Installing 10.5.4 on the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

dci693

171 posts in this topic

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried setting SATA ACHI Mode to Disabled and SATA Port0-1 Native Mode to Disabled in the BIOS and I am still getting the same message. 'Still waiting for root device.' Are there any other settings I could try?

Thanks

Russ.

I connected my IDE hard drive with my old Kalyway install on it. I rebooted and I did not get the 'still waiting for root device' error but I got panics regarding my IDE hard drive, I assume because it has Kalyway on it installed on my old Asrock VIA chipset system. I am currently formatting the drive and will try again and then report back.

Ok I have been trying different things with this and still no joy B)

I am getting some errors and I am not sure what all these mean so I'll write them here and hope someone can help me with this.

BSD root: disk3s2, major14, minor 7.

SAN Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x04, ASC = 0x08, ASCQ = 0x03

SAN Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x04, ASC = 0x08, ASCQ = 0x03

disk3s2 I/O error.

0 [level 3] [ReadUID 0] [facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType [0]] [ErrNo 5] [iOType Read] [PBlkNum 1502] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 1256756082] [FSLogOrder First]

0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [facility com.apple.system.fs] [DeviceNode root_device] [MountPt /] [FSLogMsgID 1256756002] [FSLogOrder Last]

hfs_mountroot failed: 5

nfs_boot: networking is not initialized.

panic(cpu caller 0x002D8862): "nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/bsd/nfs/nfs_vfsops.e:851

Debugger called <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potentail args on stack)

(here there are a list of addresses and it then says)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Kernel_task.

MAC OS Version:

Not yet set

Kernal version:

Darwin Kernal version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:00 SCT 2008: made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_1386

I am assuming that most of that is do to with not being able to read the DVD? I have tried the original DVD I used when I installed my original Hackintosh on my Asrock motherboard and I have burned another copy and tried that.

Can anyone help me out here as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

Here is my slightly different approach, which is actually a mixture of the tseug's guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=120540 and weaksauce12's guide which you all know, maybe some of you are interested.

I don't want to describe all again in depth and step by step, but you could find all information and needed files etc. by reading the above mentioned threads.

1. Boot with tsengs provided iso image for the DS4 series.

2. Install from retail DVD; 10.5 is what i used

3. Install combo update 10.5.5 + the rest of updates using the software updater

-> After that i lost bonjour support which worked before

-> Installed the R1000 driver kext and bonjour worked again

-> Macintosh HD was discovered as a removable device

4. Install Chameleon

5. Install kexts by running post_install script provided by eclau in first post

-> after that Macintosh HD disk was detected as a normal disc again ...

(6. I used EFIStudio v8 to patch boot.plist... for my GF7900GT)

7. Used AppleHDA Patcher v1.2 + alc888-a.txt dump in order to get audio working like mentioned in one of the earlier posts

8. Install CHUD framwork (downloaded it from Apple)

9. Installed power off fix which didn't work for me.

-> So i started the little poweroff app by hand within the shell

and got the following error message: GetHostUUIDString ... Error 35

I found the following on netkas forum http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html and the error message, which also appeared while installing apps via macports etc. disappeared.

I am not 100% sure but i think my shutdown problem was related to this, but the next time i tried to shutdown it worked, even it won't have been a big issue for me to finally turn the maschine off by hand ...

Thanx to all of you for making my hackintosh possible

woelfs

GA-EP35-DS3L of course

Q6600

4GB Kinston ...

GF7900GT

Well tried to update to 10.5.5 twice...

First through delta update... Fail

Then through the appleintelpowermanagement.kext sleep through terminal and that also failed.

So I recommend you stay put at 10.5.4 until someone figures this out.

Q6600

EVGA 8800GT(needed efi string)

GA-EP35-DS3L

2x2GB OCZ 800 DDR2 RAM

WD 500GB SATA and Seagate 500GB IDE external

Antec Sonata III

NetgearUSBWirelessAdapter

100% except for airtunes.

I have sorted out my install problem, I bought a SATA DVD and it booted with no problems.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 following the weaksauce12 guide. I then istalled the Kalyway 10.5.3 update and it all rebooted fine. I then installed the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update with no problems. I then installed the AppleACIPIPlatform.kext with kext helper. I then installed the CHUD.pkg.

I opened finder and clicked on my boot disc as directed in the guide but I could not find the directory "Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes", likewise I could not find Processor.PrefPane in the Tutorial Package if that is where it is meant to be, so I had to skip this step.

I then installed the PowerOff bug fix and then clicked on restart on the 10.5.4 update as directed. Now the system will not start it just keeps rebooting just before it goes to the apple boot screen.

Can anyone help me out here. Is this because of the step I skiped? If so how do you navigate to Developers > Extras > PreferencesPanes? I searched through all the folders on my boot drive. Also where do you find the Processor.PrefPane file, is there something I have not downloaded?

Thanks.

OK I booted up of my install disk and ran check file permissions and it came up with a load of errors relaiting to AppleACPIPlatform, when I say a load I mean a load. I am guessing that kext helper did not install it correctly? I ran repair file permissions and it repaired them ok. I then tried to reboot from my hard drive but it still keeps rebooting. Can anyone throw any light on this? I now know from googleing Processor.PrefPane that it is something you install from within mac, so that is no longer a problem. If anyone can help with the rebooting I would appriciate it, thanks.

I opened finder and clicked on my boot disc as directed in the guide but I could not find the directory "Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes", likewise I could not find Processor.PrefPane in the Tutorial Package if that is where it is meant to be, so I had to skip this step.
Check post #153 here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry827204

Thanks for your reply. After installing the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update I installed the AppleACIPIPlatform.kext with kext helper, installed the CHUD package and then installed Processor.prefPane and the PowerOff bug fix. I then click on restart on the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update as instructed in weaksauce's guide and it will still not boot. As soon as it gets to the point where it should go to the Apple boot screen (white screen with Apple logo and spinning wheel) the screen goes blank and then it just reboots.

Can anyone help me out here? I set the BIOS to the settings in the guide with the exception to setting ACHI to enabled because with this enabled my Vista install will not boot (maybe because it was disabled during my Vista install) Also even though I have an IDE DVD and IDE Hard Drive I have dissabled IDE in the BIOS.

I partioned my drive to 1 partition set it to GUID and format to Mac extended (journaled).

Prior to installing the 10.5.4 update all works fine.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. After installing the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update I installed the AppleACIPIPlatform.kext with kext helper, installed the CHUD package and then installed Processor.prefPane and the PowerOff bug fix. I then click on restart on the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update as instructed in weaksauce's guide and it will still not boot. As soon as it gets to the point where it should go to the Apple boot screen (white screen with Apple logo and spinning wheel) the screen goes blank and then it just reboots.

Can anyone help me out here? I set the BIOS to the settings in the guide with the exception to setting ACHI to enabled because with this enabled my Vista install will not boot (maybe because it was disabled during my Vista install) Also even though I have an IDE DVD and IDE Hard Drive I have dissabled IDE in the BIOS.

I partioned my drive to 1 partition set it to GUID and format to Mac extended (journaled).

Prior to installing the 10.5.4 update all works fine.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks.

This could be a long shot, but I noticed from your sig that you had a Pentium 915. While it might not matter, I think the guide is written assuming a C2D or Pentium Dual Core chip - not a Pentium D chip. I know that the power off bug fix works by shutting down one of the cores of the Core series chips. I wonder if that's not meant to work with the Pentium D series. Even if that were the case though, it would just affect shut down, not a cold boot.

My other wild guess: update to BIOS F5. I had no issues with F4, but lots of people had problems until they went to F5.

Thanks for your reply dci693. I did wonder myself at first if it was a cpu related thing but then remembered that a friend of mine with a Pentium D installed Kalyway 10.5.2, then 10.5.3 combo and then the official Apple 10.5.4 update directly from automatic updates and he didn't have any problems, which makes me think that although a lot of this stuff requires Dual Core or Core 2 Dual cpu's the 10.5.4 should run on my pentium D too? He is using an Asrock board with an Intel 945 / ICH7 chipset. Everything seems very delicate and it seems as one little thing can make a big difference. For example when I was runing Kalyway on my old Asrock VIA board all my USB2 ports worked perfectly yet my webcam wouldn't work. Now I have the GA-EP35 DS3L board the same webcam works fine!! Why? Don't make sense to me.

I tried an instal of iDeneb Leopard 10.5.4 tonight and that is working fine, tho I am not sure if all Apple downloads will install on it, the Safari update wouldn't on my 10.5.3. I did wonder if it was my video card as when I looked on the PCWIZ wiki earlier today my card is listed as working but needing patching after 10.5.3 update.

When I am in the mood to try Kalyway again in a few days time I will try flashing my BIOS to F5 first, see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your reply.

Russ.

Here is my slightly different approach, which is actually a mixture of the tseug's guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=120540 and weaksauce12's guide which you all know, maybe some of you are interested.

I don't want to describe all again in depth and step by step, but you could find all information and needed files etc. by reading the above mentioned threads.

I'm a bit confused by this, as your link merely references back to THIS thread. What is "tsengs" provided iso image? I'm sorry, I just can't find any reference to this....

5. Install kexts by running post_install script provided by eclau in first post

-> after that Macintosh HD disk was detected as a normal disc again ...

Same issue: I could find no reference to "eclau" or podt_install script. Did you reference the right thread?

Just asking for a bit of clarification if possible!

Phaedrusdijk

I'm a bit confused by this, as your link merely references back to THIS thread. What is "tsengs" provided iso image? I'm sorry, I just can't find any reference to this....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115877

Same issue: I could find no reference to "eclau" or podt_install script. Did you reference the right thread?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117763

hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience

/woelfs

Hello,

I have a machine (described below) that I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on without a problem and now I am trying this install. I have a GA-EP35-DS3L mother board so I am a little different but not sure how different.

I erased the drive but didn't re-partition because it was already GUID. (edit- Since I tried deleting the entire partition and re-creating it. I still have the same problem.)

I formatted the 200mb EFI

I added the files to the EFI - no kext so far though. file: efi_boot.zip

I downloaded the boot 132 file: BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.zip

Now I boot the 132 ok.

Then put the retail DVD in and typed -v enter

Then F8 for the CD_ROM and and -v enter again.

It boots to the purple light nebula splash screen and I get the beach ball spinning for a while.

Then the beach ball disappears after a while and I am left looking into the purple of light of the nebula until I turn old and grey and go into the light....

Here is my hardware:

MB: GA-EP35-DS3L/S3L

Chipset: North Bridge: Intel P35 Express

South: Intel ICH9

Intel: Core 2 Quad Q6600

Audio: Realtek ALC888

Video: 8800 GT 512mb

wifi: ASUS WL-138G V2

Any ideas??

PS- What is QE/CI ????

(PSS- I put this question in another thread but realized it was not directly realted. Not sure of the etiquette here. I guess I need to delete my old post?)

Hello,

I have a machine (described below) that I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on without a problem and now I am trying this install. I have a GA-EP35-DS3L mother board so I am a little different but not sure how different.

I erased the drive but didn't re-partition because it was already GUID. (edit- Since I tried deleting the entire partition and re-creating it. I still have the same problem.)

I formatted the 200mb EFI

I added the files to the EFI - no kext so far though. file: efi_boot.zip

I downloaded the boot 132 file: BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.zip

Now I boot the 132 ok.

Then put the retail DVD in and typed -v enter

Then F8 for the CD_ROM and and -v enter again.

It boots to the purple light nebula splash screen and I get the beach ball spinning for a while.

Then the beach ball disappears after a while and I am left looking into the purple of light of the nebula until I turn old and grey and go into the light....

Here is my hardware:

MB: GA-EP35-DS3L/S3L

Chipset: North Bridge: Intel P35 Express

South: Intel ICH9

Intel: Core 2 Quad Q6600

Audio: Realtek ALC888

Video: 8800 GT 512mb

wifi: ASUS WL-138G V2

Any ideas??

PS- What is QE/CI ????

(PSS- I put this question in another thread but realized it was not directly realted. Not sure of the etiquette here. I guess I need to delete my old post?)

Obviously sounds like you're trying to do a retail install. That process is covered in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117763

This thread covers the weaksauce12 method (for lack of a better name), which starts with the kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

QE (Quartz Enabled) and CI (Core Image) refer to two graphics technologies used by OSX. If you want 100% compatibility with OSX apps, you need a video card that will support both. Best central location for that info is the HCL which you can get to from here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Interesting. Everything worked for me on F4 and it still worked fine on F5. I'm guessing it's really sensitive to your particular hardware (esp. the graphics card) and not just the motherboard.

I got my 9800GTX+ installed as you know, and I've left OS X alone so it still thinks it is running a 7800GTX. I'm not sure if I will even bother updating the kexts and drivers. All I know is that games (namely TF2) looks amazing in 1920x1200 with max details (Vista only).

Just one problem though - my soft restarts aren't working properly anymore. However, I don't think it can be pinned to just OS X as my Vista 64 installation has the same symptoms: invoke restart command with mouse, give it a few seconds...it seems to shut down and I get the black screen... but doesn't reboot. Eventually my LCD monitor goes into power saving mode.

Leaning more towards hardware at this point (PSU maybe?) or a setting in the BIOS...

I got my 9800GTX+ installed as you know, and I've left OS X alone so it still thinks it is running a 7800GTX. I'm not sure if I will even bother updating the kexts and drivers. All I know is that games (namely TF2) looks amazing in 1920x1200 with max details (Vista only).

Just one problem though - my soft restarts aren't working properly anymore. However, I don't think it can be pinned to just OS X as my Vista 64 installation has the same symptoms: invoke restart command with mouse, give it a few seconds...it seems to shut down and I get the black screen... but doesn't reboot. Eventually my LCD monitor goes into power saving mode.

Leaning more towards hardware at this point (PSU maybe?) or a setting in the BIOS...

I tend to lean towards video cards as being major culprits. Is Vista doing the same thing with this card? Or was the same problem happening under OSX/Vista on the old card?

Yes, same thing happened with the new card in Vista after a gaming session. So that should theoretically rule out OS X as being a problem.

Didn't experience this with the 7800GTX under Vista nor OS X. Perhaps I need to flash BIOS for my 9800GTX+? Or, I should probably just leave it as is... just like I haven't bothered to update my GFX strings to make OS X properly recognize my new card. I'm usually one to always update to the latest drivers and such, but after so many OS X re-installations I'm going back to the ol' "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy for my Hackintosh ;)

After two days of effort and a lot of forum investigations, i have a 100% working install... So I want to share my experience to help some others save some time.

My config:

- MB: euh, what could it be?

- e6600 @ 3.2 (not too much, perfect for the perf)

- 4go ram

- sata dvd rom samsung

- wmp300n

- pny 8800gts 320mo

- 750go western digital

- bios f5

everything went perfect following weeksauce guide (thanks to him)

2 issues came:

- wmp300n, needed to get the old io80211family.kext. I have installed after the video card but as soon as you install after whatever ethernet kext you use it is fine otherwise it does not work on my config. fully working at n speed after reboot. one thing this card does not work in tkip mode for me only aes.

- after 1 day of research, the geforce 8800 gts 320, i initially use the nvinject as recommended by weeksauce: IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL, oh ok it works but no qe/ci

tried everythiing and finally retried nvkush after a fresh install. it did not work directly because you have a few kexts (in contents info.plist) to edit manually after install:

- geforce.kext, put in your device id: mine was 0x019310de

- nvdaresman.kext, same thing

- nvdahal40 and 50, same thing

- nvkush.txt, here put your vendor id 0x10de

reboot, it works faster that ever.

hope it helps

thanks again to weeksauce and the author of the guide

I used the iDeneb 10.5.5 installation and was able to get things up and running.

ALmost everything works perfectly (and I get a big graphical upgrade in World of Warcraft with the new video drivers built into 10.5.5). Shutdown and sleep are not reliable, but I don't use them on my Mac (it runs 24/7).