Installing 10.5.4 on the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

dci693

171 posts in this topic

I did everything just like the guide said. Kalaway 10.5.2. I skipped the instalation disk check. The only thing I can think of is to let it run through the check. I'm also going to buy sata DVD drive and see if that helps. I was hopng someone had seen this problem before and already knew the fix.

I did everything just like the guide said. Kalaway 10.5.2. I skipped the instalation disk check. The only thing I can think of is to let it run through the check. I'm also going to buy sata DVD drive and see if that helps. I was hopng someone had seen this problem before and already knew the fix.
I wanted to see if it was during the 10.5.2 install to see if it was likely the DVD or the DVD drive. It could be either. Try re-burning the disc at the slowest speed possible. I've heard that can solve some issues. Or you can wait for the SATA drive. It solved seanmcgpa's issue!

everything is working except Ethernet from sleep and video card at 320 instead of 512 because the screen goes blackand I have toerase the black. Oh yeah FireWire doesn't work either, not sure why. I'm super happy this thing works though. Yahooo. Thanks guys.

everything is working except Ethernet from sleep and video card at 320 instead of 512 because the screen goes blackand I have toerase the black. Oh yeah FireWire doesn't work either, not sure why. I'm super happy this thing works though. Yahooo. Thanks guys.
Are you using the default Ethernet driver? And are you using DHCP? My EP35 board is running DHCP and it wakes from sleep fine. My P35 board, requires DCHP with manual address to properly wake from sleep and "regain" connectivity. I don't have any Bonjour or AFP shares, so I don't know if any of that would work.

Hey...

First of all, big ups to everyone involved in this (wider) project...

Now I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 succesfully on the EP35, but running the Combo installer does nothing at all (console reports a broken pipe). Same with the Kernel 10.5.3 installer.

The 10.5.4 update runs as expected but obviously refuses to install on a 10.5.2 system.

(I also get two errors on startup saying that the inserted disk can't be read, but I assume that's the other two unformatted harddisks.)

Everything else seems to work at this point: boot, restart, shutdown, all RAM is visible etc.

Here's my sys:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, F4 BIOS

Intel Q6600, G0 Stepping

XFX 8600GTS 256MB

G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 6400

Samsung SATA-II 1x160GB, 2x640GB

Pioneer SATA DVD-RW 215

I appreciate all and any help. Of course, I have scanned the relevant threads for this error but may have missed something....

EDIT #1:

Also, it hangs sometimes after it's been on for a while when I try to open the DVD door. Something else to investigate, probably unrelated...?

EDIT #2:

By the way, I followed the guide to the letter up to this point, with the following exceptions:

- I am using on-board ethernet (set in BIOS).

- Keyboard and mouse are PS/2 (also set in BIOS).

Hey...

First of all, big ups to everyone involved in this (wider) project...

Now I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 succesfully on the EP35, but running the Combo installer does nothing at all (console reports a broken pipe). Same with the Kernel 10.5.3 installer.

The 10.5.4 update runs as expected but obviously refuses to install on a 10.5.2 system.

(I also get two errors on startup saying that the inserted disk can't be read, but I assume that's the other two unformatted harddisks.)

Everything else seems to work at this point: boot, restart, shutdown, all RAM is visible etc.

Here's my sys:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, F4 BIOS

Intel Q6600, G0 Stepping

XFX 8600GTS 256MB

G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 6400

Samsung SATA-II 1x160GB, 2x640GB

Pioneer SATA DVD-RW 215

I appreciate all and any help. Of course, I have scanned the relevant threads for this error but may have missed something....

EDIT #1:

Also, it hangs sometimes after it's been on for a while when I try to open the DVD door. Something else to investigate, probably unrelated...?

EDIT #2:

By the way, I followed the guide to the letter up to this point, with the following exceptions:

- I am using on-board ethernet (set in BIOS).

- Keyboard and mouse are PS/2 (also set in BIOS).

Are you sure your memory is good? And when you say: "Keyboard and mouse are PS/2 (also set in BIOS)" what do you mean? You should still set all the USB keyboard/mouse/legacy settings exactly as they are in weaksauce12's guide. And your PS/2 input devices will stop working in 10.5.4 unless you apply the PS/2 fix.

Hi dci693, thanks for the prompt reply...

EDIT #1

I just tried to reload the torrent for the combo. Even though it's the same size, the hash is obviously different because it's starting from scratch. Whoops. Let's try that again... :P

EDIT #2

And I'm through to the end... Almost. Now after the grey apple screen the fan on my video card turns off, and the screen goes black. I can fill it in by dragging a window around. The window draw is sluggish.

Looks like a few others have this problem (eg silver911r). Hmmm...

Thank you a lot for this guide; I am now running Léo 10.5.4 with GA EP35-DS3R without any issue; I have a ATI 3650 Sapphire radeon with 512 Ram and it works with QE/CI !

My install process was kaly 10.5.2; then use Jas 10.5.3 update (kaly update does not work with Radeon HD) and then the 10.5.4 normal update.

After install ATI driver and GA-P35 installer for drivers and fix !

Regards

Hi dci693, thanks for the prompt reply...

EDIT #1

I just tried to reload the torrent for the combo. Even though it's the same size, the hash is obviously different because it's starting from scratch. Whoops. Let's try that again... :blush:

EDIT #2

And I'm through to the end... Almost. Now after the grey apple screen the fan on my video card turns off, and the screen goes black. I can fill it in by dragging a window around. The window draw is sluggish.

Looks like a few others have this problem (eg silver911r). Hmmm...

Yeah, in the end it might just be a video card incompatibility issue unfortunately.

I followed weaksauce's guide exactly with a couple exceptions in the BIOS. The system is running 100% except dual head monitor support which I'm going to get a compatible video card for.

First, here's my system:

GA-EP35-DS3P mobo (F5 BIOS)

E-6400 2.13Ghz c2d

2GB 667mhz kingston ram

Sapphire radeon x1300 (native resolution, but VGA only)

El Cheapo IDE DVD-R

80 Gig Maxtor IDE HD (OSX)

320 Gig WD SATA (x2)

I installed directly from the IDE DVD-R to the IDE HD. No problems. When just the IDE drives were connected everything was fine, but when I hooked up any SATA cable it wouldn't boot.....it would just hang on the verifying DMI pool. The odd thing is that a drive didn't even have to be connected to the SATA cable to cause that problem! i.e. I couldn't even have the E-SATA breakout panel plugged into the MoBo. I ended up getting to the bottom of it by altering these BIOS settings from weaksauces recomendations:

-SATA RAID/ACHI Moded - DISABLED

-SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode - DISABLED

-Onboard SATA/IDE Device - ENABLED

-Onboard SATA/IDE Cntrl Moded - AHCI

With those settings all IDE & SATA internal drives are working. The 2 purple onboard SATA ports are running ACHI so I have both of them going to the E-SATA breakout panel. Hot swapping works as it should on those 2 ports now.

Also worth noting that powerdown/restart/sleep all worked for me with both the F2 BIOS that shipped with the board and the latest F5.

Yeah, in the end it might just be a video card incompatibility issue unfortunately.

I managed to get rid of the blackness, but the fan still turns off (which I'll try and hotwire).

What I did:

- Installed everything except ATI and Intel stuff from LeopardGraphicsUpdate 1.0 via Pacifist, after installing Kalyway 10.5.2.

- Used EFI Studio to add the 8600gts, also at this stage.

- Everything else according to the guide but I left out NVInstaller.

So fingers crossed...

I started with a Kalyway installation from an older machine. Reinstalled 10.5.2 and upgraded to 10.5.3 works as per recipe. The upgrade to 10.5.4 (and the related kext instructions) make my machine hang (at least no keyboard or mouse control) at the login screen. So I think I will stick with 10.5.3.

I started with a Kalyway installation from an older machine. Reinstalled 10.5.2 and upgraded to 10.5.3 works as per recipe. The upgrade to 10.5.4 (and the related kext instructions) make my machine hang (at least no keyboard or mouse control) at the login screen. So I think I will stick with 10.5.3.
If you are using a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse, did you install the PS/2 fix?

Oops. Are you suggesting I follow the upgrade as per the guide, then restart with usb keyboard, install the ps/2 fix and that I can then revert to ps/2 setup?

The fact that I am using mbr and an ide player, should not cause any problems for the upgrade right?

Oops. Are you suggesting I follow the upgrade as per the guide, then restart with usb keyboard, install the ps/2 fix and that I can then revert to ps/2 setup?

The fact that I am using mbr and an ide player, should not cause any problems for the upgrade right?

I think the best method is to install the 10.5.4 update, but before rebooting install the PS/2 fix, then reboot. That is, just before step 4.6 in weaksauce12's guide, install the PS/2 fix.

MBR should not pose any issues. There's some suspicion that IDE devices are causing some instability, but nothing's been proven yet.

Adding another successful build using the Weaksauce guide 100%

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L (rev 1.0, F4)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05

ENCORE ENLGA-1320 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Ethernet Card

MSI NX7300GS-TD256EH GeForce 7300GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Seems pretty stable so far, although I haven't really stressed the system yet. Restart, shutdown, sleep all work.

Only change to the guide that i had to make was to set my nvinstaller to "Vanilla" for my GPU and to the Bios so that my CPU was running at the correct multiplier and FSB.

Only change to the guide that i had to make was to set my nvinstaller to "Vanilla" for my GPU and to the Bios so that my CPU was running at the correct multiplier and FSB.
Yes, if you have 256mb in your card, that's the default, but you need to choose vanilla to continue. And regarding your BIOS settings, are you saying that your CPU was not initially set to the correct multiplier and/or FSB? My multiplier was set wrong, but the FSB was fine. I was also on the F4 BIOS, but I've since flashed to F5 with no problems so far.

After I installed the new card and nvinject vanilla I don't have to boot safe mode anymore! (and I am noticing a considerable difference in volume from my machine.)

bchoen4, I realize you have already replaced your graphics card, but check out my post here in regards to the Gigabyte Radeon 3870 video card:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=842838

Guys need some help, got fed up with Vista, very desperate to make Leopard working.

Iam using EP35-DS3R, which guide can I use? Weaksauce?

I know that between EP35-DS3L and P35 the Audio is different, EP have 889A which requires different drivers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of all drivers that I will need for install? I already installed it a couple of times but I want to make sure I got it right.

For example on OSX86 library is says ( All motherboards with ALC889A onboard audio need to use ALCinject and patched AppleHDA.)

Thank you

I've found a fix for the EP35-DS3L and P35-DS3L internet connection on reawake.

1st: Go to System Preferences > Network

2nd: Take down all of the information (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS Server, Search Domains).

3rd: Change Configure from DHCP to Manually and reenter all of your information. Click apply.

I've found a fix for the EP35-DS3L and P35-DS3L internet connection on reawake.

1st: Go to System Preferences > Network

2nd: Take down all of the information (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS Server, Search Domains).

3rd: Change Configure from DHCP to Manually and reenter all of your information. Click apply.

I think I had to do something similar on my P35 board, but I used "DCHP with manual address" instead.