post method with success boot into the system.

Again follow back on #1 post and executing the update package and I remember to did a sudo -s this time.

After all after update misc work done, I want to ask Hagar should I

1. renamed back the /boot_old file to /boot ?

2. remove the /Extra folder from the root ?

Here's an alternative method, in case anyone's interested in trying it. You do so at your own risk, etc, I may well have made some mistakes on the way. :whistle:

1: boot the install DVD & remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as above to allow you to boot.

2: make sure you have chameleon installed, if not, get it from: http://tinyurl.com/5m66sf and install it to your os x drive

5: unzip the contents of lifeboat 13 & drop the folder "Extra" and the file "boot" onto the root of your harddrive

'

What this does is place a decryptor & a disabler in /Extra/Extensions and a boot file that will load them on your harddrive. This in turn will help update-proof your system.

If you already have chameleon installed, it is possible to shorten the whole process by putting the contents of lifeboat13 on a usb stick or similar accessible device and copy the files onto the root of your harddrive from terminal whilst booted from the DVD, ideally moving /boot somewhere safe in case of need.

All the above is derivative of the work of others and is to be used at your own risk. If you don't understand it fully, or any step fails, try something else.

Chameleon is by Zef, boot-132 is by DFE, the kexts are by their various authors whom I fail to remember (if it's yours & there is an issue, please PM me)

Thank you Haggar!! The only wacky-thing is you have to type "#" before sudo when renaming Boot to Boot_Old. Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX this method, works for this motherboard.

Here's an alternative method, in case anyone's interested in trying it. You do so at your own risk, etc, I may well have made some mistakes on the way. ;)

'

And this works perfectly! Thank you for the short guide!

Ok -I stupidly tried to update to 10.5.5 and now my system will not boot. I THOUGHT I had removed the CPUManagement kext properly, buy apparently did something wrong. I have since re-installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on another partition so I could boot, and I went in and removed the offending CPU kext, and now when I look in there, it has been replaced with a folder that is labeled as (orig) I have run repair permissions to no avail. I used the larger of the Apple updated, the 600 meg one, could that be the problem?

Running a Gigabyte P35-DS3L, quad core, was running 10.5.4 perfectly before this fiasco, with everything working.

So, is there ANY way for me to get this running again? I tried booting with "-v -f -x", and it just hangs, the last line is something about appleHIDkeyboard something or other, and it does not go any further, if I boot without "-v -f -x" it just stays on grey screen with spinning wheel.

At this point I would just love to get back to 10.5.4, or get 10.5.5 working. What else can I try.

Kalyway 10.5.2 install >

Kalyway 10.5.3 install >

Apple 10.5.4 update

thanks for any and all advice, not sure where to go from here, was up til 2am last night trying to get this to work.

tom

Hi johnmix, did you remove the /Extra folder and rename boot_old back to boot at the end ?

No, you just leave things alone. Make sure you use the "installer-version" of Chameleon, and the update for 10.5.5 that is the 350mb one from apple. No renaming of folders at all.

I've made a package installer for Hagar's lifeboat13 mentioned in post #10 and it works perfectly, I have tested it on my own boot-132 system and have included some extra goodies (bonus kexts).

It is available here http://http://spotlight.hopto.org/lifeboat13.zip for anyone who wants to try it.

*edit* updated the link with an updated version with some extra kexts, and the error 35 UUID fix with Zef's precompiled binary.

i was able to update it successfully but after that my mouse and keyboard stop working. i suspect

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Aug 15 23:07:34 localhost kernel[0]: Class "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate

Aug 15 23:07:34 localhost kernel[0]: Duplicate class

Aug 15 23:07:34 localhost kernel[0]: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying

this is main reason.

plz help how to solve this.

i was able to update it successfully but after that my mouse and keyboard stop working. i suspect

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Aug 15 23:07:34 localhost kernel[0]: Class "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate

Aug 15 23:07:34 localhost kernel[0]: Duplicate class

Aug 15 23:07:34 localhost kernel[0]: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying

this is main reason.

plz help how to solve this.

I have The same issue. This problem seems to only occur updating to 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. I tried the Hacked ApplePS2Controller.kext but it did not help. Help me out, I'm running a Dell E1705/9400.

I have The same issue. This problem seems to only occur updating to 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. I tried the Hacked ApplePS2Controller.kext but it did not help. Help me out, I'm running a Dell E1705/9400.

Install this kext, delete kext cache (Extensions.mkext), and repair permissions:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext (For enable PS2 Support) - http://rs63.rapidshare.com/files/84523450/...t-1052-9C16.zip

Should do the trick for you.

Is there a way to fix this from a second bootable OS. I.E windows Vista?

I have access to the OSX drive from there, or would you all just reccomend doing it from the install disk ?

Don't think it matters. You just need to install while the OS volume is not mounted. . . whether from install disk or another working OS. Although, don't think Vista is the best place to do it from. I'd feel a whole lot safer in Terminal from the install DVD.

Ok, so I followed this tutorial, but I didn't get very far.

I ran the x rm -rf xxxxxxxxx command, and it just returned me to the "Bash" line. Not sure if anything really happend. I then repaird the permissions on the drive which seemed to have worked with out a hitch.

The problem I'm getting stuck at is when I have to reboot my computer into -x -v -f.

Hard to explain, but simply, my computer freeze's at this screen.

PIC1:59648977st8.jpg

Theres a few things mentioned aboutt the power.kext, I'm just wondering if maybe that has something to do with it ...

Thanks for your help :D