[RETAIL GUIDE] ASUS M50SV Notebook

THe KiNG

162 posts in this topic

This one seems had the specs of my Acer but except mine had a Dual Core and the Intel GMA 965 X3100 (and that's suck!). One more time, you give the idea of sold my poor Hackbook wich I hate it for life. Thanks for this guide. And btw, you can switch your Mini PCIe Intel wireless by a Dell 1390 card, works well :D

This is a great information for M50Sv...

There is one thing I could not understand clearly. Will it be possible to use Vista without any problem after changing the BIOS?

Also it seems there are couple of things which do not work. How did you find the overall performance and do you feel that you can work on this system or you still feel it is not working 100% and a bit fragile?

Thank you.

Vista works just fine with modded bios (look at the end of first post for SLIC, you have to patch Kabyl's bios first to have SLIC on it required fr vista activation...) I'm using now x64 version works just fine using chameleon as bootloader.

Related to performance...you know vista and m$ just sukcs... Leopard is the best/stable SO I test ever! Minus Linux I cant speak on it b/c I don't use it.

Keep an eye here for more future updates and info, I'm trying to make the best guide ever for this baby. :D

Hey THe KiNG,

I started writing a guide in an other topic about how to TRY to install Mac OS.... but when I saw this topic I deleted my two pages of text and cause I realized you've got way further then me. Good job. I have a M50S as well and can't wait to see your guide!

Thanks Man!

Hi TheBreak Taker,

Glad that you find it useful :hysterical:

I'm still on testing faze with vanilla install, some things dosen't work yet like audio on vanilla install(chameleon boot 132 method) and still require kext replacement.

Still messing with it, and soon as I get it working I will write the final part of the guide and post the files.

Also still cant get internal mic working with alc888 leopard kext, I hate "Sound Assertion MixerWidget" errors and cant catch Taruga to ask for help.

Also IntelEnhancedSpeedStep is in dev, I'd like to include it also.

If you have any idea on what can I do more feel free to share it :D

Sorry man, no where in your guide or title does it say that you wanted a completely vanilla install. seems like you making this easy task a lot harder than it should be.

PS.

If anyone needs any help easily installing this on their M50Sv, just send me a message, I have everything running smoothly except for the wireless.

The goal for me is to make it best possible vanilla, less hacks on system kexts(that mean none) or plists or...

Yes that takes time but in the end is simple as one cd for boot and install from retail dvd ore restore one, and play!

And not be scared by apple updates...

To use a custom made dvd is a n00b task maybe in your opinion(lot of topics on what to select now, or hey dosent boot i got spining cycle...), but imho is much easy task to boot from cd, swap cd with retail dvd, install, then boot from cd select hdd for boot, update to latest ver of OS X available, install just one pkg from cd and done with patching.

I have everything running smoothly except for the wireless.

Then why you don't share your experience instead advertising iDeneb dvd?

I doubt that you have everything smoothly, but if so please, again, share.

Thanks!

I wasn't advertising the dvd, just letting people know whats out there. I'm not trying to start a war or anything, just trying to help people who don't know how to do as much as you.

Anyway, I have the vanilla kernel and the bootloader by chameleon. I used the NVinject 0.2.1 for 512mb for my video card. The bluetooth works just like you said. My audio is working with the ALC888 patch. I had to use the ApplePS2Controller so my keyboard and touch pad would work. At first it didn't recognize my blu-ray/dvd drive so I had to install the ICHx chipset kexts. Your guide for the marvell ethernet didn't work for me so I used this guide and its working fine http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t100755.html . Thats about all I had to do to get it running.

I've only had one kernel panic and that was when I was messing around with the wireless which still doesn't work. I used the svn code for it, but it will scan the wireless and find mine but it won't connect to it. (This isn't with airport, its with the networkselector that included with the 4965agn drivers) While I was doing that, I got a kernel panic. I haven't tried it since and haven't had any other problems.

edit

I forgot to add that it doesn't like to shutdown or sleep. Its not a big deal though. I tell it to shut down and everything unloads but the laptop is still powered on so I just hold the button down until it shuts off. (I guess you wouldn't include that as running smoothly)

First, thank you The King for the tutorial you've done. I'm a noob with Mac stuff, but i succeed to install leopard. So your guide is understable for new mac users. I also used a french tutorial for a Asus G2 but it's almost the same computer.

To make the ethernet working, I've installed Attansic L1 Ethernet.pkg, because editing the kext didn't work.

I have few questions for you, may be you can help me. I've installed Taruga's driver for the sound card and almost everything works as you said. But if I want to connect external speakers, i have to select which sound output i want to use in the system properties. If i just plug the speakers, OSX keep using the internal speaker. May be you know how to make it automatic.

Also, the webcam seems to be recognized by leopard, but i've got nothing to try it. I wanted to try it with Photo Booth, but it says that the video card doesn't support photo booth. Is it the same for you ?

Thank you

Hi Kmikase,

Dunno how to make it automate, Taruga kext have some minor errors, now I'm focused to get internal mic working and get rid of that "Sound assertion" errors.

Also I'm proud to announce that I got AppleHDA.kext loading and working from /Extra folder, so the retail guide is coming soon!

About webcam, just tried and yes is not working with Photo Booth even if status led is lighting, I have same bug after finish install when create user account, you can take a shot and use it as picture user - dosen't work!

Dunno yet what cause that, I have more important things to fix, but i will try later...

Keep an eye here..

P.S. Webcam works just fine on messenger so dunno what is the bug on the rest...yet.

Ok, I'll try to find some fixes too. Have you succeed to watch a DVD ? DVD player says there is no video device to read it (error 710017).

EDIT: I finally succeed to open Photo booth, but the webcam is not working on it.

I also succeed to launch dvd player but i can read any dvd. The program says "current format not supported". Strange it is a normal movie.

DVD player says there is no video device to read it (error 710017).

That mean you have:

Core Image: Software instead of Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extrfeme: Not Suported

Use my com.apple.boot.plist for video drivers.

I did use your com.apple.boot.plist. And i also tried nvkush but OSX doesn't start with nvkush.

First I've installed NVinstaller10.2 to make my graphic card working. Should I delete it and then install your plist or it should be ok like this ?

Because, DVD player still doesn't want to read any movie.

Hi king . I've got a problem ... i need to plug external monitor to VGA port, but even with your com.apple.plist, I'm unable to do it. I've successfully installed my 9500GS without ur plist before , but had a same problem ... What is really strange, nvkush never worked for me, so i tried 9800 kexts package then nvinstaller 4.1. White menu problems .. so i tried 5.2 and white menu problems solved even with hardware acceleration and QE supported. But still no external monitor ... when i plugged monitor into VGA port and clicked detect displays , both monitors suddenly went black and i was forced to hold power off button ... Any ideas how to fix it ?

Nico are you french ?

I've found the solution for the 9500M GS. Nico if you look closer to the com.apple.boot.plist you've downloaded, you'll see it's a .zip file.

I just discovered it now. So open the zip file and copy the "real" com.apple.boot.plist into the folder The King said. Reboot and it is working.

It solves all my DVD problems. In fact, i have formated my mac partition this afternoon and I did almost everything The king said. Except for the ethernet, I've edited the file, reboot and then i've installed this : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=2659…

I asked this because nico sounds French and i would have been easier for me to explain in french.

Yes it works perfectly with the external monitor. You plug it and it starts. Are you sure you've open the zip file ? because i didn't pay attention at first then i saw that OSX didn't ask me if i wanted to replace the file. Then i discovered it was a .zip

If the new list is installed, you'll notice it. When you launch OSX, you won't have the apple on the grey background but a lot of command prompt on your screen.

If you don't have this, it's not installed yet.

Guys allways pay attentions on what you did and also read well!

NicoOSX dunno if u notice but i'm trying to remove all hacks from system and i'm almost done!

In order to use my stuff u have to use vanilla kexts and bundle alo!

Once you use a installer(that contain hacked kexts) you lose vanilla and almost in all cases will not work with my stuff!

Also use dedicated apps to do stuff like OSX86Tools

Yeah King i thought that, but i made these changes long before u posted that nice guide ... Now i need to get rid off those kexts, but i'm unsure whether system gonna crash or not ... Is there any save way how to uninstall these ? Btw a month ago i tried many com.apple.plist.com files, even modified by myself, but i was unable to get QE and HW working, therefore i tried those packages and it successfully installed everything i needed except that VGA port ...

But your computer is a M50Sv ? Mine is not exactly the same as The King but it works (cpu: T9300).

But may be we are not using the same install of OSX. I'm using the one from Kaliway

I've done the installation in this order :

- installed Kalyway 10.5.2,

- installed the bootfix

- Installed the 10.5.3 comboupdate from kaliway.

- patched the time difference with vista

- patched the ethernet

- installed the sound

- installed gfx plist

- update to 10.5.4

- installed Chun-Nan AppleACPIBatteryManager for the batteries

i haven't installed yet the bluetooth.

I think you should reinstall everything. But be sure to use kaliway 10.5.2

Sure it is. Well i've done it this way

- patched BIOS with moded BIOS by Kabyl

- installed Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1

- installed comboupdate to 10.5.3 then updated to 10.5.4

- installed efi_v8

- then those kexts ... installed 9800GTX strings

- installed nvinstall 4.1 with 512MB vanilla = white menu problem

- installed nvinstall 5.2 with 512MB vanilla = solved white menu

Also installed that battery manager and sound for headphone output. Bluetooth was working from the beginning.

now need to get VGA port working ... I'm not sure how to uninstall these kexts ... and i can't reinstall whole system , cause I'm already working with it ...

Guys again I'm using only vanilla installs dont install my stuff on other machines, may work but mostly dont!.--> "my" is a improper word but i s**k on english...

Wait until i will finish this guide then make a clean install, NicoOSX there are a plenty of backups programs, u can use them to put in a safe place your files and recover them on a clean install.

I just got SpedStep working with vanilla kernel using mercurysquad IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext and tuxx SpeedStep GUI.

Thanks so much for this guy you are the best! Also thanks to all people from #xnu-chat! Keep up the good work!

All files and guides here: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep Topic