Italian Fascist Government Blocks Torrent Site

21 posts in this topic

http://thepiratebay.org/blog/123

I shouldn't normally be able to access the above site, but I have my resources...

Fascist state censors Pirate Bay

We're quite used to fascist countries not allowing freedom of speech. A lot of smaller nations that have dictators decide to block our site since we can help spread information that could be harmful to the dictators.

This time it's Italy. They suffer from a really bad background as one of the IFPIs was formed in Italy during the fascist years and now they have a fascist leader in the country, Silvio Berlusconi. Berlusconi is also the most powerful person in Italian media owning a lot of companies that compete with The Pirate Bay and he would like to stay that way - so one of his lackeys, Giancarlo Mancusi, ordered a shutdown of our domain name and IP in Italy to make it hard to not support Berlusconis empire.

According to our Constitution the above should be illegal, it is censorship:

1)Reading the contents of a site can't be illegal.

2)Not all Pirate Bay torrents are illegal. There have been Linux torrents, for instance.

Read for instance post #13 of this forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035_102-0.htm...ssageID=2028610

Yes, I know that (I did something even better, LOL).

But I am annoyed by the principle.

Yeah, honestly legal P2P should be legal, I mean, I don't get why something like that would be banned. Oh well, it's not like the world is on its way of getting better...

It is very sad that somebody as young as you should say that. If I were God, I would very slowly fry all those who steal young people's hopes.

Well, he's not an idiot, nor am I. People I know seem to think the world is great for them, and for the most part, it is. I live in the wealthiest area in the US. Most of them don't care what goes on outside their little bubble of hope. As soon as I get enough money, my first order of business is to move out of the United States, and to get my relatives and closest friends out of the US. I don't want people around me to live in a 3rd world country.

Yeah, honestly legal P2P should be legal, I mean, I don't get why something like that would be banned. Oh well, it's not like the world is on its way of getting better...

The principle of P2P is wonderful, because it's sharing stuff. The problem is sharing things that you don't own. So are you saying the principle of it should be legal or should everything involved with it (including sharing stuff you don't technically own) be legal?

Alessandro, I read the Wikipedia article about your Prime Minister.

That alone was very troubling, and I see now why you call him a Mafioso.

Silvio Berlusconi has an extensive record of criminal allegations, including mafia collusion, false accounting, tax fraud, corruption and bribery of police officers and judges. Berlusconi has been tried in Italian courts in several cases.

My question to you is: how did this man get re-elected twice? Bush is widely unpopular here in the US, often lampooned in the media and in general conversation. I imagine public opinion of someone like Berlusconi being even lower, of course he does own some of the media :(

While we're on the subject of corruption in the Italian government:

Do you plan on leaving Italia?

My question to you is: how did this man get re-elected twice? Bush is widely unpopular here in the US, often lampooned in the media and in general conversation. I imagine public opinion of someone like Berlusconi being even lower, of course he does own some of the media :D

He owns the vast majority of all media. My fellow Italians who voted for him don't have much more brain activity than a zombie.

While we're on the subject of corruption in the Italian government:

Do you plan on leaving Italia?

I lived in Britain for about 15 years. I came back because my parents are elderly and alone (except for the few weeks when my sister is here).

I hope one day I can go back to Britain, but when that becomes possible I could be too old and tired myself.

italy is pretty famous for its semi anarchy and many short live goverments

Things have changed. This government has a large majority and, unless they argue among themselves (I think not, alas), they are here to stay.

the main problem here ibn italy(with berlusconi or nott) is that who executes the law.. usually doesn't have a clue of the law he's enforcing, nor he has a clue of the whole matter. in matter of p2p(in italy) there isn't a clear idea of what's illegall or what's not.

this year there was a time it was said that non lucrative p2p was legal(kinda) and now the main italian torrent site got closed, and tpb obscurated..

i'd say! make a clear law about p2p! idiots!!