Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple TV as a router

5 posts in this topic

Ok i have search the internet and am struggling with this. I would like to use the Apple tv as a bridge from my wireless network to an Ethernet connection. Is there any way of doing this on apple tv 2.1 firmware.

Not easily that I can think of. The apple TV was made to take in the ethernet, not put out data. Sorry. Neat idea though!

Why are you claiming that "you can't do it"?

We are talking about simple functionality that exists inside of all network stacks for *every* operating system.

While I absolutely admit that I have personally not tried this under an AppleTV, you have a standard network stack that supports all aspects of the OSI model.

Just because there are no graphical tools available to make the whole process "pretty" doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

One thing that I do know for certain is that the AppleTV's base OS contains IPTables.

And here's a guide on how to set up exactly what you are talking about *with* IPTables.

Have a nice day!