[How To] Fix 10.5.5 Update Problems

mmxsaro

35 posts in this topic

Ok, so taking my own advice I removed the kext file through windows and rebooted.

using all the commands I managed to get my computer to a blue screen, how ever thats it ... every now and then I see the black swirl and thats about it ... any ideas?

the same thing happens to me

i can't run the update from the boot dvd thing. it says installer: command not found

i think the black swirl is a login loop or something but i have no idea how to fix it

any help appreciated.

hi... i used the iatkos 10.5.4 dvd and erasing the kext file didnt work with the way you described

i had a message telling me... "system read-only file" and i couldnt erase anything

so i found out that i had to first mount the volume and then erase...

mount -uw /Volumes/Mac ...Mac is the name i chosed for my osx partition

and here comes the tricky part

when i typed the whole thing ..rm -rf kext.. and it seemes to be gone

checking with... ls AppleIntelC* produced 0 files

but when i restarted the pc the file was still there ! and had the boot crash again !!

so i found out that i first had to mount the volume and then enter into "sh" mode to erase it

like this:

mount -uw /Volumes/Mac

sh

rm -rf /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

and then restarting the pc...

Its been some 5 days now, Sorry to keep posting but I'm just a little eager to get my mac repaired. Thanks for your time.

hi i cant help you, sorry, but i want to share a similar and deceptive experience,

on my very first attempt on osx's installation, i tried to install all drivers and tried finalizing all with the latest update

so while proceeding the update just as advised, the appleIntelpower..kext couldnt be erased: because of a "permission denied" although i had no error while entering in superuser mode (sudo -s) ...this is definitely a mac bug

i found out that the problem was caused simply because i had installed oxs with an user that had no password

and i had to fix the whole thing manually.

installing osx later on on another pc with an user and password didnt cause me this trouble.

For what ever its worth this is how I do it every time without problems.

I have the original osx installed from DVD using

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry803725

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115064

Both are usb based so very quick install/reinstall (< 6 min )

I have a clone on an external drive of my OSX 86 that is bootable from a mac and can be made bootable on any PC with USB boot capabilty just by doing the 2 things

1)substituting the original mac kernel ( the one with every update ) with one this

9.5: http://rapidshare.com/files/146201704/mach_kernel.bz2.html

9.4: http://rapidshare.com/files/132375753/mach...sc.tar.bz2.html

9.3: http://rapidshare.com/files/132376728/mach_kernel.html

9.2: http://rapidshare.com/files/132377549/mach_kernel.bz2.html

9.1: http://rapidshare.com/files/132378410/mach_kernel.bz2.html

9.0: http://rapidshare.com/files/132923445/mach_kernel.bz2.html

posted here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117558

Can make any unaltered 10.5.x installed drive bootable on a mac or aPC by just activating an appropriate mach_kernel

2) replacing AppleHDA.kext original vs patched for shut down purpose in a regular mac.

That way I can upgrade via software update through a regular mac to the external drive anytime safely

If I can boot the upgraded ext drive after switching mach_kernel then its a matter of cloning to the OSX 86 on my PC.

Reason behind this is

Apple SWUG will screw up a OSX 86 system through omission or volition.

Upgrading a regular mac will get everything needed.

It a matter of making that upgraded drive bootable in a PC through changing mach_kernel and adding all needed kexts.

Interestingly I notice that just by switching the mach_kernel I can boot any regular external drive off a PC using usb stick method without having to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext {censored}! However once Chameleon is installed this kext need to be removed. So now I always boot off usb first and then select 80 or 81.

I hope this help

• 3 weeks later...

Help, i can't get passed this screen:

http://bayimg.com/image/oallgaabp.jpg

I've done everything by the book and have even received help from realityiswhere on IRC.

I need the 10.5.5 update or else i cannot install the nvidia 9 series drivers!

i've also tried idened which completely fails no matter what i select.

note: i'm booting osx86 off an IDE drive that has a few other partitions.

• 4 weeks later...

I followed the instructions perfectly with no errors, didnt miss any steps, i even changed the "don't steal my mac" thing... but after installing and rebooting i get stuck on a "Still waiting for root device" I tried to upgrade from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5...

Does it make a difference that i did the combo update instead of the update to 10.4 then 10.5?

Please HELP!!

A noobs question: I have a "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" in the extension's folder I did not rename it to dsmos and the sys is working perfectly and by the way I have the dsmos.kext in the same folder, can you shade some light on that please?

thx for this very usefull post

look in systemprofiler > extensions, what is loaded ( i have both loaded)

dsmos.kext, decrypt.kext are decrypting kexts like the original dontstealmacosx

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, for anyone who screwed up the 10.5.5 update (either via Software Update or forgot to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) don't fret. You can remove the problematic extension by booting off your OSX installation media (in my case, Kalyway 10.5.2) and using the Terminal console (under Utilities). This will drop you directly onto the root drive of OSX and allow you to do some modifications.

The next step is to find where your OSX is installed and modify whatever is needed. In my case, it was /Volumes/OSX/. Your volume name may differ. You can figure out what it is by typing "df" at the console and get a list of hard drives with their mount points.

Type in the following (by substituting <OSX> with your volume's name):

# rm -rf /Volumes/<OSX>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Next step is to repair the drive's permissions. Quit the Terminal console entirely, and go to Disk Utility under Utilities. From there, find your OSX drive and click on "Repair Disk Permissions". It'll take a few minutes. Once the repair is complete, time to reboot.

At the boot prompt, type in the following: "-x -v -f"

After a few minutes, OSX should start up in Safe Boot and allow you to login. In my attempt, the desktop and top bar did not appear. Launching any available application in the dock started up the top bar in my case, so I was able to use Spotlight and launch Terminal. Now, we're going to redo the 10.5.5 update. Hopefully you saved it somewhere reachable, such as your desktop.

First, let's start by running the following command in a Terminal window (thanks to mmgm for reminding me about the sudo -s command):

# sudo -s

# while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

While this is running in the background, let's go ahead and launch the Disk Utility. Now, we're going to mount the MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg (or the Combo or Delta update file). Go to File -> Open and find your .dmg file. It should successfully mount it.

Next step is to launch another Terminal window. This time, we're going to start the 10.5.5 update package. In the console, type:

# cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS \X 10.5.5\ Update/

(HINT: or type "cd /Volumes/Mac <tab key> for it to autocomplete).

You should be in the mounted .DMG file's contents. You can go ahead and type:

# open MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg

The 10.5.5 update application should begin. Within moments, you'll notice your desktop reappear and everything seem like it's back to normal. Once the installation is finished, don't reboot! We still have one more step to do.

Go to the Terminal window where we had the "while sleep 1..." command running (it was deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for us). Press CTRL + C to terminate the command. Using this window, it's time to go to the InstallAtStartup directory and do a minor modification. Type:

# pico /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Look for the following string: "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"

If you find it, rename it to: "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

If you cannot find it, don't worry. I didn't find it in my file, so it's not mandatory. I added this step for precautionary reasons.

At this point, you can go ahead and modify or reinstall any .kexts your system needs. If you aren't sure what to do in this step, cross your fingers.

Ok, time to reboot. Once OSX starts to load, you'll notice that it reboots right away after showing a black screen. Don't panic, this is normal. Your computer will restart once again. OSX should finally load at this point, and everything should be back to normal.

Tested on:

Kalyway 10.5.2 (base) -> 10.5.3 (Kalyway update) -> 10.5.4 (Software Update)

Asus P5K-VM, BFGTech 8800 GT OC

P5K-VM users will need to reinstall audio drivers after the 10.5.5 update.

Thanks to netkas.org. I hope this guide helps someone out. :)

This is for anyone who is getting the "No HPETs available" during OSX bootup.

I couldn't boot until I restored my kexts from 10.4.5. Had to boot from the startup disk and launch Terminal.

root:uname -r

baby!

• 1 month later...

I tried to update to 10.5.5. using Apple 10.5.5. update (376mb) over a Kalyway 10.5.4. system on a GA-EP35-DS3L w/nvidia 9400gt, but all I get is a hang at the Apple Logo screen.

I can get in only in safe mode.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or should I just go ahead and upgrade to 10.5.6.?