Installing 10.5.4 on the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

dci693

171 posts in this topic

What do you do to make sleep, shutdown, and restart work? I haven't figured out how to make it work yet.
If you follow the guide, there's nothing special you need to do. Get your machine to sleep by going to the Apple menu and choosing Sleep. Wake up your computer by hitting the power button. Restart just works. Did you install the poweroff bug fix?

Guess I better post here, since this thread is dedicated to GA ep35-ds3l.

how can i check bios, mine is saying flash type/size..... MXIC 25L8005? is the the best and most recommended.

if not will I be able to update bios using a usb flash drive, since this hard disk is completely wiped out and I can use motherboard utilities like I do from windows to updated or downgrade it.

thanks.

***sORRY, just found out that I had updated to flash F.6a. downloaded the flash 5 and working on downgrading the bios now, since seems f.5 seems to be working best. By the way, I still have not figured out if you guys are using kalyway, leo4all or some other version this hack? ****

I still have not figured out if you guys are using kalyway, leo4all or some other version this hack? ****
I believe we're all using weaksauce12's guide, which requires the kalyway 10.5.2 distribution. Read the first post in this thread and follow the link to his guide.

The only thing that wasn't working on my EP35 board was wake from sleep. My board came with the F4 BIOS (different numbering than the P35 board) and I found that F5 was available, so I downloaded it from the GigaByte site. Here's a handy tip for those without a Windows computer around..., Darwine - http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/ - will let you run the self extracting archives to get at the tasty BIOS within. Which you can copy to a flash drive and use the QFlash utility to update your BIOS (press the END key during the first POST screen)...

)))))this just saved me hour's work (by not installing windows so to downgrade bios. thanks Patrick. (((((

AT dci693. thanks. I already have that distribution. will give it a swirl now.

I have built a system but it has the following problems: Please note that I have built the system following all instructions from weaksauce's guide, except that I did not:

a) install audio kexts, audio was working without them

2) and did not install lan drive, as i could surf the internet without a problem.

The following problems started to happen after I installed the minor updates as per weaksauce's instruction #8 (Download small updates) from apple's website, like java, itunes, updates.

1) Restart does not work, it just goes into long coma and I have to manually stop the system and then restart it. it was fine before the minor updates from apple.

2) Mouse occassionally hangs.

3) Keyboard occassionally hangs.

4) I am using v.52 Nvidia installer, it does not have support for 256mb card, I am using vanila software for my 8400gs 256mb cheap card. Graphics are fine, and QE Seems to be supported, but the font is not very good looking, seems a bit blurry and weak, specially the font at the top bar, like FILE, EDIT, VIEW, WINDOW HELP..... Don't know to explain it. But if you guys have noticed this problem, then I guess there must be some fix for it, or how to make the font bolder, stronger?

5) i can't enable AHCI, the system won't boot with AHCI enabled.

mtotho says there that there is a fix for this and I have downloaded it, the file's name is something like "newahcikexts" would it be wise if I install them? would I get great benefit in speed, etc if AHCI is enabled?

6) Ram only shows as 3gb without any speed, etc. whereas I am using 2 x 2gb (667mhz). I remember previously more than 3gb ram would generate kernel panics, so is it still a problem?

And how can I go about correcting the ram values. that is if they matter on performance, if not, then i guess it's not a major problem. And if it's no problem, then how can I make my system use more than 3gb ram only? Under system profiler > Memory> i see "No information found"

These are some of the things hope you guys can guide me on. If I can think of more, will request help later.

On the plus side, I am happy to report that using this guide has made the system much faster compare to my p5kc motherboard that I was using previously. Which is almost the same board in configuration (as GA-EP-DS3L). I was previously using that board with E6550 CPU. CPU cost me 200+$ that time but the performance was much slower and sluggish and I could not get many software to work on it.

With WeakSauce's guide all the programs work without a glitch, except some of the problems I mentioned above.

Also just now, using patrick's suggestion (on the first page of this guide, by using darwine's SW) I updated bios from f.5 to f6a for this board and so far I gave not noticed any problems.

All and any help is appreciated.

Build information is:

Board: ep35-ds3l. (Rev.1) CPU E2180, 2.0GHZ.

System Kalyway 10.5.4,

SATA 160Gb HD, SATA DVDRW,

Graphic card: Nvidia 8400GS 256MB.

2x 2gb stick ram.

mohkahn,

That's weird that you did not have to install the audio kexts. Did you uncheck all the install options except the ones that weaksauce said to check? I've installed OSX about 10 times and I've always had to use the kexts.

Are you using a PS/2 mouse/keyboard or USB?

I used the v5.2 Nvinstaller as well. The vanilla install is for 256mb RAM. My card (eVGA 7200GS) shows up in System Profiler correctly with 256mb VRAM.

The mtotho fix for problem in (5) is not a solution for with booting with AHCI. His kext files, I believe, are for allowing you to use AHCI without causing kernel panics if you are using 4gb RAM. Are you certain you've got the right BIOS settings?

I've got 4gb RAM and have had very few weird issues on my computer. I haven't had a kernel panic in a while. My RAM does however show up as 800MHz RAM (even though my system is overclocked and it's not running at the stock speed right now).

Since you're only showing 3gb of RAM, could your RAM be faulty?

Hello dci693.

Thanks for the questions:

1 ) Yes I remember well, I did not install the kexts for sound at the time of installation, since I knew i would be installing them later, but once I saw that sound was working, so I did not bother. And similarly for the Lan, since it was working, so did not install RTL kexts. Do you think the restart could have been affected, since I did not install these 2 kexts?

2) No, I am using ps2 keyboard and USB mouse. Do I must use a usb keyboard also? I have an old apple usb keyboard, it has very short cable so I must sit too close to the screen in order to use it, so I don't prefer to use it. It works OK, but when I want to install the system, it does not get recognized.

3) my card does not get recognized well, since I installed the kexts from mtotho's guide of PUNK V.1.92 and those kexts did not help in changing the display in anyway, i was still using 1024 x 768 resolution, but i did not uninstall those kexts before installing kexts from v.52Nvidia installer, since I did not know how, can you advise how i can uninstall both of them and then only re-install v.52 kexts? thanks. Maybe that could be my problem: System Profile shows as following:

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0422

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

L1953TR:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

L1953TR:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

4) Thanks for your explanation on AHCI + 4gbRam + Kernel Panic connection. I am sure I am using 4GB ram, but will run memtest and the other tool from weaksauce's guide to make sure that ram is not faulty. And also is it possible, if I am using ram of 2 gb, that maybe single channel (since it's from 2 different brands) that I am having this problem? Anyway I am going to post photos of my bios in the following post. And.....

5) I did 100% follow weaksauce's instructions, but restart stopped working after apple's minor update? Any idea how I can fix that?

Thanks for all the help again.

Sorry, I tried, but was not able to attach BIOS photos. So don't know how I can send them to you for now...

Hi Fellows, any succeeds with 10.5.5?
No. I'm waiting until weaksauce12 updates his guide before I do anything with my perfectly-working install. I haven't even seen much discussion of 10.5.5. Anything really good in it?

Hello dci693.

Thanks for the questions:

1 ) Yes I remember well, I did not install the kexts for sound at the time of installation, since I knew i would be installing them later, but once I saw that sound was working, so I did not bother. And similarly for the Lan, since it was working, so did not install RTL kexts. Do you think the restart could have been affected, since I did not install these 2 kexts?

Probably not. But that's very weird that you didn't have to install them to begin. Are you sure you've got the same board as the rest of us? :(

2) No, I am using ps2 keyboard and USB mouse. Do I must use a usb keyboard also? I have an old apple usb keyboard, it has very short cable so I must sit too close to the screen in order to use it, so I don't prefer to use it. It works OK, but when I want to install the system, it does not get recognized.
I know there's a PS/2 issue starting with 10.5.4 that you need a patch for. However you're having imtermittent issues with both devices, right?

3) my card does not get recognized well, since I installed the kexts from mtotho's guide of PUNK V.1.92 and those kexts did not help in changing the display in anyway, i was still using 1024 x 768 resolution, but i did not uninstall those kexts before installing kexts from v.52Nvidia installer, since I did not know how, can you advise how i can uninstall both of them and then only re-install v.52 kexts?
I remove video drivers by booting into safe mode with -x, follow the directions so you can write to your drive, go to the root of your OSX drive and run the movevideodrivers script file.
4) Thanks for your explanation on AHCI + 4gbRam + Kernel Panic connection. I am sure I am using 4GB ram, but will run memtest and the other tool from weaksauce's guide to make sure that ram is not faulty. And also is it possible, if I am using ram of 2 gb, that maybe single channel (since it's from 2 different brands) that I am having this problem? Anyway I am going to post photos of my bios in the following post. And.....
I don't think single-channel should cause any issues.
5) I did 100% follow weaksauce's instructions, but restart stopped working after apple's minor update? Any idea how I can fix that?
I saw on the other thread that you use the psystar kext to fix restart. Excellent!

No. I'm waiting until weaksauce12 updates his guide before I do anything with my perfectly-working install. I haven't even seen much discussion of 10.5.5. Anything really good in it?

According of some posts around the net… more speedy between 10% to 20% then 10.5.4…

Hi,

quick question for the group: with the EP35-DS3L, are you using the onboard nic? Or do you have an extra nic?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I don't think people have really weighed in with that information, though you might be able to get that info from peoples' signatures. I personally am using the on-board NIC with good success. I'm using DHCP to my router and I have no issues with my computer re-establishing a connection after wake from sleep. I can browse my iTunes music library from another Mac. I didn't install any additional kexts to get the LAN working.

quick question for the group: with the EP35-DS3L, are you using the onboard nic? Or do you have an extra nic?

I am a complete newbie and just managed to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on EP35-DS3L. Very smooth overall. The onboard NIC is working for me (typing this in Safari!) Had a small issue with trying to create a partition on my external USB hard disk -- kept getting input/output/partition errors, but solved it by plugging the disk into XP and using its disk management tools.

On-board sound works (listening to radio online through iTunes).

My Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 is not working properly, but my Natural 4000 keyboard is. I've plugged in a spare Logitech USB notebook mouse for now.

My Dell 2208WFP is stuck at 1024x768, and my 3 hard disks (NTFS) are seen by OS X but its contents cannot be read.

All in all, I am pretty amazed by the overall ease of installation. Freaking sweet. :(

My system specs:

Q6600 @3.0 GHz (333 x 9)

4GB DDR2-800 (2GB x 2)

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L rev 1.0

Corsair VX550W

Nvidia 7800GTX

Samsung 2.5" 80GB HD in ext USB enclosure (OS X is installed here)

W.D. Raptor 74GB

Seagate 500GB SATA

Hitachi 160GB PATA

Asus DVD-RW PATA

Sorry dci693, don't know how to quote you properly, so just going to do it as following:

""Probably not. But that's very weird that you didn't have to install them to begin. Are you sure you've got the same board as the rest of us? :rolleyes: ""

Yup, I am using exact same MB (GA-EP35-DS3L) and followed all of weaksauce's instructions, so it's weird alright. :unsure: Really can't explain it. Off course there is one % chance of me not remembering and installing the sound kext at the very beginning of installation. :unsure: But that's just 1% chance...

""I know there's a PS/2 issue starting with 10.5.4 that you need a patch for. However you're having imtermittent issues with both devices, right?""

Yes. Sometimes mouse freezes, sometime KB, but over the last 2-3 days it has not happened, and both are working fine. But incase they start acting up, where do you think I should look for the related kexts? and what would be the names or the kexts or perhaps names of the kext issuers? Thanks.

"I remove video drivers by booting into safe mode with -x, follow the directions so you can write to your drive, go to the root of your OSX drive and run the movevideodrivers script file"

Sorry I am total noob, I will give your above instructions a try, but little more info will be very helpful, for e.g 1) how can I write to drive? and how to go to root? and where will be the movievideodrivers script, etc and do I remove both of them first and then restart system in normal mode and install v.52 kext again? Thanks.

"I don't think single-channel should cause any issues"

OK, for ram, will keep looking around for more solutions..For now will have to put up with 3gb ram without any more info. :( it's weired, cos my other MB will show 4gb, and using maxmem's entry, it will work at 3gb, but will still show ram as 4gb. anyway..

"I saw on the other thread that you use the psystar kext to fix restart. Excellent!"

Yes. it was perfect timing and it's a joy to be able to restart without having to do cold reboot.

I read weaksauce is soon gonna be putting up 10.5.5, let's hope it makes it much more stable system to work with. I am finally glad I bought this MB... :angel: there were only few left in my town.. they said, it's old.. i say, old is gold for me..

I don't think people have really weighed in with that information, though you might be able to get that info from peoples' signatures. I personally am using the on-board NIC with good success. I'm using DHCP to my router and I have no issues with my computer re-establishing a connection after wake from sleep. I can browse my iTunes music library from another Mac. I didn't install any additional kexts to get the LAN working.

Thanks a lot for the info dci693, that's what I thought, but I just wanted to check as weaksauce is recommending in his guide to not to use the onboard nic.

Thanks a lot for the info dci693, that's what I thought, but I just wanted to check as weaksauce is recommending in his guide to not to use the onboard nic.
He's done much more testing than I, so he's run up against situations in which it did not work for him. On my second hack, I had to set the NIC to use DCHP with manual address in order to get it to reconnect properly after wake from sleep. I have not shared printers or other devices using Bonjour, so I don't know if that's working. And I haven't really tried file sharing. IIRC, weaksauce12 advises you to plug in your networking device BEFORE installation. I don't know if adding one at this point would work OK. Theoretically, I don't see why don't since I can add other networking devices and have them detected (bluetooth dongle, Parallels desktop and VMWare networking vitual adapters).

OK everyone I have this mobo and originally installed kalyway 10.5.2 everything worked great. I upgraded to 10.5.5 thru apple website using appleintelcpupowermangement.kext disabler.

Now the sound is kind of messed up it distorts especially when 2 different sounds overlap (ie the empty trash over music on itunes).

My question is do i need to use AppleHDAPatcher and alc888 to fix it ? Or is the some efistrings that'll work better .

Thanks

Add me to the list of satisfied weaksauce customers :D

The key problem for me was the USB external hard drive, either the drive itself or the enclosure. Installed Leopard on my new Seagate 640gb and it's screaming fast. (and stable too)

I haven't tested resume yet, but shutdown is not working properly I *think*...

<br />He's done much more testing than I, so he's run up against situations in which it did not work for him. On my second hack, I had to set the NIC to use DCHP with manual address in order to get it to reconnect properly after wake from sleep. I have not shared printers or other devices using Bonjour, so I don't know if that's working. And I haven't really tried file sharing. IIRC, weaksauce12 advises you to plug in your networking device BEFORE installation. I don't know if adding one at this point would work OK. Theoretically, I don't see why don't since I can add other networking devices and have them detected (bluetooth dongle, Parallels desktop and VMWare networking vitual adapters).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks... I am not ready to start installing the OS as I haven't build the PC that will run it yet. I'll try with the build-in NIC and go from there. Thanks again for your help.

If you follow the guide, there's nothing special you need to do. Get your machine to sleep by going to the Apple menu and choosing Sleep. Wake up your computer by hitting the power button. Restart just works. Did you install the poweroff bug fix?

Sleep and restart is working for me, but I'm wondering if I forgot to install the poweroff bug fix.

What exactly does this fix do? At the moment when I shut down, my LCD goes black but the power supply and fans stay on, as well as the lights on the case. Is this what this "PowerOff bug fix" does?

Edit - tried the poweroff bug fix still no go. Might be time to upgrade to the F5 BIOS.

Edit #2 - Apparently my restart wasn't working on the F4 BIOS either. But have just upgraded to F5 and I can confirm that Restart AND Shutdown are both working.

Sleep and restart is working for me, but I'm wondering if I forgot to install the poweroff bug fix.

What exactly does this fix do? At the moment when I shut down, my LCD goes black but the power supply and fans stay on, as well as the lights on the case. Is this what this "PowerOff bug fix" does?

Edit - tried the poweroff bug fix still no go. Might be time to upgrade to the F5 BIOS.

Edit #2 - Apparently my restart wasn't working on the F4 BIOS either. But have just upgraded to F5 and I can confirm that Restart AND Shutdown are both working.

Interesting. Everything worked for me on F4 and it still worked fine on F5. I'm guessing it's really sensitive to your particular hardware (esp. the graphics card) and not just the motherboard.

System:

Motherboard GA-EP35 DS3L BIOS F4

CPU: Intel Pentium D 915 2.8

Video Card: ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (512MB)

Hard Drives: Maxtor 500GB SATA, WD 120GB SATA, Seagate 160GB IDE.

CD/DVD Rom: HP 1040i Lightscribe IDE

Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB sticks)

I initially had an Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard and a Saphire Radeon ATI 9600SE AGP graphics card, which I managed to get working with Kalyway 10.5.2 with verious patches for onboard Lan,sound and the graphics card. I had Kalyway installed on my Seagate IDE hard drive. Owing to I could not get PC_EFI or Vanilla working thus upgrade to 10.5.4 via the Apple site (probably owing to the Asrock Mobo having a VIA chipset) and I couldn't even update Safari to the latest version I decided to change the motherboard to a more compatible one. Not being able to find the GA-P35 DS3L anywhere I opted for the GA-EP35 DS3L.

At the moment I have Vista Ultimate on my Maxtor 500GB SATA. Nothing on my WD SATA and my Seagate IDE hard drive still has Kalyway on it but is currently not connected. I started to get an issue on my old system where Vista wouldn't boot with it connected and I wanted to get this system working before I try connecting it, plus I want to put Kalyway on my WD SATA which crashed in my old system but looks as though it was a problem with my Asrock Motherboard as it seems to work fine on the Gigabyte.

Using weaksauce12 guide I changed the BIOS settings to what he says in his guide. I save the settings and reboot of my Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. It seems to work fine at first but then I get a repating message saying 'still waiting for root device' I rebooted several times but it is the same every time. I tried booting from a copy of iATKOS V4.0i and this gets into the Apple boot screen but then I get a message saying I need to reboot my PC.

Reading through this thread it seems that some people have had problems with ACHI being selected in the BIOS so it may be that, especially as I couldn't boot into Vista afterwards without selecting safe defaults in the BIOS. I am thinking it may be an issue with the Gigabyte Jmicron IDE controller? Yet other people seem to be using IDE with this board with no issues. With my Asrock board it would boot from the DVD ok.

I will try again without ACHI being selected and will report back. In the meantime has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Russ.

I will try again without ACHI being selected and will report back. In the meantime has anyone got any suggestions?
Could be your IDE DVD drive, even if it worked on a different board to load kalyway 10.5.2. Certainly try various ACHI options as other have in this thread.