Prune inactive accounts

7 posts in this topic

As a fellow InsanelyMac user and contributor, I believe that it is on all of our roles played by numerous members, to look out for the place. I have come up with a small idea, to prune inactive accounts. Lets take a look at what lord_muad_dib's member statistics.

with a rapid count...

we have.. about a total of 224209 registered users

about 161300+ registered and validated users with 0 posts

about 1920 users registered but not validated

224209 - (161300 + 1920) = 60989

only about 60989 users with more than 0 posts

the total posts count(that maybe doesn't include deleted posts) is about 802,534

you'll get the picture...

Those numbers are pretty shocking, no? I think that we should come up with a plan to prune inactive accounts with people that haven't accessed their account in a year and 0 posts and less than 50 per year. This could make the forum database quicker and lighter, benefiting everybody. Sounds like a good idea to me, what say you InsanelyMac-ers?

Yes, you should remove those without any posts.

As for per year, remove them if there is less than 15 posts.

For those users who have not validated, they should be deleted after 1 month (only takes 30 seconds to validate :) )

That's a bit more reasonable for those who are busy or would like to download the files but do not have much experience to contribute to this great site. :D

Yes, you should remove those without any posts.

As for per year, remove them if there is less than 15 posts.

For those users who have not validated, they should be deleted after 1 month (only takes 30 seconds to validate :) )

That's a bit more reasonable for those who are busy or would like to download the files but do not have much experience to contribute to this great site. :D

Yeah that sounds good too. What does staff think?

I think your .sig is out of order, but as for the posts, I'd like to eliminate the real life, thunderdome & other non-relevant subfora from the count & "prune" thise who only post there.

Your Idea is quite good MoC, but there are 2 things

1. It does not actually make the database any faster becuase the records are accessed in a by-member-id fashion (Only selecting the Member ID's we need out of the haystack) just smaller in size and since we host ourselves, we don't have to worry much about space

2. Many people still use their accounts. Also you can't really have visits as a accurate measurement because many members do login as anonymous. I remember when I used to do that for a couple of months until I came out of the shadows :(

Your Idea is quite good MoC, but there are 2 things

1. It does not actually make the database any faster becuase the records are accessed in a by-member-id fashion (Only selecting the Member ID's we need out of the haystack) just smaller in size and since we host ourselves, we don't have to worry much about space

2. Many people still use their accounts. Also you can't really have visits as a accurate measurement because many members do login as anonymous. I remember when I used to do that for a couple of months until I came out of the shadows ;)

But yearly Suhail, not a monthly prune. :)

Also you can't really have visits as a accurate measurement because many members do login as anonymous. I remember when I used to do that for a couple of months until I came out of the shadows :)
I could never see why we have a anonymous login system. What's the point. If anything I think it takes away from the site and the community.