Q6600 @ 2.4GHz better for Logic/Cubase than E8400 @ 3GHz?

Threepwood

7 posts in this topic

The choice in the Cubase case is a quad, due to the excellent multicore support. Logic is still best optimized for dual cores but when Snow Leopard comes the apps will have more help from the OS itself for optimized distribution over the cores.

The Q6600 is very easy tp overclock to 3.0 Ghz with stock cooling. So, I guess I should advice you buying a quad.

Hello. I have read that a computer with 2 processor sockets is harder to optmise than for one. As far as i know single dual or quad are both well supported under mac and pc. hope that helps.

ps there are currently issues iwith cubase pc with the dual socket octo configurations. :)

I don't think it would make a huge different, but a slightly noticeable one for sure. But I'll tell you what, you should go for the Q9300 if you have the cash.

Q6600=2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2x4MB L2 Cache, 65nm

Q9300=2.50GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 1x6MB L2 Cache, 45nm

Just remember if you're going for the Q9300 (I would anyway), you need to find a motherboard capable of taking a 45nm chip. ASUS P5K-E WiFi/AP anyone? It's the motherboard I'm getting. I can tell you this, my friend has a P5K-E WiFI/AP, and its a Hackintosh. The speeds and compatibility is just amazing. The only problem is PATA/IDE, so plan on using all SATA. But the eSATA ports work fine, and sound too. USB is fine, everything but that god damn JMicron PATA/IDE support. Go for it mate, get the Q9300. Btw, heres a link to the P5K-E with WiFi/AP. AP=Access Point

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131196 (Only $150 US Dollars!)

• 2 months later...