10.5.5 OSX86 Tutorial From a Mac n00b (P45s like P5Q Pro)

MiahX

54 posts in this topic

If this guide helped you, please just leave a comment saying so.

Here is my little tutorial, I wrote this after spending way too many hours over the last week trying to figure it out. I have never used a Mac in my life up until doing this. I will continue to add to it as I learn it, feel free to help.

This guide is for installing Kalyway 10.5.2 and then upgrading it to 10.5.5

Make sure you set the OSX86 partition to primary or dual booting is an issue!

1. You MUST use a SATA DVD drive and a SATA HDD, because currently the IDE controller "Marvell 6121" in P5Q-PRO is not recognized. (This might be why you get "still waiting for root device")

Workarounds if you only have IDE:

a) You can get an IDE-SATA adapter for your drives (I used one for my DVD drive, works fine).

B) Use an external USB HDD/DVD drive.

c) You can copy the DVD files to install from a SATA HDD instead: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112033 (But not sure how you can do this from a Windows environment.)

2. You need to install a modifed BIOS for your P5Q which you will find for your mobo somewhere in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112033 or posted below. Also the newest P5Q Pro Bios may work unmodded, see here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=892949

3. You will always need to change your BIOS to AHCI mode to install or boot OSX, change it back to IDE when you want to use Windows (unless you install Windows while in AHCI mode). To do this, in your modified BIOS under 'MAIN>Storage Configuration>Configure SATA as', change from IDE to AHCI.

(You may also need to Disable Speedstep, C1E, TM Function etc. and enable 'Execute Disable'.)

4. Make sure you burn your OSX86 disk on good quality media and at a slower speed to avoid random install issues. Boot to the CD (or HDD with CD files on it) by either changing the boot order in the BIOS or possibly hitting F5 during post.

5. Install using basic install instructions with all defaults accept under "Kernals" I unchecked "Kernal_9.2_sleep" and checked "kernal_vanilla_92). (I also chose "Nvidia_Geforce" for my Nvidia video card).

Here is a great video that can help you if you already have Windows installed and want to install OSX on the same drive: http://www.streamocracy.com/watch/305d1a6308d2a0cf1c39/Watch (But I didn't end up needing it, as OSX later gave me a dual boot option.)

6. Once you restart after the install, you can either use the instructions in the video above to boot back to Windows, or if you didn't use that method you should get the option to boot to either install from OSX.

The first time I had trouble (prolly my fault) and had to do this to get back to Winders, just in case you have the same problem: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=123899&hl=

Troubleshooting: If you get an error screen at boot saying "You need to restart your computer.", reboot from the install DVD and go to Utilities>Disk Utility, choose your OSX partition and click Repair Disk. This might fix whatever you did. :)

7. How to update directly to 10.5.5:

Simply follow these instructions: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

(I chose the 9.5.0 Vanilla kernal, NVinject, and "Nvidia GFX Fix for NForce Chipsets")

8. Audio: Install a kext file (like a driver) found here to get audio working: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=827112

(use KextHelper to install it: http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html )

9. Now your drives show up as orange, here's how to fix that: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=108479

Basically unzip AHCIFix.zip to your desktop, and put in the code there line-by-line into the Terminal application.

The only downside is that the onboard LAN card does not have a .kext yet, so you will have to buy a working NIC card. I found one in one of my old computers that works pefectly (ENL832-TX).

I personally did all of this on the hardware you see in my sig below.

I hope this info helps somebody else save themselves from the headaches I went through!

Thanks to batsu and poopmonkey and a few others for help getting me up and running.

Hey, MiahX

Thanks for your tutorial!! :)

I wished I had that before.

I got a ASUS P5Q Pro

Could you get to work the Sound Card ALC 1200 as well? :)

I tried the p45audio.zip kext files and the AppleAzaliaAudio kext files, too. But without luck. The only thing I got is HD Audio in the sound preferences?! But that worked without installing the additional kext files, I guess. Anyways the system profiler still doesn't list any audio card.

I might add, I wanted to install a sound enhancement program and unless it doesn't find a real audio card it can't be installed. Well, it seems so, because on my Macbook it can be installed without hassle.

I wish I saw this topic earlier since I'v been tracing all these inf for days and finally got my Leo work.

I really wanna make the ethernet work 'cause I don't have any extra cards here~

Anyway,thanks a lot for those tips

I used the kext at the link in the guide there and audio works fine.

Um, if you mean the whole thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112033

I also downloaded 2 different kext files.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Specifically which kext files did you use?

And what is the Sound preferences saying? Is it just saying HD Audio in the Output tab? And what about the input tab?

I also got HD Audio, but that wouldn't be a fully working ALC1200 Audio card.

I installed Mac OS X by using the latest JAS 10.5.4 Edition, by the way.

If you use the P45audio.kext on the board, the audio will work (use kext helper to install it), but nothing will show up in the sound or system preferences. At the moment, that's as good as you're going to get with the onboard sound (and most lilkely that's how it will stay but you never know). If you need it to actually identify the audio card and give you details in the sound and system preferences, then you'll need to get different sound card. Hope that clears it up.

Um, if you mean the whole thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112033

And what is the Sound preferences saying? Is it just saying HD Audio in the Output tab? And what about the input tab?

I see the link was not directly to the post with the audio file, it's fixed now.

Do you have a P5Q Pro also? Tell us what settings you used to get Jas installed, it will help others as well.

I see the link was not directly to the post with the audio file, it's fixed now.

Do you have a P5Q Pro also? Tell us what settings you used to get Jas installed, it will help others as well.

Thanks for you update on the direct link.

So basically they (me included) got it to run HD Audio Output. :unsure:

Unfortunately this is not enough for me. Especially the Audio enhancement application called "Hear" doesn't seem to be installable, because no audio card is listed by the system profiler. That's only the symptom maybe there is another problem I don't know about?! :rolleyes::D

I wrote the settings in my signature. Basically it should install fine with the basic installation setup with Jas. There were some settings which led to an unbootable system, but if someone follows the basic steps in your tutorial it should be sufficient to succeed. :)

Just a heads up for some people:

If you are using the P5Q-PRO, make sure the SATA DVD drive is NOT plugged into the white or orange SATA ports on the motherboard. Only the red one's, as the orange / white one's are on a different controller, and you will get stuck with the "waiting for root device" message.

Thanks for you update on the direct link.

So basically they (me included) got it to run HD Audio Output. :unsure:

Unfortunately this is not enough for me. Especially the Audio enhancement application called "Hear" doesn't seem to be installable, because no audio card is listed by the system profiler. That's only the symptom maybe there is another problem I don't know about?! :rolleyes::withstupid:

I wrote the settings in my signature. Basically it should install fine with the basic installation setup with Jas. There were some settings which led to an unbootable system, but if someone follows the basic steps in your tutorial it should be sufficient to succeed. :sorcerer:

Where did you get the mod 1104 BIOS?

I currently have the mod 1004 BIOS.

I also see a lot of people saying you have to have your drives set to AHCI for OSX to work. I switched for install booted and needed to boot into windows (my vista install is on a RAID0) and when i went to go back in to OSX I forgot to put it back to AHCI... well it booted fine so I guess the whole AHCI isnt needed

Also el cheapo walmart ethernet card worked fine with tulip kext.... Network Everywhere card Realtek 8139 chip

If I try to boot OSX in AHCI mode I just get a crash at the Apple logo, can't boot. That has been what everyone else said also.

Interesting that yours works, not sure how.

UPDATE: Fixed the orange drives issue, added to the tut.

Here you go! :thumbsup_anim:

I got it from Ranix the frog

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0505&st=660

Look at the Post #672

Here is the direct link for the modded BIOS by Ranix

P5Q PRO 1104 BIOS

Thanks for the file.

BTW, I have everything working except the built-in LAN, which I replaced with a separate PCI card using the Realtek 8139 chipset. I have an ATI HD4850 video card installed in the second PCIe slot (used in Windows VISTA 64) and a HD3650 installed in the first PCIe slot (this card is used for OS x running a full hardware capability, Quartz Extrem, Quartz GL and running at 1920x1600 using the DVI interface, see the attachment for the video details). Time Machine works great including Front Row. I am very happy with the hardware setup. No problems to date. I used iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 for the install. Also tried JaS 10.5.4, which also worked, but not as well as iDeneb.

I also have Vista 64 installed on 2 Raid SATA drives. OS x is installed on the 3rd SATA drive within a separate partition. I use the MOBO's two separate BIOS save/load options, one specific to OS x and the other specific to OS x. That way, I never have to fiddle with separate BIOS settings for each OS setup.

I am now waiting until ATI releases the MAC drivers for the HD4850 and the hack, then I can eliminate the HD3650 video card. The MOBO has 4 GB ram (fully recognized) and Intel E8400 dual core CPU overclocked to 4.07 GHz without any stability problems.

Video_Card.tiff

I installed Leo4All but every time I use the updater it freezes halfway through and screws the install so I cant boot again and I have to reinstall.

Does anyone know why this would be?

System in sig.

Got everything working :)

I used this guide using Kalyway 10.5.2, I updated to 10.5.4 with the guide and used the delta installer for 10.5.5 and just removed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

I used EFI Studio for my video card. I used ALCinject for the Sound and bought a generic NIC adaptor. I also used hacked BIOS version 1104.

Thx everyone for your help.

Got everything working :)

I used this guide using Kalyway 10.5.2, I updated to 10.5.4 with the guide and used the delta installer for 10.5.5 and just removed the AppleIntelCPUThermo.kext.

I used EFI Studio for my video card. I used ALCinject for the Sound and bought a generic NIC adaptor. I also used hacked BIOS version 1104.

Thx everyone for your help.

Hi,

I have sound working on a Jas 10.5.4 but now with the 10.5.5 It doesn't work

Can you tell me what you have down to make it work on 10.5.5

Thanks,

Vincent