[RETAIL GUIDE] ASUS M50SV Notebook

THe KiNG

162 posts in this topic

Of course you did a great job !!!

I've tried with the original vanilla kext for the ethernet and it works just great.

I haven't checked the PCI card but I'll.

But for the moment I stay in 10.5.5 because few things are anoying (for me :thumbsup_anim: )

So like we said, there are issues with the GFX (but it isn't really a problem not to be able to hot unplug an external screen, so i might deal with it).

But what disturbs me is the time i have to wait before the laptop shutdown or restart (30 sec of blackscreen). The issue come from IOUSBfamily.kext because before 10.5.6 i was using this kext from the 10.4.9 version and the laptop restart and shutdown immediatly. But in the 10.5.6 if i keep using this kext i got kernel panic. I have tried several fix for poweroff but none of them worked.

May be you have found a way to fix this issue ?

Also i would like to ask you if you could make me a DSDT.aml (just for me :) ) without the sleep when you close the laptop but with still the sleep working when you ask for it via the menu.

I don't know if it would be hard or long for you to do that (maybe a line to remove or something like that).But if it is hard to do it, don't bother. It is just because i like to close my laptop when i'm using an external screen to watch a movie or when it's downloading during the night. I have tried to understand how the DSDT works but i get lost quickly :)

A quick fix is to use Fn + F7 that will turn off the backlight of your LCD, dunno how to remove LID support from DSDt, have to invastigate...must be one of the methods but no time for now, maybe later.

As for restart/shutdown bug I tough you know about VodooPower check www.superhai.com for it, also check for VoodooBattery ;)

For usb use Slice kexts for now will be fixed soon ;)http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029

As for monitor hotplug if apple will not fix it on new drivers i might make a launchdeamon with an applescript to detect monitors when u press lets say Alt+M...but later will see...

Ok, don't bother with the LID, it is just a detail (i don't like dust on my keyboard ;) )

I just saw yesterday this VoodooBattery yesterday, i'm gonna have to try this. Actually i'm using acpibattery.kext and AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext because if don't use only one of them i got a KP if i plug my battery on the laptop (but this don't have any effect on the poweroff).

So about the GFX it doesn't come from our configuration, it's actually a bug from Apple ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to pick up quite a few tips in this thread and had been contimplating an install of osx on my asus m50vm for a while and finally went ahead with good results.

Today i was able to install iPC OSX86 PPF5 on my Asus M50 VM B1, I found a modded bios on this forum, T9400, nVidia 9600M GS. and got the quartz extreme working by selecting the NVDarwin 1024 kext only and installing the nividia version 2 drivers from somewhere on this forum. onboard lan works same with bluetooth (no selection during install) only audio and wifi left to fix (not too cocerned that the wifi is not working with the Atheros card, this notebook uses a mini pci-e so an Intel replacement is only $50.00. I had tried lots of combinations to get quartz working. the fresh install with iPC is working very nice, just more reading and that will help me to get the audio going.

Thank You The King for your nice informative guide

M50VM B1 specs

Have you tried to use the DSDT patch from The King. If you install the latest version of Chameleon then copy the DSDT file in your Mac HD's root it will work just fine.

Do you have restart/shutdown working properly ?

I don't know why but i have never succeed to install iDeneb 1.3. I'm always using the 1.1 then doing the upgrade manually.

Hi, had no problems installing ideneb v 1.3 using your guide :-) use the modded bios, install, start in safemode, install drivers and reboot normally. I copied the the dsdt file and replace the old one, but no effect. shutdown works, but cannot resume from sleep. I'm new to this, how do i install/download chameleon? thanks for your help!

Hi, I'm using the bios from osxcores but the one for 10.5.5, i have asked for a 10.5.6 one, i hope it will be released soon.

If you install chameleon EFIv9 and then copy the new DSDT from the King, sleep should work just fine and you can remove the EFI string for the GFX.

Right now i'm not using the King's DSDT patch because i don't want the sleep :( but i ensure you that it is working.

By the way, The King, i've noticed one issues with the ethernet. Indeed, you don't need to modify IONETWORKINGFAMILY.kext anymore to make the ethernet working, but if you don't do it, you can't use Time Machine anymore. I don't know why.

I've installed the M50S modded bios found there : http://osrom.net/biosmod/

Then i think i've pretty much done what you've done.

I don't know if it could be the reason, but i'm using French keyboard (which is really different from other keyboards :) )

I'll check, because for example Fn+f7 and fn+f8 work

Well, i discoved today that my old Wifi dongle (Sagem XG-760N) given by my internet provider works perfectly with OS X

hi can u upload drivers for XG-760N

• 4 weeks later...

New ALC888 S/T for Notebook

So what's new in this one?

-fixed for latest snow build

-changed secondary HeadPhones to Line Out(kind of weird to have 2 HP)

-changed External mic to Line in(same reason^^) and now is on switch with internal mic that mean when you plug the jack on it internal mic is mute and switch to it and back when you remove it

-removed HDMI since is not working yet...

The kext: LINK

New DSDT.aml for it: LINK

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Hi The King,

I am working on a DSDT for the V1S. Could you please upload the unmodified DSDT.aml you based your changes on, so that I can see what fixes you made? At the moment I am still grappling with the _WAK fix, I changed it to look like in your DSDT, but without success. I'm also still looking for the right NVCAP, but with the 8600M it seems to ignore NVCAP from DSDT completely (at least according to ioreg -lw 0).

Regards,

obsidian23

Hi, it's been a long time without giving news.

I tried the latest DSDT The King made. I have some issues and i'd like to know if i'm the only one.

With this DSDT you don't need to mess up with the video, the ethernet, and several other stuff.

- But now if i use this DSDT i can't use anymore Time Machine. The software says that it can't find the network device to save.

- Also, i never succeed to make sleep working and i'm using the original bios.

I have time to work a bit on the lappy now. Could you tell me how do you edit the DSDT. I'd like to remove the Ethernet information in it and use Ionetworking.kext insteed.

Right now i'm under 10.5.7 but using the old kext for the sound and the applehda.kext from 10.5.6. And i'm using a modded bios.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to slashack who broke the 2.5/3 GB of RAM barrier my eSATA is working now, only remain to be fixed is hotplug, for now you have to boot with hdd connected in order to use it(Tip if you want to boot OS X or other OS from it, put it as first hdd on boot in BIOS), more info in his dedicated topic: AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved

Here is my modded(added dev id on it): M50SV eSATA

Thanks for the guide, helped me get my M50 up and running in no time.

Any chance of getting a fresh link for the eSATA kext above as the link above now appears to be broken.

Thanks again

There it is : http://rapidshare.com/files/240718416/Appl...A.kext.zip.html

I'd like to know, which release have you used on your laptop ? Are you using the King's latest dsdt ? Because, when i use this one, sleep still doesn't work and i can't use Time machine. thanks

Yeah I'm using Kings most recent one and sleep works, although bluetooth stay turned off when you resume from sleep.

Haven't played with time machine yet.

There it is : http://rapidshare.com/files/240718416/Appl...A.kext.zip.html

I'd like to know, which release have you used on your laptop ? Are you using the King's latest dsdt ? Because, when i use this one, sleep still doesn't work and i can't use Time machine. thanks

How exceptionally rude of me, many many thanks for the link!

Which release of OS X are you using ? Ideneb ? IPc ? Kalyway ?

I'm using IPC 10.5.6 Live DVD. I've used the apple software update to install the 10.5.7 files and it seems to work fine.

Changed my wireles card to an Atheros 5008 based card so my airport works fine.

Still haven't gotten the eSATA to work, my M50 has a J-micron JMB350 based chip.

The esata doesn't work when hotplugged. You have to start you laptop with you esata drive plugged.

Could you tell me all the option you've selected during the installation of iPC ?

before applying the King's DSDT how did you do ?

thanks

The esata doesn't work when hotplugged. You have to start you laptop with you esata drive plugged.

Could you tell me all the option you've selected during the installation of iPC ?

before applying the King's DSDT how did you do ?

thanks

Ah, tried booting with the drive connected no joy the system seems to hang when booting with the AppleVIAATA.kext loaded, removed system booted fine.

For the IPC options.

Straight install + Latest Macbook Pro Nvidia Kexts+ DSDT patch + PS2 Keyboard driver + OSX86 apps didn't use the voodoo kernel, tried to keep it pretty standard.

After that used the Kings

DSDT.aml file to replace the IPC one

replaced the default com.apple.boot.plist

installed the ALC888ST kext

ok, thanks.

i'll redownload iPC. Right now i'm using XxX OS86 and it works well exept sleep/shutdown/restart which takes 30 sec.

Could you try to use time machine, just to know if it works. Because i know that when i used The King's DSDT and time machine it says something like "no network interface"

ok, thanks.

i'll redownload iPC. Right now i'm using XxX OS86 and it works well exept sleep/shutdown/restart which takes 30 sec.

Could you try to use time machine, just to know if it works. Because i know that when i used The King's DSDT and time machine it says something like "no network interface"

eSATA now working, somehow buggered the kext install my bad.

Timemachine works on local drives having issues with the netowk drives although I'm trying to backup to and smb share, it can see the share and starts the back up but then fails saying unable to create image.