Installing 10.5.4 on the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

dci693

171 posts in this topic

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L Rev. 01 Bios F4

Q6600 2.4ghz

EVGA 8800GT 512MB

4GB G-Skill RAM (2x2)

SATA HDD and DVD

ASUS WL-138g V2 (works oob with nothing installed)

Using weaksacue guide everything works except for video - I have tried clean installs with EFI stuido, latest NV installer and nothing works.

Whenever I install a driver and reboot the system it boots and has a black screen with a cursor. Wait and some icons pop up (you have to "erase" the blackness). Under system profiler it shows 512mb nvidia but core is software and qe is not supported. Resolution is changed however to 1280x1024 (monitor native)

I am using Leo4ALLV3 with Ichx chipset, about this mac, SMB1066, and 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel. After that I follow weaksauces guide.

I have tried a clean install using Jas 10.5.4 client/server and the graphics card works with EFI studio (click click and it works).

Ideas?

Thank you.

Using Jas 10.5.4 works perfectly. Wifi, Sleep,Restart, Powerdown.

Simply follow weaksauce guide after the 10.5.4 update (install the ACPI kext and chud/powerdown fix). Using efi studio to install video driver. Dont install audio driver (its already there).

For Jas install settings I used:

Ichx chipset driver

SMbios 1066

ALC888

cleanup

Have not test lan. Everything seems working properly.

If you're talking about the NATIT thing that is included in the install dvd, then yes, and I also selected the white menu fix, although maybe that's the problem?
Sorry, I wish I knew more about video issues. I know that early in the P35 thread, there was mention of the white menu fix, but I don't know what it was for.

I think we have to consider me a 0% working attempt at using the GA-EP35-DS3L.

My setup:

Q6600

Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 3870

4gb Corsair 800 ram

Seagate 250 GB 7200 Hard Drive Sata

Sony ODD Sata

If anyone has any experience with the 3870 graphics card please help me, I think this may be my problem.  Whenever I install (following weaksauce's guide perfectly) I can never get to the setup menu.  I get successful install message, then it asks me to restart, then after a moment of the loading screen, it turns to fuzz.  I tried to install the patch for my video card but then I get a screen that looks like this http://macmediacast.com/wp-content/uploads...ernel-panic.jpg.  When I boot in verbose mode it stops in different places.

Could my hard drive be the problem? Or is it the graphics card? Maybe even my RAM?

I am willing to do almost anything necessary to get Leapord running on my compute.  I need definate answers though, because I have already made purchases (such as this motherboard) to get Leopard working but with no success. 

Thank you all for your support.

Just thought I would chime in with a success story. My EP35-DSL3 is running 10.5.4 now, almost flawlessly. It's a:

Gigabyte EP35-DSL3 F4 bios (came like that)

Intel E6600

XFX Nvidia 7950 GT (passively cooled!)

PS/2 keyboard

Very old PCI "Tulip" network card.

Several SATA hard drives

LiteON LightScribe SATA DVD-RW

Dual displays (one DVI, one Analog)

Weaksauce's instructions worked great, along with PCWIZ's PS/2 patch after the update to 10.5.4 to get my keyboard working agin. The on-board ethernet is behaving badly; it'll be fine on one boot, bad on the next. The Tulip card seems to work pretty well.

The only blemish is that I can't run at my E6600's 2.4ghz; Machine is a little wobbly. I had this CPU and memory in an NForce 650i board until recently and all was well, so I suspect I have something wrong in my BIOS.

OMG OMG Major breakthrough here, I finally got to the :D screen!!!!!! sooo many hours of trying. I had a revalation, maybe I should try the install again but this time boot with -x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" platform=X86PC and it worked holy moly. (although I'm not really sure which part of the script made the difference :P:lol: :lol: :P:lol:)

Tracking thread ;)

This is perfect timing; am building a Mac HTPC (HTMac???)

Can anyone confirm s/pdif (coax and optical) working in stereo and DD/DTS passthrough?

Also, has anyone successfully run two monitors at different resolutions AND refresh rates?

Thanks...

Adding to the growing list of success stories of this wonderful board. :D

My Setup:

Gigabyte EP35-DSL3 F4 bios

Intel E8400

Asus Nvidia EN8800GT 512MB

HDD Western Digital SATA 250GB

HDD Samsung SATA 250GB

DVDRW Samsung SATA S203B

PSU Cooler Master 460W Extreme

Kingston 2GB x 4 667Mhz DDR2

Generic Bluetooth dongle

Linksys WMP300N PCI

Apple BT Aluminium BT Keyboard

Apple BT Mighty Mouse

I followed weaksauce's excellent guide to the letter and most things work off the bat. Tested digital audio out with TOSLINK (2.1), mic in, analog audio out, sleep, wake, shutdown, reboot, gfx resolutions, CE/CI, disc burning, LAN and SMB sharing. All seems to be working fine. The only issue I have is that the OS won't detect my WMP300N wireless card. Some people have got it working by using relevant 10.5.1 kexts. I'm wary of messing up a stable installation, so I think I'll live with LAN for time being. ;)

Software-wise, I put it through its paces with Photoshop CS3, MS Office, VMWARE with Vista, Plex, VisualHub, Time Machine, Eve Online, Crossover Games, iTunes-iphone syncing and MacPorts for WINE and Hellanzb. Everything works as it should.

OMG OMG Major breakthrough here, I finally got to the :rolleyes: screen!!!!!! sooo many hours of trying. I had a revalation, maybe I should try the install again but this time boot with -x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" platform=X86PC and it worked holy moly. (although I'm not really sure which part of the script made the difference ;):lol: :lol: :P:lol:)

I was gonna suggest you boot with -x to get the generic VGA video drive then go here and find the driver for your card:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost

Patrick

I decided to go ahead and get the EVGA Geforce 7200GS 256mb card. I hope this allows me to run Leopard :)

I'll let you all know when it gets here, hopefully I'll be posting my success story from Leopard :P

That board should work just fine. It's the one I have (check my signature). I've had no graphics-related issues at all. I used the vanilla default install using the nvinject 5.2 included in weaksauce12's install pack.

ah that driver didn't seem to do the trick for my gigabyte radeon hd 3870, good thing I thought to clone my system so I didn't have to hassle with re-install for the 50th time. After a quick search it seems other people haven't had any success with this card and that driver.

good thing I have a new graphics card on the way!

questions: right now I always have to boot into safe modde, is this because I do not have a graphics card kext installed? And after my new card comes will I be able to boot the system without it being in safe mode? (evga geforce 7200 gs on the way)

edit: yeah dci693 I actually got the card from your sig hehe, I thought since you have 2x hackintoshes (and I read somewhere about this card being fine, probably one of your posts) it would work out well, plus it was only 40 bucks. so thanks a lot :P

I got mine system working almost 100 % (because i didn't test the sleep function) following weaksauce12's Guide.

My system Setup:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L with F5 BIOS

Q6600

4GB ram (G.SKILL DDR2-800 4-4-4-12)

EVGA 8600GT ssc edition 256mb

IDE 80GB HD (install windows XP on this drive and VMware see this HD as Boot camp drive)

SATA 120GB HD (OSX install on this with GUID)

SATA2 640GB HD (Data drive)

SATA Samsung DVD-/+RW drive

Linksys WMP300N (need the pacth to works)

by the way, I disable AHCI and native mode (for some reason my 120GB HD won't boot when I enable AHCI and native mode) for the SATA hard drive and shutdown and restart still works.

ah that driver didn't seem to do the trick for my gigabyte radeon hd 3870, good thing I thought to clone my system so I didn't have to hassle with re-install for the 50th time. After a quick search it seems other people haven't had any success with this card and that driver.

good thing I have a new graphics card on the way!

questions: right now I always have to boot into safe modde, is this because I do not have a graphics card kext installed? And after my new card comes will I be able to boot the system without it being in safe mode? (evga geforce 7200 gs on the way)

edit: yeah dci693 I actually got the card from your sig hehe, I thought since you have 2x hackintoshes (and I read somewhere about this card being fine, probably one of your posts) it would work out well, plus it was only 40 bucks. so thanks a lot ;)

I'm not sure about the safe mode. Could be that OSX just can't figure out the right driver and that's why you get the fuzzy screen. Anyway, with the eVGA 7200GS you definitely won't need to boot into safe mode. It just works with the nvinject vanilla install. I personally love a quiet computer, and fact that it was fanless was a big plus for me.

I have some sad news to report:

First of all, I was using a KingWin direct touch heat pipe CPU cooler, but the fan made a terribly annoying high pitched whine so I'd been running without the fan until I got a replacement. It didn't get too hot, the heat pipes did a good job. Last night I took the system apart to replace the cooler with a new KingWin (this fan didn't whine). I also added a firewire card.

I put the system back together, booted - everything seemed fine. Walked away, came back and the system was hung with a black screen. I immediately thought there was a problem with the cooler and re-booted and checked the CPU. Tried various things, but the CPU was cooling just fine (31 degrees C).

Tried booting again - kernel panicked before it even got booted. Figured it must be the firewire card (though it'd been pulled from a working system). Pulled it. Booted, but Mail was acting funny and I couldn't get online. Realized I'd plugged the ethernet into the motherboard connector when I hooked everything back up - moved it to the card, Mail got my email.

Was replying to an email and the system went black in the middle of my typing and rebooted. This is not good.

Remembered that I repaired permissions as well and that several kexts (including the BlueTooth ones) had their permissions repaired, indicating to me that they'd likely not been loading before. Booted into Safe Mode, renamed the IOBluetooth kexts - rebooted - still problems Mail wasn't showing my inbox, would crash when I tried to rebuild it.

Then the system wouldn't boot - once it wouldn't load the IOUSB family kext, but then it did. VERY flakey. I remembered others having problems with 4GB of ram and so I removed one stick (I have two 2 gig sticks).

BINGO - instant stability. I don't understand what happened to make my system sensitive to 4GB when it was fine before - unfortunately, I don't have the log from the Disk Utility to show which kexts had their permissions repaired, or I'd have some clue...

I'll report more as I learn.

Patrick

I remembered others having problems with 4GB of ram and so I removed one stick (I have two 2 gig sticks).

BINGO - instant stability. I don't understand what happened to make my system sensitive to 4GB when it was fine before - unfortunately, I don't have the log from the Disk Utility to show which kexts had their permissions repaired, or I'd have some clue...

I'll report more as I learn.

Patrick

Could it be the stick of RAM you took out went bad? If not, try the RAM in the other two matching DDR2 slots.

I suppose it's always possible, however, the fact that the RAM had been in use for maybe a year in the Bad Axe hack, then had been running perfectly fine in this one for a week, then suddenly went bad - not only that, but that I happened to pull that "bad" stick on the first try? I'll try it, but I doubt the RAM is bad...

Patrick

I'm not sure about the safe mode. Could be that OSX just can't figure out the right driver and that's why you get the fuzzy screen. Anyway, with the eVGA 7200GS you definitely won't need to boot into safe mode. It just works with the nvinject vanilla install. I personally love a quiet computer, and fact that it was fanless was a big plus for me.

After I installed the new card and nvinject vanilla I don't have to boot safe mode anymore! (and I am noticing a considerable difference in volume from my machine.)

As far as the ram issues for other users, I think you must have a bad ram module because I have been running 4gb, and now 8gb and there have been no hitches.

EDIT: I have discovered a new problem, I can't watch any flash videos. I tried to uninstall and re-install Adobe Flash Player but it did not work. I even used the uninstaller on Adobe's page but when I go to the download page it says "you have 9.xxxx flash player installed." even though I just UNINSTALLED!!! I can't seem to get anything working...anyone else experience this? To be a little more specific, the video will play for about 2 seconds and then freeze, and then if I move the timer to a different part, the same thing will happen. Quicktime works fine so I don't think it has to do with my videocard... thanks for any suggestions

I suppose it's always possible, however, the fact that the RAM had been in use for maybe a year in the Bad Axe hack, then had been running perfectly fine in this one for a week, then suddenly went bad - not only that, but that I happened to pull that "bad" stick on the first try? I'll try it, but I doubt the RAM is bad...

Patrick

Well, you never know. Since the PC was open and you were doubtlessly touching things in there (even unintentionally), you could just zapped the RAM stick. It's certainly the best explanation given the facts.

Okay, now this is just weird. I tested my 2 gig stick - no errors. Swapped it with the other stick. Tested again. No errors. Put in both sticks - 4GB total... tested and... wait for it....

no errors.

Everything is running just as before. Go figure.

Patrick

Okay, now this is just weird. I tested my 2 gig stick - no errors. Swapped it with the other stick. Tested again. No errors. Put in both sticks - 4GB total... tested and... wait for it....

no errors.

Everything is running just as before. Go figure.

Patrick

Interesting, but cool. I hope that fixed it for good!

I have the ep35 board with q6600, bfg 8800 gt, 8 gig ram, two sata 500 gig drives, IDE DVD, and can not fully install leopard. I followed the guide exactly and everything looks good during install until I reach about halfway through the 2 minutes remaining then it freezes. Any ideas?

I have the ep35 board with q6600, bfg 8800 gt, 8 gig ram, two sata 500 gig drives, IDE DVD, and can not fully install leopard. I followed the guide exactly and everything looks good during install until I reach about halfway through the 2 minutes remaining then it freezes. Any ideas?
Two minutes remaining on the initial install of the kalyway 10.5.2 DVD?