Difference between Chameleon EFI & EFI v8

Panja

12 posts in this topic

these are the difference :

Provides the same (fake) EFI features as PC_EFI

* device-properties string in the com.apple.Boot.plist can have line-breaks, tabs, spaces. With PC_EFI you must keep the whole string in one single line - which is hard to maintain.

* Unified boot0/boot1h for MBR/GUID partitioned disks - PC_EFI uses a separate boot0/boot1h for GUID disks which makes DVD builders and users work harder.

* boot0 can even pick-up unactivated primary HFS+ partitions - PC_EFI can’t.

* cdboot is also available (works now with JMicron connected IDE DVD drives) - you can’t get cdboot with PC_EFI. DVD builders would be happy with that, it makes their - and our - life easy.

* Can boot from software RAID configs - PC_EFI can’t.

* Don’t need to hassle with startupfiletool anymore to embed the stage2 boot onto your partition, instead just copy the ‘boot’ file to your root folder as a single file. boot1h is still compatibile with the old startupfile loading method.

* Installation takes only 3 steps:

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

1. Install boot0 to the MBR: fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

2. Install boot1h to the partition’s bootsector: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=2

3. Install boot to the partition’s root directory: cp boot /

* Supports more CPUs (AMD, Intel SSE2) - PC_EFI only supports Intel CPUs.

* As a bonus we’re providing a Vista friendly fdisk which won’t break your current Vista installation in case of dual-booting scenarios.

* Chameleon is an opensource (APSL) and open-minded project.

Thanks for the answers!

So if I'm not mistaken I could just install my Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and than run the Chameleon installer over pc_efi?

I dont have to patch the DVD right?

Yes, You need to patch your DVD only when you have "com.apple.boot.plist not found" errors or you have problems weith ATA DVD.

• 2 months later...