HELP! P5N-D 750i (nForce), is it even compatible?

79 posts in this topic

So I have the Asus P5N-D 750i nForce motherboard, and my hackintosh gets random freezes...No kernel panics, but freezes...Everything just locks up, and I'm forced to do a hard shutdown, or reset...It's very random..sometimes after an hour, or even more..and then other times after 5 minutes..

I think it's the motherboard causing this..But I'm not sure..

Here are my specs..

MoBo: ASUS P5N-D 750i nForce

RAM: DDR2@800Mhz(2GB) + DDR2@800Mhz(1GB) (works)

GPU: 8800GT (works)

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4Ghz (works)

LAN-Onboard: nForce LAN (not sure what type, but it doesn't work anyway)

LAN-PCI: Realtek 8139D (works, but looses connection after a few minutes, used different kexts)

HDD: Samsung SATA 160GB (works)

That's about everything..main problems are LAN and I GUESS the mobo...LAN is fixable by using the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter...But I don't think that fixes the random freezes...

So does anyone know what causes them?? I reallly miss Mac OSX! Have to use Vista again...

THANKSS:)

Which Version did you try to install?

If you're using LAN and not WIFI try using Aitkos v4i. Install with the TOH Kernel, that should make system super stable (it does for mine) OR just use kalyway 10.5.2 with the NFORCE Kernel (that's what i'm using now and everything works 100%, even my builtin WIFI) So far the TOH kernel works best for me but without builtin WIFI working after install (LAN cable too far away from computer)... the NFORCE kernel works great too but for some reason it makes my SATA DVD drive run fishy... I have an IDE DVD Drive also, works like a charm.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2, iAtkos v1.0ir (10.5.1), iAtkos v2 (10.5.2) and iAtkos v4 (10.5.4) Used either speedstep, nForce or default kernel.

iAtkos v1.0ir gives me a kernel panic when I try to install video driver, iAtkos v2 gives me a kernel panic as soon as I install en boot into leopard, maybe wrong selection, and iAtkos v4 gives me waiting for root device...

Best luck is Kalyway, but gives me random freezes when I use nForce, default or Speedstep kernel...I'll download a ToH distro with his kernel...

By the way, I see that you have the P5N-32...I don't know if it differs much..but could be that that's why you don't get freezes and I do...

Thanks for the tips:)

Hi. I also have the p5n-d and i tried installing osx with the boot132 cd. It starts loading (10.5.0 retail and also tried kalyway 10.5.4) and after a while it stops "waiting for root device". I guess this is because i have no IDE drive present but i also tried this in my girlfriends AMD pc which has ONLY IDE drives and it gives me the same error.

Any suggestions?

I have a SATA HDD and a IDE DVD drive...Didn't get waiting for root device on Kalyway 10.5.2, iAtkos 10.5.2

HOWEVER I did get it with iAtkos 10.5.4...you should try 10.5.2

I switched back to Kalyway by the way, iAtkos wouldn't install my video driver...I'm using a USB WiFi at the moment, to see if the random freezes are caused by the LAN or not...Onboard LAN doesn't work by the way, and my PCI Realtek 8139D freezes after a few minutes...So WiFi is my next step, if it's all stable..I'll get the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter;)

Using the USB WiFi gives me a kernel panic after a while:S:S:S

{censored} this...too many {censored} going on...no LAN, random freezes, now that random freezes are a lot less, or gone, and I have WiFi working I get fukkin Kernel Panics...I'll just wait for P5N-D to become more stable with Mac OSX, who knows what Snow Leopard brings us;)

same here with asus p5n-t 780i (version up) i have been meaning to try the acpi kext (i think) from iatkos dvd i4a to see if it solves it but other users have had worse problems like striker 2 was declared too bad for reasonable use. Also i hope 10.5.5 will help i will update later and report to tell you my results

So I have the Asus P5N-D 750i nForce motherboard, and my hackintosh gets random freezes...No kernel panics, but freezes...Everything just locks up, and I'm forced to do a hard shutdown, or reset...It's very random..sometimes after an hour, or even more..and then other times after 5 minutes..

I think it's the motherboard causing this..But I'm not sure..

Here are my specs..

MoBo: ASUS P5N-D 750i nForce

RAM: DDR2@800Mhz(2GB) + DDR2@800Mhz(1GB) (works)

GPU: 8800GT (works)

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4Ghz (works)

LAN-Onboard: nForce LAN (not sure what type, but it doesn't work anyway)

LAN-PCI: Realtek 8139D (works, but looses connection after a few minutes, used different kexts)

HDD: Samsung SATA 160GB (works)

That's about everything..main problems are LAN and I GUESS the mobo...LAN is fixable by using the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter...But I don't think that fixes the random freezes...

So does anyone know what causes them?? I reallly miss Mac OSX! Have to use Vista again...

THANKSS:)

I presume you have followed Mysticus C*'s nForce MOBO+Intel CPU thread......in particular this series of postings.....it may help...... :unsure:

Using the USB WiFi gives me a kernel panic after a while:S:S:S

{censored} this...too many {censored} going on...no LAN, random freezes, now that random freezes are a lot less, or gone, and I have WiFi working I get fukkin Kernel Panics...I'll just wait for P5N-D to become more stable with Mac OSX, who knows what Snow Leopard brings us;)

Remember USB devices rely on CPU to function......doing so with a relatively high CPU load.......

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modified for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

If this is the case, get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X... ;)

@verdant

Holy sh!ttt that guys also had the 750i chipset...And he says it works now...I HOPE that it works for me aswel....I actually wanted to give up...THANKS ALLOOOOTT FOR THIS DUDEEE!!!

P.S. I have the P5N-D, and it's 750i nForce, so is his, but if he has a different motherboard...would tat matter? It's all about the chipset righ?

same here with asus p5n-t 780i (version up) i have been meaning to try the acpi kext (i think) from iatkos dvd i4a to see if it solves it but other users have had worse problems like striker 2 was declared too bad for reasonable use. Also i hope 10.5.5 will help i will update later and report to tell you my results

I hope we can make it work;) I'm just no sure that it'll work, since I have the P5N-D 750i, and the other guy has the evga 750i...

@ Verdant

What do I have to do actually? Just install it, I used the speedstep kernel since I have the Q6600...

Should I just install it, and then run OSX86Tools?

@verdant

Holy sh!ttt that guys also had the 750i chipset...And he says it works now...I HOPE that it works for me aswel....I actually wanted to give up...THANKS ALLOOOOTT FOR THIS DUDEEE!!!

P.S. I have the P5N-D, and it's 750i nForce, so is his, but if he has a different motherboard...would tat matter? It's all about the chipset righ?

I hope we can make it work;) I'm just no sure that it'll work, since I have the P5N-D 750i, and the other guy has the evga 750i...

@ Verdant

What do I have to do actually? Just install it, I used the speedstep kernel since I have the Q6600...

Should I just install it, and then run OSX86Tools?

No......the steps are (i) sort out BIOS settings (ii) sort out install selections, generally installing audio, video and network drivers after you have got the main system functioning OK....

So, I suggest you check your BIOS as follows (you may not have all the BIOS parameters shown in the list......indicate which you have by using different text color):

APIC Mode [Enabled]

MPS Version Control for OS [Default]

"What are the options in your BIOS for the MPS Version Control?"

Limit CPUID Max Val [Disabled]

Speedstep [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Control [Enabled]

C1E [Disabled]

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

Virtualization Tech [Disabled]

CPU Core 0 [Enabled]

CPU Core 1 [Enabled]

CPU Core 2 [Enabled]

CPU Core 3 [Enabled]

HPET [Enabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

Primary Master PIO [Auto]

Primary Slave PIO [Auto]

Primary Master UDMA [Auto]

Primary Slave UDMA [Auto]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enable All]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Enabled]

RAID Enable [Enabled]

SATA 0 to 2 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 0 to 2 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

OnChip USB [Enabled]

USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]

USB Mouse Support [Enabled]

ACPI function [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

I just configured my BIOS, had to make quite some changes:p, on to installing mac os..Should I go with nForce, sleep or speedstepkernel? Im using Kalyway 10.5.2 by the way...

P.S. Vanilla doesn't work, as soon as I want to boot OSX my pc reboots...and mobin gives me a kernel panic as soon as OSX os loading...So I have to choose one of the three..

P.P.S Should I boot with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048? Or perhaps other flags?

I just configured my BIOS, had to make quite some changes:p, on to installing mac os..Should I go with nForce, sleep or speedstepkernel? Im using Kalyway 10.5.2 by the way...

I assume you have disabled Speedstep in BIOS......if so follow this procedure (adapted from my blog....):

1. Boot from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes)

3. Once the Kalyway OS X Installer has loaded, use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your internal or external HDD into more than one volume, select the first volume to install to, otherwise just select the internal or external HDD volume.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Additional Fonts Choose to suit your requirements

Language Translations Choose to suit your requirements

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep
Y
(Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep
N

kernel_922_kabyl
N

kernel_922_modin
N

kernel_92_nforce
N

kernel_vanilla_92
N

Graphics _Drivers -

Ati_Radeon
N

Nvidia_Geforce -

NVinject-
Choose to suit your requirements
(all other NVinject choices
N
and NATIT_gfnvidia
N
)

Intel_GMA
N

Choose ONE graphics driver to suit your requirements but if you have any video display/graphics driver problems when running the OS X installer and on booting etc., then run the OS X Install DVD again with NO graphics driver chosen initially. See Part II in my blog entry for the steps to take, such as deleting the current nVidia graphics driver and post-installing an nVidia graphics driver using Mysticus C*'s 10.5.2 Graphics Update Installer if you experience problems….

Audio_Drivers N

Choose ONE audio driver to suit your requirements but if you have any audio driver problems when running the OS X installer and on booting etc., then run the OS X Install DVD again with NO audio driver chosen initially.....See Part II in this blog entry for the steps to take, such as post-installing the required audio driver kext using, for example, Kext Helper b7......or OSx86Tools...... :)

Networks_ Drivers - Default choices

(But my onboard LAN does not work with OS X x86; I have a Netgear GA311 PCI card [RealTek 8169S chipset] fitted for Gigabit LAN)

If you have network problems, it could be that your on-board LAN will not work properly under OS X.....the onboard LAN on a MOBO may or may not work - it all depends on the MOBO specs.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modification for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

If this is the case, get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X... :D

As regards installing a network driver kext (if required post-OS X install), you can use, for example, Kext Helper b7......or OSx86Tools...... :D

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications – Choose to suit your requirements

(I chose archives, candybar, changeFinder, colloquy, Growl, kextHelperB7, onyx, pacifist, perian, ppfomatic, stuffitExpander, textmate, vlc, xbench)

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS
Default choice
i.e.
Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag
N

PCGenUSB_Fix
N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout
N

TimeMachineFix
Y

PowerManagement_bundle
N

Intel Memory Controller
N

AMD_1052_Patches Default
N (Default choice)

6. Double check your "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins you may choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the Internal HDD or from the External USB 2.0 / eSATA HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the Internal HDD and pressing Enter.

Well...I installed everything, it all works just like always , except LAN...BUT I got a kernel panic...It happened after 30 minutes...I KNOW it's the USB WiFi now...maybe it interfeces a little with my CPU, which wasn't under heavy load by the way...I tried it yesterday aswwell...I left it on for 3 hours...didn't get a freeze or panic...then I inserted the WiFi stick...used the internet...after a while..Kernel Panic..!!

Beacause of the kernel panic, I wasn't able to test it for a longer time, to see if I would still get random freezes...

So I'll get a PCI Ethernet, from Realtek, te 8169;) And HOPEFULLY I'll have a fully working OSX:)

Well...I installed everything, it all works , except LAN...BUT I got a kernel panic...It happened after 30 minutes...I KNOW it's the USB WiFi now...maybe it interfeces a little with my CPU, which wasn't under heavy load by the way...I tried it yesterday aswwell...I left it on for 3 hours...didn't get a freeze or panic...then I inserted the WiFi stick...used the internet...after a while..Kernel Panic..!!

So I'll get a PCI Ethernet, from Realtek, te 8169;) And HOPEFULLY I'll have a fully working OSX:)

Pleased to have helped you stabilize your system operation...... :(

PCI devices employ "DMA" i.e. Direct Memory Access, enabling them to transfer data to/from RAM without generating too much of a CPU load. USB devices require CPU interrupts to transfer data to/from RAM......depending on nature of data transfer e.g. audio the CPU load can be as high as 90%!

This is why in real usage Firewire 400 (IEEE1394) outperforms USB 2.0

Some people blame Intel whose strategy around the time of Pentium CPUs was to load the CPU as much as possible.....hence other CPU loading devices such as CPU-controlled audio chipsets and modems.....perhaps to force people to upgrade the CPUs as more device performance was required by the users?

Verdant

I too have have the P5N-D, been struggling with the same freezes. I was trying such options as "maxmem=3072" & disabling IDE devices in my bios

After reading you're posts here I copied some of your bios settings and things have been running great "knock on wood"

Really really a great thanks to you if this solves the problem. If not thanks to you any ways :censored2:

Two other questions if I may... I use the Apple Ethernet USB adapter. Humm so under heavy download that could possibly slow down my CPU? For my system I only score a 150 on Xbench

#2 anyway to update to 10.5.4 > 10.5.5 with out Vanilla? I tried 10.5.4 but I can use modbin

Verdant

I too have have the P5N-D, been struggling with the same freezes. I was trying such options as "maxmem=3072" & disabling IDE devices in my bios

After reading you're posts here I copied some of your bios settings and things have been running great "knock on wood"

Really really a great thanks to you if this solves the problem. If not thanks to you any ways :)

Two other questions if I may... I use the Apple Ethernet USB adapter. Humm so under heavy download that could possibly slow down my CPU? For my system I only score a 150 on Xbench

#2 anyway to update to 10.5.4 > 10.5.5 with out Vanilla? I tried 10.5.4 but I can use modbin

Glad to have helped......indirectly...... :D

The CPU load partitioning will change as the USB load on it increases......the XBench score is affected by mainly by the HDD transfer rates......slower than ideal because of nForce chipset and SATA/IDE issues with the AppleNForceATA kexts (see this thread for what I hope is not going to be an ongoing "war of words" over the causes of nForce chipset MOBO system instability.....the implications that my suggestions in the forum are useless and help no one unless they have a 650i MOBO as I do...... ;)despite the real evidence of my suggestions helping those like yourself with 750i chipset MOBOs...... :D )......but also the GFX card performance........

Recommend you use the Mysticus C*'s 10.5.5 Combo Updater v1.1 package......... :)

I got the random freeze again by the way :(...I used 3GB RAM...I used to get them when I used maxmem=2048 aswell...(when I tried a few months ago)

So I took 1GB out of my pc, and so far so good...been using my mac for 3 hours, and no freeze yet, I really hope it's fixed...

And THANKS ALOT verdant :):):) I'm not sure if it's fixed or not, but I can tell it's alot more stable now :)

Verdant

Really really a great thanks to you if this solves the problem. If not thanks to you any ways :)

If you still get a random freeze, please post that here :)

Back to 4 GB of ram and IDE enabled..

after those Bios mod's everything is fine.

Will try Mystic update to 10.5.5

hope it works.. download apple update now and waiting for someone to PM me the link for "Pre Update and Post Update patch"

@ Kencenc, do you get kernel panics with the USB Ethernet Adapter? Cause I get kernel panics after 30 minutes using a USB WiFi...And I got the onboard LAN working with nForceEthernetDriver.kext someone created here...It worked perfectly at first, no drops, high speed internet, but then I got a kernel panic after an hour, and when I rebooted I kept getiing freeezes :S

I deleted the nForceEthernetDriver.kext cause it gave me a kernel panic..I found a new one, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...125569&st=0 It worked as first, no kernel panic..But system freeze after a while :S Tried with 3GB RAM, gave me a freeze and tried with maxmem=2048, which also gave me a freeze...I'm using 4 cores by the way..

Any suggestions?

sorry for later reply than i said the 10.5.5 update should fix it but i'm also will be trying the voodoo kernel which may help i found most kernels caused problems i currently an using the nforce kernel from iatkos the one for sse3 and not the core 2 one and freezes are almost gone after about an hour now but i have gotten longer. Will continue to post my findings and in next post will say what's disabled in bios as well as new kernel results;