Virgin Media Throttling

16 posts in this topic

I hate Virgin Media soooo much, but in the times I do get the 10mb on my L Package I am very happy. Luckily I am one of them people who's UBR's are not over subscribed so I get the full 10mb until STM kicks in. These new daytime rules do suck :(

• 4 weeks later...

i use a hacked cable modem so when they throttle me i just change the modems mac address and im back up

i dont pay vm a penny for my net and neer will till they drop the traffic management

i also sell the modems if anybody is interested

they dont clock me because as far as the system knows im a genuine customer ie so i get access but as far as anything else i dont exists im not in there billing system

basicaly if you think of vm's network as one big router and its got a system that lets only registered mac addresses connect to it then all i do is scan there network from a different ubr gateway for mac addresses steal one or a few thousand then program my modem with it when needed then force the speed config file to 20 meg and the jobs done ;)

ps i charge £40 delivered ( thats £3 more than 1 months 20 meg connection ) and thats with full after sales support bargain i think

• 2 weeks later...
they dont clock me because as far as the system knows im a genuine customer ie so i get access but as far as anything else i dont exists im not in there billing system

basicaly if you think of vm's network as one big router and its got a system that lets only registered mac addresses connect to it then all i do is scan there network from a different ubr gateway for mac addresses steal one or a few thousand then program my modem with it when needed then force the speed config file to 20 meg and the jobs done :D

Only if the area does not have encrypted configs, alot of areas its hard to find a 20Mbit mac.

ps i charge £40 delivered ( thats £3 more than 1 months 20 meg connection ) and thats with full after sales support bargain i think

And what modem would that be? you can get them for £20 if you look around (for Ambit 200/250) and £30 for Motorola/Surfboard.

This is one of many reasons my household is switching to talktalk broadband. I don't suppose other virgin users know that virign are now tracking what you download and sending the reports off to the old bill?

I would stay away from Talktalk. It's even worse. Been there and got disconnected because I was downloading too much (on their supposedly unlimited package). Customer service was absolute mess and the connection s**ked badly. It's better to put up with Virgin for the moment as eventually most provider will be throtling. At least with Virgin Media you know that you can download as much as you want between 9pm - 9am. During the day I simply stop my downloads. Not ideal but I can live with it for the moment.

And btw, virgin is not tracking your downloads. Records companies do, if they find you are sharing 'illegal' music then they will request virgin to send you a letter. Virgin themselves do not spy on you (at least they are denying it). if you really after privacy go through services like swissvpn.net . That will not solve your throttling issue but it will certainly make almost impossible for BPI to trace and prosecute you.

• 1 month later...

Well, this has happened to me - I have been deemed a "Heavy Internet" user - with a whopping 5.04GB od data passing from the web to my computer in a month ( period 5th Sep to 5th Oct ) my connection is now a whopping 300-40kbs a sec.... i am on the 10mb connection...

After an hour long conversation of them not being able to tell me why i am being traffic managed - due to all the figures they give me being a really low download, considering I play games online, they have said anything over 1.2GB a day in peak times will instantly get me throttled.

Great news. Anyway after very long and not very fruitful conversation with their call centre, we have told them to stick it up their arses and getting the whole thing ripped out - Telephone, XL TV & Broadband - I am not paying 25 quid a month ( I am not giving them over a grand of my money a year to be tricked ) for a poxy speed to be talked to like I have done something wrong, I challenged them and they couldnt give me adequate answers. so they can F off.

Good luck Mr Branson...

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Hmm nonnyboy, I do think you've come on a bit hard there. But I do see your side of the story.

Fortunately I get a decent deal from Virgin Media and my parents like what they are getting and don't want to change. I honestly don't mind downloading during the night and early in the morning since I am awake after those times doing school work.

PS: You get a 1 hour download period between 3pm and 4pm :o. Didn't know that. *Goes to Schedule Downloads*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
now using the new 50meg config file thats maxing my modem out at 32 meg

Yeah...go on...rub it in even more, moved away from blighty 4 years ago when it was still Telewest, all I get here in Eire is a poxy 1meg link, and that's costing me €40 a month....with a 15gb quota !!!

Although at least the pubs don't close till 2am in my neck of the woods :censored2: